SVSM/Hoban Regular Season Games Officially Over

Hoban’s response…

Dear Hoban Family—alumni, students, families, Holy Cross educators and friends:

Following this weekend’s media reports, you may be aware that St. Vincent-St. Mary High School (STVM) has publicly announced an ending to the annual rivalry football game versus Hoban. Undoubtedly, this has left many saddened, frustrated and confused.

First, despite this news, Hoban is focused on delivering the best educational, faith-forming and cocurricular experience possible for students. No challenge will distract our focus from the mission at hand—educating the hearts and minds of young people.

While we were hoping for a different outcome, STVM’s announcement was not unexpected. The vagueness of the announcement undoubtedly leads to imaginative storytelling. In an effort to dispel rumors, we are eager to be transparent about the events leading to this point.

As far back as 2019, Hoban administrators met with the previous STVM administration to address rumors that STVM desired to end the schools’ football rivalry for reasons of competitiveness. Fortunately, the meeting resulted in both schools’ assurance that the tradition would continue.

More recently, Hoban’s administration has met twice with STVM’s current administration to discuss and ultimately handle concerns. Our goal was to resolve conflict so that our students could continue to enjoy the rivalry for years to come. We listened and discussed issues related to the use of improper language during the pregame of the 2021 contest. A review with the game officials, available media footage and game film uncovered no evidence of this claim. Despite this, Hoban President Chris DiMauro, Principal T.K. Griffith and Football Head Coach Tim Tyrrell apologized for the alleged incident and acted swiftly to ensure that nothing of the sort would happen again. Eventually, STVM agreed to play Hoban during the 2022 season. This, however, did not occur until the late spring.

During this year’s regular season game, Hoban’s administrative team rode the fan bus with our students to the STVM stadium, monitored our students and enjoyed a great football game. We considered the game a success and were proud of the respectful behavior of our students and the efforts of our student-athletes. Over the course of 50 years, administrators from both schools have dealt with a number of scenarios ranging from vandalism of school property to student behavior at games to inappropriate messages. In each of these scenarios, school leadership has always been able to use these as teachable moments and placed the tradition above any individual grievance.

We could go on and on about the back-and-forth narratives that occur before and during rivalries. It’s safe to say that there is always a need for ownership and accountability on both sides. Our communities pour their hearts into cheering and emotions run high—from football games to mock trial competitions. But, when the contest is over, Hoban and STVM move forward with class, form lifelong friendships and demonstrate mutual respect for each other. Together, Hoban and STVM alumni represent some of the best in the greater Akron area.

As Catholic, Holy Cross educators, we do our absolute best to personally uphold and model our Holy Cross core values. We teach and ask every Hoban student to practice these core values, including integrity, excellence and discipline. The Brothers of Holy Cross set a very high bar for us all and we do all we can to maintain those standards.

Our current administrative team has over 100 years of Hoban legacy in our blood and understands the sacred nature of tradition. We know this decision impacts our current and future students and for that, we are saddened. We pray for and continue to work towards a better solution that allows students to compete and enjoy this timeless tradition. We appreciate your continued support of our Hoban community.

True to You,

President Chris DiMauro ’99

Principal T.K. Griffith ’89
OK - that was something, and a bit of a tit for tat to Hyland’s letter. Here is the real issue, though, that most people don’t want to address: Hoban’s strength coach has demonstrated behavior that is unbecoming of HS sports on NUMEROUS occasions. While TK and Chris signed their names to something that says, “We reviewed it, we asked officials, and we found nothing” his antics are caught on video when Hoban was playing Avon. This is not something that happens against STVM, it happens week in and week out, year after year.

I know that this is a trend that has been occurring in the NCAA DI ranks for some time, but this is HS sports, which are supposed to be an extension of the classroom. I know things have changed in HS sports over the last 10 years, but come on.

Finally, I find it odd that STVM’s new admins are acting like they are without fault, as I recall their players engaging in multiple on field fights in the last two years before Cistone took over.

apologized for the alleged incident and acted swiftly to ensure that nothing of the sort would happen again. Eventually, STVM agreed to play Hoban during the 2022 season. This, however, did not occur until the late spring.
But I was told st v had to play hoban in 2022 cause there was a contract. Why would st v delay the scheduling of a game under contract?

OK - that was something, and a bit of a tit for tat to Hyland’s letter. Here is the real issue, though, that most people don’t want to address: Hoban’s strength coach has demonstrated behavior that is unbecoming of HS sports on NUMEROUS occasions. While TK and Chris signed their names to something that says, “We reviewed it, we asked officials, and we found nothing” his antics are caught on video when Hoban was playing Avon. This is not something that happens against STVM, it happens week in and week out, year after year.

i'm honestly confused. we now have from multiple sources that it SPECIFICALLY had to do with the 2021 pre-game, which was at Hoban (right?). So bringing past behavior of strength coach into this does not appear relevant. only thing that matters is who was involved with pre-game 2021, which could have been him but its not clear...

But if hoban is being honest with st v's desire to de-schedule hoban in 2019, then maybe the 2021 incident isn't the real reason.

I can tell you what happened, again it’s from a source but the source heard it from a St. V administrator who was in the room. In 2021 Hoban football players not coaches used an obscenity when breaking it down in pregame before they went back in the locker room. Hoban administrators were made aware of this 2 months afterwards during a meeting they had at St. V in December 2021. According to St. V administrator in the room Coach Tyrrell apologized to the President, Principal and the former Athletic department members numerous times. They decided to play in 2022 and nothing bad happened both in Basketball and Football. It is now that St. V president is demanding a written apology from Tyrrell from 2021 game. My guess is Tyrrell said he’ll no and St. V made their decision.
Sounds like no matter what St. V was ending this game!
Just twisting and turning themselves into a pretzel to find a way out of the game. Absolutely embarrassing

All that matters is that this ”rivalry” is important to the kids and the community. Who cares if there was some issue that the administration has with one another. This just goes back to adults having problems with adults; admins having problems with admins and the ones that suffer are the kids that are missing out on playing this game. This game means a lot to anyone that plays in it. Win or lose, people remember playing in this game for years. I know numerous people who went STVM and Hoban during the original break. They always speak about wishing they had the opportunity to play against one another.

This whole thing about STVM taking the high road because of some “conduct” from Hoban is total garbage. STVM cant beat them and therefore, they want out. It is this cowardice attitude, accepting a losing culture and a quitter’s mindset. STVM did the same thing with the Massillon game. Stopped beating Massillon, so cancel that game. All I know, this is the not the school that I used to know. The school that I used know wanted to play the best teams in order to become the best. It is embarrassing to see how downward the school has spiraled in the past few years. I will tell you right now, if I was about to start high school, STVM would not even be on the radar.

Now at least we have some solid background to the story.
Anyone that is familiar with this game knows exactly which member of the Hoban staff the Irish are talking about. Just watch pre-game and everyone in the stadium knows.

News flash STVM, the guy has been doing this for years now - Not just against the Irish, BUT AT EVERY GAME - but now is the perfect time to cancel the rivalry? Hoban should cancel basketball at least; give them a taste of their own medicine. Using the same logic of we can’t beat them so stop the game.

Well, all i can say right now is thus; my father and my sister graduated from SVSM. I went to Coventry obviously. As far as SVSM vs Hoban rivalry goes, I am 100% neutral at this stage.

Prior to the pandemic I was generally much more pro public schools. However recent developments, especially politically, in this country, have forced me to appreciate why parents might choose to send their kids to catholic schools. That being said, I do not presently consider 10000 a year to be an acceptable price, and am generally one to prefer to send my own kids to public school. With that being said, if wokeness really does get a lot more prevelant around here, I may have no choice. I think today, influenced some by this, I rate Hoban over SVSM and Walsh Jesuit. Im not impressed with SVSM's administration.

Private school parents, who are posting here, I do apologize for any of my past rhetoric, against you, your schools, and your fanbases. While I will not say your schools of choice/fanbases are perfect, then again, no school here in this country is, public or private. Regardless, I do have an appreciation for why you might choose private schools. I respect the fact that you want your kids to grow up to love this country, and what makes it great, I respect the fact that you want your kids to grow up confident in who they are, and what they are, and not confused and lost. I respect why you would feel that will happen better at a private school, then your local public school.

