2022-2023 General Discussion

Is this what a "Michigan Man" is all about?

Players WAY calmer than I could hope to be. Probbly why they are so high profile good.
Scroll down and see the one with Izzo screaming at the ref, while wearing an elf outfit? lol.

Juwan Howard took a swing at an assistant from Wisconsin last year and was suspended and had to have anger control therapy. Obviously not working. The Big ten and U of Michigan needs to sit this guy down, for months if not for good.

Juwan Howard took a swing at an assistant from Wisconsin last year and was suspended and had to have anger control therapy. Obviously not working. The Big ten and U of Michigan needs to sit this guy down, for months if not for good.
Agreed. All coaches get angry and yell at refs. But this guy crosses over and gets physical when he's angry. Just a matter of time until a guy this big KO's someone. Strong message needs to be sent.

Other than bouncing it off the backboard to Edey, nothing Purdue does even looks like basketball. Even win today, the #1 should be revoked for fraud.

Watched an entertaining mid major game tonight up close…

Cleveland State falls to UW Milwaukee in OT, 68-64, in a game that CSU led most of the way. Both teams had a number of quality athletes. Enaruna (CSU), a European who originally enrolled at Kansas, 6’8”, is a good athlete and can attack the basket with either hand. Tae Williams (CSU), is 6’7”, is a terrific athlete. His hoops skills and concentration are weak…

UWM had Moses Bol on their roster...7'1"; described in a bio as Manute's cousin. Played only a few minutes...not sure he touched the ball...

CSU plays their games @ The Wolstein Center...originally 13,000 seats...about 6-7 years ago, they re-arranged things, put up a big curtain, and the capacity was reduced to 8 or 9,000. Only VERY rarely has CSU filled it up for a regular season game. I was in attendance in 2003 when they gave North Carolina a game, but lost.

The arena was conceived and ground was broken very soon after the "run and stun" Sweet 16 run in the late 80's (part of the "Season on the Brink" IU story)...but CSU got into trouble (involving Manute Bol, primarily!) and the program has never recovered...and the whole basketball enterprise at the mid majors is not what it once was. Last night, maybe 600-700 people in attendance. It's a good entertainment value but CSU struggles to recruit good players. The students (heavy commuter school) aren't very interested and, for them, it's free to attend. When CSU develops a player (like Bryn Forbes), the guy usually moves on quickly (Forbes to MSU and still playing in the NBA).

CSU has announced a new "master plan" for the school that includes demolishing The Wolstein Center, replacing it with something much smaller in the 5,000 seat range...and closer on the campus to where the students live. The Wolstein Center never made much sense...about 3/4 miles down the road from Rocket Mortgage Fieldhouse (Cavs). It's now pretty dreary and, I'm sure, is a big money loser for the college just paying the heating bill.

The Wolstein Center is a few years older than the arena down the road. My assumption has always been that in the 80s the school thought they could've gotten the big ticket events when the big arena was still in Richfield, and that entire idea was blown up by the Cavs deciding to come back downtown and the gateway project. My dates may be off, but I don't think the Gateway project was being planned when the Wolstein broke ground (EDIT: It seems like the Gateway project was being "planned", but didn't become a reality until the Wolstein Center was under construction). It was also built at a terrible time for arena amenities, right before a lot of the modern things we see today, one concourse is barely enough for a 10,000 seat arena, let alone one that could conceivably fill up to 13k.

CSU is doing the right thing, and the new arena should do well. Will be a great venue for high school hoops and maybe even hockey if the university decides to fork over the money and go all in for the arena.

My recollection is that these projects were going forward nearly simultaneously. Due to CSU’s optimism about the basketball program, there wasn‘t much going on to plan/collaborate...or reconsider their original plans for a 13,000 seat arena…that couldn’t serve the Cavs. The taxpayer was very badly served in all this. CSU went on probation. Then, in 1990, head coach Kevin Mackey was arrested in a crack house. Saigon fell.

In retrospect, CSU should have built a classy 4-5,000 seat arena and gotten commitments from the Cavs as to the availability of Gund as needed.

I think today that's the reality. Since 2015 RMFH is a consultant to the school/Wolstein Center. I vaguely remember them saying years ago that CSU could play at the Q if it was necessary (though I don't think they ever have), and I assume is the partnership that led to the Cavs G League team the Charge moving from Canton to downtown. I wonder how student housing will do in place of the Wolstein Center. It's great the school is taking the initiative and I hope it goes well, but one carjacking of a confused out of town student making a wrong turn on Cedar may blow the whole thing up. But I will say, there are a lot less crime problems at Cleveland State than people think, and I would actually bet it's a safer campus than OSU (I might not win, but I'd take the bet)

Things are getting ugly in Lexington. I think it’s best for Cal and UK they come to a mutual parting of ways at the end of this yr.

If I was UK’s AD, I’d be calling: Nate Oats, Scott Drew, and Eric Mussselman.

Things are getting ugly in Lexington. I think it’s best for Cal and UK they come to a mutual parting of ways at the end of this yr.

If I was UK’s AD, I’d be calling: Nate Oats, Scott Drew, and Eric Mussselman.
Drew has a couple nephews in the works that he might take with him. One is already at a small D1, with skills beyond it but keeps him close to home. The other is a soph with guard skills, growing fast and getting big looks.

Drew has a couple nephews in the works that he might take with him. One is already at a small D1, with skills beyond it but keeps him close to home. The other is a soph with guard skills, growing fast and getting big looks.
The talking heads have said he might not be a good fit at UK. The negativity and pressure from the fans might be too much for him. I think Oats is the easy choice. Bama will never fully invest in basketball the way UK does.

Nebraska down two starters and Purdue's freshmen on fire took the suspense out but Nebraska is worth catching if only to watch their Walker and Tominaga. These guys hustle and skill all game long.

Purdue @ MSU:

The last minute of game play takes 21 minutes. Purdue lands another game the other team's best player injured in previous game. Also another one point win.

Emoni Bates going off like I've never seen a player go off. 6 or 7 threes in a row in 6 or 7 possesions. 27 pts in 11 minutes. 7/8 and 10/12

Purdue @ MSU:

The last minute of game play takes 21 minutes. Purdue lands another game the other team's best player injured in previous game. Also another one point win.
I saw that, incredible how the last few minutes drug on. And people get mad because baseball is slow???

I saw that, incredible how the last few minutes drug on. And people get mad because baseball is slow???

In the IU - Purdue game, half the players will be from Indiana, two more from nearby Cinci. No talk of "NIL." I think Edey gets his selling hockey shirts. Pretty cool looking too.

Alabama got smashed and the SEC got trounced in their challenge against the Big 12. I always knew the SEC is not good.