No Stage for state finals

so what kind of testing are they doing to be allowed to wrestle against the boys?
if the boys have to be tested to wrestle girls shouldnt the girls be tested to wrestle boys?
fair is fair and equal is equal
the same testing they do when a girl plays any other boys sports.

the means to watch it on track has to have an effect on attendance
I mostly disagree, the tournament began live-streaming on Trackwrestling just last year (2022), the decline in attendance occurred about ten years prior. Sure, streaming / televising an event will always have some effect on the in-person attendance of an event, but again, comparing the attendance from 2019 against 2022 (both around 55,000 total) doesn't reflect an appreciable effect of streaming contributing to a declining attendance.

Yes, that is the cost of the platform rental and the stagehand labor that assembles. This isn't a guess, this is direct knowledge. The previous cost for the 3-mat setup was closer to $30,000, and even that was a jump by about $6,000 compared to pre-pandemic costs.
The OHSAA needs to do a better job of bidding/pricing jobs. They are being robbed. They could purchase the materials for that platform and have it built for much cheaper than that. Then they could store the purchased materials locally for peanuts and basically just pay labor costs to put it together every year, only having to swap out minimal materials.

Honestly, you could frame a small home for cheaper than that.

Btw, with knowledge of these numbers... can you tell me what profit the OHSAA collects from the State tournament? Don't forget to include their new sponsorship deal with Rudis, and their profits from the video streams.

No, it was years before that, I don't remember the exact years. This isn't secret information, they print the total attendance in the state tournament program. I want to say the peak years at the Schott were around 2005-2008 averaging around 75,000 attendance across all sessions but from 2008-2019 (approximately) it was a steady decline and then leveling off to about 55,000 total attendance the last several years.

I don't think the Fri-Sun schedule change had an appreciable effect on total attendance in 2022 if I recall correctly.

I'm sure someone on here has a state tournament program handy and could give us the exact years on that trend.
The eye test alone should be an indicator. 2005-2008 was 75k in attendance, which makes absolute sense to me, because the arena was packed full. For the finals, there wasn't an empty seat in the house for the 100-200 levels. This year, you saw rows of empty seats in the finals for the 200 levels, and plenty of empty seating in the 100 level.

The OHSAA needs to do a better job of bidding/pricing jobs. They are being robbed. They could purchase the materials for that platform and have it built for much cheaper than that. Then they could store the purchased materials locally for peanuts and basically just pay labor costs to put it together every year, only having to swap out minimal materials.

Btw, with knowledge of these numbers... can you tell me what profit the OHSAA collects from the State tournament? Don't forget to include their new sponsorship deal with Rudis, and their profits from the video streams.
You want an organization responsible for 20 some sports to buy and then pay to store an accessory piece of equipment that isn't necessary for competition for an event that occurs 1 time a year? Spread this out over those 20 sports. Not very cheap anymore.

The OHSAA puts out a report on profit and expenses every year that is broken down by sport. You can look it up yourself. Wrestling makes a profit. Was much less with duals. If it wasn't for football and boys basketball, this tournament would be a shell of what it is, one of the best in the nation. Think about that the next time someone says the girls didn't earn the right to wrestle at the Schott this weekend. Financially, neither did the boys.

No, it was years before that, I don't remember the exact years. This isn't secret information, they print the total attendance in the state tournament program.
You know the cost of stage but nothing else? You want to discuss particulars? Cost don't stay the same, but OHSAA is doing fine. Are you stating the removal of the stage was a cost saving measure?

You want an organization responsible for 20 some sports to buy and then pay to store an accessory piece of equipment that isn't necessary for competition for an event that occurs 1 time a year? Spread this out over those 20 sports. Not very cheap anymore.

The OHSAA puts out a report on profit and expenses every year that is broken down by sport. You can look it up yourself. Wrestling makes a profit. Was much less with duals. If it wasn't for football and boys basketball, this tournament would be a shell of what it is, one of the best in the nation. Think about that the next time someone says the girls didn't earn the right to wrestle at the Schott this weekend. Financially, neither did the boys.
I want OHSAA to give the best to wrestlers. Put the damn stages back, Period

My eyes are burning after reading that disaster. Your first paragraph didn't make sense, so we'll discuss the second.

You said wrestling makes a profit, which also means the rest of your second paragraph doesn't make any sense.That is all we needed to know. If wrestling makes a profit, how did they not deserve to be there?

You do realize they are a 501c3 nonprofit organization, right? We will also look away and pretend not to see the ridiculously inflated salaries of several OHSAA employees. When they have the type of money to pay two "associate commissioners" and two "assistant commissioners" 6 figure incomes (along with others), I'd say the kids who are supposed to be the ones benefiting from this "Nonprofit" probably deserve what they get.

You probably think the OHSAA executive director deserves more money though. Let's see what other corners we can cut on a profitable sport and see if we can get his annual income over $200,000.

My eyes are burning after reading that disaster. Your first paragraph didn't make sense, so we'll discuss the second.

You said wrestling makes a profit, which also means the rest of your second paragraph doesn't make any sense.That is all we needed to know. If wrestling makes a profit, how did they not deserve to be there?

You do realize they are a 501c3 nonprofit organization, right? We will also look away and pretend not to see the ridiculously inflated salaries of OHSAA several members. When they have the type of money to pay two "associate commissioners" and two "assistant commissioners" 6 figure incomes (along with others), I'd say the kids who are supposed to be the ones benefiting from this "Nonprofit" probably deserve what they get.

You probably think the OHSAA executive director deserves more money though. Let's see what other corners we can cut on a profitable sport and see if we can get his annual income over $200,000.
Thanks for that, it gets exhausting.

