Birds and other Animals

Touched an asian rhino on the snout that was in an enclosure. People on the other side of the enclosure got sprayed. opps, my bad. It was a habitat so I guess technically, not in the wild.

In the wild? Was walking a trail. Coming from the other way, so was a kangaroo. We nearly walked into each other. Kind of did a stare-off not daring to move. Then we both sort of slowly turned and walked around each other, without taking eyes off. At this very moment I suspect he's typing this same story into an Australian version of yappi. yappi-mate.

Hiking a trail in Denali, came across a grizzly bear. Technically, it was about a half mile down the ravine. Close enough to make my bladder twinge.

Similar experience canoeing. Came across a hippo, which wouldn't have been a nerve racking ordeal if we hadn't spent most of the morning being warned it was THE most dangerous animal (other than mosquito) to worry about.

Had some owls used to hang out at the night on the drive-way fence (until neighbor kids made them nervous and they moved). I'd stand right next to them. We'd all sway to some imaginary music.

Last edited:
A few years ago we were looking for a Rose-throated Becard reported to be nesting in the cottonwoods along the Santa Cruz River in Arizona. (That's a small bird and we were south of Tucson. The "river" would pass for a dried-up creek bed in Ohio.) I searched one way, my wife and adult son another. I had my binoculars on a sparrow on a gravel bar, waiting several minutes for it to turn so I could see it's face or chest and ID it. Song Sparrow, very common, but in the desert a much paler bird than what we see in Ohio. I dropped my binoculars to see the hindquarters of a very large cat with a very long tail disappear into the tall grass away from the water. Mountain lion, 60-65 feet away.

Many years ago we were camping at a state park near Copper Harbor in the UP. (West of the Soo, on the northern edge of the Keweenaw Peninsula.) In the early morning my wife got up to use the restroom, came back and reported someone's large dog wandering around. Not too long after that we hear a little noise and folks talking at the campsite next to ours. Whatever, back to sleep. During breakfast our neighbors asked if we had any duct tape. A black bear had bitten their cooler. My wife looked at me and said, "It did seem like a big dog."

We look forward to seeing this guy migrate through our area every year. He hangs around for a few days eating at our bird boxes.

A few years ago we were looking for a Rose-throated Becard reported to be nesting in the cottonwoods along the Santa Cruz River in Arizona. (That's a small bird and we were south of Tucson. The "river" would pass for a dried-up creek bed in Ohio.) I searched one way, my wife and adult son another. I had my binoculars on a sparrow on a gravel bar, waiting several minutes for it to turn so I could see it's face or chest and ID it. Song Sparrow, very common, but in the desert a much paler bird than what we see in Ohio. I dropped my binoculars to see the hindquarters of a very large cat with a very long tail disappear into the tall grass away from the water. Mountain lion, 60-65 feet away.

Many years ago we were camping at a state park near Copper Harbor in the UP. (West of the Soo, on the northern edge of the Keweenaw Peninsula.) In the early morning my wife got up to use the restroom, came back and reported someone's large dog wandering around. Not too long after that we hear a little noise and folks talking at the campsite next to ours. Whatever, back to sleep. During breakfast our neighbors asked if we had any duct tape. A black bear had bitten their cooler. My wife looked at me and said, "It did seem like a big dog."
We lived in Northeast Tucson for a few years before moving to Ohio. Wildlife in the desert is awesome. We had frequent visits at our home from javalina, coyotes, road runners, and various snakes and lizards. While hiking in the Superstition Mountains near Apache Jct, I have encountered rattlesnakes and gila monsters on many occasions.

This past summer we went to Alaska to watch our son play for the Anchorage Glacier Pilots of the Alaska Baseball League (Pilots alumni include Aaron Judge, Randy Johnson, Mark McGuire, Aaron Boone, and current Guardians player Will Brennan). Hiking there we ran across a pair of black bear cubs (thankfully momma was not close), and several moose. The moose are amazing animals to see in person.
20220708_132149.jpg

I was on the coast at Acadia National Park 15-20 years ago when I heard a commotion above me. I looked up to see a bald eagle and peregrine falcon fighting and tumbling in mid-air high above me. Apparently, the bald eagle had come a little too close to the falcon nest and the falcon was a little perturbed. They disengaged a couple of times and as the eagle tried to get out of there, the falcon dived bombed him another couple of times and they continued the battle. It was like some feature on NatGeo. At about half the size of the eagle the falcon was clearly the bad-@$$ in that fight.

6 or 7 years ago I had some large bird in my backyard after a snow storm, hanging out on the ground by a bird feeder. I went out with my snow shovel to see what it was and it was a peregrine. He just stared me down as I got closer. Like the falcon above, he knew he'd be the bad-@$$ in that fight. He didn't see for to take off until I got to within about 10 feet of him and slammed the shovel in the snow.

