• Irregardless

Votes: 15 55.6%
  • Absolutely

Votes: 1 3.7%
  • It is what it is.

Votes: 10 37.0%

• Total voters

EagleGuy

I have heard some of these quite a bit (GOAT on SBs, gaslighting on DB, moving forward at work, and absolutely by me).

Others are less familiar, for example, inflection point and quiet quitting. Irregardless was mentioned on another thread as detestable.

Are you tired of hearing any? Which of these should be banished to the trash pile?

Last edited:

I voted for "irregardless". It is not a word.

Can I write in using "leverage" as a verb?

Quiet Quitting. Just say, I do my job and I go home. I have no ambition to be promoted or advance my career.

Any and all corporate speak
^ This

1673000416421.png

I'd like to add...

How do we quantify this? = I do not understand
From my 1000 foot view = I see big picture and you do not
I'll be out of pocket this week = I'm taking PTO

Every executive is coached on how to speak, how to act, and what to wear these days and you can spot them from a mile away. Phony as F.

I have heard some of these quite a bit (GOAT on SBs, gaslighting on DB, moving forward at work, and absolutely by me).

Others are less familiar, for example, inflection point and quiet quitting. Irregardless was mentioned on another thread as detestable.

Are you tired of hearing any? Which of these should be banished to the trash pile?
:love:I would vote for all but you didn't give me the option.

GOAT is the the number #1 worst of all time...the king daddy of them all... just stop already! before I throw something!

Gaslight comes from a 1944 movie which is a remake of a 1940 move, which was previously a play. MGM attempted to have all prints of the earlier film destroyed. Literally gaslighting the public.

I never heard the term until a couple of years ago. Still just means a lie, just sounds more sophisticated.

Similar, the word horrific. Growing up we only had horrible, but that word doesn't exist anymore. Now we only have horrific.

Nothing gets ruined or destroyed anymore either, only decimated. Decimated is used by people who are gaslighting us and want us to think they are smarter than they really are.

Last edited:

gaslighting​

1 of 2

noun

: psychological manipulation of a person usually over an extended periew d of time that causes the victim to question the validity of their own thoughts, perception of reality, or memories and typically leads to confusion, loss of confidence and self-esteem, uncertainty of one's emotional or mental stability, and a dependency on the perpetrator

: the act or practice of grossly misleading someone especially for one's own advantage

So, chs1971 expressed it best: it's a fancy way of saying "lie." The media and "personalities" use the term, even though few listeners know what it means. Just say "big *ss lie."

gaslighting​

1 of 2

noun

: psychological manipulation of a person usually over an extended periew d of time that causes the victim to question the validity of their own thoughts, perception of reality, or memories and typically leads to confusion, loss of confidence and self-esteem, uncertainty of one's emotional or mental stability, and a dependency on the perpetrator

: the act or practice of grossly misleading someone especially for one's own advantage

So, chs1971 expressed it best: it's a fancy way of saying "lie." The media and "personalities" use the term, even though few listeners know what it means. Just say "big *ss lie."
Pretty clear the media and "personalities" don't know what the word really means either, or don't care. It's just another way they try to manipulate us to think they know more and are smarter than us so that we should trust what they say instead of what we see

I talked to my 81 year old mom last night for 8-10 minutes and she used “I mean…” at least five times, maybe six. Where the hell is she getting it from?

Think I heard "inner leverage" and "outer leverage" today or some such thing. Ignored.
Might have been on a football broadcast...? And possibly "inside leverage" vs. "outside leverage", terms that have become popular in recent years, especially by game analysts and/or film breakdown guys when discussing defensive backs' coverage of receivers. And of course football like most other sports has its own unique words and phrases that have been developed and refined over the years.

Last edited:
I talked to my 81 year old mom last night for 8-10 minutes and she used “I mean…” at least five times, maybe six. Where the hell is she getting it from?
My MIL (she's 79) has been adding "it is what it is" to every other sentence for the last year or two. Half the time it doesn't even fit the conversation.

Might have been on a football broadcast...? And possibly "inside leverage" vs. "outside leverage", terms that have become popular in recent years, especially by game analysts and/or film breakdown guys when discussing defensive backs' coverage of receivers. And of course football like most other sports has its own unique words and phrases that have been developed and refined over the years.
I'll bet that's it! In that case, I can excuse it. Maybe, I should have listened and learned something. :p

I voted for "irregardless". It is not a word.

Can I write in using "leverage" as a verb?