Ohio cities ranked for percentage of adults with HS, college and graduate degrees

Unexpected ranking for blue collar Maumee.
Whitehouse and Ottawa Hills just miss the population cut-off or I'm sure they'd be at the top of our local Toledo area burbs,

Unexpected ranking for blue collar Maumee.
Whitehouse and Ottawa Hills just miss the population cut-off or I'm sure they'd be at the top of our local Toledo area burbs,
I noticed that Maumee while having one of the highest percentages of high school graduates also has among those listed has one of the lowest percentages of those with a BA and or higher.

I'd be curious as to what OH's percentage of not just college but graduate / law / med school is.

Lots of interesting stuff here. To learn more about “communities”, it would be interesting to see county-wide or SMSA breakouts.

Of note…

Three cities with 40% plus with advanced degrees…Indian Hill, Pepper Pike, Shaker
One city with 80% plus college degrees…Upper Arlington (proximity to OSU)…14 cities 70% or above on college grad
Cincinnati and Columbus with about twice as many college grads as Cleveland…a reflection of our Rust Beltiness plus a core city with fewer “nice” parts of town (though improving, I think)
Only one city with less than 10% college grad…East Liverpool

I also am surprised that the lowest high school grad cities are over 80%. I would have guessed we’d have places with a lower percentage of HS grads.

Last edited:
Expectedly, the city in which I’ve resided for the last 20+ years is in the top 10, while the city I grew up in is in the bottom 10. Hard work and education have its rewards.

Lots of interesting stuff here. To learn more about “communities”, it would be interesting to see county-wide or SMSA breakouts.

Of note…

Three cities with 40% plus with advanced degrees…Indian Hill, Pepper Pike, Shaker
One city with 80% plus college degrees…Upper Arlington (proximity to OSU)…14 cities 70% or above on college grad
Cincinnati and Columbus with about twice as many college grads as Cleveland…a reflection of our Rust Beltiness plus a core city with fewer “nice” parts of town (though improving, I think)

I also am surprised that the lowest high school grad cities are over 80%. I would have guessed we’d have places with a lower percentage of HS grads.
Columbus is three times larger in square miles than Cleveland due to absorbing surrounding communities over the years.

Picture Cleveland annexing Shaker, Cle Hts, Lakewood, Rocky River, Bay Village, Independence, etc., and it's a whole different set of stats.

Last edited:

Of note…

Brain drain.

Columbus is three times larger in square miles than Cleveland due to absorbing surrounding communities over the years.

Picture Cleveland annexing Shaker, Cle Hts, Lakewood, Rocky River, Bay Village, Independence, etc., and it's a whole different set of stats.
History took care of this. The two communities developed in different eras. I recall driving into Columbus in the 70's and 80's and seeing the city of Columbus sign on I-71 in a cornfield.

Cities like Lakewood, East Cleveland, Cl. Hts., Shaker, Brooklyn, Newburgh Hts., Cuy. Hts., Garfield, Bratenahl...coulda/shoulda been part of Cleveland (at the very least!), but the city didn't use the leverage (utilities) to accomplish this when it would have been required...in the 19th century! Columbus was able to do that more effectively...75 years later.

Brain drain.
Definitely some truth to this. However, it's the residual effect of a blue collar economy...the Rust Belt. Columbus definitely ain't The Rust Belt...and neither is Cincy.

Cleveland, Toledo...the greatest generation didn't go to college. Didn't need to; they had high paying factory jobs. But, there's a price to pay..."Dad did fine without college. So can I." These cities still have that impact on their education levels.

College is highly overrated, go deep in debt or get a job starting at 20 bucks an hr. I will take the latter.

Depends on where you plan to live. In NW Ohio, sure one can forgo college, start out at a $20 an hour job and hopefully move up. $20 and hour is $40,000 a year….that’s good money for a single person, a family of four you are struggling. A $20 an hour job in any top 30 metro in the US and you have multiple roommates and a 30+ minute commute.

A lot depends on what you are going to college for. Trade school, security/police training, fire department/EMT, nothing wrong with these paths.

The college scam is highly overrated is what I think you meant?

Targeting kids who probably are not cut out for college but felt compelled through marketing.

College itself is not overrated.
This is a typical Yappi Debate Forum comment. We could all have a discussion on the merits of college...I would even be willing to take the position that being a history major or a poli sci major could be the way to go. Someone could point out (as you did) that saying it's not for everyone is not the same as stating that it's a waste of time for all. The "one size fits all" statement not to go to college...UGH!

College is highly overrated, go deep in debt or get a job starting at 20 bucks an hr. I will take the latter.
1672698324980.png

Those cities probably have a much higher percentage of Hispanic immigrants. Many have little to know formal education. Also a community with a high Amish population would drive that number down. Most Amish have an 8th grade education.