Canfield Cardinals Schedule and Outlook for 2023

Get over it and invite Mooney to the NE8, heck, think of the pleasure you'll experience as they tie themselves in knots coming up with reasons to decline.
That's never going to happen...

Remember what happened when the Hubbard police were called to the visitor's locker room after the game when Mooney played at Hubbard?

I doubt very much if any NE8 teams would want that kind of baggage or drama, it's simply not worth it.

Sorry RadCard...😁

To get a D3 school to join the NE8 they would want another D3 to be included. The NE8 is a D4 -D5 conference and to attract a Howland or Canfield there needs to be more than 1 team added. Louisville, Canfield and Howland offer their students more athletic sports to be involved in than what the current NE8 teams all offer. This leads the NE8 with limited options to get back to 8 teams but should not avoid scheduling the D3 schools in OOC games. the NE8 is not a fit for Canfield unless it would include those 2 other D3 schools and all other sports could be scheduled.

Louisville is too far of a geographic outlier for the league and also not a good fit otherwise.

I don’t understand why it matters that much if it’s the NE8, NE7 or NE6. It may not be preferable, but the world doesn’t shatter if it loses a member or two. None of these teams will have a problem filling their schedule if given enough lead time.
You are right, they (D3 schools) are not a good fit for the league but should be the OOC game for the NE 6, 7or whatever.
But don't know why everyone wants Lakeview out. If you bring in Salem and West Branch is NE9 okay?

You are right, they (D3 schools) are not a good fit for the league but should be the OOC game for the NE 6, 7or whatever.
But don't know why everyone wants Lakeview out. If you bring in Salem and West Branch is NE9 okay?
Are you just throwing out scenarios for fun or you are hearing something?
Neither of those teams have expressed any interest at all so I don’t think it’s a plausible scenario.
if asking just for fun, then hell yeah. I’d love it. I don’t think SR would care but I don’t have any inside dope.

Neither of those teams have expressed any interest at all so I don’t think it’s a plausible scenario.
if asking just for fun, then hell yeah. I’d love it. I don’t think SR would care but I don’t have any inside dope.
They both have expressed interest as late as the Struthers/WB playoff game, the coaches were talking about the possibility, not all are onboard tho within Salem more then WB believe it or not. Salem remembers what it was like when they were in the aac and doesn’t wanna go through that again

He’s throwing stuff out there. He does the same thing every year.

Mooney is never getting an invite for as long as the pope is catholic.

The Niles running back has been rumored to 3 separate ne8 schools. Girard, Hubbard and believe it or not. South range. Kids been telling people he was leaving Niles since mid last season. Sorry coach parry. Kickball is fun tho.

at 7 members the league is solid but at 8 the league would be much better. There could even be a MVAC school that wants a step up in competition in the coming years

Duh. I should have figured that out.
Yep, watch the Louisville football game vs. SR back in 2018,I believe,and SR got beat, watch them play Louisville in basketball this year and it was not good (really, stick to football) Was at the Niles vs SR football game the last time SR lost a NE8 game. With all of SR success, the funny thing is every time I watched them play in person, they got beat.

@simkon one of the better high school matchups that I got to watch over the years was Louisville vs Canfield. I believe they ended up 7and 7 record between the 2 teams. The reason I mention Stark and Mahoning valley matchups so often is a hope these 2 schools would end up in a league together someday with a mixture of both local areas. The 2 schools matchup well in all other sports too.

Yep, watch the Louisville football game vs. SR back in 2018,I believe,and SR got beat, watch them play Louisville in basketball this year and it was not good (really, stick to football) Was at the Niles vs SR football game the last time SR lost a NE8 game. With all of SR success, the funny thing is every time I watched them play in person, they got beat.
Thank you for not attending the DV state championship game this year. 😅 🤪

It has been a few years, but a local team lost just a few games in the season, and I attended all three losses. Knowing the coach, he jokingly asked me not to attend any more games. 😅

@Raider#23 Canfield’s coach is always happy to see me, they haven't lost when I have been in attendance in quite a while. Usually we win really big when I am there such as against Fitch last year and Aurora this year.

