Most Interesting Major City in North America?

cjb5656

In your opinion, for any reason, what is the most interesting large city in the Canada/Mexico/USA land mass? NYC? LA? Chicago? SF? Vancouver? Toronto? Montreal? Mexico City? Somewhere else?

Visiting the different boroughs of NYC is cool. The big cities in Texas right now is an interesting blend of culture with all the people moving there

I've not been to Mexico. Would visit in a heartbeat if I knew Spanish

Savannah is the 188th largest US city. Is that "major?"

I've only been there once. NYC is larger than 2, 3, & 5 combined.

It's size, iconic nature, financial and cultural leadership, international importance, and multi-ethnic population easily make it number 1.

It's size, iconic nature, financial and cultural leadership, international importance, and multi-ethnic population easily make it number 1.
I was thinking very large cities, but I’m not going to stop anyone who likes a smaller metro like Savannah…which is definitely interesting in a similar way to Charleston, SC.

Gee, hadn't thought about it. So only Canada, US and Mexico....

Not sure I consider any of them more interesting than any other.... Maybe DC. There's a lot off the Mall that doesn't get explored and of course there's a lot ON the Mall and surrounds. NYC of course is more than Manhattan, easy to overlook that. I've only seen Manhattan.

My top three: DC, Vancouver, undecided.

Not sure I consider any of them more interesting than any other.... Maybe DC. There's a lot off the Mall that doesn't get explored and of course there's a lot ON the Mall and surrounds. NYC of course is more than Manhattan, easy to overlook that. I've only seen Manhattan.

D.C. is more interesting than many would think. Forty years ago it was a dump. Today it bustles and is tourist friendly. I head there for work 3-4 times a year and between meetings hit up the plethora of free museums.

Growing up we'd visit family in NYC and I still head there occasionally for work. I have pics standing atop the World Trade Center. For people that have never been it is tough to understand the sheer size and scope. When I tell Midwesterners to take Chicago's inner loop and multiple it by about 6 or 7 they look at me funny. For as big as NYC is I do not believe it even ranks top 20 in the world anymore.

I still think Chicago is a great city as long as you stay within the loop. The Shed Aquarium and Navy Pier are great. Downtown SF is still very neat but you get a couple blocks uptown and look out.

I thought Portland was overrated. Much like with SF you can tell there was a time when these places were really cool.

Yeah, I was looking through the thread about where someone would want to live/visit in the world…and there are so many amazing places, but I think we have a pretty amazing continent happening over here and got curious as to what cities float our boats.

In your opinion, for any reason, what is the most interesting large city in the Canada/Mexico/USA land mass? NYC? LA? Chicago? SF? Vancouver? Toronto? Montreal? Mexico City? Somewhere else?

There's 108,000 cities in the US alone so 188th is pretty near the top.

Given the OP didn't ask for "Major" but rather stated "large" and "in your opinion", Savanah certainly fulfills the requirements.

There's 108,000 cities in the US alone so 188th is pretty near the top.

Given the OP didn't ask for "Major" but rather stated "large" and "in your opinion", Savanah certainly fulfills the requirements.
That's EXACTLY the argument I looked up and was going to post. Then I realized who it was posted that silly comment and thought, nope, not worth the rabbit hole.

D.C. is more interesting than many would think. Forty years ago it was a dump. Today it bustles and is tourist friendly. I head there for work 3-4 times a year and between meetings hit up the plethora of free museums.
40 years ago? 40 years ago you were learning your first fart joke. I lived there. It was nice. Marion Barry was major. Other than the all cities have dumpy parts where real people can afford to live, the same problems as every other major and minor city and Savannah in the 80s and Marion Barry, it was nice. Hell, fricken Savannah is a murder capital get off the touristy bits. Signs all over back in the 80s. Don't got beyond this spot.

Last edited:
40 years ago? 40 years ago you were learning your first fart joke. I lived there. It was nice. Other than the all cities have dumpy parts where real people can afford to live that is.
I was onto boob jokes by then. It has changed drastically. I would suggest flying in and taking an uber and then walking everywhere. Flights to Reagan are cheap, hotels not so much.

Most interesting large city? Certain criteria I use for interesting knock east coast cities north of North Carolina out for me.
To be interesting I figure you have to be comfortable moving about the city without fear, feel welcomed to be there by the people, and have some unique functions to explore such as manufacturing, commerce, tourism and entertainment.

Been a few years since I've been there, but Toronto is a friendly city with a welcoming feel.

Nashville has the entertainment and friendly down pat, unless you dislike country music.

For me, many more large cities of the south, Charlotte, Tampa, Dallas all have a much more welcoming feel of friendliness/hospitality than basically any northern city. I've often wondered if it's the paths I choose though. I don't find large metropolitan areas interesting just because they are large, Philadelphia - Baltimore being near the top of my I want out of here list.

So I would have to say if Interesting means comfortable, entertaining and affordable- give me the east coast cities from Charlotte down to Savannah.

Jacksonville is the largest Anerican city by my criteria that is important, space over people.

I've been to the BIG 3 in the US and in terms of "interesting", I'd have to say NYC by several miles over Chicago and LA. Downtown LA reeks of piss and weed and the surrounding area struck me as extremely vapid.

I really enjoyed Boston and I'm having trouble thinking of another major city in the US other than the Big 3 that would compare. D.C? Atlanta?

