What are you watching?

The Incredible Dr. Pol...things I've learned so far:

1. I don't want his job, at all
2. I don't know how cows even exist
3. If your kid says they want a pony, tell 'em to watch this and see if it changes your mind.
4. The word "castrate" is thrown around way too loosely
5. The word "prolapse" is a dirty word

Other than that, the old dude is pretty smart and good at his job.

Yeah, I echo this loudly.

Found the show scrolling my hulu free trial and searched for a mention. Bob had before but cryptic.

Words are fast, I had to use the subtitles to follow.
The wife is very frustrated by the current situation with regards to being able to understand dialogue in a film. This is a decent vid on the subject:

Monty Python…Almost the Truth (Netflix)

Six episode documentary…50 minutes each. If you’re a fan, it’s a must. From the TV show’s genesis, to the movies to Spamalot. Probably could have condensed it, kept the good stuff, shorten the making of “Grail”, and made it four episodes, but, overall, worth it.

The wife is very frustrated by the current situation with regards to being able to understand dialogue in a film. This is a decent vid on the subject:

Makes some sense. But those same problems apply to TV shows. I watch almost everything with subtitles. When I happen to turn on a show without subtitles, it basically tells how good the sound is by how long I watch before I realize the CC isn't on yet.

Another feature that I really like about CC is that there are inaudible sounds that they print on the screen. Things that a regular viewer will have no idea what is being said and sometimes it really adds to the show.

The worst part of CC is getting ahead of the dialogue. I usually know if the defendant in L&O is guilty or not guilty before any of the attorneys...

Interesting…educational.

But, the bottom line seems to be it‘s a big F You to the consumer. The whole situation is explained but better sound seems fixable…like Bartleby, they’d prefer not to.

We assumed it was, primarily, our failing hearing as we age. I’m sure that’s a part, though it seems to be a small part.

And, FWIW, I challenge any American to watch…and understand, the dialogue in Derry Girls without subtitles.

Interesting…educational.

And, FWIW, I challenge any American to watch…and understand, the dialogue in Derry Girls without subtitles.
I know right? Same problem with Das Boot. Stupid furoners can't speak proper 'merican.

As for failing hearing, part of the issue goes to what they're saying in the vid. It's not the amplitude, it's the frequency. Males particularly lose abilities to hear and perceive in the higher frequencies. That's why it's so hard to pay attention to wives and kids. It's not our fault. It's nature's blessing.

Makes some sense. But those same problems apply to TV shows. I watch almost everything with subtitles. When I happen to turn on a show without subtitles, it basically tells how good the sound is by how long I watch before I realize the CC isn't on yet.

Another feature that I really like about CC is that there are inaudible sounds that they print on the screen. Things that a regular viewer will have no idea what is being said and sometimes it really adds to the show.

The worst part of CC is getting ahead of the dialogue. I usually know if the defendant in L&O is guilty or not guilty before any of the attorneys...

Attachments

• visible.jpg
    visible.jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 19
I thought it was just me, especially when I watch a movie on my laptop, which has great sound for music btw. Good to know.

I've always thought watching with closed captions would be annoying - much like the bottom screen crawler during sports. Will check out.

Thought everyone was too rotten to enjoy…as a criminal lawyer, I’m expert on rotten
Well written characters don’t necessarily need to be top notch citizens. Each storyline was well done and there was no bloat or wasted screentime. All around well done

Well written characters don’t necessarily need to be top notch citizens. Each storyline was well done and there was no bloat or wasted screentime. All around well done
Your opinion is noted. Valid…as is mine. Entertainment…to be enjoyed. I didn’t…

Started the new reality show "The Traitors" last night. Not sure how I feel about it yet. I love the concept, but not so much the contestants. Most of them are people from previous reality shows desperately trying to hang on to their 15 minutes of fame, along with some "normal" people mixed in.

So it's 20 people in a Scottish mansion. The show is kind of like Clue meets Survivor. They have challenges each episode, but those are really just for the contestants to interact and earn money for the end. In the first episode, the show assigned 3 of the 20 as "The Traitors". Each episode the group of 20 (or however many are left that episode) sit at a table and vote someone off (banish) that they think is one of the 3 traitors. Also each episode, the actual traitors get to "murder" someone. It can be someone they see as a threat, someone they think is on to them, any reason they want. So 2 people kicked off each episode.

Then I assume at the end, last man standing wins the $125,000. Or I guess if all the traitors are outed, the remaining people split the money?

Last edited:
Binged the second season of WL yesterday. Takes place in Sicily. It was a little darker then the first.

So the show Velma is really gaining a lot of buzz and not it is not positive so I decided to check it out. Very worthy of the 1 * rating, could be one of the worst cartoons I have ever seen. Avoid like the plague.

I watched about 5 minutes. Didn't care for it but did do some reading. Apparently there will be no Scooby-Doo and the character Shaggy is completely different. Those are two big negatives for me.

So the show Velma is really gaining a lot of buzz and not it is not positive so I decided to check it out. Very worthy of the 1 * rating, could be one of the worst cartoons I have ever seen. Avoid like the plague.
Even ignoring the woke aspects, it’s terrible. The tone is all over the place.