Birds and other Animals

I think people would be shocked to learn how often they have been close to sharks while swimming in the ocean and never realized it. We are not on the menu but sometimes the sharks will nibble just to make sure.;)
Couple shark stories. We raised our kids on Clearwater Beach. I enjoyed fishing at night on pier 60. I would bring my catch back to the fish cleaning station. Scrapes get tossed in the water to hungry critters. One of those critters was a big Bull Shark. 100 yards or less away would occasionally be some spring breakers swimming. They usually were full of spirits.

Clearwater scene changed and I headed to the Keys. The Damn Bull Shark down there is humongous. Watching him feed is something else. Love watching the Sharks

Couple shark stories. We raised our kids on Clearwater Beach. I enjoyed fishing at night on pier 60. I would bring my catch back to the fish cleaning station. Scrapes get tossed in the water to hungry critters. One of those critters was a big Bull Shark. 100 yards or less away would occasionally be some spring breakers swimming. They usually were full of spirits.

Clearwater scene changed and I headed to the Keys. The Damn Bull Shark down there is humongous. Watching him feed is something else. Love watching the Sharks

Never seen nor wanted to see anything as aggressive as a bullshark. Plenty of more peaceful.

Only story there, caught a break someone had canceled on a 4 day outing so I got the spot on a walk-up. It was all Japanese, with one American, whose partner had canceled. So he was my dive partner. He had a camera... saw everything through the view finder. I saw three nurse sharks under a ledge, tapped my tank to get his attention, started letting air out my vest to fall down beside them. He comes charging in, camera first. Spooks them, one no kidding went right through my hoses. Another dive on a pillar, he dove ahead. Lost me, surfaced to tell the dive master and paniked he'd killed me. I just hooked up with a Japanese pair. Last I dove with him. Dive masters kept him busy and I paired with a Japanese lady. Not bad looking but spoke no English. Great diver. Better eyes and instincts than me, the quality of the experience jumped magnitudes.

It always amazes me how many people swim next to a fishing pier for this reason. It is a feeding station.

We used to do Clearwater years ago. It changed. We started heading South. You can still get some decent laid back places between Clearwater and St. Pete in places like Indian Rocks Beach but even that has changed. Went fishing out of John's Pass for years. Last 10 years were spent in Sanibel. It is painful what Ian did to that place as it was one of the last non-overly commercialized destinations.

Head to The Keys once a year to do some real fishing. As you know it is far better than anywhere else in FL. Can get to deep water quickly and have caught some amazing fish. When we head back to the dock the mates always feed nurse sharks which causes a crowd.

Most shark attacks are Bull Sharks. They are aggressive and hang out in shallow water, brackish water, and even fresh water. They remind me of dogs in that they will try anything, even if not on the menu. ;)

It always amazes me how many people swim next to a fishing pier for this reason. It is a feeding station.

We used to do Clearwater years ago. It changed. We started heading South. You can still get some decent laid back places between Clearwater and St. Pete in places like Indian Rocks Beach but even that has changed. Went fishing out of John's Pass for years. Last 10 years were spent in Sanibel. It is painful what Ian did to that place as it was one of the last non-overly commercialized destinations.

Head to The Keys once a year to do some real fishing. As you know it is far better than anywhere else in FL. Can get to deep water quickly and have caught some amazing fish. When we head back to the dock the mates always feed nurse sharks which causes a crowd.

Most shark attacks are Bull Sharks. They are aggressive and hang out in shallow water, brackish water, and even fresh water. They remind me of dogs in that they will try anything, even if not on the menu. ;)
I love the Keys. Hammerheads around 7 mile bridge are Amazing. Luckily the currents are so strong people stay out of the water.

About a year and a half ago I went to a wedding in Cabo and our group made an extended weekend out of it. A handful of us decide we want to pay to have a boat take us out fishing. We’re hoping for marlin but realize it’s unlikely. Day starts off strong with plenty of bonito and some needlefish. Finally a buddy hooks something big - a marlin?! After a good fight for awhile turns out it was a hammerhead, line snapped. Thata about it for the shark part of the story.

We did end up catching a black marlin (shout out to my wife for hooking it and reeling it in) and the locals who took us out clubbed the thing to death and we brought it on board. Took the marlin and bonito to be cleaned and to a restaurant to be cooked. Bonito, served up sashimi style, was fantastic. Marlin, cooked 4 different ways, was meh.

We get to the wedding and word has spread we caught, killed and ate the marlin. Apparently that’s a big no no. We no idea, we didn’t even kill the thing.

Never seen nor wanted to see anything as aggressive as a bullshark. Plenty of more peaceful.

Only story there, caught a break someone had canceled on a 4 day outing so I got the spot on a walk-up. It was all Japanese, with one American, whose partner had canceled. So he was my dive partner. He had a camera... saw everything through the view finder. I saw three nurse sharks under a ledge, tapped my tank to get his attention, started letting air out my vest to fall down beside them. He comes charging in, camera first. Spooks them, one no kidding went right through my hoses. Another dive on a pillar, he dove ahead. Lost me, surfaced to tell the dive master and paniked he'd killed me. I just hooked up with a Japanese pair. Last I dove with him. Dive masters kept him busy and I paired with a Japanese lady. Not bad looking but spoke no English. Great diver. Better eyes and instincts than me, the quality of the experience jumped magnitudes.
Whew, Diving with people can be suck. Had a man a woman this year in our dive group that were pain in ash. Mucking up the bottom, to aggressive with encounters and kept touching the corral. We just got away from them the best we could. Dive masters job became harder.

