Parkway Football Coach Resigns

THIS WILL ALL CHANGE SINCE THE CARDINALS WON THE OHSAA TOURNAMENT.

1671728870380.png

Parkway better get going and invest some $ in the new coach Win that OHSAA Tournament $1,000,000 cash prize.
1671729489669.png

I could be wrong, but it feels like there is a difference in genetic makeup and athleticism in Southern Mercer County & Auglaize County. New Bremen has the Homan names and such like ML, FR, CW, and such. Not many if any on Parkway district to my knowledge. Definitely not in the small portion of the district in Van Wert County.
I think Parkway has some good genetics, they always seem to have a stud on the team. I think the main struggle is to get good numbers playing and those athletes in the weight room to maximize their capabilities. I think a new coach changing that at Parkway has a little more of a challenge doing that then other coaches in the MAC. Although Van Wert seems to be getting it done.

Last edited:
I think Parkway has some good genetics, they always seem to have a stud on the team. I think the main struggle is to get good numbers playing and those athletes in the weight room to maximize their capabilities. I think a new coach changing that at Parkway has a little more of a challenge doing that then other coaches in the MAC. Although Van Wert seems to be getting it done.
"A stud" you mentioned but not plural it seems to be the case most years.

"A stud" you mentioned but not plural it seems to be the case most years.
Well, NB had a stud in Homan and the rest of the team was a bunch of mature boys that worked hard in the off season and put the team 1st. They had luck with staying healthy also.

Maybe this is a stretch, but here goes:

In the 2019 season, Parkway hosted ML in week 3. That ML team had few returners and had just gotten waxed 31-7 (I think that was the score) by a private school east of Columbus - can't recall the name - Hoying kid was the private's qb I believe.

Parkway was 2-0 (or maybe 1-1) and there was talk that the Panthers might give the "subpar" Flyers a real challenge.

But Marion played superbly and thoroughly dominated. It didn't help Parkway that Nick Hawk played maybe only 2/3 of the total snaps and got only a few touches on offense (health issue unrelated to football).

My son and I sat in general admission on the Parkway home bleachers - two quiet Flyer fans surrounded by Panther folks. My point is that while the Panthers were getting blasted, nearly all of their fans remained as calm as could be. They did not appear to be dismayed nor disappointed by the schooling their team was getting.

A goodly number of Marion fans, by contrast, wail loudly and stridently demand better of their team when the opponent gets a rare first down during the 4th qtr of a running-clock contest. Their expectations are really high - probably unrealistically high.

So anyway, I think the community expectations can have a significant impact on a hs football program, and maybe Parkway suffers from this a little.

sidebar: someone mentioned earlier about Goodwin going to Parkway - I have for years wondered how that would turn out ... it would be cool if Parkway football could suddenly rise dramatically bc of such a development

Last edited:

In the 2019 season, Parkway hosted ML in week 3. That ML team had few returners and had just gotten waxed 31-7 (I think that was the score) by a private school east of Columbus - can't recall the name - Hoying kid was the private's qb I believe.

Parkway was 2-0 (or maybe 1-1) and there was talk that the Panthers might give the "subpar" Flyers a real challenge.

But Marion played superbly and thoroughly dominated. It didn't help Parkway that Nick Hawk played maybe only 2/3 of the total snaps and got only a few touches on offense (health issue unrelated to football).

My son and I sat in general admission on the Parkway home bleachers - two quiet Flyer fans surrounded by Panther folks. My point is that while the Panthers were getting blasted, nearly all of their fans remained as calm as could be. They did not appear to be dismayed nor disappointed by the schooling their team was getting.

A goodly number of Marion fans, by contrast, wail loudly and stridently demand better of their team when the opponent gets a rare first down during the 4th qtr of a running-clock contest. Their expectations are really high - probably unrealistically high.

So anyway, I think the community expectations can have a significant impact on a hs football program, and maybe Parkway suffers from this a little.

sidebar: someone mentioned earlier about Goodwin going to Parkway - I have for years wondered how that would turn out ... it would be cool if Parkway football could suddenly rise dramatically bc of such a development
This is what I'm talking about as well. Football just doesn't mean that much to them. Now if it was a baseball game, the Panther faithful would be ticked. Remember half or more of my genetics are from Parkway blood. If you head west on Ohio 81 out of Willshire into Indiana 124, those folks are almost the rest of my genetics. They will be like those Marion Local folks who eat, breathe, & sleep small school football (wrestling to an extent as well). Even the other Indiana neighbors to Parkway from Ohio 707 turning into Indiana 218 have really embraced football more than the Panthers. Not sure anyone across the line would be interested in turning it around in Rockford due to the conference schedule.

While I can't deny that community expectations for Parkway are probably lacking, the idea that their fans remained calm while getting their teeth kicked in by the best football program in the state might not be the best example. I know it might be hard to see the viewpoint from another's, but many take their lumps from Marion Local in stride. There's often not much you can do about it, so the logical and rational fans don't get too riled up when it happens.

Any idea how many people applied for the job? They stop taking applications this week.
Be curious to see. Probably not enough people that visit Gridiron Digest (Indiana's equivalent to here) but the Parkway job is sort of similar to the Southern Wells job. Though Parkway is probably more competitive than Southern Wells. Sad really as Southern Wells ended my playing career with some really good teams. They won state in 2001 and should have done so in 2000 instead of us. They wanted to make a statement of finally beating us in the playoffs and fumbled instead of taking a knee. We kicked the game winner and won state 3 weeks later. Now Southern Wells can barely field a team and did do JV only a few years back. Similar to Parkway, they look for nonconference victories to find wins. The coaches that take both jobs will have tough tasks.

Didn't Southern Wells cancel a season a few years ago? They're a borderline 8 man candidate. And that would open the door for Parkway in the ACAC if they boot Southern Wells.

Didn't Southern Wells cancel a season a few years ago? They're a borderline 8 man candidate. And that would open the door for Parkway in the ACAC if they boot Southern Wells.
They played JV one year. They had football numbers that year but were all Freshmen. ACAC has an opening with 7 teams only right now including Southern Wells. Rumor is Blackhawk Christian may join as they played 8 man this past year and will go 11 man this year. How would playoff points work if Parkway played in an Indiana conference?

They'd figure out the sizes of each school and figure out what OHSAA division they would be equivalent to and go from there. Then it's about the record and as far as I know the week 10 playoff games in Indiana count towards Harbin points.

They'd figure out the sizes of each school and figure out what OHSAA division they would be equivalent to and go from there. Then it's about the record and as far as I know the week 10 playoff games in Indiana count towards Harbin points.
Let's sign up Parkway & Crestview to the ACAC and make it easy on myself 🤣. Reduce the travel quite a bit, though MAC travel isn't too bad. The NWC though puts the miles on the vehicles.

the way some talk, the former coach was in favor of Parkway leaving the MAC, so he's probably happier with some of the thinking from many in this thread.
i have never heard that the former coach thought that? where did this info come from?

i would think there are some very capable assistants from the MAC to do the job
I think you're correct, but I don't really blame any of the prior coaching from an on the field standpoint. You need to get a guy who will give the adults as well as the kids in the community a reason to support the sport. I'm not sure Goodwin could do it right now.

The school board still in shambles like it was during the wrestling saga? A lot to be fixed over there if so.
that was crap. a coach kept giving nazi salutes at practices and then raised a stink when someone didn't like it. that's on the moron, not the school board.