College Football 2023-2024

Orin Swift

Might as well kick off a new thread now that the season is over. Former Miami commit who flipped to Florida after an alleged $13M NIL deal, 5* QB Jaden Rashada has not enrolled early like expected and is back in California. Rumors are the NIL deal started falling apart.

Peace out, Warren! It will be interesting to see the names that are floated. Gene Smith has some clout, but I doubt the rest of the Big Ten would want someone with direct ties to a member school pulling the levers.

Last edited:
Might as well kick off a new thread now that the season is over. Former Miami commit who flipped to Florida after an alleged $13M NIL deal, 5* QB Jaden Rashada has not enrolled early like expected and is back in California. Rumors are the NIL deal started falling apart.
Rashada's Dad claims they're still working out some issues. Likely that the decimal points promised are still in the right place. :ROFLMAO:

I wonder if it’s kosher for a Power 5 commissioner to move from one conference to another. Jim Phillips was Northwestern AD from 2008 to 2021 before becoming ACC’s new commissioner. He’s highly respected, knows the league well, and would probably be a great choice.

It’s true, it’s true. Trust me …

Limbo season. 1 year before major conference realignment. 1 year before playoff expansion.
This, except maybe transition season would be a more appropriate word. Many are saying it will be the end of an era and some classic traditions in NCAA may be gone for good like season openers on Labor day weekend, due or die regular season games, Thanksgiving weekend rivalry games, and a complete reboot of bowl games.

With Oklahoma and Texas leaving the Big 12, should the Big 12 be considered a power 5 conference? With the teams left in the Big 12 and the schools joining the Big 12 I can't think of one team that I would like to see join the Big 10 for football purposes. Kansas for basketball and that would be it. Would have liked for Oklahoma and Texas to have joined the Big 10. Would be a good fit. I can't blame Oklahoma and Texas for going to the SEC. Definitely will be sitting at the big boy's table.

Watching the NFL playoffs this weekend and I give that league credit for moving games along and getting the calls right. The instant review started for the playoffs is tight and was mostly on the right side of the call, I expect it to be fully implemented in the regular season shortly. Also the way they do breaks and commercials is much more fan friendly, I wish the NCAA would consider implementing some of these procedures to make their games not drag on and on and on...

With Oklahoma and Texas leaving the Big 12, should the Big 12 be considered a power 5 conference? With the teams left in the Big 12 and the schools joining the Big 12 I can't think of one team that I would like to see join the Big 10 for football purposes. Kansas for basketball and that would be it. Would have liked for Oklahoma and Texas to have joined the Big 10. Would be a good fit. I can't blame Oklahoma and Texas for going to the SEC. Definitely will be sitting at the big boy's table.
The answer to your question is yes. Oklahoma and Texas haven't even won the conference each of the last two seasons (Baylor and Kansas St), and neither participated in the Conference Championship Game (Baylor, Oklahoma St, TCU, Kansas St). The new Big 12 will be a better football conference than the Pac 12 - after UCLA and USC leave - and the ACC.

Can't blame them for leaving, much bigger pie. From a competitive standpoint, not sure either will compete for an SEC Championship for the first 3-5 seasons. USC and UCLA on the other hand should be able to compete fairly quickly. USC specifically, could win the B1G within the first couple seasons they join and once Riley has all of his guys in there. Might not hurt for him to upgrade the DC before then too.

USC and UCLA on the other hand should be able to compete fairly quickly. USC specifically, could win the B1G within the first couple seasons they join and once Riley has all of his guys in there. Might not hurt for him to upgrade the DC before then too.
I have USC winning the Big Ten in their inaugural year, and probably most years thereafter. The Big Ten brought this onto themselves.

USC’s final six games next season:

at Notre Dame (night game)
Utah
at Cal
Washington
at Oregon
UCLA

No byes in the middle of that stretch. They’ll face Sam Hartman, Cam Rising, Michael Penix and Bo Nix in a five-week stretch.

Tough sledding the second half of the season. And no getting bailed out in the FOX Big Noon Saturday window like certain other big-name teams.