We lived in Northeast Tucson for a few years before moving to Ohio. Wildlife in the desert is awesome. We had frequent visits at our home from javalina, coyotes, road runners, and various snakes and lizards. While hiking in the Superstition Mountains near Apache Jct, I have encountered rattlesnakes and gila monsters on many occasions.

This past summer we went to Alaska to watch our son play for the Anchorage Glacier Pilots of the Alaska Baseball League (Pilots alumni include Aaron Judge, Randy Johnson, Mark McGuire, Aaron Boone, and current Guardians player Will Brennan). Hiking there we ran across a pair of black bear cubs (thankfully momma was not close), and several moose. The moose are amazing animals to see in person.View attachment 37482

As a teen, got sent away to summer program in the 10 thou lakes area of Minn. Canoeing we saw a moose head sticking out of the water. Oh cute, started paddling towards moose head. Moose starts stepping out of water. We start paddling the other way. Fricken bigazzed animals.

Last edited:
Jogging my memory with these stories. Took a fishing trip to Canada about 15 years ago. We were fishing a small inlet that connected two lakes. Jon boats with 5hp kickers. Had our stringer hanging off side of boat. Heard a splash and looked behind us. Big black bear decided to cross 10 yards from us. Youngest Son wasn't excited about that. We decided to head back to cottage after that. It was time for dinner.

Forgot to get the stringer of fish. Went back a few hours later to get fish. Turtles had a feast. Learned a lesson about leaving fish alone. We did see some Moose grazing on the shores.

This past summer we went to Alaska to watch our son play for the Anchorage Glacier Pilots of the Alaska Baseball League (Pilots alumni include Aaron Judge, Randy Johnson, Mark McGuire, Aaron Boone, and current Guardians player Will Brennan). Hiking there we ran across a pair of black bear cubs (thankfully momma was not close), and several moose. The moose are amazing animals to see in person.View attachment 37482

Weird how that works? Hippos are more deadly than lions.

I was on the coast at Acadia National Park 15-20 years ago when I heard a commotion above me. I looked up to see a bald eagle and peregrine falcon fighting and tumbling in mid-air high above me. Apparently, the bald eagle had come a little too close to the falcon nest and the falcon was a little perturbed. They disengaged a couple of times and as the eagle tried to get out of there, the falcon dived bombed him another couple of times and they continued the battle. It was like some feature on NatGeo. At about half the size of the eagle the falcon was clearly the bad-@$$ in that fight.

6 or 7 years ago I had some large bird in my backyard after a snow storm, hanging out on the ground by a bird feeder. I went out with my snow shovel to see what it was and it was a peregrine. He just stared me down as I got closer. Like the falcon above, he knew he'd be the bad-@$$ in that fight. He didn't see for to take off until I got to within about 10 feet of him and slammed the shovel in the snow.
I spent some time working at DTE in Monroe years ago which is one of the largest coal fired plants in the country. They used to have 800ft. stacks and six story buildings. On occasion you would find splayed open pigeons on the steel of the building (half eaten fish remains as well). On special occasions you would see a flock of pigeons flying and then all of a sudden there would be a poof of feathers as the falcon would dive at amazing speed and pick one off. Amazing birds.

Last edited:
Rodrigo the Red-winged Blackbird.jpg

Here is a photo of three unique birds together in one photo. A couple years ago, went outside and looked up to see a Bald Eagle above our pond being tormented by the Red-Winged Black Bird. The Black Bird actually landed on the Eagle momentarily mid-flight. They landed in the rear of our yard and I got a quick photo. Where is the third bird? Look in the clutches of the Eagle and you'll see a juvenile Canadian Goose, aka lunch.

Seen many of the above North American animals. Craziest in person is a moose, I saw one with a huge rack and a big body on the skinniest looking legs. Had no clue how it balanced its self on those things.

But the big thing that I have noticed in the wildlife category is the amount I see in a highly urban environment. Deer freely roam in Cleveland these days with kids going up toand petting in many instances. And just this week heading up to Ann Arbor I saw a coyote in an exit off of 75 in Toledo. I guess this is what you get when folks build McMansions in the suburbs.

Had some owls used to hang out at the night on the drive-way fence (until neighbor kids made them nervous and they moved). I'd stand right next to them. We'd all sway to some imaginary music.
Lol. My favorite sighting on here so far.

Y'all are some loyal Cabela's customers, I can tell. Can't say I have any real exotic encounters. We had a brown bat hibernating outside at work a year ago, exposed. He was tucked in the corner where the concrete met the outside wall, could just barely see the top of his head and ears, and his slow breathing ever few seconds. Apparently they can survive winters outside if they're not disturbed.

