What has happened to the State Tournament

Pros- adding the girls was awesome, they deserved it and were exciting to watch
Cons
-two years ago they did away with team scoreboards which were a source of pride for schools when their nameplate was among the top 10
- the beauty of red and green mats has been replaced with Michigan yellow
-freestyle mats being used in a folkstyle tournament
-match scoreboards difficult to see have replaced the easily visible, on the mat triangle scoreboards
-feel bad for all placers and especially winners who were deprived of being acknowledged on a podium before the crowd, wonder if they mailed them their awards
Vince Matteucci must be rolling over in his grave.

First time at the tournament. Do not think you should have to pay for parking twice in the same day. You should be given a ticket for your windshield or something.
Not letting people/wrestlers in until 9 today when the first weight class wrestles at 9:30 was ridiculous. Those wrestlers had NO warmup time.
Unimpressed with the awards portion. Very chaotic! Shouldn’t be getting started so late on a Sunday.

Another old person complaining about change thread. Neat.

All kidding aside, hasn't ohsaa been making decisions based on profit margin for decades?
Realistically, yes and no. “Decades” is barely accurate because they printed money until the early 2000s, and spent like it. they were very slow to realize that the money stream wasn’t going to keep running like it used to. But certainly since mid-late 2000s-present, profit margin has been a big factor in decisions.

Pretty consistent on here that the Awards was a cluster!! With Boys and Girls together, they need to start a day earlier? How much of the crowd is left at 9-10pm for Awards? For the record those Mats look hideous!

The triangle scoreboards had a couple significant problems. One of them being you lost parts mats visually due to the scoreboards blocking. The other is more speculative, they could get run into by athletes.

I do agree that the RUDIS mats were not great because they caused confusion with the zone circles. That being said, it was better than last year when they used whatever mats the vendor had in place to go out to schools after the tournament.

With respect to the awards, yes it was chaotic. That being said, it is a slight trade-off to disrupting the wrestling program after three weight classes to award three weight classes. It was nice to see an arena that was semi-full for the last matches of the program. The upper-weights deserve spectators to watch their matches -- in the previous structure, there was a run after the 9th weight and a mass exodus after the 12th weight (where awards breaks took place).

When it comes to the schedule, Friday-Sunday is in place for two different reasons: (1) the facility rental at the Schott costs more on Thursday than Sunday (2) Ohio State doesn't want the parking hassle on Thursday. It's going to be another year with the Friday-Sunday because the contract with the Schott runs through 2023-24.

It won’t be at the schott after next year. OSU has made it very clear they are not interested in having the state tourney in any sport there. They are pricing themselves out because they don’t want to deal with it. They don’t need the money or the exposure . Look for the state tourney to move to Cleveland to the Cavs Areana , that’s the only facility that is large enough to fit all the mats.

The triangle scoreboards had a couple significant problems. One of them being you lost parts mats visually due to the scoreboards blocking. The other is more speculative, they could get run into by athletes.

You lose parts of mats visually with the current scoreboards too. Very difficult to see much of mat 3 from where my son ad I were sitting.

The paying for parking was ridiculous all together. I asked the guy if it was going towards NIL... the part that was bad though was on Friday when you have everyone coming in, you have only 4 people taking money? Again, OSU is telling more and more of how much they don't want to host this tournament. I am not sure of another facility large enough, but it wsure would be nice to get OSU on board with what the state wants

It won’t be at the schott after next year. OSU has made it very clear they are not interested in having the state tourney in any sport there. They are pricing themselves out because they don’t want to deal with it. They don’t need the money or the exposure . Look for the state tourney to move to Cleveland to the Cavs Areana , that’s the only facility that is large enough to fit all the mats.
Hamilton has created a sports complex that still has more parts being constructed.

1. The mats are goofy.

2. Have the girls tournament another weekend and venue if necessary, it's obvious they're trying to force fan participation and draw off the boys crowd. ( Cue in the righteous few " But but but the girls blablabla" ) I have nothing against Girls wrestling Girls but don't force it on the majority of fans who really dont care.

3. Heard one ref saying " hit him again with a point deduction ! Let's hit him again!" His arrogance proving his bona fide self importance. Lot's of complaining about ref's this year...but of course we all know they can't make mistakes right? Just ask one .

4. Blaze at 120 completely outclassed the field, not sure why the St ed's kid kept sticking out his tongue and smiling until he got handled, not "Ed's like" He clearly was not the #2 kid, although the field was relatively weak this year.

5. Herman was the most impressive after 120 Blaze, and Karson at 113 navigated a reasonably tough weight class, impressive focus for a freshman.

