General NFL Chat

Now, we can expect a week of prime coverage on ESPN of the Cowboys' loss and discussion of whether or not Dak is an elite qb. More Cowboys coverage, less coverage of the winners.

Now, we can expect a week of prime coverage on ESPN of the Cowboys' loss and discussion of whether or not Dak is an elite qb. More Cowboys coverage, less coverage of the winners.
Skip Bayless is the worst, when it comes to the Cowboys, and Dak.

pretty incredible that having a dogcrap front office comes home to roost in the playoffs when your Defense & Special Teams does their job, yet you still lose. Jerry Jones brilliance.

Skip Bayless is the worst, when it comes to the Cowboys, and Dak.
I beg to differ. I cannot stand listening to Stephen A. Smith (in general) gloat about the Cowboys losing. I'm not even a Cowboys fan and he irritates me. First Take and Undisputed are hard to listen to. I flip it onto Good Morning Football.

A beautiful sight. ESPN analysts, per usual, are talking about the Dallas failures with little credit to the 49ers.

Brock Purdy has to be the most incredible story of the 2022 season, no matter what happens with the Niners
He played four years at the little school that he went to, correct ? That’s a lot of reps, though certainly at a slower pace. He doesn’t seem to get the least bit rattled.

He played four years at the little school that he went to, correct ? That’s a lot of reps, though certainly at a slower pace. He doesn’t seem to get the least bit rattled.
Helps when you have Trent Williams at LT. Jimmy G. who the 49ers can't get rid of is 35 - 16 as a starter for SF and took them to the SB and last year lost in the NFC title game. Plus the 49ers have the best defense in the league, so they are not going to have rely on Purdy to win games. Basically, he just has to manage the offense, will see if that is good enough against the Eagles.

Helps when you have Trent Williams at LT. Jimmy G. who the 49ers can't get rid of is 35 - 16 as a starter for SF and took them to the SB and last year lost in the NFC title game. Plus the 49ers have the best defense in the league, so they are not going to have rely on Purdy to win games. Basically, he just has to manage the offense, will see if that is good enough against the Eagles.
Purdy has 13 TD and 3 INT in his starts with a passer rating over 107.

He's doing something right.

Does anybody think that the Bills have peaked with this current group?

37-12 over the past 3 regular seasons, but still seem to be a distant 3rd behind the Chiefs and Bengals in the AFC with significant holes on both sides of the ball.

37-12 over the past 3 regular seasons, but still seem to be a distant 3rd behind the Chiefs and Bengals in the AFC with significant holes on both sides of the ball.
Yes they have. While the Bills were moving heaven & earth to jump over the Chiefs they didn't see the Bengals pulling up along side them and then blowing by them.

Even worse as a Bills fan the teams coach & GM made a strategic error back in 2020 when it emerged that Allen was an elite QB. Instead of building around Allen in the way the Eagles, Chiefs & Bengals have built around their QB's the Bills chose to follow the Carolina model with Cam Newton. This made sense to McDermitt and the GM (Brandon Bean) as they were Carolina alumni. They figured that Allen as a generational talent could lift mediocre offensive players allowing the Bills to focus all their resources on building a great defense.

So over the last few years the Bills committed the majority of their draft capital and FA signings to the defense. The only major offensive FA signing was Diggs at the start of the 2020 season. The end result is that other than Allen & Diggs the Bills offense is made up of average to below average talent. Their O line is particularly bad. On a snowy field where traction was hard to get Allen was pressured on HALF his drop backs yesterday. We Bill's fans have come to realize that Allen hides a lot of the offenses deficiencies.

As anyone could see from yesterday's game and last years loss to KC in the last 13 seconds the Bills have failed to build a great defense. Even worse they are squandering the talents of a truly elite level QB. Other then Diggs would any other Bills skill player start for Cincinnati, KC or Philadelphia?

What the Bills need to do is refocus like a laser on the offense. Fortunately they can right the ship fast and stem the decline because they have the most important piece in place - a QB. They will need to surround Allen with at least solid offensive talent. They should take a page from the Bengal's play book in how to build an offense around an elite QB.

This will require a change in mind set by the Bills defensive minded head coach & GM. If people hadn't noticed defensive minded head coaches are becoming extinct in the NFL as they can't seem to develop truly great offenses. When the game passes the greatest of the defensive minded head coaches by in Bill Belichick and yes it has passed him by, you know that offensive minded coaches are the way to go.

So lotr and the other Bills fans, does Allen miss Dabol ? This is college Allen for the last ten weeks or so
No. It really hasn't been college Allen if you look closely at the numbers and watch his play on a week to week basis. If I'm not mistaken PFF had Allen as the highest rated QB and his yardage & TD production exceeded last year - as did his TO's. But Allen was forced to play recklessly and push the ball downfield because the Bills have huge holes in their offensive line and skill players.

Other than Diggs what Buffalo skill player would start for the Eagles, 49's, Bengal's or Chiefs? For the Bills to win Allen needs to play like Superman at least at some point in a game. And 14 times this season he's done just that. But this is an unrealistic expectation and not sustainable in the playoffs.

Most Bills fans began to recognize as the season went on that Allen's play masked major deficiencies in the offense.

The problem with the Bills is that they made the wrong strategic choice in 2020 when they declined to surround their newly emergent elite QB with high end talent. I've harped on this point in other threads but it bears repeating - defensive minded coaches no long succeed as head coaches in the NFL. The numbers are stark and impossible to ignore.

Other than Diggs what Buffalo skill player would start for the Eagles, 49's, Bengal's or Chiefs?
Based on what I saw yesterday (and heard about post game crap he pulled) Diggs would not fit in the current Bengals locker room. Too selfish. The days of the Bengals taking chances on selfish players solely on their potential talent at a cheap price is in the past, hopefully for a long time!

Based on what I saw yesterday (and heard about post game crap he pulled) Diggs would not fit in the current Bengals locker room. Too selfish. The days of the Bengals taking chances on selfish players solely on their potential talent at a cheap price is in the past, hopefully for a long time!
There is truth to what you say. And the Bengal's have been very fortunate in the caliber of the guys they've assembled on their offense starting with their QB.

For context and as a Bills fan what I've noticed about Diggs is that he has an intense desire to win and that people often mistake that for selfishness. I would expect Diggs will privately apologia to Josh Allen as you would be hard pressed to find a QB who puts it on the line more every play then Allen does.

Might be wrong but I doubt any receiver would yell at Burrow on the sideline.

No. It really hasn't been college Allen if you look closely at the numbers and watch his play on a week to week basis. If I'm not mistaken PFF had Allen as the highest rated QB and his yardage & TD production exceeded last year - as did his TO's. But Allen was forced to play recklessly and push the ball downfield because the Bills have huge holes in their offensive line and skill players.

Other than Diggs what Buffalo skill player would start for the Eagles, 49's, Bengal's or Chiefs? For the Bills to win Allen needs to play like Superman at least at some point in a game. And 14 times this season he's done just that. But this is an unrealistic expectation and not sustainable in the playoffs.

Most Bills fans began to recognize as the season went on that Allen's play masked major deficiencies in the offense.

The problem with the Bills is that they made the wrong strategic choice in 2020 when they declined to surround their newly emergent elite QB with high end talent. I've harped on this point in other threads but it bears repeating - defensive minded coaches no long succeed as head coaches in the NFL. The numbers are stark and impossible to ignore.
Allen would start for the 49ers.

Peaked, possibly. But here's a solution. As we know the "window" for winning in the NFL is supposedly 3-5 years right? What's the issue with the short window....everyone wants to get paid. The Bills can keep their core together, but they'll have to let some guys walk, and that's where fans and players get upset, but that's the way the NFL salary cap works. No one managed the cap better than the Patriots. They seemingly rebuilt that team 3-4 times with Brady being the common denominator.
Now you need some luck along the way too. I mean heck, look at the Bengals. If Huntley doesn't fumble on the QB sneak, the Bengals may have been at home a week ago.

Allen would start for the 49ers.
My point was that Allen has the least amount of weapons and the worst O line compared to the Chiefs, 49's, Eagles and Bengals. Other then Diggs there isn't a Bills WR/TE/RB that would start on any of these teams. Allen does more with less. And while that will win you division titles and get you through the regular season with double digit wins it is not a recipe for deep runs in the playoffs

My point was that Allen has the least amount of weapons and the worst O line compared to the Chiefs, 49's, Eagles and Bengals. Other then Diggs there isn't a Bills WR/TE/RB that would start on any of these teams. Allen does more with less. And while that will win you division titles and get you through the regular season with double digit wins it is not a recipe for deep runs in the playoffs
Agreed.

I hope that Burrow understands that when his contract negotiations begin. Other guys have to get paid to in order to keep winning.

We will find out then just how important winning is to Burrow.