About a year and a half ago I went to a wedding in Cabo and our group made an extended weekend out of it. A handful of us decide we want to pay to have a boat take us out fishing. We’re hoping for marlin but realize it’s unlikely. Day starts off strong with plenty of bonito and some needlefish. Finally a buddy hooks something big - a marlin?! After a good fight for awhile turns out it was a hammerhead, line snapped. Thata about it for the shark part of the story.

We did end up catching a black marlin (shout out to my wife for hooking it and reeling it in) and the locals who took us out clubbed the thing to death and we brought it on board. Took the marlin and bonito to be cleaned and to a restaurant to be cooked. Bonito, served up sashimi style, was fantastic. Marlin, cooked 4 different ways, was meh.

We get to the wedding and word has spread we caught, killed and ate the marlin. Apparently that’s a big no no. We no idea, we didn’t even kill the thing.
Wow, nice stuff. Never have caught a Marlin.

Other than snagging three eyed blue gill at the Edison retention pond as a kid, I've never been fishing. I've rarely lived more than five minutes from a major lake, ocean. Never even seen anyone fish, except (story again) hitched a ride on a cargo ship. Crew caught a tuna on lines they set to drag behind the ship. Big commotion as word spread they were trying to haul it in. It wasn't a big boat, but people I'd not even realized were on the boat. I was sharing cabin with a boat officer. Apparently crew family and others looking to hop islands live in the hull. Anyhow, they landed the tuna of some sort, I moved ahead to look and got held back. They told me, one of those will snap a leg bone. They clubbed it.

Yeah, I was given a piece, a couple bites worth. It was..... gooooooood.

Yes, the three sharks you don't really want to encounter up close are the bull, tiger, and great white. We have had monster tigers beside the boat off Carolina (one hooked for a while), if you went overboard it would be over in seconds. Spear fishing in the Gulf, better be looking over your shoulder for bulls. Had one or more decent-sized black tips at the sandbar in the surf, generally not a problem, not really interested in humans.

Had my first whale encounter during Christmas week. Took the family to Costa Rica and we were doing a sunset snorkel trip when the crew spotted a couple whales surfacing. I don't think they were expecting to see any, but they did say that they spend a few months in the area to give birth and get their offspring strong enough to make the swim back up north in the spring. I've seen a lot of dolphins up close, both in Florida and Maui, but this is the first time I've seen whales in person.

Had my first whale encounter during Christmas week. Took the family to Costa Rica and we were doing a sunset snorkel trip when the crew spotted a couple whales surfacing. I don't think they were expecting to see any, but they did say that they spend a few months in the area to give birth and get their offspring strong enough to make the swim back up north in the spring. I've seen a lot of dolphins up close, both in Florida and Maui, but this is the first time I've seen whales in person.
Where at in Costa Rica?

Stopped at the Ottawa wildlife refuge recently, only had a few minutes, but did see numerous tundra swans. Will go back in the spring hopefully, for the big migrations.

If you don't mind me asking, "out west" where?
Not at all. Flew into Vegas, spent the night. Rented big SUV.
Headed out to Death Valley. Visited rim and floor. Headed out around 5 to Lone Pine. Stayed there in a Mom and Pop Hotel. Great Dinner in a small town. Up early to hike half way up Mt Whitney. Left after hike to spend 2 days at Mammoth Lake Ski resort. Plenty of sights to see there. Took Tioga pass to Yosemite. Spent the day and stayed the night close. Headed over to Montero Bay spent night. Then to Julia Pfeiffer Burns to stay in a cabin. Red Woods are something. Then we headed down route 1. Passed the Hurst Castle and found a place to stay about 1.5 hours from Sequoia. Took a day at Sequoia then head out towards Mohave Desert. Stayed a night then entered the Mohave. Made our way back Vegas and home. We were ahead of time for our flight home and visited Ring of Fire Park. What a Gem. That's from memory. 10 days and it didn't kill us.

Not at all. Flew into Vegas, spent the night. Rented big SUV.
Headed out to Death Valley. Visited rim and floor. Headed out around 5 to Lone Pine. Stayed there in a Mom and Pop Hotel. Great Dinner in a small town. Up early to hike half way up Mt Whitney. Left after hike to spend 2 days at Mammoth Lake Ski resort. Plenty of sights to see there. Took Tioga pass to Yosemite. Spent the day and stayed the night close. Headed over to Montero Bay spent night. Then to Julia Pfeiffer Burns to stay in a cabin. Red Woods are something. Then we headed down route 1. Passed the Hurst Castle and found a place to stay about 1.5 hours from Sequoia. Took a day at Sequoia then head out towards Mohave Desert. Stayed a night then entered the Mohave. Made our way back Vegas and home. We were ahead of time for our flight home and visited Ring of Fire Park. What a Gem. That's from memory. 10 days and it didn't kill us.
Quite a trip!

Nice video...