Ohio Heritage Conference 2023

This!!! I would like to point out I did not exclude WL-S like Knightsfan, :ROFLMAO:

Interesting that Toby could not transfer the WL-S success to the Bellefontaine world.
Probably would have been ok if he wasn’t getting drunk on the Radio. He had decent records, and the taken to had gotten a lot better lately.

The kids over in Mercer County aren't any stronger, faster, or more athletic than the kids in Champaign, Clark, Greene, or Madison Counties. What's the difference (again, in my opinion)? Those kids are harder workers and more disciplined. They don't care about individual success as much as winning their assigned individual battle to help the team. Their parents and communities are better/bigger supporters. They aren't calling coaches to complain about playing time, or questioning play calling Saturday morning that occurred on Friday night. They have a system in place, and everyone associated with those schools (parents, players, fans) believe in it whole heartedly.

The MAC is good at every sport. It's not just about being a "football community," those communities are better than other small communities at almost all sports (and academics). Go watch a few OHC boys basketball games, then go watch a few MAC games. Better yet, go watch some OHC GIRLS basketball games and then go watch the MAC girls. It almost looks like JV vs. Varsity as far as size goes. I'm sure hard work is a big part of it, and if you look at the state test scores of those schools, almost all are way up there, so they clearly have some of those intangibles you are talking about. But for whatever reason, there are some physical differences between the kids in Mercer County and those in Champaign County that cannot be solely contributed to hard work.

Mechanicsburg is definitely a football community. If you are going to say they aren't because they've had more success in bowling, then you'd have to call Minster a cross country community, Coldwater a baseball community, and St. Henry a volleyball community.

The MAC is good at every sport. It's not just about being a "football community," those communities are better than other small communities at almost all sports (and academics). Go watch a few OHC boys basketball games, then go watch a few MAC games. Better yet, go watch some OHC GIRLS basketball games and then go watch the MAC girls. It almost looks like JV vs. Varsity as far as size goes. I'm sure hard work is a big part of it, and if you look at the state test scores of those schools, almost all are way up there, so they clearly have some of those intangibles you are talking about. But for whatever reason, there are some physical differences between the kids in Mercer County and those in Champaign County that cannot be solely contributed to hard work.

Mechanicsburg is definitely a football community. If you are going to say they aren't because they've had more success in bowling, then you'd have to call Minster a cross country community, Coldwater a baseball community, and St. Henry a volleyball community.
Family, Faith, and Community. 3 things stressed in that area!

Was he an assistant or coordinator previously?
it said he was an assistant at Northwestern last year, as well as at West Jefferson before. Northwestern is going outside the box with this hire. however he seems to be a football guy from a football community, that has produced plenty of other successful head coaches. the program needs energy and maybe a young coach who can relate to the kids and has been apart of a winning culture is the way to go.

West Jefferson is turning into the cradle of coaches in Ohio HS football.

WJ alumni who are current head coaches:

* Dan McSurley - Clinton Massie, 3 State Titles over 25+ years
* Logan Stepp, 2014 WJ grad - Westfall, 1 season
* Shane Cahill, 2009 WJ grad - currently at Madison Plains and was at St Paris Graham
* Lance Lambert, 2018? WJ grad - Just hired at Springfield Northeastern
* Steve Dalton, 2004 WJ grad - just resign after a 5 year run at Amanda Clearcreek

I think a lot of credit has to go to current WJ Head Coach Buescher. He’s been at WJ for 20 years and always seems to have one or more former WJ guys on the coaching staff. Friday Night football is special, especially at a place like WJ. Congrats to these guys wanting to help kids.

WJ alumni who are current head coaches:

* Shane Cahill, 2009 WJ grad - currently at Madison Plains and was at St Paris Graham
* Lance Lambert, 2018? WJ grad - Just hired at Springfield Northeastern
* Steve Dalton, 2004 WJ grad - just resign after a 5 year run at Amanda Clearcreek

I think a lot of credit has to go to current WJ Head Coach Buescher. He’s been at WJ for 20 years and always seems to have one or more former WJ guys on the coaching staff. Friday Night football is special, especially at a place like WJ. Congrats to these guys wanting to help kids.
Lambert I believe is at Northwestern, not Northeastern. Wrong direction! LOL. Either way. Nice to see so many from one school have the passion to pass along the knowledge.

I missed a former WJ grad who is a current head coach, T.J. Langermeier is at Zanesvilles. Here is the list of WJ grads who are or recently have been head coaches:

* Lance Lambert, 2018? WJ grad - Just hired at Springfield Northwestern
* T.J. Langermeier, 2011 WJ grad - Zanesville, 1 season

Last edited:
Northeastern had a magical season in ‘22. will they be a one-and-done, or will they be able to replicate the success?

they took it to some of the traditional OHC powers this year. were they that good, or were Burg/West Jeff just down? or a combination of both?

I missed a former WJ grad who is a current head coach, T.J. Langermeier is at Zanesvilles. Here is the list of WJ grads who are or recently have been head coaches:

* Lance Lambert, 2018? WJ grad - Just hired at Springfield Northwestern
* T.J. Langermeier, 2011 WJ grad - Zanesville, 1 season
That's a great list and I think Lambert has a tough row to hoe in the NW district. I like he's a youngster and fear for him because he is a youngster. To me, his raising in the WJ system is a winning attitude that any school would welcome but in the NW district, the parents are not keen to the ebb and flow of talent and this, will be his greatest challenge. Amazingly, for a district that has had zero to limited success, they expect a national title. Good luck Coach Lambert, you'll need it.

i see the SEC has considered a “Pod” scheduling model, what if the OHC did that?

