2022 Cincinnati Bengals

Right. He really doesn't need piling on today.

Cincinnati hangover..... sucks. The team got to see a first. Opponent die and be brought back to life. It is just a game. That should put things in perspective for me.

They spent a fortune on FA O-line last off-season....That O-line was really coming together til week 17 when 3/5ths of em' got season ending injuries....Every single O-lineman in college wears those big metal slat knee braces that offer protection when they get rolled up on from the side. Few if any NFL guys wear them, Bengals need to make them mandatory going forward. Players Association probably would not allow it, but losing Collins, Cappa, and Williams heading into the playoffs made this a very different offense.
Williams gave up 12 sacks on the season before being injured. Collins been injured the last 3 years, reason the Bengals got him cheap. The future is Burrow get him two solid tackles either through FA or draft or both.

Browns have 4 NFL Championships.

Brownie fans have to quit living in the past. The browns last win was in 1964, I was 9 years old. My youngest grandchild is now 12, two generations and still nothing done. Try getting to the superbowl then you can talk, we may all be dead of old age before that happens...

Brownie fans have to quit living in the past. The browns last win was in 1964, I was 9 years old. My youngest grandchild is now 12, two generations and still nothing done. Try getting to the superbowl then you can talk, we may all be dead of old age before that happens...
I don't think Browns fans go around bragging about the championships constantly or anything

At the same time, it's stupid to count a Super Bowl from the Packers in the 1966 season and then act like a 1964 title doesn't count. The NFL just rebranded. It isn't a poll title. It's a championship won on the field. And they did that 4 times

This also isn't counting the first Rams title which was in Cleveland and the Cleveland and Canton bulldogs as well . Just the Browns who have 4 NFL titles

The Browns' playoff history is 17-21 and includes 8 titles. The first four were the All America Conference in the late 40's. For those who think that was a minor league, the validity of those titles was established by the Browns' entry into the NFL in 1950 when the Browns, 49ers and Colts merged with the NFL. In their first game in the NFL, the Browns obliterated the defending NFL champ, the Eagles, 35-10 (Otto Graham, Marion Motley, Bill Willis, Len Ford vs. Norm Van Brocklin and Steve Van Buren) before 71,000 in Philadelphia. They beat the Eagles again later that season and then went onto win the NFL championship that year on a Lou Groza field goal, beating the now LA Rams, 30-28.

The Browns were, by far, the best team in pro football for a decade (1945-1955). They last won a title (over the Unitas-led Colts) in 1964. There were the Sipe years and the Bernie years in the 80's, but mostly a lack of success since PB left.

Last edited:
Me watching Browns/Bengals fans argue over mediocrity...
seth meyers GIF

• Haha
Reactions: LCL
The Browns' playoff history is 17-21 and includes 8 titles. The first four were the All America Conference in the late 40's. For those who think that was a minor league, the validity of those titles was established by the Browns' entry into the NFL in 1950 when the Browns, 49ers and Colts merged with the NFL. In their first game, the Browns obliterated the defending NFL champ, the Eagles, 35-10 (Otto Graham, Marion Motley, Bill Willis, Len Ford vs. Norm Van Brocklin and Steve Van Buren) before 71,000 in Philadelphia. They beat the Eagles again later that season and then went onto win the NFL championship that year on a Lou Groza field goal, beating the now LA Rams, 30-28.

The Browns were, by far, the best team in pro football for a decade (1945-1955). They last won a title (over the Unitas-led Colts) in 1964. There were the Sipe years and the Bernie years in the 80's, but mostly a lack of success since PB left.

Those things are all true and I love the historical aspect of football - the merger of the AAC & NFL and how the Browns came in and dominated. Many believed the Philadelphia Stars of the old USFL would have been at least a wild card team in the NFL.

How many people were alive in 1964 when the Browns last won a title? That’s 59 years ago. In 2021 the median age in the US was 38.8. In 2021 the US population was around 330 million and about 75 million were 60 or older. Burrow is young, Baltimore & Pittsburgh are solid franchises and Browns are led by a guy who needed rub & tugs from 60+ message therapist for the next 4 years.

As my good friend MentorGrad2002 points out, we Browns fans accept our irrelevance and mediocrity over many decades. What grates is that so many (others) buy into the idea that pro football didn't exist before Green Bay, Vince and Super Bowl I in 1967. The NFL didn't start with Joe Namath OR Vince Lombardi...or even Alan Ameche going into the end zone to win the first big TV game in the late 50's. The Browns were the greatest team in pro football for a solid ten years...it's not an asterisk and just a few teams can match that level of success. The Steelers can; the Bengals can't. They won lots of relevant titles with great players. Any list of top NFL quarterbacks throughout history that excludes Graham is not worth looking at. The same for Motley at running back.

