2023 Benedictine Football

While the athletic program has seen some challenges in recent years the fund raising side of the shop is on a nice roll:

1676045900706.png

Well it looks like Benny hockey is now the signature program at the school:

While the top 8 hockey programs in NEO no longer play in the Baron Cup to win the top tier trophy after a 52 year layoff is a nice accomplishment. Kudos to Coach Kehres and the MOB on the ice.

1676295027196.png

More proof Ryzner and his crew blew the head coach search—Coach Polo stepped down at Padua.
Nothing was blown!

Coach Grindfor9 is our guy.

Sure he wasn’t the first choice……Sure the school offered others and were forced to settle for him. But if you ignore the fact that he wasn’t the initial offer and would not have even been offered a spot on any new staff brought in, it makes it easier to accept.

Ora et labora!!!!!!

He's going to Lakewood
Could have been at Bennies. Home of Champions had to settle for sloppy thirds or fourths. Sad. Bring Sal back if you really want to f-up the school again. I wonder how many of the 55 incoming freshmen will graduate. 100th incoming class almost the same size as 1927 class.

Love the hire of Matt Wilson as head coach of the freshman football team. This is the kinda man you want your kids to play for. Watch him do his thing. Go Bengals !

The hockey team wins again and moves to the District Semis against St. Ignatius. Iggy is by far the best hockey team in the state with a solid 3+ lines and they can skate with the best teams in the country. Should be a tough match up but if the Goal Tending and the defense can holds up maybe they can make it respectable. Also of note is they will play this game at First Energy Stadium, will be a cool experience for the MOB.

1677081553682.png

The problem with Benedictine right now, is the rise of Glenville ,Cleveland hts and St Joes.
Cleveland east side is not big enough to support 4 schools which all need minority kids to be competitive at the levels we look for. Mac stevens is keeping his own kids in huge district. St joes is plucking most kids from euclid. Glenville gets kids from every district. Ed’s gets a lucky few as well.
The rise of these other 3 schools is the downfall of Benedictine football. Until the tides change. Ginn retires, or mac retires or Rotsky sails into retirement. Just a numbers game.

The problem with Benedictine right now, is the rise of Glenville ,Cleveland hts and St Joes.
Cleveland east side is not big enough to support 4 schools which all need minority kids to be competitive at the levels we look for. Mac stevens is keeping his own kids in huge district. St joes is plucking most kids from euclid. Glenville gets kids from every district. Ed’s gets a lucky few as well.
The rise of these other 3 schools is the downfall of Benedictine football. Until the tides change. Ginn retires, or mac retires or Rotsky sails into retirement. Just a numbers game.
prior to this past season,Benedictine was better than all 3 of them.As recently as 2021,Benedictine went into the playoffs as the top seed,and spent a good chunk of the season as the top ranked team in D-2. The problems happened when our just departed coach Goode,and his staff,relied on the players the previous coach had brought in,and didn't bring in any of his own.Benedictine will be down the next few years,but things can change.Just not so sure this new head coach is the guy to do it.Time will tell.

The hoops team pulled off a nice upset in the state tourney by knocking what appears to be yet another overrated Namers team 71-59:

Maybe things are turning around for the basketball program?
Was just told the Namers had to sit their best player because of the OHSAA transfer rule and should have never been seeded that high. Interesting that some coaches don't do their homework and now the early brackets get busted because guys just looks at a record and decide a team gets the top line. Nonetheless still a nice W but Glenville and Benny have to drive a hour south to play in a game when they are just miles apart from each other. Crazy.

Was just told the Namers had to sit their best player because of the OHSAA transfer rule and should have never been seeded that high. Interesting that some coaches don't do their homework and now the early brackets get busted because guys just looks at a record and decide a team gets the top line. Nonetheless still a nice W but Glenville and Benny have to drive a hour south to play in a game when they are just miles apart from each other. Crazy.
Saw the game. I don't think Holy Name had a player taller than 5''11 on the floor.Benedictine was in control the whole 2nd half.I know Holy Name came in with a 21-1 record.Not sure if they played exactly top notch competition.Still a nice upset win,and good coaching job.

prior to this past season,Benedictine was better than all 3 of them.As recently as 2021,Benedictine went into the playoffs as the top seed,and spent a good chunk of the season as the top ranked team in D-2. The problems happened when our just departed coach Goode,and his staff,relied on the players the previous coach had brought in,and didn't bring in any of his own.Benedictine will be down the next few years,but things can change.Just not so sure this new head coach is the guy to do it.Time will tell.
Yes all true, but the best kids are not choosing Benedictine over st joes, Glenville or staying put in Cleveland hts. I stand by what I said, numbers of kids participating in football are way down to begin with. Not enough talent to go around to fill 4 schools. Unfortunately I see Benedictine being the odd team out. Until one of those programs falters and Benedictine can regain the talent pool

The hockey team loses to Iggy 4-0. Nice season and I hope they continue on the upward trajectory.

Yes all true, but the best kids are not choosing Benedictine over st joes, Glenville or staying put in Cleveland hts. I stand by what I said, numbers of kids participating in football are way down to begin with. Not enough talent to go around to fill 4 schools. Unfortunately I see Benedictine being the odd team out. Until one of those programs falters and Benedictine can regain the talent pool
Any idea on incoming freshman numbers.