Federal League Football 2023

FYI
The following records have been logged since McKinley, Fitch and Boardman joined the FL in 2004
View attachment 38055
Your information on Lake is incorrect....Lake has played 10 games a year since 2004...that is 19 years...if I am reading your info correctly that would be 190 games regular season not 150 and 19 playoff games...I assume you are aware of our information but if not up to date can be found here.. https://bluestreaksfootball.com/

Your information on Lake is incorrect....Lake has played 10 games a year since 2004...that is 19 years...if I am reading your info correctly that would be 190 games regular season not 150 and 19 playoff games...I assume you are aware of our information but if not up to date can be found here.. https://bluestreaksfootball.com/
Correct - a formula in my spread sheet was missing for the playoff games for Lake, correction made.

Correct - a formula in my spread sheet was missing for the playoff games for Lake, correction made.
I also made a mistake...forgot 2 games played in 2020 was playoffs and had 8 regular season games, then in 2021 we cancelled the Maple Hts game so had 9 regular season and 1 playoff, so 187 regular games and 19 playoff games...what I find interesting is with all the fluctuations of schedules in 19 years Perry and Lake played the same amount of games and Hoover was 3 back

I also made a mistake...forgot 2 games played in 2020 was playoffs and had 8 regular season games, then in 2021 we cancelled the Maple Hts game so had 9 regular season and 1 playoff, so 187 regular games and 19 playoff games...what I find interesting is with all the fluctuations of schedules in 19 years Perry and Lake played the same amount of games and Hoover was 3 back
The difference is in the playoff games...Perry 20, Lake 19, Hoover 16.

The difference is in the playoff games...Perry 20, Lake 19, Hoover 16.
Oh I saw the difference..lol....my point is if we had beaten the Panthers in 2016 in the playoffs...we would be way ahead of them in wins.....lol....am pretty sure Big Ed, The Butler, and the Poet saw that...lol

Ok boys lets take the way back clock and be realistic....
1990..Green out of conference....Timken, Alliance, Wooster, New Philly...league
1991 Kenmore, Toledo St John's..out of conference....Alliance , Wooster, New Philly, Timken..league
1992 Lorain Southview, Ravenna...out of conference....Alliance, Wooster, Timken, New Philly...league
1993 Ellet, Ravenna...out of conference...Alliance, Wooster, Timken, New Philly...league
1994 Ellet, Ravenna...out of conference....Alliance, Wooster, Timken, New Philly...league
1995 Ellet, East, Ravenna...out of conference....Alliance, Wooster, New Philly....league
1996 Ellet, East, Stow...out of conference....Alliance, New Philly, Wooster...league
1997.Ellet, Garfield, Parma Normandy...out of conference....Alliance, New Philly, Wooster...league
1998 Ellet, New Philly Ravenna, Coventry....out of conference....Wooster, Alliance...league
1999 Ellet, New Philly, Ravenna, Dover...out of conference....Wooster, Alliance....league
2000 Ellet, Firestone, Kenston, Dover.....out of conference....Wooster, Alliance..league
2001 Buchtel, Firestone, Kenston, Dover...out of conference....Wooster, Alliance...league

Now looking at the above.....tell me...was there a tough schedule in the 90's? Jeff Durbin had total control of making the schedule....this is a quote.."I scheduled Toledo St John's thinking we would need to beat them to get in the playoffs". I am showing 12 years...outright league champs 91,..... 93, 94, 98 co-champs...then have been co-champs just this year....Durbin controlled the schedule up to 2014. For those of you that think we should play Massillon...what is our record from 2004 to 2022 vs McKinley (4-15) and then compare Massillon's record against McK from the same time frame.

1991 519 boys in the top 3 grades....2022 419 boys in the top three grades.

This info will remind you that the 90's were fun...but we played Timken, New Philly, Wooster, and Alliance...they were powerful. Lifetime against Alliance 15-7..(Durbin was 10-3), Timken 9-0 (Durbin was 7-0), New Philly 12-0 (Durbin was 10-0), Wooster 16-1(Durbin was 15-0)....equals for Durbin 41-3

Out of Conference Schedule from 1990 thru 2001 we were 29-4...who was tough that we played? (Record against City Series was 12-2, lost to Ellet in 93 and Buchtel in 2001...Lost to Dover in 99 and to Kenston in 2000)

Durbin's record against Alliance, Timken, New Philly, Wooster and the out of conference of 1990 -2001 is 70-7...his total record 163-99...so the other time frames and games not posted he was 93-92...interesting is it not

Shall I continue?
Durbin had some really nice teams in the late 80’s

Durbin had some really nice teams in the late 80’s
The late 80's Durbin was D coordinator. Durbin's first year was 1990...the 90's were amazing to watch. We were good...but what helped back then was play an easy team then a hard team. One of the reasons we always came down and scrimmaged Steubenville..(another reason Durbin and Reno coached together at Akron).. we always had an idea on how good we would be by how well we scrimmaged against the Big Red.

