No Stage for state finals

2xViking

I have heard from an excellent source that there will be no stage for the state finals this year since girls have been added. OHSAA has said this is due to the cost for extending the stage as well as the time it would take to put together.

The Ohio state tournament is a very special tournament. Kids have dreams and set goals to wrestle on the stage in the finals. It separates our tournament from others. Money and time seem like an excuse. I find it hard to believe they couldn’t find plenty of donations and plenty of volunteers to speed up the process. Thoughts?

I apologize if this is already in a thread somewhere.

It is my assumption that there may not be enough space to have a fourth mat or would prob cost “too much” to reconstruct the stage to make it work. Whatever the reason is, it’s not good enough. Definitely takes away from the environment and the experience for these young men to run up on stage and across the elevated ground. #sucks

It is my assumption that there may not be enough space to have a fourth mat or would prob cost “too much” to reconstruct the stage to make it work. Whatever the reason is, it’s not good enough. Definitely takes away from the environment and the experience for these young men to run up on stage and across the elevated ground. #sucks
I don’t think it’s due to space. They fit 9 down at once. Which would be equivalent to 5 in a row. Definitely has to be “cost”. I want to know a dollar amount of how much it would cost to add on.

I have heard from an excellent source that there will be no stage for the state finals this year since girls have been added. OHSAA has said this is due to the cost for extending the stage as well as the time it would take to put together.

The Ohio state tournament is a very special tournament. Kids have dreams and set goals to wrestle on the stage in the finals. It separates our tournament from others. Money and time seem like an excuse. I find it hard to believe they couldn’t find plenty of donations and plenty of volunteers to speed up the process. Thoughts?

I apologize if this is already in a thread somewhere.
In my opinion this is absolute bull . If anyone wanted to make the stage work they could. Every coach in the state would have thrown in money or donated time to make sure the wrestlers (including girls) had this opportunity. This is a clear representation of the laziness of whoever was in charge. Bottom line.

I thought I read a comment by rudis somewhere on social that there would be a stage. Keeping my fingers crossed

All for the perception to the rest of the country that the OHSAA is politically correct and a pioneer and leader in the equality of boys and girls wrestling.
No matter the cost to boys wrestling in Ohio, the OHSAA will be perceived as a “leader in equality and fairness” for girls.
If you think this is the only thing that the boys state wrestling tournament will lose, then you are mistaken.
Be sure to let the “Association” know this weekend that girls wrestling has not “earned” the right to have what the boys have earned from decades of hard work.

All for the perception to the rest of the country that the OHSAA is politically correct and a pioneer and leader in the equality of boys and girls wrestling.
No matter the cost to boys wrestling in Ohio, the OHSAA will be perceived as a “leader in equality and fairness” for girls.
If you think this is the only thing that the boys state wrestling tournament will lose, then you are mistaken.
Be sure to let the “Association” know this weekend that girls wrestling has not “earned” the right to have what the boys have earned from decades of hard work.
Shut up

you are such a hater. Do you know how much money the girls are going to help bring in? Wrestling is dying, and this is helping to save it. you must be old and salty to be this blind. I wish you weren't here.

What have the boys done to “earn” the stage? As far as I’m concerned, everyone both competed and qualified

you are such a hater. Do you know how much money the girls are going to help bring in? Wrestling is dying, and this is helping to save it. you must be old and salty to be this blind. I wish you weren't here.

The girls are adding revenue for the OHSAA, but boys wrestling is doing just fine on its own. It’s not saving anything. The girls are lucky to have the opportunity to piggyback on the boys to wrestle at the Schott.

The girls are adding revenue for the OHSAA, but boys wrestling is doing just fine on its own. It’s not saving anything. The girls are lucky to have the opportunity to piggyback on the boys to wrestle at the Schott.
More competitors=more fans= more support

Take your feelings out of this and grow the sport

There is a time constraint and a resource cost associated with the stage.
I don't have the exact time it takes to create the stage, but I do know that it is just about being completed as I come back from my between sessions lunch break to get back in the arena. With the session ending later this year, there is question about if the stage (which has to be larger to accommodate four mats) can be constructed and ready in time.
The lack of a stage has been talked about since the girls' event was added in late spring.

More competitors=more fans= more support

Take your feelings out of this and grow the sport

I’m fine with the girls being included. I’m just saying there is nothing needing to be saved. It’s also true the girls are at the Schott because of the boys and not the other way around. The girls can help grow the sport without the notion that boy’s wrestling needs to be saved.

I’m fine with the girls being included. I’m just saying there is nothing needing to be saved. It’s also true the girls are at the Schott because of the boys and not the other way around. The girls can help grow the sport without the notion that boy’s wrestling needs to be saved.
I agree, boys wrestling doesn’t need saved. Adding the girls helps grow the sport but separating their state tournaments doesn’t make sense.

