Cleveland Guardians

I like some of the updates that are now being shown to the ball park. Getting rid of the shipping containers in right field and creating another patio like area is huge:

1673618275641.png

Also getting rid of the terrace club and creating a cooler space is a nice adjustment to the changing needs of a MLB ballpark in a small market:
1673618409288.png

Also installing a beer garden and replacing some sections in the upper deck in left field. Great views of the CLE skyline here too:

1673618974754.png

What will the capacity be?
Basically the same, just a lot more common standing room areas. Will be a great addition for those mid week dates against middling teams, almost like a neighborhood bar for the folks living in downtown or just outside like Ohio City. Marketing people are telling me they will be selling books of low cost tickets to these areas with 1st beer built into the price like the district tickets currently being sold. Blossom also does this for the orchetra with lawn seats; the team gets the $s upfront and then makes up for the lower ticket cost with the per cap, which is industry jargon for how much each person spends inside the ball park. Still waiting for a mid market team to install a Blossom like lawn area in the outfield where folks can put down a blanket and just mill around and watch a game. Old timers might not like it but then again old timers complained in the 50s when folks were no longer dressing up for a game in a suit. Times change and I don't care how a game is viewed as long as it produces the revenue to allow the product on the field to be solid.

Last edited:
I think Petco Park in San Diego has a lawn out in center field, but not sure how it operates or what the cost is to be out there.

I mostly liked Progressive Field when I visited in 2021, but the upper deck in right field was kind of dated/unsightly, so they’re smart to totally change that area up.

It’s true, it’s true. Trust me …

I like the changes to the ballpark, but I'm more interested to see how the infusion of money of the new minority owner will be used...and if they truly are transitioning him to majority owner over a period of time. He seems very much into sports team ownership, so hopefully that translates into higher payrolls.

Starting the movement now......

Sign Bauer to a 1 year deal right now! What better place to "rehabilitate" his character than the place that put him on the map with a staff and fanbase he's familiar with....Makes too much sense, veterans min salary roughly $700k while LA pays him $30m this year.

Or....risk him signing with his buddy Clevinger in Chi-town.

Starting the movement now......

Sign Bauer to a 1 year deal right now! What better place to "rehabilitate" his character than the place that put him on the map with a staff and fanbase he's familiar with....Makes too much sense, veterans min salary roughly $700k while LA pays him $30m this year.

Or....risk him signing with his buddy Clevinger in Chi-town.
I think several people agree with you. I'd like him for my Reds too.

But you aren't first - go back one page in this thread, lots of guys suggesting this with good jokes about how Bauer "punishes" hitters, "high hard ones" and more.

I would for sure sign Bauer if I was running the Guardians. They were just fine with him when they had him, until they had to pay him. Bring him back and make a run at the World Series.

Does the Mike Clevinger news surprise anyone? There have been rumours of this stuff going on since he played in Cleveland and he always seemed like a white trash dirtbag.

Some I know in the business of sports say the CLE baseball team has a very long history of sweeping players woman "issues" under the carpet, very Catholic church like actually. Rick Manning, Omar Vizquel, Mickey Calloway, etc... Not sure this is the smart signing at this time with a bunch of younger guys that are impressionable...

Sad news... John Adams has died. Bang the drum for John. RIP.

"As we talked, we decided to figure out how many games Adams had attended. The Guardians said it was about 3,500. We spent time on this quest. With the help of old schedules and a calculator, we figured it was between 3,840 and 3,900 games."

Last edited:
re John Adams…to be admired? A troubled soul? I recall reading that he’d gotten divorced…
Well if most of us went to 3900 ball games, and missed a bunch of family time and family functions, we might be divorced also. I guess we can admire his commitment and question his judgment/priorities. RIP

Sad news... John Adams has died. Bang the drum for John. RIP.

"As we talked, we decided to figure out how many games Adams had attended. The Guardians said it was about 3,500. We spent time on this quest. With the help of old schedules and a calculator, we figured it was between 3,840 and 3,900 games."

Did most Indians fans like the dude pounding the drum at the ballpark during games?

The old stadium was a dump but I always remembered walking up the ramp and getting that first look of the field...remembered Rocco Scotti and his rendition of the national anthem...and I remembered banging the seats on each side of me in unison with John Adams.

Did most Indians fans like the dude pounding the drum at the ballpark during games?
In the old place he had plenty of room around him so no big deal, in Jacobs/Progressive Field there were poor souls who had to sit next to him that maybe got annoyed but it was part of CLE baseball for decades so it truly was part of the game. A couple John Adams facts:
  • He started this beat to parrot the sound of fans at old Muni stadium banging the wooden seats during a rally. He sat in the bleachers so there were no seat backs; he got the drum and started it up.
  • Many CLE players really loved it and encouraged him to keep a nice steady beat. If you noticed he always stopped right as the pitcher started his move to home some batters would rock to the steady beat and once the beat stopped they would keep going and time the pitch, also runners on base would use it to help time their run to steal a base. On the radio you could really hear this play out: Hamilton would pause from commentary, the drum would then stop, there would be a second or so of silence and then a crack of the bat and if it was well hit a roar from the crowd.
Safe travels John.