Piqua D 4 Sectional

Redskin Man

Thoughts on the sectional; which is always a fun one! My thoughts for top 4 seeds
1) JC
2)Russia
3) FL
4) Botkins
With Loramie going in bracket with JC and Botkins going with Russia!! Which could be 2 very fun sectional title games! Thoughts?

Thoughts on the sectional; which is always a fun one! My thoughts for top 4 seeds
1) JC
2)Russia
3) FL
4) Botkins
With Loramie going in bracket with JC and Botkins going with Russia!! Which could be 2 very fun sectional title games! Thoughts?
Where do Lehman and Bradford go? They seem like the only two that could jump up and on a really good night knock off FL or Botkins. If Davidson was playing it would be real interesting to see which bracket got three of the top 5.

1) JC
2)Russia
3) FL
4) Botkins
What a shame that is,two good teams getting knock out that early

The worst part about it is I think Russia, JC and FL are all top 3 in SW Ohio with Troy Christian right behind FL. The district final games against the Cincinnati teams are going to be absolute blowouts. It is a shame, they won't open things up like they do in division 3 and let these teams pick and choose where they want to go.

That would produce a Troy Christian/Jackson Center District Final or a Fort Loramie/Jackson Center district final instead of a Jackson Center/Riverview East district final where JC wins by 35 points.

The last couple years I have gone to the sectional finals at piqua and skipped the district finals because they are always boring.

The worst part about it is I think Russia, JC and FL are all top 3 in SW Ohio with Troy Christian right behind FL. The district final games against the Cincinnati teams are going to be absolute blowouts. It is a shame, they won't open things up like they do in division 3 and let these teams pick and choose where they want to go.

That would produce a Troy Christian/Jackson Center District Final or a Fort Loramie/Jackson Center district final instead of a Jackson Center/Riverview East district final where JC wins by 35 points.

The last couple years I have gone to the sectional finals at piqua and skipped the district finals because they are always boring.
I have done the same in regards to districts. The three games played in one evening at UD used to be my second favorite night of the year next to the Regional final game. Now, I prefer to watch the Piqua sectional finals over districts, and then pick it back up at regionals. There was a day when a few of those Cincinnati small schools would compete at the same level as the northern part of the region. That's been quite some time now. When was the last year a team south of I-70 won the small school regional?

2002 South eastern won it I believe, but I was really thinking about Georgetown, Lockland and some in the I-75 corridor.

The district finals will be:

Piqua team vs Cincy team
Piqua team vs Troy team
Troy team vs Cincy team

If the draws happened today that piqua/troy game could be JC/FL/Russia vs Cedarville/SCC. That should be a competitive game. The others probably not.

Is Russia or JC looking like the #1 right now? JC beat Russia right?

At some point you think Tri-Village will be back down in D4. Depending on which sectional they land that could make things even more interesting.

The district finals will be:

Piqua team vs Cincy team
Piqua team vs Troy team
Troy team vs Cincy team

If the draws happened today that piqua/troy game could be JC/FL/Russia vs Cedarville/SCC. That should be a competitive game. The others probably not.

Is Russia or JC looking like the #1 right now? JC beat Russia right?

At some point you think Tri-Village will be back down in D4. Depending on which sectional they land that could make things even more interesting.
I think JC will be the #1 they have won #15 in a row, could get that number to 17 by the end of the weekend.

Jackson and Russia split this season. Russia beat JC the first game of the season by 3. (JC blew a 13 point lead). The second game JC led by 8-12 the entire time won by 13.

#1 seed in piqua will go to Cincinnati. That assures them a weak district final game, and then they would play a Columbus team in the regional semi final (which the last two years have not been good).

My guess will be the two winners of the Piqua sectional will play each other for a Regional title.

I think JC will be the #1 they have won #15 in a row, could get that number to 17 by the end of the weekend.

Jackson and Russia split this season. Russia beat JC the first game of the season by 3. (JC blew a 13 point lead). The second game JC led by 8-12 the entire time won by 13.

#1 seed in piqua will go to Cincinnati. That assures them a weak district final game, and then they would play a Columbus team in the regional semi final (which the last two years have not been good).