15 years ago at a WV family reunion in a state park, a baby deer strolled out of the woods and came up to our picnic shelter like he belonged there. We adults cautiously supervised, but he allowed all the kids to pet him. We suspect he'd done that before, and enjoyed the attention. Fortunately, Bambi's mother or father never came to investigate.

Seen many of the above North American animals. Craziest in person is a moose, I saw one with a huge rack and a big body on the skinniest looking legs. Had no clue how it balanced its self on those things.

But the big thing that I have noticed in the wildlife category is the amount I see in a highly urban environment. Deer freely roam in Cleveland these days with kids going up toand petting in many instances. And just this week heading up to Ann Arbor I saw a coyote in an exit off of 75 in Toledo. I guess this is what you get when folks build McMansions in the suburbs.
There are a lot more geese, deer, and eagles in Ohio than there were 50 years ago and coyote did not exist.

At the same time there are a lot fewer pheasant, quail, and other stuff.

I think it's got something to do with cell phones, or maybe Title IX.

Something.

We look forward to seeing this guy migrate through our area every year. He hangs around for a few days eating at our bird boxes.

Yes, those are pretty birds. We have them very briefly as well. I have about two dozen fairly frequent species.

There are a lot more geese, deer, and eagles in Ohio than there were 50 years ago and coyote did not exist.

At the same time there are a lot fewer pheasant, quail, and other stuff.

I think it's got something to do with cell phones, or maybe Title IX.

Something.
Jackelopes too, man those things were everywhere when I was growing up, but I believe the blizzard of `78 pretty much wiped them out.

Near misses are something I remember. I don't know how many times I'd get back to the boat after a dive, listen to others talk about the large sea turtle they saw or sea-ray. Turtles are near my favorite animal and I never saw a sea turtle outside the zoo and only small rays.

I'm thinking the most exotic I've seen probably... a family had built small reed cottages on their little island, one person a day would go to the main land and troll for customers. I bit, they took me out in a row boat with a small motor. It was exactly that, a one room shack built of bamboo and walls of woven reeds. Had a nice cot, a pot for tea. They brought food. Manioc, fruit, tin fish and rice. Had a little landscaping with WWII plane part under a palm. Not much to do past a little out-rigger you could paddle. At night, there were no lights, made my way through the island to the outhouse. Heard a deep "whooop,...whooop,.....whooop" and felt a brush of air on my head. Then again. I figured the little kids who were amused by the white guy, playing around or told to amuse the tourist. Next morning I noticed them up in the trees. Their bats have about a 6 ft wing span.

Jackelopes too, man those things were everywhere when I was growing up, but I believe the blizzard of `78 pretty much wiped them out.

They taste a lot like snipe. Always still hungry after that meal though.

I actually ate the Easter bunny.
My older sisters got a young rabbit and put it in my easter basket when I was 6 or 7, they pretty much convince me he had laid them eggs under him in the basket.
Had a little cage for him next to shed and I raised him for another month or so...figuring it out along the way, I then helped dad butcher him and prepare for supper. Yummy bunny, not as good as his eggs but tasty.

We have a red-tailed hawk that spends a lot of time in our backyard munching on mourning doves. On day I noticed him having a meal, so I walked up to get a good pic of him, and he let me get within 3-4'. He never moved and just kept eating.
Sits on our roof and feeds on occasional Cardinals, Wrens and Doves. We watch them eat in our trees. Bluejays sound the alarm when the Hawks are around.

Near misses are something I remember. I don't know how many times I'd get back to the boat after a dive, listen to others talk about the large sea turtle they saw or sea-ray. Turtles are near my favorite animal and I never saw a sea turtle outside the zoo and only small rays.
We were blessed to see a huge loggerhead this year. It was while we were mahi mahi fishing. We were about 20 miles from Marathon Key in the Atlantic. It was smaller than a VW, but not much. This one had a few barnacles on him. We would have never seen it if our Captain hadn't. Those guys have Sea eyes.

Sits on our roof and feeds on occasional Cardinals, Wrens and Doves. We watch them eat in our trees. Bluejays sound the alarm when the Hawks are around.
We've had Red-tailed in our yard, and once bounced off the side of the house chasing a bird. BOOM!

Normally they are open country bird and most of their diet is rodents.

We were blessed to see a huge loggerhead this year. It was while we were mahi mahi fishing. We were about 20 miles from Marathon Key in the Atlantic. It was smaller than a VW, but not much. This one had a few barnacles on him. We would have never seen it if our Captain hadn't. Those guys have Sea eyes.
Sometimes you can tell can't you? When you've found someone not just trying to drum up business but make your experience like no other. Had a couple dive masters like that and they were always independent, not part of some big company. Own boat. Own family helping out. As soon as you were on boat, you were family. Which generally meant, you had a chore, lol.

Last edited: