Weekly newspapers closing in 6 communities

Yappi

Go Buckeyes
Six weekly newspapers in Cuyahoga Falls, Stow, Tallmadge, Twinsburg, Nordonia Hills and Aurora will cease print publication in late March.

The free distribution weeklies, published by Akron Beacon Journal owner Gannett Co., have faced significant business challenges in recent years due to a decline in print advertising and readers adopting digital news sources.

After seeing the shrinking paper and the dwindling stories, there was no way for them to survive. It's really a shame because, in their heyday, they covered the local sports teams weekly. Now it was almost no coverage and very little reason to even open the paper.
Growing up, I used to enjoy my weekly local community paper—in print.

I’m not sure my kids have even seen a physical newspaper of any kind.

They closed the Columbus and Cincinnati weeklys as well. Rural communities with daily papers owned by Gannett will probably be next.

Todays kids have no idea the value of physical newspaper. Hey, on the positive side I was able to find out the results of Ssturday's district wrestling tournment this morning (Monday) when our coach tweeted.

Fortunately my city streams the meetings and they are archived on line for playback. However, the vast majority of people won't take time to watch their government.

I fear for pet owners. Bird cages need lined, and dogs need to be housebroken.

Seriously, I hate seeing this. I delivered for a free weekly paper while in JH and HS. It went under a few months after I graduated HS and gave up my 2 routes in order to get a full-time summer job. In addition to being 1 less means through which information is distributed and reposited, loss of a local paper is a huge blow to a community's identity, IMHO.

Hopefully, the Post Newspapers, based in Medina and serving several communities, will also shut down. Once was a nice free weekly print newspaper delivered to your house. The content was very tame and ficused on local events, news, and sports. Several years ago, the Post went to daily online only editions, with the focus primarily being on divisive politics. It is now all about clicks, not about good reporting of local events.

Fortunately my city streams the meetings and they are archived on line for playback. However, the vast majority of people won't take time to watch their government.
The streaming of the meetings is good, but they used to have this thing called “dropping a dime”…

Hopefully, the Post Newspapers, based in Medina and serving several communities, will also shut down. Once was a nice free weekly print newspaper delivered to your house. The content was very tame and ficused on local events, news, and sports. Several years ago, the Post went to daily online only editions, with the focus primarily being on divisive politics. It is now all about clicks, not about good reporting of local events.
My memory of The Post editor's opinion pieces when I was a kid are about what you'd expect from Happy on the DB

Growing up, I used to enjoy my weekly local community paper—in print.

I’m not sure my kids have even seen a physical newspaper of any kind.
Your kids may have seen one. Have they visited any museums that may have included them?

Also check under your sock drawer, often drawers lined with newspaper back when such things existed are still doing their job 20 -30 years later.

Isn't this site and ones similar designed to immediately update information partly responsible for the collapse of print?

Always looked forward to the weekly paper, even as a kid.

It was fun seeing the Little League game recaps, seeing you or your friend's names in it.

People getting engaged or married, just lots of stuff to see each week.

Always looked forward to the weekly paper, even as a kid.

It was fun seeing the Little League game recaps, seeing you or your friend's names in it.

People getting engaged or married, just lots of stuff to see each week.
Who in the neighborhood got arrested,who sold their house and to whom. Scores of Games of All Level of Sports that we’re Final by print time. When I go on vacation to places that still have “Newspaper Stand” I always buy 1 or 2 while I’m there.

I think it's imperative that the schools take over the local reporting of their events. One because it's very easy to have either a school class or group be the website administrator and social media content people, and two it's the best communication tool you have at school now. At best, your school district may have 25% of the community that even sees a daily newspaper. So the message does not get out in newspapers.
And some schools do a fantastic job and have taken the ball and run with it, some others do a horrible job promoting their academics and extracurriculer events.

I think it's imperative that the schools take over the local reporting of their events. One because it's very easy to have either a school class or group be the website administrator and social media content people, and two it's the best communication tool you have at school now. At best, your school district may have 25% of the community that even sees a daily newspaper. So the message does not get out in newspapers.
And some schools do a fantastic job and have taken the ball and run with it, some others do a horrible job promoting their academics and extracurriculer events.
I've been saying this for years. With newspapers disappearing and cutbacks at other media outlets, it's incumbent upon schools to communicate their news and self-promote to the wider community.

I've been saying this for years. With newspapers disappearing and cutbacks at other media outlets, it's incumbent upon schools to communicate their news and self-promote to the wider community.
I'm amazed just scrolling through Facebook, Twitter and Instagram, some schools are great at it, some do next to nothing. Parents/ schools talk all the time about recognizing the students, what easier way?? You control 100% of the content, with many papers it was only if they had room and some of the content was chopped off. To me it would be worth a staff positions just from the PR standpoint to have somone in charge of making posts on school activities. Sports, band, academic awards, recognition of teachers and staff. Without a doubt school delays and closings.

I look at school's athletic sections on their websites, most have no scores or reporting on games.

You'd think this would be good experience for students interested in journalism to write a sports column, report
on last night's game, etc.

Check out Newspapers.com. It has archives of past events. I decided I wanted to do a little research about my local high school football program. I was amazed that I was able to read about them in the 40's when they were only playing 6 man. There were team pictures for every year. Fascinating stuff if you like to read newspaper articles.

Why?

I look at school's athletic sections on their websites, most have no scores or reporting on games.

You'd think this would be good experience for students interested in journalism to write a sports column, report
on last night's game, etc.
In a thread about the decline of journalism.

Because the history of what happens at the high school level is disappearing before our eyes. There was a time when ALL high school area games were covered with at least a small article and box score. Now it's hit and miss. Some schools do a much better job than others, but the ones that don't, there are gaps of coverage for their sports for years and years.

The truth dies on the internet, when the activist pukes pull the strings.

Soros is buying conservative radio stations, too. Your side seems to have something planned out...
Far more alt-right websites which you cite on here regularly not to mention all of the misinformation that gets passed around social media.

How long before the library is closed, I can not remember the last time, I have been to the library,

Delivering the free press, news paper, was my first gig,
Back then, I would know, where every dogs was,

How long before the library is closed, I can not remember the last time, I have been to the library,

Delivering the free press, news paper, was my first gig,
Back then, I would know, where every dogs was,
As long as the levies keep passing, libraries will remain open. When we are finally taxed too far, the levies for libraries will fail, as the left will further consume itself.

I miss the card catalog, where no one tracked me or logged me in.

As long as the levies keep passing, libraries will remain open. When we are finally taxed too far, the levies for libraries will fail, as the left will further consume itself.

I miss the card catalog, where no one tracked me or logged me in.
They provide so much more than books, in our community. I hope we never feel the need to no longer support them. They seem to be one of the levy funded functions staying within themselves, regardless they are popular and could enrich. Metroparks? Eh, playing way above their heads here I think, TRYING to grow while people blindly vote without seeing what they're doing.

They provide so much more than books, in our community. I hope we never feel the need to no longer support them. They seem to be one of the levy funded functions staying within themselves, regardless they are popular and could enrich. Metroparks? Eh, playing way above their heads here I think, TRYING to grow while people blindly vote without seeing what they're doing.
Cleveland and Akron Metros are thriving. Perhaps Toledo's should begin exploring state park partnerships, so that they do not degrade and become under-patrolled danger zones ? The feral humans will fill any vacuum, and destroy what they touch.

Librarians are stupid enough in some zip codes to play the drag show game, definitely NOT "staying within themselves". HUGE mistake from within their echochambers, imho.

Last edited:
Cleveland and Akron Metros are thriving. Perhaps Toledo's should begin exploring state park partnerships, so that they do not degrade and become under-patrolled danger zones ? The feral humans will fill any vacuum, and destroy what they touch.

Librarians are stupid enough in some zip codes to play the drag show game, definitely NOT "staying within themselves". HUGE mistake from within their echochambers, imho.
They ARE supposed to echo what the community wants. I'm not sure I take your meaning.