My guess will be the two winners of the Piqua sectional will play each other for a Regional title.
Totally agree with your assessment, however, I would take the field vs one of the Piqua teams not making it to the regional finals. Most years there is that unexpected upset, which is why we play the games out.

I think you have to go all the way back to the good Lockland teams in maybe 2010-2012 time frames to find a Cincy district champion. Early I saw Cinc Chr and thought maybe this year they could get one but no chance if they have to play Piqua. If they get in the bracket that plays Troy they would have a chance against those teams.

Top 5 at Piqua: JC/Russia/FL/Botkins/Lehman
Top 5 at Troy: TC/Cedarville/CC/Day Chr/Legacy Chr
Top 10 combined: JC/Russia/TC/FL/Botkins/Cedarville/CC/Lehman/Day Chr/Legacy Chr

Sad we don't have a super sectional

Makes sense. I really don't know who is in Columbus for D4. I am familiar with the assortment of teams coming out of Cincy but don't know how they are doing this year. Been too busy to follow. I wouldn't count out the team coming from Troy in the regional semis (assuming they get past the Cincy team). One game situation....things happen sometimes.

Any idea how the brackets work for the final 4? Just wondering when the SW crosses path with a team like Marion Local.

Makes sense. I really don't know who is in Columbus for D4. I am familiar with the assortment of teams coming out of Cincy but don't know how they are doing this year. Been too busy to follow. I wouldn't count out the team coming from Troy in the regional semis (assuming they get past the Cincy team). One game situation....things happen sometimes.

Any idea how the brackets work for the final 4? Just wondering when the SW crosses path with a team like Marion Local.
SW got the short straw this year and drew Richmond Heights.

Every year I look at the top 4-5 teams in this sectional, glance at Troy, and think about the absurdity of not having an open draw like the other three divisions when the two sites used for D4 are all of about 10 miles apart.
Well the SCL has an opportunity to get 2 teams to the regionals. The MAC teams that go to the Wapak district can have only one team advance. How many times in the past esp. in volleyball the MAC could have sent 2 teams to the regionals if the sectionals and districts were set up as they are for the SCL schools.

Well the SCL has an opportunity to get 2 teams to the regionals. The MAC teams that go to the Wapak district can have only one team advance. How many times in the past esp. in volleyball the MAC could have sent 2 teams to the regionals if the sectionals and districts were set up as they are for the SCL schools.
This is a year where if D4 was run like D1-D3, there's probably a pretty good chance all three SW district D4 champions would be from the Piqua sectional.

D4 should be the same as D1, with the unbalanced format of 5 Cincinnati sectionals to 3 in Dayton. D4 Dayton should have 4 in an open draw to the 2 coming out of Cincinnati.

I get what you're saying about D4 Wapak, but the NWDAB is consistent with "closed" districts that are strictly geographic. There are a few that are very stout as a result. The way the D4 SW district tournament is run is the exception to what is the law of the land in D1-D3, and it regularly knocks out some of the better teams earlier than it should while allowing lesser teams to advance.

This is a year where if D4 was run like D1-D3, there's probably a pretty good chance all three SW district D4 champions would be from the Piqua sectional.

D4 should be the same as D1, with the unbalanced format of 5 Cincinnati sectionals to 3 in Dayton. D4 Dayton should have 4 in an open draw to the 2 coming out of Cincinnati.

I get what you're saying about D4 Wapak, but the NWDAB is consistent with "closed" districts that are strictly geographic. There are a few that are very stout as a result. The way the D4 SW district tournament is run is the exception to what is the law of the land in D1-D3, and it regularly knocks out some of the better teams earlier than it should while allowing lesser teams to advance.
I completely agree with you. The MAC at least gets the good on good late in the tournament with the best teams playing for District Championships. That doesn't happen in SW Ohio.

The SW district needs to open it all up. Seed all 41 teams in SW Ohio. Have 3 locations to choose from and have 6 champions.

Piqua or Troy, Vandalia, and a place south of Dayton (take your pick). Allow those teams to pick where they want to go. You will have 2 brackets at each place.

