Super Bowl Predictions and Discussion

Please name me a game where the calls are "consistent" I mean what he heck. We know human beings officiate sporting events.
Here's what they are up against:
  • first of all they are love the sport they are officiating - that's why they do it.
  • the athletes at the highest levels are the best, the games are FAST and you have split seconds to make calls
  • the leagues - and networks regularly meet with the officiating staffs - and like it or not since the networks pay millions for the TV rights, they have a seat at the table on how games are being called. You have a game that stopped ever other play with a holding call, it's unattractive to the viewer. It's like the NBA with traveling, unless it specifically affects the game, they'll let things go.
  • So on the play in question - and it's important to note that you have to separate each play - you can't constantly go back to see how the game was called earlier - so on that play, the official determinted there was a hold - and it affected the recievers ability to make a play on the ball. Mahomes was throwing it to where he thought the player would be in an uncontested route. Some have said he was throwing it away and that's just false. We see these guys make tremendous catches week after week.
  • I've used this analogy, if you get a speeding ticket for going 80 in a 65, and you were going 80, you're guilty. It does not matter if you're "keeping" up with traffic and everyone else is driving 80. Once there was a hold, the official determined that it was bad enough to call it.
Finally, it seems like in our efforts to "get the call right", we've become incredibly sensitive to officials calls? I mean look at the games in the 70's and 80's. No replay, less officials on the field. As sports fans at ANY level, we have to "accept" the calls at some point.
Games are 4 quarters, 9 innings, 3 periods because you don't want one play to determine the outcome.
I didn't care who won Sunday and I thought it was a great game. It wasn't "ruined" by that call. It was a legit call. Tough cookies for the Eagles. But that's sports.
My biggest fear now with all the legalized betting going on and these sports stations - radio and TV, that are basically infomercials for sports betting...it just brings an element of unfairness that could potentially ruin sports.
Gotta say I (gulp) agree with 14Red. The DB says that he held the WR. Why is everyone losing their minds over this?

Sure, the refs are inconsistent and miss several calls a game. But refs in all sports are supposed to be oblivious to the time and score. If you see the blatant foul, call it. The DB briefly had a handful of jersey and it was visibly stretched away from the WR. Textbook holding. Doesn't matter how late in the game it is.

The NHL is the worst at this. In a 1-goal game the refs almost never blow their whistle, even for obvious penalties. Their refs definitely let time and score impact their calls. Bad.
The call in the SB essentially was like a basketball game not calling hand-checks all game long, then in a tie game with seconds left they decide that's a foul and give the other team two FTs.

This wasn't the Saints-Rams play where a guy was tackled while the ball was in the air. Just left a whole lot to be desired for the ending of what was a really great game. People felt cheated out of watching the Eagles potential rebuttal. That's why a lot of people were/are up in arms about it.

The call in the SB essentially was like a basketball game not calling hand-checks all game long, then in a tie game with seconds left they decide that's a foul and give the other team two FTs.

This wasn't the Saints-Rams play where a guy was tackled while the ball was in the air. Just left a whole lot to be desired for the ending of what was a really great game. People felt cheated out of watching the Eagles potential rebuttal. That's why a lot of people were/are up in arms about it.
Your beef should be with the non-call(s) earlier in the game. I only recall one other similar play, and again it was Juju who was held and it was not called.

Would I have liked to see the Eagles get another chance? Absolutely. It was a great game and I had no dog in the fight. But we do not want referees thinking "Hey we missed a call in the 2nd quarter, and maybe I should do a make-up call here." Bad for the game.

really thought this discussion would've ended when the DB said, "yes, i held him, it was a foul, i was hoping the ref wouldn't throw the flag."

jtk
()

really thought this discussion would've ended when the DB said, "yes, i held him, it was a foul, i was hoping the ref wouldn't throw the flag."

jtk
()
Without a doubt. But we have dweebs (Jesse Watters) on TV saying the DB had to say that or get fined 6 figures by the NFL. Maybe it was tongue in cheek but some fools believe it’s true.
Bengal fans on FB still complaining about a game 2+ weeks ago.

Your beef should be with the non-call(s) earlier in the game. I only recall one other similar play, and again it was Juju who was held and it was not called.

Would I have liked to see the Eagles get another chance? Absolutely. It was a great game and I had no dog in the fight. But we do not want referees thinking "Hey we missed a call in the 2nd quarter, and maybe I should do a make-up call here." Bad for the game.
Fair.

Agree, it was the only defensive holding penalty called the entire game. Watching on tv we only see what the camera shows us, I am sure there was more holding penalties than the one they called. On that same play they could have called holding on the LG for KC but let it go.

Last edited:
Agree, it was the only defensive holding penalty called the entire game. Watching on tv we only see what the camera shows us, I am sure there was more holding penalties than the one they called. On that same play they could have called holding on the LG for KC but let it go.
Honestly you could probably call holding on almost every offense play, especially passing downs.

You simply don’t call a penalty on a play in the last couple minutes of a game unless it’s a takedown. Two Super Bowls in a row. This is ruining the game and the refs need to get a clue, it’s a terrible look for the nfl
We're talking about the Refs instead of the game, fail!

KC-Philly, I had no horse in the race but I thought it was a entertaining game. Sure, one doesn’t like to see a call late in the game have such a impact but the Eagles put themselves in that spot. The fumble/td return and the long punt return was the two plays that did the Eagles in.

Great tv ratings in the US & Canada for the game. With betting taking off, the leagues stars (Mahomes, Burrow, Allen) being young & likeable - the popularity & success of the NFL is in great shape moving forward.

* 113 mil in US watched (population of 330 mil) = 34.24% of population watched the game
* 8.6 mil in Canada watched (population of 37.1 mil) = 23.81% of population watched the game

2024 NFL PLAYOFFS

NFC Wildcard Round
#1 SEED- Eagles (bye)
#2 49ers vs #7 Rams
#3 Saints vs #6 Vikings
#4 Lions vs #5 Cowboys

NFC Divisional Round
#1 Eagles vs #7 Rams
#3 Saints vs #5 Cowboys

NFC Championship Round
#1 Eagles vs #5 Cowboys

NFC Representative- #1 Eagles

AFC Wildcard Round
#1 SEED- Bengals (bye)
#2 Chiefs vs # 7 Steelers
#3 Bills vs #6 Patriots
#4 Titans vs # 5 Chargers

AFC Divisional Round
#1 Bengals vs #5 Chargers
#2 Chiefs vs # 3 Bills

AFC Championship Round
#1 Bengals vs #3 Bills

AFC Representative- Bills

Super Bowl LVIII
Bills 34 Eagles 21

Super Bowl Champions- Buffalo Bills

2024 NFL PLAYOFFS

NFC Wildcard Round
#1 SEED- Eagles (bye)
#2 49ers vs #7 Rams
#3 Saints vs #6 Vikings
#4 Lions vs #5 Cowboys

NFC Divisional Round
#1 Eagles vs #7 Rams
#3 Saints vs #5 Cowboys

NFC Championship Round
#1 Eagles vs #5 Cowboys

AFC Wildcard Round
#1 SEED- Bengals (bye)
#2 Chiefs vs # 7 Steelers
#3 Bills vs #6 Patriots
#4 Titans vs # 5 Chargers

AFC Divisional Round
#1 Bengals vs #5 Chargers
#2 Chiefs vs # 3 Bills

AFC Championship Round
#1 Bengals vs #3 Bills

AFC Representative- Bills

Super Bowl LVIII
Bills 34 Eagles 21

Super Bowl Champions- Buffalo Bills
99% of that seems plausible, my only disagreement is I believe the titans are on the downswing and the Jags are here to stay with Trevor

2024 NFL PLAYOFFS

NFC Wildcard Round
#1 SEED- Eagles (bye)
#2 49ers vs #7 Rams
#3 Saints vs #6 Vikings
#4 Lions vs #5 Cowboys

NFC Divisional Round
#1 Eagles vs #7 Rams
#3 Saints vs #5 Cowboys

NFC Championship Round
#1 Eagles vs #5 Cowboys