They have played maybe a half dozen times over the past 20 years in the playoffs or regular season. I would guess something like 4-2 in JFK's favor? I recall some really close games and a couple blowouts.

JFK leads 3-1 in playoff games. SR's win coming in 2001. The last playoff game between the two was in 2006. SR's first playoff game was against JFK in 1992.

I'm pretty sure that SR won regular season games in 2010, 13 & 14, lost in 2011, 12 & 15. I don't think they have played each other since that 2015 game.

JFK leads 3-1 in playoff games. SR's win coming in 2001. The last playoff game between the two was in 2006. SR's first playoff game was against JFK in 1992.

I'm pretty sure that SR won regular season games in 2010, 13 & 14, lost in 2011, 12 & 15. I don't think they have played each other since that 2015 game.
Thanks. I didn't recall that many games obviously.

You are 100% correct YTOWN. The last regular season game between the two was in 2015.

I remember attending that 1992 playoff game at the old Boardman Stadium. The Eagle's standout running back Tom Paolucci led them to a convincing 35-18 win over the Raiders, holding Nathan Toy to just 74 yards rushing in the game. But we got a little revenge in 2001. That was a big upset when the Raiders dominated the favored Eagles 31-13 at Bo Rein Stadium in Niles. The Raiders Brad Johnson rushed for 204 yards and two touchdowns in that victory.

You are 100% correct YTOWN. The last regular season game between the two was in 2015.

I remember attending that 1992 playoff game at the old Boardman Stadium. The Eagle's standout running back Tom Paolucci led them to a convincing 35-18 win over the Raiders, holding Nathan Toy to just 74 yards rushing in the game. But we got a little revenge in 2001. That was a big upset when the Raiders dominated the favored Eagles 31-13 at Bo Rein Stadium in Niles. The Raiders Brad Johnson rushed for 204 yards and two touchdowns in that victory.

I didn't see the 92 playoff game because a few of us went to see YSU play Akron at Akron that afternoon, the Zips kicked a last second FG to tie it at 10, and then drove down to Massillon PBTS to see Fitch play Massillon Perry. Chris Inglis pretty much blew up Perry's offense in that one, he played a great defensive game and Fitch won 27-6.

Driving home we caught the very tail end of the JFK-SR 35-18 score on the radio and I remember thinking that was a little closer than I thought it would be because JFK was the defending D4 champ and had some of their top guys back. JFK did lose to Poland by one in week 10 but that was their only loss in the regular season. I just thought they would probably win by about 24-28. JFK ended up the D4 runner-up to CAPE.

Last edited:
I didn't see the 92 playoff game because a few of us went to see YSU play Akron at Akron that afternoon, the Zips kicked a last second FG to tie it at 10, and then drove down to Massillon PBTS to see Fitch play Massillon Perry. Chris Inglis pretty much blew up Perry's offense in that one, he played a great defensive game and Fitch won 27-6.

Driving home we caught the very tail end of the JFK-SR 35-18 score on the radio and I remember thinking that was a little closer than I thought it would be because JFK was the defending D4 champ and had some of their top guys back. JFK did lose to Poland by one in week 10 but that was their only loss in the regular season. I just thought they would probably win by about 24-28. JFK ended up the D4 runner-up to CAPE.
My Man YTOWN, you have a Great memory!! Funny story about that game. I just got back from a recruiting visit with my son to Iowa State. During the visit we met with Coach Campbell. As we talked, he precedes to tell me that he was at that game with his father, and he remembers me. I about jumped out of the chair I was on. Needless to say, I was extremely happy the rest of the day!

My Man YTOWN, you have a Great memory!! Funny story about that game. I just got back from a recruiting visit with my son to Iowa State. During the visit we met with Coach Campbell. As we talked, he precedes to tell me that he was at that game with his father, and he remembers me. I about jumped out of the chair I was on. Needless to say, I was extremely happy the rest of the day!

If coach Campbell saw that game he should remember you. I guarantee all Perry's RBs and QB remember you! :) I would bet their OSU bound OL does too.

Great defensive game plan and execution by the Falcons and you in particular.

Congratulations to your son & his teammates on the state title. Good luck to him in the future.

Last edited: