Elyria Catholic head coach

I wonder if EC will be able to attract athletes to the football program...........

It would appear that they are desirous of returning to era of 1976-mid 80s under Rattay, and players like Bryan Thomas, Al McKinney, 3 state titles, et al.......

EC has three state championships? I did not know that.

if nothing else, the new staff will be able to recruit off name recognition alone.
EC was a state football power during the 1970’s, 80’s and into the 90’s. They’ve had ups and downs since then, though they’ve never had a bad stretch…or even season…but only recently have they become more of a state playoff factor. Fox is a very good coach and ironically he left EC for Elyria High. He’s the better coach, but the OSU guys are going to be able to sell a different kind of experience. I think EC sees the rise of privates like Lutheran West and others through the voucher program and are going all in on sports again and will take full advantage of the voucher program with Lorain and Elyria kids.

I think this is a gimmick hire intended to bring in more kids from Elyria and Lorain. These guys have not coached and are not in the building. I do however see this as an opportunity for T.S as with this experience he could be lining himself up to be the next Glenville coach.

EC was a state football power during the 1970’s, 80’s and into the 90’s. They’ve had ups and downs since then, though they’ve never had a bad stretch…or even season…but only recently have they become more of a state playoff factor. Fox is a very good coach and ironically he left EC for Elyria High. He’s the better coach, but the OSU guys are going to be able to sell a different kind of experience. I think EC sees the rise of privates like Lutheran West and others through the voucher program and are going all in on sports again and will take full advantage of the voucher program with Lorain and Elyria kids.

EC football would have been a power for a while had their administration not forced the coaching staff to leave in 86. The program never reached the heights of the Jim Rattay era. Health issues forced Rattay to leave the state a number of years later, but the football program would have been in better hands had he been able to hand over the reins.

Rumor has it that Chase Ferris was passed over for the Elyria High HC job, and Fox was on the phone begging him to join his staff at Elyria. I haven't heard why Fox made the move. He will make some improvements at EHS, but I still don't see them beating Avon, Avon Lake, or Olmsted Falls.

Rumor has it that Chase Ferris was passed over for the Elyria High HC job, and Fox was on the phone begging him to join his staff at Elyria. I haven't heard why Fox made the move. He will make some improvements at EHS, but I still don't see them beating Avon, Avon Lake, or Olmsted Falls.

Story in the elyria chronicle today said Farris did apply for the elyria job but was turned down because of no experience. was going to join Fox's staff until EC came calling. story said Fox didn't apply for the elyria job, they came to him and enticed him with the public school benefits package he would get.

Fox left for money and the things a public school can give you that a Catholic can’t and you can’t blame him. If he can get the kids out for football they could be a good program.

All these guys have advanced football knowledge, always been a big fan of hiring former D1 and pro guy for these reasons, naturally they've done nothing but study and practice football for about 300 plus days a year for 4 plus years. That being said can they translate and simplify that to the high school level for high school athletes that are shared in other sports? I have feeling "the establishment" high school coaches will hate this just like college coaches hated Deon Sander and pro coaches hated Joey Porter and other pro players coaching without "going through the process" . I just wish they would done it at a public school.

All these guys have advanced football knowledge, always been a big fan of hiring former D1 and pro guy for these reasons, naturally they've done nothing but study and practice football for about 300 plus days a year for 4 plus years. That being said can they translate and simplify that to the high school level for high school athletes that are shared in other sports? I have feeling "the establishment" high school coaches will hate this just like college coaches hated Deon Sander and pro coaches hated Joey Porter and other pro players coaching without "going through the process" . I just wish they would done it at a public school.
I agree, but not all ex-players can coach. Since I would like to see EC do well, I hope these guys turn out to be great coaches and mentors.

Sure gave Bellevue much frustration during 80s

I agree, but not all ex-players can coach. Since I would like to see EC do well, I hope these guys turn out to be great coaches and mentors.
I agree as well. I think the biggest factor here is Farris. He's a guy who went to Ohio State, then the NFL and played about 6-7 years in pro football despite never being a "big time prospect." He more fits the profile of these D3 college grinders who turn out to be great head coaches.