I understand that parents may want to send their kid to private schools. I understand the politics. The problem is the willingness of the private school to help the good athletes only. The proportion of good athletes at these schools vs other students is way out of kilter. And they do this with religion as a front. It’s hypocritical and not right. That’s why I will only support public schools.

I understand that parents may want to send their kid to private schools. I understand the politics. The problem is the willingness of the private school to help the good athletes only. The proportion of good athletes at these schools vs other students is way out of kilter. And they do this with religion as a front. It’s hypocritical and not right. That’s why I will only support public schools.
Okay I’ll bite. This is not 100% true. Yes there are probably some athletes walking the halls of public schools who are getting help. With that being said, there are A LOT more students walking the halls with ACADEMIC scholarships than “athletic.” So believe what you want but it’s not with religion as a front.

While I would not be surprised if that was happening to a small degree, I doubt it is happening in any statistically meaningful quantity. Private schools rely on their own tuition payers fundamentally. Most of their scholarship programs are conducted by private people/groups not necessarily connected with the school. Then theres the ed choice dollars, which is determined by the government. If they are ignoring their tuition paying students at the expense of scholarship students whom THEY THEMSELVES are giving that discount to, a, its not sustainable, and b, tuition paying parents would probably leave. It would be a crappy business model. Like what happened to Saint Paul School, in Firestone Park. A lot of tuition paying parents left there when ed choice students begun arriving for free. Once Coventry Local Schools opened the flood gates of open enrollment, Saint Pauls lost a lot of parishioner students. Now their school doesnt exist.

With all due respect, but football/athletic success is not king. At least not in 2023. They may prioritize it heavily, sure. But the same can be said for some publics. Of course, to be fair, athletic success can lead to increased enrollment, sure. More tuition. But increased enrollment means needing to hire more teachers, or higher teacher to student ratios, so theres that. Prioritizing athletic success above everything else is I believe a failing business model. If Hoban or SVSM are competently run, they are not doing that. Most schools lose money on their athletic programs, once the football dollars pay for all the other sports. The economics doesn't add up to me.

Either way, if that is happening, you will have to take it on a case by case basis. School by school basis, not apply it as a blanket statement to all parochial schools.

Anyone that is familiar with this game knows exactly which member of the Hoban staff the Irish are talking about. Just watch pre-game and everyone in the stadium knows.

News flash STVM, the guy has been doing this for years now - Not just against the Irish, BUT AT EVERY GAME - but now is the perfect time to cancel the rivalry? Hoban should cancel basketball at least; give them a taste of their own medicine. Using the same logic of we can’t beat them so stop the game.
Hoban did when they couldn't beat the LBJ teams and TK was the coach.

It’s already been established that Hoban has already done this in basketball and these two schools didn’t play each other for about 20 years when Hoban ended the rivalry in the late 70s.

Maybe, just maybe, we won’t know the real reason this rivalry has been put on hold. We know that with institutions like St. V and Hoban there are decision makers beyond either school’s president or principal, let alone football coach. I would guess that what has been shared is simply the surface level. It takes egos being bruised and feelings being hurt of the decision makers in order for these decisions to be made.

As someone who regularly moderates the Ohio Academic Competition state tournament, and its regular season events in northeast Ohio, I’ve had Hoban in my room multiple times in Columbus as well as the Knights, SVSM, and Walsh Jesuit when I’m at Copley or Solon. The only Summit County publics I’ve had were the aforementioned Indians (duh), Revere and the one-off year Green won the state competition (their only year of qualifying in.)

As it relates to contiguous counties: Beachwood, Lakewood, Shaker, Solon and St. Ignatius for Cuyahoga; Brunswick and Cloverleaf for Medina; only Aurora for Portage and only Hoover for Stark. And this for all the competitions I’ve done for a decade-plus.

If anything is off-kilter, it’s the comparative lack of publics in the 330 that will spare $70 and find four brainiac students something to do on a Saturday.

Last edited:
Coventry, while I was there possessed an Academic Challenge team, although I might not have minded joining, I was busy on Saturdays with Cross Country and Track.

They might not have it now. The pandemic years have not been kind for us as far as participation in sports and extracurriculars.

It is true however, that Private Schools are offering their students opportunities that are not present in a lot of publics.