USC’s final six games next season:

at Notre Dame (night game)
Utah
at Cal
Washington
at Oregon
UCLA

No byes in the middle of that stretch. They’ll face Sam Hartman, Cam Rising, Michael Penix and Bo Nix in a five-week stretch.

Tough sledding the second half of the season. And no getting bailed out in the FOX Big Noon Saturday window like certain other big-name teams.

Instead they’ll have dozens, dozens I say, of people across America watching.

Saw where Prime flipped Cormani McClain.

Bad week PR-wise for the dads of high-profile recruits who try to feed a bunch of crap on what their kids "aren't planning on doing" — only to, three days later, do what we all expected.

Saw where Prime flipped Cormani McClain.
Colorado's recruiting assistant. She must be doing a good job(y)
1674224834582.png

It will be very interesting to see how Prime handles losing with his team. He is one of those guys that when it is going great he can be great, but when it starts going bad, he can be really bad.
I've said, IMO, that it will either be a fantastic success or dumpster fire. I don't know if an in-between exists.

I have USC winning the Big Ten in their inaugural year, and probably most years thereafter. The Big Ten brought this onto themselves.

USC is getting a huge break with what they are saying the 2024 schedule will be. USC three opponents every year is UCLA, Nebraska and Northwestern. Compare that to OSU playing Michigan, Penn State and Indiana every year, USC has a head start every year.
The new Big Ten football scheduling format — what will it look like?

USC is getting a huge break with what they are saying the 2024 schedule will be. USC three opponents every year is UCLA, Nebraska and Northwestern. Compare that to OSU playing Michigan, Penn State and Indiana every year, USC has a head start every year.
The new Big Ten football scheduling format — what will it look like?
It depends whether UCLA can keep their momentum and what Rhule can do at Nebraska long-term. I think Nebraska finally got the right guy in there.

In any event, the Big Ten West teams have always had a head start on Big Ten East teams every year in terms of scheduling, so that won’t change except for the unlucky ones who play USC every year.

It depends whether UCLA can keep their momentum and what Rhule can do at Nebraska long-term. I think Nebraska finally got the right guy in there.

In any event, the Big Ten West teams have always had a head start on Big Ten East teams every year in terms of scheduling, so that won’t change except for the unlucky ones who play USC every year.

Getting Michigan and Penn State, Ohio State has the toughest 3 game series than any other team in the Big Ten. USC should have got one of the big three as a guaranteed yearly game. Guaranteed highly rated tv game and would set up a good yearly rivalry game. Big 10 getting USC. Should take full advantage of it.

Getting Michigan and Penn State, Ohio State has the toughest 3 game series than any other team in the Big Ten. USC should have got one of the big three as a guaranteed yearly game. Guaranteed highly rated tv game and would set up a good yearly rivalry game. Big 10 getting USC. Should take full advantage of it.
I wouldn’t be upset at grouping USC with UCLA, Northwestern and Penn State. That way they get their intra-city game, a traditionally solid Big Ten team, and a trip for their fans to Chicago every two years.

Let Ohio State and Michigan play each other and Michigan State every year. Let Penn State play USC, Maryland and Rutgers.

I have a feeling Ohio State fans aren’t going to be happy about this. A relevant Big Ten night window definitely increases the chances of road night games for the Buckeyes, which inevitably increases the chances of losing said games.

Every single Ohio State fan I’ve interacted with dislikes Big Noon Kickoff and wants more night games. I know the coaches do too as it’s difficult to get out of state recruits to a noon game in season when they play the Friday night before.

Every single Ohio State fan I’ve interacted with dislikes Big Noon Kickoff and wants more night games. I know the coaches do too as it’s difficult to get out of state recruits to a noon game in season when they play the Friday night before.
Everything about Big Noon Kickoff stinks except for Joel Klatt, IMO.

The atmosphere generally isn’t great, half the inventory of games are usually awful, the pregame show isn’t worth watching, the studio/halftime crew is mediocre, and Gus Johnson should keep his on-air orgasms reserved for basketball.

FWIW, FOX’s best crew is Jason Benetti and Brock Huard, with apologies to Klatt for being saddled with Mr. Excitement.