Toledo Area Basketball 22-23

Is that Archbold/Eastwood score correct? I thought Eastwood was a pretty solid team...this is the least-talented Archbold Team I have watched in a long time...like back to the couple of lean years after their '96 State Runner-Up team.
Yes and Eastwood actually had to make a pretty good comeback to make it close.

They are down this year and are currently 5-3. Their W's are over Lake (who might be the worst team in NWO), Otsego, BG, Oak Harbor and Maumee.

For a "down" year they are still OK, but not all that good. They have no size. Tallest kid that plays is maybe 6-2. I was at the BG game and BG just played awful and Eastwood to their credit made some 3's early and got a decent lead and honestly BG wasn't good enough to come back and win even though they had a chance at the end. They will most likely end up around .500 or a little better because the league they play in is not very good. I mean the NBC has Lake, Woodmore, Otsego and Fostoria. That should be 8 wins in league right there. And Elmwood is not very good this year either. They should at least split with them.

EDIT: They will be well above .500 because of my opinion of the NBC. They have 3 or 4 tough games (outside of conference games) the rest of the season. They play Bellevue, Port Clinton, Ottawa Hills and OG. So factoring in the W's and L's, they should end up around 14-8 or a little better which is still pretty good in a "down" year.

Last edited:
Yes and Eastwood actually had to make a pretty good comeback to make it close.

They are down this year and are currently 5-3. Their W's are over Lake (who might be the worst team in NWO), Otsego, BG, Oak Harbor and Maumee.

For a "down" year they are still OK, but not all that good. They have no size. Tallest kid that plays is maybe 6-2. I was at the BG game and BG just played awful and Eastwood to their credit made some 3's early and got a decent lead and honestly BG wasn't good enough to come back and win even though they had a chance at the end. They will most likely end up around .500 or a little better because the league they play in is not very good. I mean the NBC has Lake, Woodmore, Otsego and Fostoria. That should be 8 wins in league right there. And Elmwood is not very good this year either. They should at least split with them.

EDIT: They will be well above .500 because of my opinion of the NBC. They have 3 or 4 tough games (outside of conference games) the rest of the season. They play Bellevue, Port Clinton, Ottawa Hills and OG. So factoring in the W's and L's, they should end up around 14-8 or a little better which is still pretty good in a "down" year.

North Baltimore, Lakota, Waite, Gibsonburg, and Fremont St Joe would like to have a discussion about the worst team in NWO lol.

I think Eastwood will end up with 12-13 regular season wins. They’ve got a good slate of tough games ahead that I think they’ll drop: Bellevue, Genoa, Port Clinton, Rossford, Ottawa Hills, and Ottawa Glandorf. That puts them at 9 losses.

Plus they’ve got Elmwood/Fostoria 4x yet. They may drop 1 or 2 there as well.

North Baltimore, Lakota, Waite, Gibsonburg, and Fremont St Joe would like to have a discussion about the worst team in NWO lol.

I think Eastwood will end up with 12-13 regular season wins. They’ve got a good slate of tough games ahead that I think they’ll drop: Bellevue, Genoa, Port Clinton, Rossford, Ottawa Hills, and Ottawa Glandorf. That puts them at 9 losses.

Plus they’ve got Elmwood/Fostoria 4x yet. They may drop 1 or 2 there as well.
Hey, North Baltimore has a 38 point win over a school(?) I've never heard of (Horizon Science - Toledo). Waite has a W over Fayette. Fremont St. Joe beat North Baltimore by 20. Lakota has a 3 point win over Gibsonburg.

So, it's between Gibsonburg and Lake who both haven't won a game yet. And I would say you're right.....Lake would beat Gibsonburg and North Baltimore IMHO.

Congrats Gibsonburg!!

I would say North Baltimore would be a close 2nd. Gibsonburg vs North Baltimore would be a......well, it would be a game.

Hey, North Baltimore has a 38 point win over a school(?) I've never heard of (Horizon Science - Toledo). Waite has a W over Fayette. Fremont St. Joe beat North Baltimore by 20. Lakota has a 3 point win over Gibsonburg.

So, it's between Gibsonburg and Lake who both haven't won a game yet. And I would say you're right.....Lake would beat Gibsonburg and North Baltimore IMHO.

Congrats Gibsonburg!!

I would say North Baltimore would be a close 2nd. Gibsonburg vs North Baltimore would be a......well, it would be a game.
Lol...they may not be the worst schools in the Toledo Area...the Buckeye Border Conference has some really bad teams...

Edon is 3-6, Holgate is 0-7, Montpelier is 2-5, Stryker is 3-6, and my dear old Fayette Eagles are 4-4 with losses to Waite and Stryker...

Rossford 29
Perrysburg 15

Halftime

Awful 1st half for Pburg. Shot 25%. 2-13 from 3. Rossford is 6-9 from 3. Rossford will be tough to beat if they shoot that well from 3 and Perrysburg can’t shoot better than 25%.

The way the Rossford side of the gym was going after the refs you would have thought it was Perrysburg who was only called for four fouls the entire game
I just don't like it when the fouls are that one-sided. And it's not like Pburg wasn't aggressive at all.

But give Rossford credit. They played well early and Pburg didn't. Can't shoot 25% from the field and 2-13 in a half against a good team and expect to win. Pburg tied it late and had the ball down 2 with less than 20 seconds left and threw the ball away on a simple pass with 7 seconds left. Pburg also missed a 3 and 2 pt putback from 2 feet that was in and out (still not sure how it didn't go in) when they were down 2 with maybe 25 seconds left. They had chances and just didn't execute.