I vacationed in Toronto when I was a kid and went back for a funeral a few years ago. Maybe they were bad days, but what I remember most was horrific traffic and extremely high cost of living.

Everyone I know who has been to San Francisco absolutely hated it.

There is so much, as in most, in a NYC that's out of reach for me economically, I'm eating a Nathan's hotdog then looking at the outside of a museum. A lot of the mainstream tourist stuff is not available to me. I can have a more interesting three days in Cleveland than I can in NYC. Plus I've seen NYC back when its cost more matched my budget. 80s-90s, it was easy to find a dive on Manhattan or Brooklyn off Washington Sq and stay for a weekend. Now much of even Brooklyn has gentrified.

The Canadian cities are easier to crash, they're set up for the low economic. Same Mexico. I would like to spend time in the non-coastal bigs like Ok City, KC, Nashvile, Memphis.... Omaha seems interesting. If by myself, I like to find a cheap crash, spend a weekend or week living like I live there. Get a book, find my daily cafe and chill. Do what I enjoy doing between sits. I'd like to hit Texas and back to the northern borders to do this. Maybe I'll find a place to retire.

I some U.S. cities more interesting because of my own curiosity and appreciation of how instrumental they were in our nation's development and history, as opposed to how nice the restaurants are (although that IS a bonus!)

NYC - actually, just Manhattan. Been there a few times, need to go there alone with a tour book and follow my own path thru there.

Boston - for Revolutionary War sites. Saw the Old North Church 5 or 6 years ago. Would like to spend a week and cover the Freedom Trail at my leisure. Maybe two weeks.

Others - Chicago. St Louis, New Orleans. San Antone. Maybe Seattle. Los Angeles and San Fran mainly because of the topography and fault lines.

The one I find most interesting? Columbus. :cool:

San Antonio and New Orleans are the two I find most interesting. Both have an unique and undeniable vibe when you visit. I was in San Antonio during Fiesta and had a blast. The food along the River Walk and down random alleys, and ten days of Tejano music and dancing in the streets, was a scene I'll never forget.

I've been to New Orleans mid summer. I do not have a strong desire to visit during Mardi Gras but I would like to go back during the Jazz Festival and/or during the Carnival Season before Mardi Gras.

Last edited:
Pre bnb, we stayed in a house in the garden district. Owners of a nearby hostel had bought it to renovate. They were out of hostel rooms so gave us the key to the house. Had it all to ourselves and went to the hostel for the included breakfast. $15 a day as I recall. Breakfast was full-on, served on fine china and crystal glasses. A lucky break. Anyhow, I much preferred that to previous stays near the Bourbon St district.

Someday, San Antonio but want to make that part of a full on Texas visit. Hopefully 3 weeks to a month, maybe with a side trip up to Oklahoma. Only been to Tulsa up there.

Santa Fe is probably the most notable answer that hasn't been mentioned yet.

Very interesting plaza area in the center of town and lots of adobe houses all over.

Surprisingly dumpy/slummy in lots of parts though. A reminder that New Mexico as a whole is a pretty poor state.

Santa Fe is probably the most notable answer that hasn't been mentioned yet.

Very interesting plaza area in the center of town and lots of adobe houses all over.

Surprisingly dumpy/slummy in lots of parts though. A reminder that New Mexico as a whole is a pretty poor state.
Yes. Love the New Mexico mountains too.

I’m surprised Montreal was not mentioned. Not as charming as smaller Quebec City, but has that Euro/French vibe happening.

Yes. Love the New Mexico mountains too.

I’m surprised Montreal was not mentioned. Not as charming as smaller Quebec City, but has that Euro/French vibe happening.
I chose Vancouver. Not by much. It's closer to a stretch of coast line and parks I'd like to see. Of Montreal, Quebec, Ottawa, all three very close and very distinct, Ottawa was my favorite. I still hope for a Winter visit along that stretch.

I chose Vancouver. Not by much. It's closer to a stretch of coast line and parks I'd like to see. Of Montreal, Quebec, Ottawa, all three very close and very distinct, Ottawa was my favorite. I still hope for a Winter visit along that stretch.
Have a buddy who works for Owens Illinois from Ottawa and he always talks about this. Looks fun.

We're partial to Los Angeles. World class food and entertainment. From just about anywhere LA it's 30 minutes or so to the beaches, the mountains, and the desert. Good looking people of all makes and models. The weather. Well behaved dogs everywhere! Stuff like that.

I actually favor San Francisco. It really is an amazing place. The natural beauty of the setting, the whole Bay Area, is incredible. It’s a real shame what the city’s become due to the misguided politics.

Have a buddy who works for Owens Illinois from Ottawa and he always talks about this. Looks fun.
We hit a few parties along the canal. Had tea with the Governess General (Queen's rep). It was the first opening of their terrfic Museum of Civilization, good timing on our part. Lots of parades, fire works. Saw Mikhail Gorbachev.

lol, it was Canada Days, we were fortunate on the timing, having no idea even why we were visiting Ottawa except it was between where we were and where we were headed to go camping. Got lucky and found a cheap B&B near the ByWard Market. Ottaw is like all the good parts of DC without the hastles. All museums, British looking buildings, great cafes.. Hull, across the river where the new museum is was just a few parks, some sleazy neighborhoods and strip bars. Looks all built up now.