Recreational Golf - 2023

soccerdad72

Was going to revive the 2022 thread, but I suppose it makes sense to just start a new one.

Actually got out and played twice already this month (9 holes each time). And decided to join the little "country club" down the street from my house. Nothing fancy, the course is only par 68, but it's easily walkable and no tee times are needed (even in the summer). Just show up and play. And unlimited golf for $1,000 for the season. (y) Planning on playing a whole lot more this season. :)

A new Big Shots Golf opened recently in Akron. It is similar to TopGolf but it is Trackman driven. While TopGolf seems more like an arcade game, Big Shots is more similar to actual golf. You can play arcade type games or you can play courses or practice, and save the results to your phone. During the day on weekdays, it is $9 an hour for one person.

A new Big Shots Golf opened recently in Akron. It is similar to TopGolf but it is Trackman driven. While TopGolf seems more like an arcade game, Big Shots is more similar to actual golf. You can play arcade type games or you can play courses or practice, and save the results to your phone. During the day on weekdays, it is $9 an hour for one person.
does that $9 include the use of a cart? :)

Was going to revive the 2022 thread, but I suppose it makes sense to just start a new one.

Actually got out and played twice already this month (9 holes each time). And decided to join the little "country club" down the street from my house. Nothing fancy, the course is only par 68, but it's easily walkable and no tee times are needed (even in the summer). Just show up and play. And unlimited golf for $1,000 for the season. (y) Planning on playing a whole lot more this season. :)
What is the name of the "country club?"

First, I got in 120 rounds last year, including three in Florida, and yes, I am in my second year of being a retiree.

I've joined Sleepy Hollow in Alliance, again. My cousin has taken advantage of the two year deal at Windmill Lakes and I am waiting for the right time to broach the subject with Mrs. Ones. We are only using the weekday plan. Trying to get on during the weekend is a waste. Teeing off after 11:00 and five hour rounds are not something I'm interested in, either.

Love Windmill as a track but it is brutal in the spring and early summer as it drains very poorly and the place is a swamp. One hole, I think 11, was basically a short 250 yard par 4 because the tees were under water and you had to tee up in the fairway. Still the best place to buy gear.

Getting worried that my golfers elbow is starting to get unbearable halfway through the season. Not sure what I can do other than to take a daily dose of Celebrex and hope that keeps it in check. Ugh...

Love Windmill as a track but it is brutal in the spring and early summer as it drains very poorly and the place is a swamp. One hole, I think 11, was basically a short 250 yard par 4 because the tees were under water and you had to tee up in the fairway. Still the best place to buy gear.

Getting worried that my golfers elbow is starting to get unbearable halfway through the season. Not sure what I can do other than to take a daily dose of Celebrex and hope that keeps it in check. Ugh...
I used to enjoy playing a quick nine late on a Sunday at Windmill. You could jump on their site or GolfNow and get 9 holes for $15. That all dried up with their new membership plan.

As I sit here in my recliner, looking out the back window, I think that for the next couple of weeks, golf will be out of the question.

I used to enjoy playing a quick nine late on a Sunday at Windmill. You could jump on their site or GolfNow and get 9 holes for $15. That all dried up with their new membership plan.
You know what gets me, guys playing from the tips that shouldn't be playing from the tips. Swallow that ego and move up.

As I sit here in my recliner, looking out the back window, I think that for the next couple of weeks, golf will be out of the question.
Played 9 on Wednesday, but yeah, around here, the forecast doesn't look good for the next week or two.

Hopefully by the last week or two of March. I need some dry weather. Cart path only doesn't work for me.

I don't mind carrying. My problem is that no one else I play with carries so I feel like I am holding everyone else up if I walk.

What did you get for a driver?
I bought a Cobra F-Max Airspeed. I bought a set of clubs in 1995 and played with them for 15 years or so, and then gave up the game. My oldest son decided to take up the sport last year so I had to go out and buy clubs. I bought a set of Cobra F-Max Superlite irons, basically made for "older guys who don't have a high swing speed". I didn't want to pony up for woods because I honestly didn't know if I'd stick with it or not. Well, we ended up playing alot and I used my old 3 wood off the tees, as my old driver was in bad shape. So I decided this offseason to invest in a driver and 5 wood.

I bought a Cobra F-Max Airspeed. I bought a set of clubs in 1995 and played with them for 15 years or so, and then gave up the game. My oldest son decided to take up the sport last year so I had to go out and buy clubs. I bought a set of Cobra F-Max Superlite irons, basically made for "older guys who don't have a high swing speed". I didn't want to pony up for woods because I honestly didn't know if I'd stick with it or not. Well, we ended up playing alot and I used my old 3 wood off the tees, as my old driver was in bad shape. So I decided this offseason to invest in a driver and 5 wood.
Well done. I've heard good things adout the F-max for slower swing speed players.

I really liked the F-Max irons and would recommend them to the guys with slower swings or to those who don't want to spend a ton on solid clubs. But I had to find a driver as it seems every course we play has "that hole" where you need to hit driver to clear the water or pull out your 7-iron and lay up. My pride is tired of laying up while the boy hits driver over the water. Fingers crossed that I can hit this driver!