The sad thing is that only one of their three playoff wins was against a team with a winning record, Cuyahoga Falls in 2001.

Jackson owns Green, Lake and GlenOak in head-to-head games, but the postseason has not been kind to the Polar Bears.
I was at that game! Very exciting.

Jackson has been snakebitten in the playoffs from their first appearance. Bizarre calls, injuries, last-minute losses, impossible draws, you name it and it's happened. The Bears are always good but desperately in need of a banner win, preferably post-season.

I was at that game! Very exciting.

Jackson has been snakebitten in the playoffs from their first appearance. Bizarre calls, injuries, last-minute losses, impossible draws, you name it and it's happened. The Bears are always good but desperately in need of a banner win, preferably post-season.
I really thought they’d win at McKinley in the second round last year.

The sad thing is that only one of their three playoff wins was against a team with a winning record, Cuyahoga Falls in 2001.

Jackson owns Green, Lake and GlenOak in head-to-head games, but the postseason has not been kind to the Polar Bears.
I know the time frame you are using is probably limited but Jackson has 18 wins to Lake's 17 wins in total games played...lol

Last edited:
I really thought they’d win at McKinley in the second round last year.
That was possibly the worst game in Jackson program history. Until then they'd put up a pretty good fight even in losing efforts. While Hoover will always be the big game, this year they need to have one focus only in the offseason: beat McKinley. It's become one of those psychological things.

I know your the time frame you are using is probably limited but Jackson has 18 wins to Lake's 17 wins in total games played...lol
Yeah, I did not know it was so close. I've been following high school football since I was in 4th grade 2011, when I would get up at 6AM on Saturday mornings after a road game to check the scores and game recaps on FridayNightOhio.com. Then in the winter I would record the Friday basketball games on the Big Time Sports channel to watch the next day. On a related note, the best high school basketball game I've ever watched was when Lake beat Jackson in double OT in 2013. The game went longer than the air time, and the recording cut off when Jackson had the lead in the first OT.

Just saw this now...but Boardman won a playoff game in 07 at Euclid in round 1 and that was off a nice 7-3, 5-2 league play season.

Yeah, I did not know it was so close. I've been following high school football since I was in 4th grade 2011, when I would get up at 6AM on Saturday mornings after a road game to check the scores and game recaps on FridayNightOhio.com. Then in the winter I would record the Friday basketball games on the Big Time Sports channel to watch the next day. On a related note, the best high school basketball game I've ever watched was when Lake beat Jackson in double OT in 2013. The game went longer than the air time, and the recording cut off when Jackson had the lead in the first OT.
Man not enough people talk about some of those games between Lake and Jackson during those years. 2012-2016 they had some barn burners. 2013 game was the best high school game I’ve attended besides the Lake vs Copley 5 overtime game.

The first time Lake played Jackson was 1975...lost to them 28 to 7..probably was the biggest school Lake had played at that time...played Stow in 1971...don't know who was the bigger school at the time. Next time Lake played Jackson was 1987, it was the 4th game at the new stadium...5th game of the season...we were 1 and 3 and hadn't scored a touchdown yet all season...lost to Hoover 19-0, beat your Green 3-0, lost to West Branch 13-0, and Canton South 14-0...finally scored a touchdown in a blow out for us...beat Jackson 17 to 7..lol. After that lost to Jackson in 1990..then beat them in 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97...lost to them in 98, 99, 2000, 2001...they had Jay Rohr then. I take it you are happy that Green joined the Fed..lol

On a related note, the best high school basketball game I've ever watched was when Lake beat Jackson in double OT in 2013. The game went longer than the air time, and the recording cut off when Jackson had the lead in the first OT.
Man not enough people talk about some of those games between Lake and Jackson during those years. 2012-2016 they had some barn burners. 2013 game was the best high school game I’ve attended besides the Lake vs Copley 5 overtime game.
I'm with you guys on that 2013 Lake - Jackson basketball game. I haven't seen many, if any, better. It's a shame it ended the way it did. Here's the article from Josh Weir of The Repository about the game -

LAKE TWP. Over the years, head coach Tom McBride and his Lake High School boys basketball teams have gained a certain reputation.

