Avatar 2 Bombing With Friday Box Office

When I read where they're "resurrecting" Sigourney Weaver's character and that of the evil colonel, I just shook my head and figured for the same plot as the first one, just recycled a tad. Really enjoyed the first one from a visual perspective. No desire to see this one.

If you enjoyed the first, I think you’ll like the sequel. The “resurrecting’s” are well done.

is the story any good? I liked the first one. Evil corporation, underdogs standing up for themselves. Not exactly original, it worked for me though.

The sequel is more than this, but based on your comments in this thread I’d think you would like the film if you get past the runtime.

Saw it tonight. First movie I've seen in theater in a long time (3 years? 2 years? Covid screwed my timeline).

Much like the first. They even resurrect people. Story is predictable and cheesy at times. Hokey too. With that said the visuals and heart tugging save it a bit.

I'd give it a 5/8.

Last edited:
Saw it tonight. First movie I've seen in theater in a long time (3 years? 2 years? Covid screwed my timeline).

Much like the first. They even resurrect people. Story is predictable and cheesy at times. Hokey too. With that said the visuals and heart tugging save it a bit.

I'd give it a 5/8.

Rewatched it today, and there certainly are some similarities between two plot wise (though I think the 2nd movie goes above and beyond the first).

Even complete with the final shot of both movies being the same.

I'm not that surprised. This is one of those movies that was more about the special effects rather than the story. It really was an amazing visual when the first one came out. Now it is commonplace. I'll maybe see it on a Monday when movies are only $5 at our local theater.
2 billion Dollars lol.

The first one was just okay for me...not sure if/when I'll get around to seeing this.

For such an expensive movie and 10-ish years between you'd think they'd have had the budget and time to hire top notch writers to pen a better story

For such an expensive movie and 10-ish years between you'd think they'd have had the budget and time to hire top notch writers to pen a better story

It's intended for a fairly wide audience. It's all trigger points I agree. That's probably by design. It would be nice to have a purer sci-fi version for people with brains.

Didn't see the first one. So I won't be seeing this one either.
but you're reading the thread? OoooooooK then. At least you're part on board, lol

You're not missing anything life-changing IMO. I guess the 3-D is a cool experience but from a pure story point, I agree with Cru. This is designed to sell tickets to as wide an audience as possible. If it pisses off a few that see analogies and similes Trump/Rush wouldn't approve them watching, it's a minor annoyance. They'll get their kids and insidiously attack family values from inside. lol

Maybe it’s just me but I can’t watch movies that don’t have real actors. Not trying to be a hater. We all have our flaws…🤷🏼

I’m sure you’re not alone there.

Me, I struggle with movies and shows where I don’t know any of the actors.

Maybe it’s just me but I can’t watch movies that don’t have real actors. Not trying to be a hater. We all have our flaws…🤷🏼
I hear that. Can't stand anything with Nick Cage.

I had to think about it. I've not watched too many pure animation movies since I was a kid. TV Series, some are terrific. Movies? I don't personally put Avatar in that category. Almost anything I watch has CGI at some level. This Avatar 2, Weaver's and Lang's characters were creepy as hell.

I thought the first one was terrible. I don’t care how visually good a movie is if the plot sucks. Won’t be seeing this one.

but you're reading the thread? OoooooooK then. At least you're part on board, lol

You're not missing anything life-changing IMO. I guess the 3-D is a cool experience but from a pure story point, I agree with Cru. This is designed to sell tickets to as wide an audience as possible. If it pisses off a few that see analogies and similes Trump/Rush wouldn't approve them watching, it's a minor annoyance. They'll get their kids and insidiously attack family values from inside. lol
I know. It's almost like anyone can hop in a thread if they want these days. Crazy.

Just interested in how the movie is doing even though not interested in seeing it.

ended up grossing $2.32B. Third highest grossing movie of all time behind the original Avatar and Avengers: Endgame

Crazy that James Cameron now has 3 of the top 4 highest grossing films of all time.

These are the best movies percentage wise as far as more bang for the buck . Nothing against James Cameron, but i believe he has 3 of the top 4 highest grossing movies because he is always working with a fat budget

1. Paranormal Activity (Budget: $15,000; Revenue: $193 million): 645,801.51%

2. Tarnation (Budget: $218; Revenue: $1.1 million): 266,416.97%

3. Mad Max (Budget: $200,000; Revenue $99.7 million): 24,837.50%

4. Super Size Me (Budget: $65,000; Revenue: $29,529,368): 22,614.90%

5. The Blair Witch Project (Budget: $600,000; Revenue: $248 million): 20,591.67%

6. Night of the Living Dead (Budget:$114,000; Revenue: $30 million): 13,057.89%

7. Rocky (Budget: $1 million; Revenue: $225 million): 11,150.00%

8. Halloween (Budget: $325,000; Revenue: $70 million): 10,669.23%

9. American Graffiti: (Budget: $777,000; Revenue: $140 million): 8,909.01%

10. Once (Budget: $150,000; Revenue: $18 million): 6,232.39%

11. The Stewardesses (Budget: $200,000; Revenue: $25 million): 6,150.00%

12. Napoleon Dynamite (Budget: $400,000; Revenue: $46 million): 5,667.62%

13. Friday the 13th (Budget: $550,000; Revenue: $59,7 million): 5,332.24%

14. Open Water (Budget: $500,000; Revenue: $52,100,882): 5,110.09%

15. Gone with the Wind (Budget: $3.9 million; Revenue: $390 million): 4,906.73%

16. The Birth of a Nation (Budget: $110,000; Revenue: $11,000,000): 4,900.00%

17. The Big Parade (Budget: $245,000; Revenue: $22 million): 4,389.80%