Recent content by Captain Obvious

1. C

Licking Heights VS Sheridan Generals

Licking Heights from what I can tell serves a very diverse population. There’s a statement on their district website highlighting the number of spoken languages in the district and how they go about servicing those students. Twenty percent of their students participate in their ELL program with...
  2. C

Coverage of High School Sports

I don’t think the coverage has changed as much as the medium used to produce content and the platforms where it is hosted. You are better off familiarizing yourself with league websites if you’re in search of stats and box scores. Youtube, Tik Tok, Facebook, Twitter and Instagram all have video...
  3. C

Who wins D4?

Not really. Posters have been led to believe that all transfers in NW Ohio are to be frowned upon regardless of circumstance(s). I guess I proved there are extenuating circumstances, most notably having relatives and attending family cookouts in said towns. You and I know many in those...
  4. C

Who wins D4?

It’s the kids in most cases initiating the conversation. Modern social media allows any kid to “hit up” another with incredible ease. A kid can start a private conversation with any guy or girl on Snapchat and/or Instagram within minutes of meeting them. This isn’t the good old days of seeking a...
  5. C

Who wins D4?

The OHSAA appears to recognize the modern student population is very transient. I had a class of about twenty kids last year and only fifteen had been in the district the previous five years without some movement. A few had moved to neighboring districts for a variety of reasons and returned...
  6. C

St. Ignatius basketball 2023-2024

I commented earlier the first view I had was inconclusive as to which fans they were interacting with. The students were definitely grouped behind the basket. The videos I’ve seen since appear to be a group of older adults/parents. What gets me is the number of times I’ve heard adults take shots...
  7. C

St. Ignatius basketball 2023-2024

The only video I’ve seen was inconclusive. The players ran to a corner of the arena and looked to be gesturing to pump it up to a group not seen on camera. The Hayes student section was clearly visible behind the basket and players did not appear to be making any gestures in that direction...
  8. C

Who wins D3?

The size of the pool HP is selecting players from is way, way smaller unless Rod Parsley is flying all over Columbus to pick up preschoolers and retired folks in his helicopter. You can shrink that 500K or 2 million in the metro area to probably a two digit number. Using those numbers for effect...
  9. C

Seven Divisions Won't Change This Problem

I’ll probably catch heck for it but AAU and all other travel sports seem to have it figured out with pool and bracket play. There has to be some way to pool (districts?) teams and come out with gold and silver brackets for tournament play within each division. Maybe use RPI to help determine who...
  10. C

Saturday, March 16 Final Scores

While I agree it can be a frustrating service, their success is dependent on many factors, most notably a school or third party provider being able to provide a viable stream.
  11. C

Who wins D4?

If I didn’t know any better I’d think players were posting on this thread.
  12. C

Top recruit daring OHSAA to suspend him

It is less about leaving a player off the roster as it the hidden costs associated with being on it. While a school may or may not require pay to play there are other expenses. Many high school athletes are required by their program(s) to purchase travel outfits, team-specific bat bags, batting...
  13. C

Top recruit daring OHSAA to suspend him

Lots of generalizations on this thread. Every kid playing club isn’t looking to for an athletic scholarship and every kid isn’t identified as a prospect through the same means. The reasons and motivations for playing club are the choice of the parent and player. My kids enjoyed their club...
  14. C

OHSAA Why would you schedule Boys and Girls tournament games on the same day?

I’d assume they (SWDAB and district admins) have not made any changes in an effort to remain neutral. I’ll also add it’s extremely common for Ohio Capital Conference members to play boys and girls basketball on the same night opposite each other.