Photographer's sit on floor. Great look and super professional. You can’t make this stuff up. How much did Rudis pay for rights to sponsor?

You do realize they are a 501c3 nonprofit organization, right? We will also look away and pretend not to see the ridiculously inflated salaries of several OHSAA employees. When they have the type of money to pay two "associate commissioners" and two "assistant commissioners" 6 figure incomes (along with others), I'd say the kids who are supposed to be the ones benefiting from this "Nonprofit" probably deserve what they get.

OHSAA's responsibility is to is to ALL sports. Every decision needs to be based in responsibility and fairness to all. Forking out expenses for something that isn't needed or required for the event can be detrimental to the others. You guys have blinders on and don't see the whole picture. You'd run the organization into the ground if you were at the top. OHSAA can't print money like the government and run off a deficit.

What do you expect these guys to make? 10k? 30k? 50k? I don't know if they deserve a raise or not, but I don't pretend to know what they do and the amount of time they put in, like many on here. I'm guessing what they are paid is in line with many other similar tasked and sized organizations. My guess is that if it wasn't a nonprofit, they'd be making more for similar roles. Football and basketball are king. If it wasn't for them, this event would be in a house barn in Marion County.

The OHSAA prints their precise profit numbers every single year, broken down by sport. You can find this information all by yourself.

OHSAA's responsibility is to is to ALL sports. Every decision needs to be based in responsibility and fairness to all. Forking out expenses for something that isn't needed or required for the event can be detrimental to the others. You guys have blinders on and don't see the whole picture. You'd run the organization into the ground if you were at the top. OHSAA can't print money like the government and run off a deficit.

What do you expect these guys to make? 10k? 30k? 50k? I don't know if they deserve a raise or not, but I don't pretend to know what they do and the amount of time they put in, like many on here. I'm guessing what they are paid is in line with many other similar tasked and sized organizations. My guess is that if it wasn't a nonprofit, they'd be making more for similar roles. Football and basketball are king. If it wasn't for them, this event would be in a house barn in Marion County.
Wrestling makes a profit.

I can't go back and forth with someone who doesn't have any common sense. Have a nice day.

You know the cost of stage but nothing else? You want to discuss particulars? Cost don't stay the same, but OHSAA is doing fine. Are you stating the removal of the stage was a cost saving measure?
Yes, the removal of the stage was both a cost and time saving measure. Was there another question asked of me? I'm happy to provide any facts that I have to improve the discourse here, where so much is based on speculation and emotional reactions.

That profit is spent on other tournaments. 10k additional for wrestling would mean 10k less for another. Common sense, dude.
A minute ago your reasoning was that wrestling didn't deserve it "financially". Now, after realizing wrestling was turning a profit (even with the stage), your reasoning is that they need it for other sports? Then you go on about football and basketball being king? Their 2021 audit is available if you'd like to read it. The other sports are doing just fine and Track & Field is also a big money maker.

Do you even have a point anymore?

Last edited:
Yes, the removal of the stage was both a cost and time saving measure. Was there another question asked of me? I'm happy to provide any facts that I have to improve the discourse here, where so much is based on speculation and emotional reactions.
Well, obviously it saves time and money. As far as time, instead of the unnecessarily long break between sessions on Saturday, they could easily run one more round of wrestling. That would free up the extra time that is needed on Sunday. Problem solved.

The question is, why would the OHSAA feel it was necessary to save even more money on a tournament that was already profitable before adding girls (more revenue), Rudis sponsorship (more revenue), the streaming options that are available in recent years (more revenue), and moving the format to end on Sunday, which also saves them money?

Why are they looking for every angle to turn as much of a mega-profit as possible? At what point does making the best experience for the kids start to factor in?

I mostly disagree, the tournament began live-streaming on Trackwrestling just last year (2022), the decline in attendance occurred about ten years prior. Sure, streaming / televising an event will always have some effect on the in-person attendance of an event, but again, comparing the attendance from 2019 against 2022 (both around 55,000 total) doesn't reflect an appreciable effect of streaming contributing to a declining attendance.
The decline occurred about the range time the ticket prices got sky jacked.

Well, obviously it saves time and money. As far as time, instead of the unnecessarily long break between sessions on Saturday, they could easily run one more round of wrestling. That would free up the extra time that is needed on Sunday. Problem solved.

The question is, why would the OHSAA feel it was necessary to save even more money on a tournament that was already profitable before adding girls (more revenue), Rudis sponsorship (more revenue), the streaming options that are available in recent years (more revenue), and moving the format to end on Sunday, which also saves them money?

Why are they looking for every angle to turn as much of a mega-profit as possible? At what point does making the best experience for the kids start to factor in?
1 - There is no longer an unnecessarily long break between session 2 and 3, there was previous to the girls joining but there isn't now.

2 - Your question / perspective on these revenue streams is too narrow. Yes, this event has new a revenue stream (Rudis partnership), but just because a single sport (wrestling) gains a new revenue stream doesn't mean that all of those funds go directly and solely into that sport, that's not how any state association (or collegiate athletic department) functions. The streaming deal is part of an organization-wide partnership with NFHS Network (although managed through Trackwrestling), that is not a revenue stream unique to wrestling.

3 - Moving to a Fri-Sun schedule does not save the OHSAA money, those are the only dates made available to them from OSU.

4 - There is no "mega-profit" being made here. If total attendance had maintained at 75,000 and if ticket prices had kept up with inflation, then yes, the event would be much more profitable, but neither of those concepts are true today.