With that being said, Private Schools do need to start paying their teachers a little better. I am currently studying at the University of Akron, in their Education program. AYA Social Studies. My goal is to be a high school teacher, so that side of things is something I do pay much more attention to. I get it, it is probably easier to teach at a private school, but I dont feel like it justifies the pay gap. If they paid more competitive wages, I bet they would have a much easier time finding good quality teachers, who would be willing to stick around.

It’s already been established that Hoban has already done this in basketball and these two schools didn’t play each other for about 20 years when Hoban ended the rivalry in the late 70s.
I am not saying that they didn't do it. Just read the thread, it has been mentioned about 3 times. Im just saying that if I was the Hoban AD I would do it again since STVM thinks its appropriate to do it for football.

I am not saying that they didn't do it. Just read the thread, it has been mentioned about 3 times. Im just saying that if I was the Hoban AD I would do it again since STVM thinks its appropriate to do it for football.
For real. I don’t know where STVM pretends like they have the “privilege” to pick and choose what sports THEY continue the rivalry in. This is not a good start for the new regime on Maple Street.

Maybe, just maybe, we won’t know the real reason this rivalry has been put on hold. We know that with institutions like St. V and Hoban there are decision makers beyond either school’s president or principal, let alone football coach. I would guess that what has been shared is simply the surface level. It takes egos being bruised and feelings being hurt of the decision makers in order for these decisions to be made.

The real reason is the st v coach thinks hoban football does things the wrong way. All the rest is cover so he doesn't have to admit that publically. The administration is falling in line and desperately trying to come up with a reason to justify it all. Their contention that a coach used bad language on a football field is so weak as to not be believeable. i would imagine the st v coaches have been known to utter a bad word here or there.

The real reason is the st v coach thinks hoban football does things the wrong way. All the rest is cover so he doesn't have to admit that publically. The administration is falling in line and desperately trying to come up with a reason to justify it all. Their contention that a coach used bad language on a football field is so weak as to not be believeable. i would imagine the st v coaches have been known to utter a bad word here or there.
a little of your first reason, and a lot more that is something bigger than language. Stvm and Hoban know what that is.

I've said this on here before but I think it bears repeating when this stuff comes up. Not all that long ago when SVSM was flourishing in part with what were non-traditional non-CYO players there were Hoban folk who professed that they could be proud of Hoban because "they didn't do it like SVSM". Hoban brought in Tyrrell and they then cracked the code to do it even better that SVSM. They have "out St. V'd" St. V. It's all quite amusing how the attitudes have flipped.

I like and respect St. V, but this decision is not good. If you want to be the best, you have to beat the best

I think many have lost sight of one central point.

ADs the right, at any time, to schedule whoever they want to meet what they feel is in the best interest of their programs. They don't do it because of a fan's personal agenda.

No one ever said this series is permanently dead. But a cooling off period surely looks to be in order for the immediate future.

After they called the Beacon Journal and in the letter from the Hoban administration, they expressed they’d already apologized for an incident from several years ago. I wonder if they were referring to the apology they gave for the video that some of the Hoban students made that portrayed the STVM football team as Nazis. It was made in the halls of the school. The one that the Hoban AD at the time Michael DelMedico also participated in. Nice folks over there.

Last edited:

I know that this is a trend that has been occurring in the NCAA DI ranks for some time, but this is HS sports, which are supposed to be an extension of the classroom. I know things have changed in HS sports over the last 10 years, but come on.

Finally, I find it odd that STVM’s new admins are acting like they are without fault, as I recall their players engaging in multiple on field fights in the last two years before Cistone took over.
Have been to 4 Hoban games in the past 3 years and this is 100% what I thought. Strength coach is out of control pregame. Frankly it's weird. I get it he's a hype guy but damn. Everytime I asked how the guy was okay to behave that way and the Hoban fan exuse was to laugh and tell us he wasn't really a coach...

Have been to 4 Hoban games in the past 3 years and this is 100% what I thought. Strength coach is out of control pregame. Frankly it's weird. I get it he's a hype guy but damn. Everytime I asked how the guy was okay to behave that way and the Hoban fan exuse was to laugh and tell us he wasn't really a coach...
We've heard of the guy's qualifications, but I can't understand why Hoban tolerates behavior that casts such a bad light.