District Championship Scores vs Cincinnati Teams:
Last year 21-22:
Tri Village 64
Feyettville-Perry 29

Botkins 73
Ripley Union 39

2021:
Botkins 50
Feyettville Perry 33

Tri Village 62
New Miami 39

2020: (Troy Sectional was awful this year)
Cincinnati Christian 58
Emmanuel Christian 41

Fort Loramie 59
New Miami 37

2019:
Springfield CC 71
New Miami 63

Fort Loramie 49
Cincinnati Christian 41 (22-3)

2018:
Fort Loramie 68
Middletown Christian 33

Springfield CC 58
Ripley 46

Are we all expecting marion local to make it to state this year out of NW Ohio?

For several years SW D4 was the three Dayton district champs plus the Wapak champ. Now they decide bringing in Columbus district is prefered over the Wapak district I guess. So only way south west regional winner crosses paths with Marion is final 4?

For several years SW D4 was the three Dayton district champs plus the Wapak champ. Now they decide bringing in Columbus district is prefered over the Wapak district I guess.
Yes but I’m saying is ML good enough to be the hands down favorite to go to state in NW?

I believe they would be good enough to be a legit contender for SW region champs. I have no idea on teams north of Mercer County in general.

If they open up the sectional like other divisions, it wouldn't affect the district matchups. There would still be two district games in which Cincinnati teams would face Dayton teams.

From my memory, Cincinnati Christian might be the only Cincinnati area school that's won a district title (2-3 times) in the last 8-10 years. I can't remember Ripley winning one. It's been a while for Lockland.

District tournament ought to look like (if conducted like D1-D3) Troy/Piqua 1 vs. Cincinnati 1, Troy/Piqua 2 vs. Cincinnati 2, and Troy/Piqua 3 vs. Troy/Piqua 4. This year it would probably net two SCAL district champs in those first two games, and an SCAL/Troy Christian matchup in the third game. The Troy/Piqua district bracket in a lot of years could look like teams 3 through 7 or 8, or this year, something like Troy Christian, Cedarville, and Catholic Central, slapped together with Fort Loramie, Botkins, and Bradford. More quality games than what the current format produces.

Last edited:
I completely agree with you. The MAC at least gets the good on good late in the tournament with the best teams playing for District Championships. That doesn't happen in SW Ohio.

The SW district needs to open it all up. Seed all 41 teams in SW Ohio. Have 3 locations to choose from and have 6 champions.

Piqua or Troy, Vandalia, and a place south of Dayton (take your pick). Allow those teams to pick where they want to go. You will have 2 brackets at each place.

District Championship Scores vs Cincinnati Teams:
Last year 21-22:
Tri Village 64
Feyettville-Perry 29

Botkins 73
Ripley Union 39

2021:
Botkins 50
Feyettville Perry 33

Tri Village 62
New Miami 39

2020: (Troy Sectional was awful this year)
Cincinnati Christian 58
Emmanuel Christian 41

Fort Loramie 59
New Miami 37

2019:
Springfield CC 71
New Miami 63

Fort Loramie 49
Cincinnati Christian 41 (22-3)

2018:
Fort Loramie 68
Middletown Christian 33

Springfield CC 58
Ripley 46
That 2020 Emmanuel team was not that good. But as much as the Piqua teams like to take shots at Troy the real weak spot is Cincy.

I am sure there are other candidates hence the "like" part of my statement. I am just not as familiar with all those teams up that way.

That 2020 Emmanuel team was not that good. But as much as the Piqua teams like to take shots at Troy the real weak spot is Cincy.
100% correct on that....I would agree. Allowing 2 cincinnati teams to make it to the district final every year is comical.

I think you have to go all the way back to the good Lockland teams in maybe 2010-2012 time frames to find a Cincy district champion. Early I saw Cinc Chr and thought maybe this year they could get one but no chance if they have to play Piqua. If they get in the bracket that plays Troy they would have a chance against those teams.

Top 5 at Piqua: JC/Russia/FL/Botkins/Lehman
Top 5 at Troy: TC/Cedarville/CC/Day Chr/Legacy Chr
Top 10 combined: JC/Russia/TC/FL/Botkins/Cedarville/CC/Lehman/Day Chr/Legacy Chr

Sad we don't have a super sectional
Lehman Vs Bradford Saturday is likely for the 5th seed. Lehman did lose to Ansonia which is at Piqua also.