Very disappointed in tournament. The mats are hideous and should never be used again. Bring the Tri-scoreboards back! In the finals, have D1 on mat 1, D2 on mat 2, D3 on mat 3 and girls on mat 4. While watching on TV it was a mess following along. Put the team top 10 boards back.....OHSAA wants to eliminate items while making more money.

There are several things that took away from the state tournament and that is what happens when money is the driving force on decisions. On the other hand, I would be in favor of the way it went over moving the tournament out of Columbus.

I believe that the elephant in the room is screaming right now, and some of you are still ignoring it…
THE GIRLS DON’T BELONG AND DON’T FIT AT THE SAME TOURNAMENT.
We can cut down on the time by 1/4. Simple.
Many examples to choose from, but I’ll list 2.
# 1) day 1: div III guys that lost in prelims waited 5 hrs to wrestle their consolation match; div II waited 4 1/2 hrs, div I waited 4.
# 2) awards distribution.

That’s all.

I believe that the elephant in the room is screaming right now, and some of you are still ignoring it…
THE GIRLS DON’T BELONG AND DON’T FIT AT THE SAME TOURNAMENT.
We can cut down on the time by 1/4. Simple.
Many examples to choose from, but I’ll list 2.
# 1) day 1: div III guys that lost in prelims waited 5 hrs to wrestle their consolation match; div II waited 4 1/2 hrs, div I waited 4.
# 2) awards distribution.

That’s all.
...I want to respond to this, but I'm still stuck at the awards ceremony, should only be a few more hours.

When it comes to the schedule, Friday-Sunday is in place for two different reasons: (1) the facility rental at the Schott costs more on Thursday than Sunday (2) Ohio State doesn't want the parking hassle on Thursday. It's going to be another year with the Friday-Sunday because the contract with the Schott runs through 2023-24.

If they won't be going to OSU after next year, maybe they should look into what someone else suggested (I can't remember who posted it, but if he reads this he should claim credit): find two venues in different areas of the state and have two of the boys divisions at one venue and the third boys division and the girls at the other and rotate the locations and the boys division that is paired with the girls tournament. That would open it up to more venues because you wouldn't need as many mats.
Hopefully the two venues wouldn't cost the OHSAA more than the Schott.

I have been outspoken in saying that the quality of wrestling just wasnt there for a state tournament. The amount of quick pins and lopsidedness of the matches is what I based my opinion on. Guys like Jim behrens directly called me out saying I was out of line and the quality was better and I wouldnt understand the true quality. The numbers dont lie! The girls product was better this year. I HAVE AN OPEN MIND AND AM NOT blinded by what I want to see. The product was better
The amount of pins were way down this year. To me, that indicates a better quality of the competition.
I would say that they arent far off from being ready to have their state tournament
kudos to the girls and their coaches
Here are the numbers and while they are still lopsided, they are much better in terms of matches being wrestled for 3 periods
championship round pins= 143
consolation round pins 118
first period pins 78
total matches 420
total pins 261

I must have been in an alternate universe.

A. I liked the girls being there. Yes, the wrestling is not at the level of the boys but we have to give that time. It will come. Plus, we need to acknowledge that they are growing the sport and embrace what they are doing.

B. The mats - I heard complaints, but I liked them. For me, it was easier seeing out of bounds calls with the contrasting colors.

C. Awards ceremony - I LOVED IT!!! For someone who is just there to watch the wrestling, this was a welcomed change. Ideally we wouldn't have to have the finals on a Sunday, but it is what it is...with that said, I enjoyed getting out earlier instead of being held up with delay after delay with an awards ceremony. Nothing wrong with having awards at the end of a tournament like every other tournament during the regular season. Plus as one person said, it was nice to have people still sticking around for the heavier weight classes.

My only complaints:

1. They need to have someone do some kind of crowd control for seating. I must have got up a dozen times during the sessions to let people in to seats in my aisle. I didn't mind it for the people who were actually in my aisle, but for people trying to just get a closer seat and looking for empty seats, it got old real fast. It should be like any other ticketed event. If your ticket doesn't indicate you should be in that section, then you shouldn't be in that section. I only saw one usher trying to control it.

2. Need to do something about parking...$10 per session is ridiculous. But I'm sure that is CampusParc's decision and not the event staff's decision.

Another old person complaining about change thread. Neat.

All kidding aside, hasn't ohsaa been making decisions based on profit margin for decades?
Are there organizations that don't make prudent decisions based off of financial information? I don't understand the criticism here. The OHSAA profits in some sports (very few) and takes losses in other sports, the profits help pay for losses, just like in the collegiate setting.