I think even without coaching experience (most of that was due to playing pro football up until 2 years ago), he's going to be a star at EC. He'll keep the base of the program. He's going to be a major thorn in the side in getting Elyria HS athletes with his ties to the school (and EdChoice). There is really now no reason for any potential star player to stay at Lorain when they can basically go to EC for free (again EdChoice).

I don't think it will have a big effect on the two big established programs in Lorain County ... Avon or Avon Lake .. but I could see EC being more of an option for a kid who may be blocked at one of the other two and there would be an opening to start at EC.

I agree as well. I think the biggest factor here is Farris. He's a guy who went to Ohio State, then the NFL and played about 6-7 years in pro football despite never being a "big time prospect." He more fits the profile of these D3 college grinders who turn out to be great head coaches.

I think even without coaching experience (most of that was due to playing pro football up until 2 years ago), he's going to be a star at EC. He'll keep the base of the program. He's going to be a major thorn in the side in getting Elyria HS athletes with his ties to the school (and EdChoice). There is really now no reason for any potential star player to stay at Lorain when they can basically go to EC for free (again EdChoice).

I don't think it will have a big effect on the two big established programs in Lorain County ... Avon or Avon Lake .. but I could see EC being more of an option for a kid who may be blocked at one of the other two and there would be an opening to start at EC.
Avon or Avon Lake will not be affected, but all the other schools in the county could feel it if Farris gets EC going big time. Lorain is ripe for the picking. Elyria HS might not be as easy, though. Fox is a very good coach and if he can turn in an 8-2 or 9-1 season this season he could make the Pioneers the preferred program for Elyria’s best.

Avon or Avon Lake will not be affected, but all the other schools in the county could feel it if Farris gets EC going big time. Lorain is ripe for the picking. Elyria HS might not be as easy, though. Fox is a very good coach and if he can turn in an 8-2 or 9-1 season this season he could make the Pioneers the preferred program for Elyria’s best.
Wellington, Oberlin, Keystone

8-2 and 9-1 in the SWC? No shot. EC played in a terrible conference. Even NR beat 2 of the top 4 teams in that conference last year

I agree that Avon and Avon Lake won't be affected outside of maybe a player or two who would be blocked at one of those schools, but that's even if these hires pan and Elyria Catholic becomes a magnet for Lorain County talent. For now, I'm guessing it will be mainly the same kids who normally would have went to EC along with some transfers/MS enrollees from Lorain, Clearview and maybe Brookside.

If schools like Amherst, Midview and maybe even North Ridgeville continue to bring up the rear in the SWC, I could see some of the better players there start to look at EC as well.

You're right about Elyria. That Fox/Farris and EHS/EC dynamic will be interesting to see how it shakes out. But Elyria needs to take that next step. The move to the SWC has been mixed, or baby steps at best. They are nowhere near ready to compete with Avon (though that isn't a surprise because Avon is on the same level as Mentor or Medina) and while they have played Avon Lake close twice and Olmsted Falls close this past year, they still haven't gotten over those humps ... or even the Berea-Midpark hump. So, they've really only beaten the three schools they should have ... and Lorain and Bedford (two more schools they also should have). Their best win the past two years, ironically, is Brian Fox's Elyria Catholic team two years ago (who they also lost to last year).

That's a long-winded way of saying (and I've always rooted for Elyria from afar due to family ties there) is that I think Fox has to come in and elevate the program right away. If not, Farris will have the ears of families in Elyria about coming over there and being in a position where they will win a lot of games (whether it's the GLC or some new private school set up) and have an opportunity to make a run toward a state appearance.

Obviously, Fox can sell that the reason Elyria Catholic has been so successful the past couple of years is due it being the program he built.

8-2 and 9-1 in the SWC? No shot. EC played in a terrible conference. Even NR beat 2 of the top 4 teams in that conference last year
That could be a selling point. If Elyria Catholic remains in the GLC, they will win 7-8 regular season games and put themselves in a position (since all the schools they play are D2/D3 ... so those points add up) to get some favorable playoff matchups.

Goes to what I said above. If Elyria has another 5-5 type season and EC has another 10-win season, it makes it easier to sell to an Elyria public school kid to come over to EC ... "why go to Elyria and finish .500 and lose a first-round playoff game, when you can come here; we'll win a lot of games and put ourselves in a position to make another deep run in the playoffs."