The OHSAA always seems to come up small in big moments. Covid cancelation... the year after (HS Gym State), using covid to somehow forever cancel the OHSAA State Duals, and now this. This has nothing to do with anything other than not wanting to put that little extra money into the wrestling tournament. They are getting more ticket sales by adding girls, and also sponsorship from Rudis this year. Yet, they somehow found a way to cut corners and spend even less.

Their true colors also showed through in the 2020 football season. Cut the season down to a few less games, and let every single team in the playoffs. That was their answer for covid safety. I'm sure it had nothing to do with collecting much more ticket sales from all of those extra "playoff" games.

It seems like way too much of the money they make goes into paying their own salaries, and not back into the sports for the kids, like it should.

The OHSAA always seems to come up small in big moments. Covid cancelation... the year after (HS Gym State), using covid to somehow forever cancel the OHSAA State Duals, and now this. This has nothing to do with anything other than not wanting to put that little extra money into the wrestling tournament. They are getting more ticket sales by adding girls, and also sponsorship from Rudis this year. Yet, they somehow found a way to cut corners and spend even less.

Their true colors also showed through in the 2020 football season. Cut the season down to a few less games, and let every single team in the playoffs. That was their answer for covid safety. I'm sure it had nothing to do with collecting much more ticket sales from all of those extra "playoff" games.

It seems like way too much of the money they make goes into paying their own salaries, and not back into the sports for the kids, like it should.
State duals was dead long before covid.
What % of OHSAA revenue, in your opinion, should go towards staff compensation?

State duals was dead long before covid.
What % of OHSAA revenue, in your opinion, should go towards staff compensation?
Let alone the fact they have way too many salaried positions for what that "Nonprofit" organization does. The annual salary for quite a few of them is astronomical.

Let alone the fact they have way too many salaried positions for what that "Nonprofit" organization does. The annual salary for quite a few of them is astronomical.
They have the lowest staff/member school ratio of all 51 associations (50 states + DC). So they’re actually the best in the nation in terms of number of staff.

what % of their revenue do you think should be spent on staff compensation?

Swimming and diving and track and field are done at the same time along with the boys.
Given the nature of those sports, it also makes sense to have them together. Do the girls and boys wrestling tournaments run together all season long? How many tournaments did you go to this year where they were running girls brackets along with the boys?
They have the lowest staff/member school ratio of all 51 associations (50 states + DC). So they’re actually the best in the nation in terms of number of staff.

what % of their revenue do you think should be spent on staff compensation?
Show the facts on that. Regardless, it's more a problem of the ridiculous salaries. They could pay 3 or 4 people well with some of the salaries one individual is making.

The answer to your question is, obviously less than it currently is if they can't afford to build a simple stage even with a Rudis sponsorship this year.

Given the nature of those sports, it also makes sense to have them together. Do the girls and boys wrestling tournaments run together all season long? How many tournaments did you go to this year where they were running girls brackets along with the boys?

Show the facts on that. Regardless, it's more a problem of the ridiculous salaries. They could pay 3 or 4 people well with some of the salaries one individual is making.

The answer to your question is, obviously less than it currently is if they can't afford to build a simple stage even with a Rudis sponsorship this year.
It requires some work, but the data can all be found through the NFHS website.

and fair enough on the compensation answer. I don’t disagree that the people at the top make a lot of money, and sure, they could afford a paycut to have a stage built.

but the general staff make peanuts.

I support the growth of girls wrestling. Originally I had a hard time with the thought of combining girls and boys state tournament, but realize that it does make sense for several reasons. However, I do feel that they should run their matches at a separate time (beginning or end of the session) like they are doing the first day. This is just my opinion.
I am very disappointed that the stage is not part of the show any longer for many reasons. OHSAA state tournament is one of the top in the Country. The "easy road" was taken to eliminate a small hurdle of stage setup and / or minimal cost. It is an unfortunate trend in most places to "quit" doing something instead of figuring it out. In the spirt of the sport of wrestling...we should have spent relentless time on the "How can we?" instead of taking the easy path of eliminating something of value.
I know many people that would have volunteered with time or donations for this sport...especially in this situation.

I do think actual time (the time it takes to actually tear everything down, build the stage, and get it all setup) is playing a bigger part in this than people are realizing. Not trying to say its not still possible but does need to be acknowledged.

I do think actual time (the time it takes to actually tear everything down, build the stage, and get it all setup) is playing a bigger part in this than people are realizing. Not trying to say its not still possible but does need to be acknowledged.
I understand this problem. But to say there is no solution seems silly. There are so many coaches who would volunteer every single year to help set up to shorten time. Starting placement matches early so there is more time. Move it back to Thursday Friday Saturday so they could start finals a little later if absolutely needed. Not saying any of these are perfect solutions. It all goes back to the fact that they didn’t even try. It was a very lazy decision.