Desktop Computer

rghrider98

Any recommendations on a brand/type/etc...?

Looking to purchase something nice to have for at least next 5 years.

Won't be getting Apple. Wife cannot use it.

Any recommendations on a brand/type/etc...?

Looking to purchase something nice to have for at least next 5 years.

Won't be getting Apple. Wife cannot use it.
I'm pretty pleased with my HP. However, it's over 8 years old so who knows what that brand is like today? I have had good success with consumer ratings on technology when contemplating a purchase.

I wish Toshiba still made laptops. I'd got that recommendation from Christian missionaries (Wycliffe) working in harsh environments. Worked out well. Wonder what they use now?

Last edited:
Have you considered a custom PC by a local expert? I'm using a 6 year-old tower, my guy built it for long-term us and storage capacity, rather than speed or game playing. I've never had a lick of trouble with it. Suits me perfectly, very consistent.

Have you considered a custom PC by a local expert? I'm using a 6 year-old tower, my guy built it for long-term us and storage capacity, rather than speed or game playing. I've never had a lick of trouble with it. Suits me perfectly, very consistent.
I agree. I've had good luck doing the same. You'll get a machine with the individual pieces that are best for your needs. And local, personalized service too.

I haven't ever even thought of that. I'm northeast Ohio. Any recommendations?

I just did a google search and it's all commercial companies.

We had to replace our 10 year old about 3 months ago, my wife said we should just get a laptop, I wanted a desktop. My son is a IT guy, and he said go with the HP. It is basically a screen and a wireless keyboard...No tower or anything, he said it has a huge brain and is 100x smarter than our last computer...I just can't find where the brain is?

I've had good experiences with Dell desktops; I have 2, both are described as "All-in-One", i.e. there is no tower or stack, just the monitor/screen, and with wireless keyboard and mouse. Both have 27" HD screens. One was purchased in 2014, still operates just fine, second one was purchased in January 2022 (Dell Inspiron 7700, cost was just over $1,000).

I've had good experiences with Dell desktops; I have 2, both are described as "All-in-One", i.e. there is no tower or stack, just the monitor/screen, and with wireless keyboard and mouse. Both have 27" HD screens. One was purchased in 2014, still operates just fine, second one was purchased in January 2022 (Dell Inspiron 7700, cost was just over $1,000).
Ditto. Have had several Dell desktops as the main home PC for 20+ years, never had any complaints with the hardware.

How about just buying a monitor/mouse/keyboard and plug and playing with your laptop? Unless you're gone a lot and the old lady needs to use it I think that's the better idea.

I bought a big widescreen monitor, this one (https://www.bestbuy.com/site/lg-29-...dmi-displayport-black/6506319.p?skuId=6506319) and just plug my laptop in and use a bluetooth mouse and keyboard. That monitor goes on sale often, I think I got it at 189.99. It's great. Love being able to have two windows open at the same time. Like having two monitors but without all the space needed and price of buying two.

I also can't stand having two different computers. I've found a lot less headaches just having everything set up on one device.

My last two desktops have been Macs. Been happy with both of them. I have an HP laptop to keep up with both operating systems.

no i meant the model 100 portable. it was a "laptop"

Right, as I said, a "trash 80." But that doesn't have an internal 20Meg hard drive as you described. It used a cassette tape to load Microsoft Basic programs with some external option with a few hundred K of memory. Nor can it have 640k RAM as EHS 2001's described, so I opened the possibility you both might have been thinking of the 1000 desktop.

Right, as I said, a "trash 80." But that doesn't have an internal 20Meg hard drive as you described. It used a cassette tape to load Microsoft Basic programs with some external option with a few hundred K of memory. Nor can it have 640k RAM as EHS 2001's described, so I opened the possibility you both might have been thinking of the 1000 desktop.
The first "PC" I saw in person was something like that - 1981 or so? Our pastor ad bought his teenage sons a Radio Shack computer that used a cassette player. I remember going over there one day and watching them, thought it was very cool.

My first one was an Atari 400 with the infamous membrane keyboard. It also used a cassette player and either 8k or 16k RAM. 1981 or 1982.

Built my first using an 8086, wirewrapped the terminals. We had written a "monitor" program, essentially an operating system, in class and modified it to our individual uses. This was, 78, 79? One kid had gotten hold of a phoneme chip some maker had donated, made a board and connected it to his homemade and was ordering pizzas. Though we couldn't get them to deliver, they thought it a joke. Our program was state-of-the-art, doing what was still on the benches at some of the early home market computer makers. CPU sharing, parellel and pipelining to increase MIPs, word recognition (though VERY slow),...