As my good friend MentorGrad2002 points out, we Browns fans accept our irrelevance and mediocrity over many decades. What grates is that so many (others) buy into the idea that pro football didn't exist before Green Bay, Vince and Super Bowl I in 1967. The NFL didn't start with Joe Namath OR Vince Lombardi...or even Alan Ameche going into the end zone to win the first big TV game in the late 50's. The Browns were the greatest team in pro football for a solid ten years...it's not an asterisk and just a few teams can match that level of success. The Steelers can; the Bengals can't. They won lots of relevant titles with great players. Any list of top NFL quarterbacks throughout history that excludes Graham is not worth looking at. The same for Motley at running back.
No one cares about ancient history. Any Browns fan bragging about 4 championships is even more cringe than a Reds fan using the Big Red Machine to say the Reds are a successful franchise.

It’s true, it’s true. Trust me …

My primary takeaway from last night is something I’ve mentioned on here before: The Bengals needed to take advantage of the golden opportunity they had last season.

Teams just don’t get that many legit favorable shots to win the Super Bowl, so you gotta take advantage when it’s there. Last year’s Bengals stayed about as healthy as an NFL team could hope for. They got a favorable playoff path with a mediocre Raiders team, got to play paper #1 seed Tennessee instead of running into Buffalo, and then played a great game in Kansas City where Andy Reid donated a baffling call to end the first half to take points off the board and give the Bengals added life.

Then in the Super Bowl, you meet a good but top-heavy Rams team that has a good but not elite QB in Stafford and the Rams lost OBJ in the middle of the game. To not finish the deal really hurts because they’ll never get a better look at a title than that.

“The window is always open” is technically true, but look at this year: Injuries are playing a massive role in the outcomes. Just yesterday, down three O linemen and Tyler Boyd, the Bengals offense was essentially impotent if you take away the two individual hero plays by Higgins and Chase. The Chiefs were down to MVS and practice squad guys at WR. The 49ers literally ran out of QBs. The Eagles are now the favorite simply because they’re relatively the healthiest.

It’s only going to get tougher after next season, once Burrow (and Chase) are making big money.

The Bengals are squandering massive opportunities to win a ring and the fanbase seems overconfident about the outlook, IMO.

“The window was always open” for other star QBs who didn’t win many rings. Aaron Rodgers only has one title despite being considered the most talented QB for many years before Mahomes usurped that role. Drew Brees only won one. Peyton Manning only won one until Denver’s defense carried his noodle arm to a second title in 2015. Dan Marino never won one. Jim Kelly never won one.

Win it all next year or things will really start looking perilous.

Talking about yesterday's failure is living in the past.

Look to tomorrow.

As for the game last night, there were so many things to blame:

1. Adeniji and Scharping were atrocious and let the Chiefs D line totally wreck the offense.

2. Burrow held onto the ball too long a couple of times and threw an uncharacteristic INT in the first half. (The second INT was a great defensive play and worked as well as a punt.)

3. The Bengals’ pass rush rarely got to Mahomes. Ossai was ironically the most effective rusher.

4. Mike Hilton had an uncharacteristically bad game in coverage.

5. The last punt needed to be angled to a sideline, not driven down the middle of the field.

6. The Ossai penalty at the end of the game.

7. The refs missing obvious penalties against Kansas City.

The needs for this team appear to be:

Left tackle
O line depth
Cornerback — especially since who knows how well Awuzie will come back
Running back (assuming Mixon isn’t around)
Safety
Edge rush depth
Linebacker if Pratt leaves
Tight end depth
A proven backup QB

They have a lot of work ahead to improve as many of these spots as possible.

That was a tough one man. :(

Obviously not thrilled with the officiating, but at the end of the day, we had our chances and didn't get it done. Still pretty happy to make the final 4 2 straight years after a decade in sucktown.
Sucktown! 😂 Love it!
Yappisters pick me up when I’m down. 👍

Hopefully next season can be as enjoyable as the last two seasons.

Bengals heading into the 2023 season:

* $224.8 mil will be the NFL Team Salary Cap
* Bengals currently are $43.7 mil under with 41 players under contract for 2023 season.
* Draft Picks: Bengals have all 7 of their picks for 2023 and for 2024. For 2023 they will be picking:
- 1st: 28th overall, 2nd: 60, 3rd: 92, 4th: 131, 5th: 165, 6th: 206, 7th: 248
*** Picks in the 4th round on down will drop further down from an overall standpoint due to compensatory picks getting awarded.
*** Bengals are not projected to receive any compensatory picks for the 2023 draft

* Players on the last year of their Rookie contract
- QB Joe Burrow (age 26): For 2023 Burrow will be a $11.5 mil cap hit. If Bengals do not extend Burrow they will obviously pick up his 5th year option which is projected to be $30.1 mil for 2024. I would expect the Bengals & Burrow to agree to an extension this offseason for something along the lines of 5 year for $250+ mil with $200 mil guaranteed.
* Wr Tee Higgins (age 23): For 2023 Higgins will be a $3.9 mil cap hit. If Bengals do not extend Higgins he will be a unrestricted FA next year. If he signs with someone else next year, Higgins would probably be a 3rd or at worse 4th round compensatory pick for 2024 draft. If Bengals extend Higgins, the top 14 highest paid wr's all make approximately $20 mil per year with about 2/3 of the deal guaranteed. Thus, maybe something like a 4 year, $80 mil with $60 mil guaranteed.
* LB Logan Wilson (age 26): For 2023 Wilson will be a $3 mil cap hit. Same as Higgins will be a UFA next year if they do not extend this off season. Top 15 Inside LB's currently make approximately $10 mil per year with about 60% guaranteed. Thus, maybe something like a 4 year, $40 mil with $25 mil guaranteed.