“Mad River” Pod
Greenon
Catholic Central
Southeastern
Northeastern

“Kenton Trace” Pod
Greeneview
Cedarville
West Jefferson
Madison Plains

“North” Pod (any better ideas?)
Triad
Mechanicsburg
West Liberty Salem
Fairbanks

each team would play the other 3 teams in its pod, and then 2 each from the other 2 pods. then it would rotate yearly. this would give each school the opportunity to travel to the other once every 4 years while evening out travel and competitiveness. it would also open up week 3 for teams to schedule a closer opponents.

ex. for Greenon:
@Southeastern
Catholic Central
@ Northeastern
Cedarville
@Greeneview
Fairbanks
@ West Liberty Salem

ex. for Greeneview
@Cedarville
Madison Plains
@ West Jefferson
Greenon
@Catholic Central
Mechanicsburg
@Triad

Last edited:
Northeastern had a magical season in ‘22. will they be a one-and-done, or will they be able to replicate the success?

they took it to some of the traditional OHC powers this year. were they that good, or were Burg/West Jeff just down? or a combination of both?
I doubt one and done. And I feel it was a combination of both. Watching them play, they were pretty good. They have some pretty good back-ups waiting. We shall see how well they play.

Greeneview will travel to play Dayton Northridge week 1 next year. great move for the rams as Northridge should win 6 games or so as a D4 school. plenty of harbin points.

what shocks me is they will play this game on the road. 6 total away games for Greeneview next season.

West Jefferson
08/18 A Columbus Africentric
08/25 H Bainbridge Paint Valley
09/01 A London Madison-Plains
09/08 H Jamestown Greeneview
09/15 A South Charleston Southeastern
09/22 H Mechanicsburg
09/29 H West Liberty-Salem
10/06 A North Lewisburg Triad
10/13 H Milford Center Fairbanks
10/20 A Springfield Northeastern

West Jefferson
08/18 A Columbus Africentric
08/25 H Bainbridge Paint Valley
09/01 A London Madison-Plains
09/08 H Jamestown Greeneview
09/15 A South Charleston Southeastern
09/22 H Mechanicsburg
09/29 H West Liberty-Salem
10/06 A North Lewisburg Triad
10/13 H Milford Center Fairbanks
10/20 A Springfield Northeastern
so who are the teams to watch in your league this coming season?

so who are the teams to watch in your league this coming season?
West Jeff, Greeneview, Mechanicsburg, West Liberty Salem (the usual suspects)

Cedarville should be a team to watch.

Northeastern is a question mark. could be pretty good, could disappoint.

Last edited:
West Jeff, Greeneview, Mechanicsburg, West Liberty Salem (the usual suspects)

Cedarville should be a team to watch.

Northeastern is a question mark. coukd be pretty good, could disappoint.
has the Burg found a second game yet..... i would think them playing New Bremen would be a perfect game for both programs... also i would think their would be a relationship between BOTH coaches....

has the Burg found a second game yet..... i would think them playing New Bremen would be a perfect game for both programs... also i would think their would be a relationship between BOTH coaches....
they have not.. but i expect them to agree to a contract with New Bremen at some point.

Catholic Central will Host Cincinnati North College Hill week 1. this is a great game for both programs and i expect to be competitive.

The new HC has not been announced publicly, but it’s a done deal. Probably waiting on BOE approval.

It will be their third hire of a coach with no head coaching experience. That being said, every head coach in America had no head coaching experience until someone took a chance on them.

He has the knowledge and experience to be a very good HC, not to mention a couple assistants he will be bringing in with him who are also excellent coaches.

Don’t ask because I am not going to say who it is out of respect for the new coach, Super and AD.

Awsom will probably get 20-25 carries a game out of the WingT Set!!

they have not.. but i expect them to agree to a contract with New Bremen at some point.
So Minster started a agreement last season with Graham , second game of the year..... heard the last few days, graham wants out of the agreement, they are/were scheduled to come to Minster next season...... so the heck with the Cards and the Burg scheduling, i would love to see the Cats and the Burg to schedule some games together...

So Minster started a agreement last season with Graham , second game of the year..... heard the last few days, graham wants out of the agreement, they are/were scheduled to come to Minster next season...... so the heck with the Cards and the Burg scheduling, i would love to see the Cats and the Burg to schedule some games together...
it was only a 2 year agreement. i’d bet on them finishing out the 2 years contract, wouldn’t do either side any good to drop the game this late.

per arbiter, Graham and Mechanicsburg will play a 2 year, home and home series in 2024 and 2025.

prediction: Mechanicsburg agrees to travel to New Bremen in week 2 of 2023. 1 year contract.

in 2025/2026, West Jeff will play a non-league game against Amanda Clearcreek.

in 2025/2026, Madison Plains will play a non-league game against Grove City Christian.

these are just some future, far out matchups i found while looking around arbiter.