Super Bowl Predictions and Discussion

That could go either way … have seen it called and have seen it not called … I am in the camp that wouldn’t have called it in that situation because I don’t believe it made a difference in the play … but by the letter of the rules … not a wrong call.

Let's go down the conspiracy hole farther. A slippery field benefits the Chiefs. Look a the Buffalo vrs Cincinnati game. Cincinnati offensive line looked remarkable. Bill defensive line couldn't get off. Eagles come into this game with a beast of a Defensive line. Not today Why?

Bad field conditions? Why?

Anytime a team purposely tries not to score to run clock, I always hope they fumble or miss a FG.
Why? It’s the smart play.

Pretty sure scoring instead of running clock was what led to the embarrassing Browns meltdown against the Jets this season.

It’s true, it’s true. Trust me …

Pretty sure scoring instead of running clock was what led to the embarrassing Browns meltdown against the Jets this season.

It’s smart when it works. It won’t be so smart the next time a team turns it over on the next play without scoring.

Let's go down the conspiracy hole farther. A slippery field benefits the Chiefs. Look a the Buffalo vrs Cincinnati game. Cincinnati offensive line looked remarkable. Bill defensive line couldn't get off. Eagles come into this game with a beast of a Defensive line. Not today Why?

Bad field conditions? Why?
The NFL seems to love that stadium in AZ, but that field tonight was an embarrassment. Biggest game of the year and you've got players slipping all over. Lucky the one kicker from Philly didn't hurt his ankle kicking off the one time, definitely rolled it.

Not a great look for the NFL between the chitty playing conditions and the chitty holding call to allow KC to almost run all the time out and kick a game-winning FG.

And the kicker missing an extra point, the mediocre QB throwing a pick and the horrible Joe Woods D and Mike Priefer special teams led to that meltdown. Things that plagued the crappy Browns all season.

Agree. This underdog thing with him is getting old. As is the screaming like a moron. Take it to the WWE.
Agreed. Anyone using WWF Attitude Era insults from 25 years ago in general discourse in 2023 is a complete toolbox.

It is the smart play, and absolutely what every team should do. That said, from a fan perspective, it feels like an anti climatic ending for a great game.

Crazy, crazy conspiracy theory. Brady retires, NFL loses fans. Flag thrown in KC's favor, NFL has a new QB, with 2 Super Bowls now, and even larger fan base to replace the outgoing Brady. Mahomes is now the only QB in the league with multiple titles. I'm not saying the game is rigged, but I'm not not saying that flag was convinent for KC. Once again, the Zebras get involved in the game more than they should. Even Greg Olsen, one of the most physical TE's was uneasy about the call. The ref saw what happened, had a flight or fight moment to throw the flag, and probably threw it unconsciously not knowing the outcome.

This should settle it:

Eagles' James Bradberry admits to committing late-debated penalty: 'It was a holding'​

Sure so the Chiefs had a 95% chance to win.
You think there was really only a 5% chance that down 38-35, with around 1:40 and 1 timeout left, that the Eagles could mount a drive to win the game or at least kick a FG to get the game to OT? I’d call it a 50% chance but maybe even better odds given how the Eagles offense had performed last night.

Reactions: LCL
What is undeniable is that just off the top of my head, there have been at least four critical calls or non-calls in marquee playoff games the past five years that all went the way of the team trying to establish itself in the LA market or the team with the league’s favorite young QB:

1. 2018 season NFC Championship Game: Rams at Saints — Blatant no-call on an obvious Rams pass interference forces a Saints FG and gives the Rams a reprieve from certain defeat had the penalty been called.

2. Super Bowl 56: Bengals vs. Rams — Logan Wilson is called for a ticky-tack defensive hold on 3rd down in the red zone, giving the Rams more chances to score a necessary TD while down by 4 points.

3. 2022 AFC Championship Game: Bengals at Chiefs — The refs missed two blatantly obvious holds on the Chiefs OL on the play where Mahomes got hit late, directly giving the Chiefs a FG try to win the game.