Pburg took 16 more shots than Rossford and still lost. Pburg took 3 FT's (2-3) and Rossford took 12 (8-12). Rossford shot 56% from the field (20-36....7-13 from 3 for 54%) and Perrysburg shot 40% (21-52.....9-28 from 3 for 32%).

The way the Rossford side of the gym was going after the refs you would have thought it was Perrysburg who was only called for four fouls the entire game
Rossford plays not to foul. Only playing 6 guys, you can’t afford for someone to get in foul trouble. Sure there may have been missed calls both ways, but the refs definitely didn’t decide the game. Rossford was getting abused every time Perrysburg pressured the ball, hence why they had more fouls…

Rossford plays not to foul. Only playing 6 guys, you can’t afford for someone to get in foul trouble. Sure there may have been missed calls both ways, but the refs definitely didn’t decide the game. Rossford was getting abused every time Perrysburg pressured the ball, hence why they had more fouls…

I’m sure they were upset that the refs swallowed the whistle last year when Revels had a chance to tie the game at the end.

for those with BCSN Now, the Toledo - Lourdes game replay is worth your time. The locals really stood up.
What a squad that Hopson has assembled with the local talent.

Joey Holifield - Stritch -> Oakland
Little Anderson - Stritch
*Stritch legends, two of the best kids to come out of there. The two games where they played CC in 2018-2019 were classics.
Stephen Coleman Jr. - Rogers -> Hillsdale Prep
* Him and Jamiya Neal (AZ St.) were on that Rogers team that was poised to do some tourney damage before the COVID shutdown.
Brett Lauf - Napoleon -> Grand Valley
Jackie Harris - SFS -> Wayne State (wasn't he at Oakland at one point?)
Nic Borojevich - Swanton
Dominique Cole - TCC -> Siena Heights

I only need one guess to say who was leading the charge against the refs. I'm sure foul language was used as well.

Nice road trip to Arizona for the Central Catholic Fighting Irish. Beat Cleveland Heights today in the Championship game and finished the tournament 3-0. Now on to a brutal January schedule.

Paulding went 13 for 16 from 3 last night against Wauseon including 9 for 10 in the second half.
That will win you a few games. I'm not sure I've ever heard of anything like that.

Paulding went 13 for 16 from 3 last night against Wauseon including 9 for 10 in the second half.
That will win you a few games. I'm not sure I've ever heard of anything like that.

BG hit 16 of 21 last year to beat a really solid Eastwood team. That was impressive. But 13 of 16 is very efficient!

We have some down days till anyone plays again, so I thought maybe it would be a good time to get everyone’s opinions on the best coaches in NWO.
Top 3 for me in no order: Boyce, Schoen, and Vermillion at Arlington.
And let’s hear everyone’s new and up incomers.
For me I think it is simple looking at the records and tournament success - McGlaughlin @ O-G and Simpson @ Lima Senior - serious drop after those two, Boyce might make my top 10 - but he has had little success in comparison of those two mentioned - including head to head ? Stacy @ Whitmer would be my up and comer along with Floyd @ Central Catholic - even though he has been there for 4 or 5 years.

Last edited:
I'm not sure how Shoen entered the conversation, someone can give their reasons.

Floyd?ossibly. He's still getting a lot of already developed talent. Not more than other top teams I don't think. Regardless HOW it gets into the gym, I think the program is better than it was before. It's maybe not meeting the potential we would have expected 10-15 years ago. This year could tell. It's probably a bit better than other programs today with similar talent coming in. Hard to compare..

Stacy, not seeing a lot of value added yet. Still feeling his way around the high school game?

Who moves their talent along the furthest? Beyond that maybe one star on the team, who moves it along? And gets them playing as a team? That measure could be someone starting with average or lower developed talent and rising it up or really good talent and rising it up. The former we got. McDonald and Wortham both brought their programs out of obscurity. Kachmarik did it one place, can he do it at another? Now it's a matter, can they keep that level or take it another step. The latter? Starting with best players and making it state competitive? Not yet.

How is McWinnie's replacement doing?

Last edited:
If I had to take one coach from the area it would be McDonald.

If I had to pick a recruiter I'd say Kachmarik, Schoen, Floyd, Harris, Armstead, or Stacy in no particular order.

Not as a team, but I saw just a week or so ago a kid from the Cleveland area, Cornerstone Christian I believe, scored 51 points on 17-20 shooting and was 10-12 from 3.

Don't think I've ever seen anything like that as an individual performance. And he's only a Sophomore.

Not as a team, but I saw just a week or so ago a kid from the Cleveland area, Cornerstone Christian I believe, scored 51 points on 17-20 shooting and was 10-12 from 3.

Don't think I've ever seen anything like that as an individual performance. And he's only a Sophomore.
That was Babe Kwasniak's son. Kwasniak was the coach at Cleveland St Joe's for quite awhile with multiple state titles but is now at Cornerstone. The kid also had 9 assists in that game

Last edited:
If I had to take one coach from the area it would be McDonald.

If I had to pick a recruiter I'd say Kachmarik, Schoen, Floyd, Harris, Armstead, or Stacy in no particular order.
I’d take Wortham if I was building a program from the ground up. He’s a worker and a grinder and will x and o you to death.