* Potential Salary restructures or cap causalities:
- OT La'el Collins (age 29) - For 2023 Collins is a $9.3 mil cap hit but if cut, would save $6 mil with only $3.3 mil dead $$$. He could start the year on IR due to the knee injury so that alone may keep him on the Bengal roster for 2023.
- RB Joe Mixon (age 26) - For 2023 Mixon is a $12.8 mil cap hit but if cut, would save $7.2 mil with $5.5 mil dead $$$. Definitely a restructure candidate because he will 99.99% be cut before the 2024 season where he is a $13.1 mil cap it but if cut a $10.3 mil savings & only $2.7 mil dead $$$.
- CB Chidohe Awuzie (age 26) - For 2023 Awuzie is a $7.9 mil cap it but if cut, would save $6.4 mil with $1.5 mil dead $$$.

The Bengals have cap flexibility for 2023 but beginning in 2024, that will start to erode. Plus, Ja'Marr Chase will be up for either the 5th year option/extension. Chase will cost $27.5-$30 mil per year, it wont be cheap.

As long as Burrow is healthy and upright over the next 7-10+ years, Bengals will be a Super Bowl Contender. Bengals front office has to step up and make correct decisions. Every year they have Burrow the Bengals should draft a OL, Specialty player (RB, WR, TE) and a Defensive player in the first 3 rounds. Don't do what Green Bay did to Rodgers, keep talent around Burrow.

Last edited:
Looking at some Facebook comments regarding yesterdays game the consensus among Bengal fans (80% female) is that the Chiefs paid off the refs. Lol.

• Haha
Reactions: y2h
My primary takeaway from last night is something I’ve mentioned on here before: The Bengals needed to take advantage of the golden opportunity they had last season.

Teams just don’t get that many legit favorable shots to win the Super Bowl, so you gotta take advantage when it’s there. Last year’s Bengals stayed about as healthy as an NFL team could hope for. They got a favorable playoff path with a mediocre Raiders team, got to play paper #1 seed Tennessee instead of running into Buffalo, and then played a great game in Kansas City where Andy Reid donated a baffling call to end the first half to take points off the board and give the Bengals added life.

Then in the Super Bowl, you meet a good but top-heavy Rams team that has a good but not elite QB in Stafford and the Rams lost OBJ in the middle of the game. To not finish the deal really hurts because they’ll never get a better look at a title than that.

“The window is always open” is technically true, but look at this year: Injuries are playing a massive role in the outcomes. Just yesterday, down three O linemen and Tyler Boyd, the Bengals offense was essentially impotent if you take away the two individual hero plays by Higgins and Chase. The Chiefs were down to MVS and practice squad guys at WR. The 49ers literally ran out of QBs. The Eagles are now the favorite simply because they’re relatively the healthiest.

It’s only going to get tougher after next season, once Burrow (and Chase) are making big money.

The Bengals are squandering massive opportunities to win a ring and the fanbase seems overconfident about the outlook, IMO.

“The window was always open” for other star QBs who didn’t win many rings. Aaron Rodgers only has one title despite being considered the most talented QB for many years before Mahomes usurped that role. Drew Brees only won one. Peyton Manning only won one until Denver’s defense carried his noodle arm to a second title in 2015. Dan Marino never won one. Jim Kelly never won one.

Win it all next year or things will really start looking perilous.

Spot on.

Looking at some Facebook comments regarding yesterdays game the consensus among Bengal fans (80% female) is that the Chiefs paid off the refs. Lol.
The Bengals didn't play well, specifically on offense (though neither did KC). The referees were BAD. But they didn't affect the outcome of the game. Bengals had chances, they didn't capitalize.

The Bengals didn't play well, specifically on offense (though neither did KC). The referees were BAD. But they didn't affect the outcome of the game. Bengals had chances, they didn't capitalize.
Bengals did have opportunities they didn't take advantage of but offiating does have a huge impact in these types of games. The seires or two before the winning drive Burrow got hit after a throw and there was no call. I've seen lesser hits get the flag, the league is way too inconsistent wqith the roughing the passer penalities. Giving KC an extra down ended up helping them extend a drive which consumes clock. There were more and it's weird, if its coincidence or not but in games like this it does seem like call tend to go against one team more than another and I just don't remember so many call like this ever going Cincinnati's way consistently like they did for KC