4. Super Bowl 57: Eagles vs. Chiefs — The refs call a ticky-tack defensive hold in the red zone, allowing the Chiefs to run out the clock and kick a chip-shot FG to win the game.

Whether these incidents are truly unbiased coincidences or not, NFL officiating perceptionally has a huge problem. Especially since the league is fully on board with the gambling culture now.

You think there was really only a 5% chance that down 38-35, with around 1:40 and 1 timeout left, that the Eagles could mount a drive to win the game or at least kick a FG to get the game to OT? I’d call it a 50% chance but maybe even better odds given how the Eagles offense had performed last night.

I just threw a number out there. It was early in the morning.

Last edited:
That could go either way … have seen it called and have seen it not called … I am in the camp that wouldn’t have called it in that situation because I don’t believe it made a difference in the play … but by the letter of the rules … not a wrong call.
I agree. I hated when the announcers said you don't call it. It's a freaking penalty that you call no matter how much time is left.
I think the Eagles got away with that 3rd and long play. The dude bobbled it when he was hit and only got one foot down IMHO.
Also when KC player #10 got hit and they went to commercial, the Eagles player speared (He was looking at the ground, not the chest!) him in the chest. That's a penalty too IMHO.

I just watched the game as a Bengals fan with a who cares attitude about who won it.
The commercials were a lot better than last year as well, but they have a thread on that already.

What is undeniable is that just off the top of my head, there have been at least four critical calls or non-calls in marquee playoff games the past five years that all went the way of the team trying to establish itself in the LA market or the team with the league’s favorite young QB:

1. 2018 season NFC Championship Game: Rams at Saints — Blatant no-call on an obvious Rams pass interference forces a Saints FG and gives the Rams a reprieve from certain defeat had the penalty been called.

2. Super Bowl 56: Bengals vs. Rams — Logan Wilson is called for a ticky-tack defensive hold on 3rd down in the red zone, giving the Rams more chances to score a necessary TD while down by 4 points.

3. 2022 AFC Championship Game: Bengals at Chiefs — The refs missed two blatantly obvious holds on the Chiefs OL on the play where Mahomes got hit late, directly giving the Chiefs a FG try to win the game.

4. Super Bowl 57: Eagles vs. Chiefs — The refs call a ticky-tack defensive hold in the red zone, allowing the Chiefs to run out the clock and kick a chip-shot FG to win the game.

Whether these incidents are truly unbiased coincidences or not, NFL officiating perceptionally has a huge problem. Especially since the league is fully on board with the gambling culture now.

Don't foget the late hit on Burrow on the Bengals possession before the Mahomes out of bounds hit. If they called that the Mahomes hit out of bounds never happens and Bengals go down and score.

KC played at that stadium in September and complained then to the league how bad the field conditions were. That is pathetic with today's technology not to have a better field.

Weird that both Chiefs players and Georgia players ran with that narrative this year
Every sports team wanting to be considered the underdog and the apparent majority of people wanting to be considered victims in general society seem to be parallel thought processes that are all too rampant in today’s America.

Today's sports narratives....

• We don't blame the participants in the game if our team wins or loses, we blame the officials. There was 125 plays in last night's game, yet many are focusing on one play, and saying the officials are awful. It was a hold. Even the Eagles DB said so.
  • Everyone is disrespected? The Chiefs were being considered slight underdogs, alot due to Mahomes ankle injury. But the Chiefs got so much praise all season long, where is being disrespected coming from?
IMO, that was a top 10 super bowl last night. The Eagles DOMINATED the first half, and even gave the Chiefs a score. Up 24-10 at half. The Chiefs when right down the field and scored to start the second half, Mahomes looked like a new man.
Eagles responded with a score, Chiefs got two more to take the lead - and how open were those guys???
Biggest plays of the game - the fumble return for TD, and the 60 yard punt return.

NFL can fix the ref problem by saying don’t throw flags under two minutes in a championship game unless somebody’s head is rolling on the ground. That two straight Super Bowls with tricky tack penalties influencing the end of great games