The smallest school in the Federal League, the Blue Streaks often battled bigger, better foes. Sometimes they knocked them off. More often, they came up a little short.

Call them feisty underdogs who gained a certain admiration in the local basketball scene.

On Friday night, the Blue Streaks earned themselves a new label: Federal League champions.

Lake outlasted Jackson 93-92 in double overtime to earn its first league title in 26 years as a member of the Federal League. It's the first league championship of any kind for Lake in 30 years, since the 1982-83 Senate League title.

A sellout crowd of more than 1,600 packed Lake's gym to watch this winner-take-all game. It turned into a battle of attrition.

When a Jackson free throw missed with one-tenth of a second left in the second overtime, the win was finally Lake's. Head coach Tom McBride busted into a little jig on the sideline, and was soon joined by a raucous Lake student section that stormed the court.

"The emotions are just overwhelming when you work with kids 21/2, three hours a night for 14 years and something finally comes true for your team," said a sweaty, disheveled McBride, who had just danced to DMX's "Where the Hood at?" in the Lake locker room to his players' delight.

Senior Chaese Vaudrin led the Blue Streaks with a career-high 34 points, nine rebounds and seven assists. He scored 22 of those points from the fourth quarter on. Junior Mitchell Spotleson scored 28 points before fouling out late in the first OT. Alex Belinsky added 14 for Lake (16-3, 10-2).

"Every year we beat some teams we shouldn't, lose to some teams we shouldn't, either," Vaudrin said. "But this year, we knew after that Hoover game, the third game of the year, we could do something special."

"Special" would also describe Evan Bailey's performance Friday. The multi-talented junior forward was simply unstoppable in stretches for Jackson. He scored a career-high 43 points before fouling out with 2:27 left in the second OT.

Mitch Pugh scored 13 points and Jake Vassas 10 for a Jackson team that was denied its fourth straight league title.

"That's one of the best high school games I've been involved with," Jackson head coach Tim Debevec said. "Our kids never quit. Their kids never quit. There were big plays after big plays. Not one play describes this game or wins or losses the game."

Jackson led the majority of regulation and carried an eight-point lead into the fourth quarter. Vaudrin led a furious rally that had the game tied less than four minutes later.

Lake took a 75-72 lead when Belinsky made a pair of free throws with 7.4 seconds left.

Jackson pushed the ball and had it knocked out of bounds with 2.6 seconds left. Inbounding from the right side, Jake Vassas came open for the Polar Bears. The senior forward - with three 3-pointers on the season entering Friday - buried a 3 from the right wing to send the game into the first OT.

"He was the one guy we wanted to shoot the ball," said McBride, who added that he had considered fouling before that to prevent such a game-tying shot.

Jackson led by as many as six in the first OT.

But a missed Jackson free throw with 12.8 seconds left kept the Streaks' deficit at a single possession, 82-79.

Vaudrin made them pay with a deep 3-pointer from the right wing with six seconds left.

"They didn't pick me up early, so I thought maybe I could look to pull up," Vaudrin said. "I got a little bit of space, and when I shot it I knew it was good."

Vaudrin got Lake started with a 3-point play in the second overtime. The Streaks led by as many as five, but Jackson tied the score twice in the final minute.

Vaudrin found Caleb Peach for a layup and a 93-91 lead with 22 seconds left. Jackson was whistled for an offensive foul on the next possession, but Lake had trouble on the ensuing inbound. Jackson's Nick Dillon was fouled going for a loose ball, putting him on the line for two free throws with a tenth of a second left and his team down two points.

Dillon made the first. The second bounced high off the back iron and Vaudrin swatted the loose ball away to end the game.

"That's not why we lost," Debevec said. "We had our chances in the overtimes. Nick Dillon played his heart out."

I was asked about the out of conference opponents during the regular season for the Federal League... here are those opponents since 2004 when McKinley, Fitch and Boardman joined the conference.
Screenshot 2023-01-20 at 18.44.34.png

Screenshot 2023-01-20 at 18.45.16.png

Cumulative totals ranked by times played opponent since 2004 in the regular season, out of conference totals (*-out of state opponent)View attachment 38316View attachment 38317
Hey Dave...Jackson and Hoover listed as out of conference...is this against Green during 2020 with covid...Lake played Green week 6 that year but was out of conference....also you have way to much time on your hands...lol

Last edited:
Hey Dave...Jackson and Hoover listed as out of conference...is this against Green during 2020 with covid...Lake played Green week 6 that year but was out of conference....also you have way to much time on your hands...lol
The Hoover game was the playoff meeting in 2020