OVAC Tournament

Wish they wouldn’t televise the finals live, kills the attendance…first time back in a long time last year and seemed more like a Thurs night than Sat night…

Starts Thursday. I know it's not the toughest tournament, but the finals is always a very good watch. It's a very big deal for wrestlers in the valley to win this tournament.
I can't think of too many conference tournaments in the country that are tougher. Often you'll see a kid place lower at OVAC than he does at State. You basically have all of the biggest and best schools in the state of WV along with a lot of quality Ohio wrestlers spanning all 3 divisions. I believe 42 teams in total this year. It's a really enjoyable tournament to attend at a very nice facility.

I can't think of too many conference tournaments in the country that are tougher. Often you'll see a kid place lower at OVAC than he does at State. You basically have all of the biggest and best schools in the state of WV along with a lot of quality Ohio wrestlers spanning all 3 divisions. I believe 42 teams in total this year. It's a really enjoyable tournament to attend at a very nice facility.
Definitely the case for the WV wrestlers. Going to be some great matches come Saturday night. I think University wins it . But Parkersburg South, Wheeling Park, and Barnesville could end up winning it as well.

Thanks, Bigbeeg

We are using trackwrestling this year, but i will also be adding match ups and more on my frontpage.
Who's your pick to win the team title? I am looking forward to seeing Dom Parker and Brock Kehler. Disappointed in no Gage Wright. Brody and Dakota will be the match of the tournament. I am guessing Brody is a relative of Reno? Grandson maybe?

I think it is University tournament to lose. With that being said Wheeling Park & Parkersburg South have enough firepower to win also.

Teams like Barnesville, Indian Creek, Oak Glen, and Martins Ferry will have to be flawless and get some help to win it all

Indian Creek, Oak Glen & Beaver Local AAAA
Barnesville & Martins Ferry for AAA
Cameron and Southern Local maybe be a good team race as well for A/AA

For sure…those 2 are the head of that class imo…also interested to see how 215 shakes, pulling for Brothers…
I think Kehler takes out both Brothers and Lucas. It will definitely be one of the better finals matches whomever is in it.
I think it is University tournament to lose. With that being said Wheeling Park & Parkersburg South have enough firepower to win also.

Teams like Barnesville, Indian Creek, Oak Glen, and Martins Ferry will have to be flawless and get some help to win it all

Indian Creek, Oak Glen & Beaver Local AAAA
Barnesville & Martins Ferry for AAA
Cameron and Southern Local maybe be a good team race as well for A/AA
I think it's a toss up now between Park, University, and South. University losing a number one seed has now leveled the playing field.

Going to be some great matches tomorrow. Top four teams are from WV. Idk if that's ever happened going into day 3? WV wrestling hasn't fallen off over the years, they may be getting better. I don't think I can say the same about the Ohio Valley side?

The Ohio side in the OVAC is not very strong right now. It's that simple. I don't think it's all of the sudden the WV side has improved, but you do have Parkersburg South added to the conference on the WV side - that is a SIGNIFICANT addition.

Parkersburg South is winning by 20+ points and has three more placers than any team, with the conference's best wrestler not in the lineup (Gage Wright).

PK South 156 (5 semis, 6 con quarters)
University 133 (7, 1)
Wheeling Park 130 (6, 2)
John Marshall 117 (3, 3)
Barnesville 116.5 (6, 1)
Steubenville (3, 4)
Beaver Local 99.5 (2, 3)
Oak Glen 97.5 (4, 3)
Indian Creek 96.5 (3, 3)
Martins Ferry 93.5 (3, 2)

The lower half semis at 215 and 285 are the best semis (Brothers/Kehler, Llewelyn/Thomas)

Going to be some great matches tomorrow. Top four teams are from WV. Idk if that's ever happened going into day 3? WV wrestling hasn't fallen off over the years, they may be getting better. I don't think I can say the same about the Ohio Valley side?
The WV schools are very large. Much bigger than most of the Ohio schools in the OVAC. The Ohio side has great wrestlers, just don't have the teams to compete with the much larger schools most of the time.

The only Ohio team in the top 5 has an enrollment of probably a little over 350 students. Parkersburg South had over 1500 students the last time that I checked.

Ovac is a great tournament with good kids in the 1/4s on are good matches. The only bad thing. They drag this out for way way to long. Stating wrestling at 12p on Friday is nuts. Then they recognize everybody for past achievements way too much recognition goes in the tournament. Just wrestle. 42 teams 8 mats and takes 2.5 days. Way way to long.

Ovac is a great tournament with good kids in the 1/4s on are good matches. The only bad thing. They drag this out for way way to long. Stating wrestling at 12p on Friday is nuts. Then they recognize everybody for past achievements way too much recognition goes in the tournament. Just wrestle. 42 teams 8 mats and takes 2.5 days. Way way to long.
Recognizing the achievements of previous wrestlers and recognition for referees, coaches and others who've devoted their lives to this sport is exactly what makes wrestling great. It's already a sport without a ton of glory, it's nice to be recognized and remembered.

I think it's one of the reasons the OVAC tournament is still thriving after all these years.

The WV schools are very large. Much bigger than most of the Ohio schools in the OVAC. The Ohio side has great wrestlers, just don't have the teams to compete with the much larger schools most of the ti

The WV schools are very large. Much bigger than most of the Ohio schools in the OVAC. The Ohio side has great wrestlers, just don't have the teams to compete with the much larger schools most of the time.

The Ohio side in the OVAC is not very strong right now. It's that simple. I don't think it's all of the sudden the WV side has improved, but you do have Parkersburg South added to the conference on the WV side - that is a
Forgive all the quotes. I don't have a clue on how to get rid of them? I want to give a huge shout out to Sean Smith on the finals commentary. Scott Nolte is also very good. Not easy to call a wrestling match, especially if you only do it a couple times a year. Great Job!

Recognizing the achievements of previous wrestlers and recognition for referees, coaches and others who've devoted their lives to this sport is exactly what makes wrestling great. It's already a sport without a ton of glory, it's nice to be recognized and remembered.

I think it's one of the reasons the OVAC tournament is still thriving after all these years.
Its a very special tournament. Not the toughest, but so important to everyone in the Ohio Valley. We used to stay at the McClure House back in the day. Parents give you 25 bucks for the weekend, which most was spent at the 7 Eleven. The kids will.always have good memories from competing there. I believe I was the only number 1 seed to lose in the quarter finals back in 88. Still had a wonderful time.

Last edited: