Toledo Area Basketball 22-23

Defiance is the 2nd best team in the WBL this year. They're the only ones who can beat OG and already beat St. Mary's and their (overrated) OSU recruit. Only loss so far was in OT against Rossford.

Yes, a lot of the TRAC would struggle with them this year. We'll see if I look like an idiot after St. Francis plays in our tournament this week and later in the year when we play Whitmer.

I think there’s a good chance that the Central Catholic game on Friday gets canceled with the impending storm. Very cold and very windy with several inches of snow is not a good formula to have a game. Which will be a shame because I think it could be a really good game.
Definitely will be a proving ground (along with tonight’s Findlay game for CC). Hopefully it gets played.

CC has surprised me with how well they have shot from three, with Langford, Brennamen, and KJ having stepped up a lot compared to their roles last year. Clark has also stepped up, especially as a starter. I can see what East means about his basketball skill. Leach is definitely on the cusp of having a breakout year.

Definitely will be a proving ground (along with tonight’s Findlay game for CC). Hopefully it gets played.

CC has surprised me with how well they have shot from three, with Langford, Brennamen, and KJ having stepped up a lot compared to their roles last year. Clark has also stepped up, especially as a starter. I can see what East means about his basketball skill. Leach is definitely on the cusp of having a breakout year.

Not good for Rossford - I think their one shot at beating Central would be a 4-25 kind of night from three for the Irish allowing Rossford to sit in their zone...kind of like how the Rossford girls beat Central in the tournament a couple of years ago.

Last edited:
Not good for Rossford - I think there one shot at beating Central would be a 4-25 kind of night from three for the Irish allowing Rossford to sit in their zone...kind of like how the Rossford girls beat Central in the tournament a couple of years ago.
Did that same Rossford girls team also have Sammi Mikonowicz too? I’m sure she helped lol.

My one concern is probably Vorst, considering he has about 4-5 inches on the tallest Irish players. I will say both teams have come a long way since that 2021 district semifinal. I’d love to see them match up again.

Fremont Ross game vs. Greater Latrobe moved from Thursday to Wednesday. JV 6pm.

Findlay vs. Greater Latrobe moved from Friday to Thursday. JV 3pm.

Last edited:
Did that same Rossford girls team also have Sammi Mikonowicz too? I’m sure she helped lol.

My one concern is probably Vorst, considering he has about 4-5 inches on the tallest Irish players. I will say both teams have come a long way since that 2021 district semifinal. I’d love to see them match up again.

Yes. With all due respect to the rest of the girls, she pretty much did it all: rebounded, brought the ball up, took every shot or passed the ball for others to shoot so she could rebound. Katie Glowacki was a solid HS player, but she was only a sophomore.

Sammi would grab a defensive rebound, dribble the length of the floor and lay it in - usually two or three steps ahead of the other team. Never seen anything like it.

My recollection of that game is that Central missed a ton of outside shots.

Saw Perrysburg in person for 1st time last night.

They are legit. Will be interesting to watch them continue to evolve and grow over the season.
Granted, they didn’t play a very strong team in Wauseon, but they are definitely legit. Anything is possible and they could have a really bad shooting night but I just don’t see anyone in the NLL beating them this year. But the NLL isn’t really all that good this year overall, so the real test is going to be how they do in the tournament. Anything less than a district title will be a disappointing season.

I just saw this last night in the Whitmer-Clay game. Running clock once up 35 in the second half? I like the rule. How long has it been a thing?
And you have to get it down to at least 30 or under before it’s back to a regular stopped clock. The game last night got to 35 points about a minute into the second half. It’s amazing how fast a basketball game goes when it’s a running clock.

Just saw it was rescheduled for Saturday January 14th
Correct. Glad they’ll still be able to play it. Looks like it’ll be right after CC plays Clay and Perrysburg plays Napoleon the night before, so I won’t think the legs will be too sore come Saturday.

We have some down days till anyone plays again, so I thought maybe it would be a good time to get everyone’s opinions on the best coaches in NWO.
Top 3 for me in no order: Boyce, Schoen, and Vermillion at Arlington.
And let’s hear everyone’s new and up incomers.

We have some down days till anyone plays again, so I thought maybe it would be a good time to get everyone’s opinions on the best coaches in NWO.
Top 3 for me in no order: Boyce, Schoen, and Vermillion at Arlington.
And let’s hear everyone’s new and up incomers.
Old guard:
McDonald, Northview
Burt, Wauseon
James, Huron
Kinn, Columbian
Hoover, Old Fort
Otterbacher, Calvert
Lindsay, Ottawa Hills
McGlaughlin, Ottawa Glandorf

New “up and comers”:
Boris, Toledo Christian
Stacey, Whitmer
Frank, Archbold
Lehman, Defiance

Probably missing a few from both groups.

When did McDonald become "old guard?" Is he shaving yet? Damn, time passes fast.
I'd add Wortham. X's and O's, gets a lot from his less skilled and height challenged players. They don't stop on D. His teams are what we talk about missing, even if he's not molding that top raw talent. He'd be my first grab if I had an opening in a bigger program.

When did McDonald become "old guard?" Is he shaving yet? Damn, time passes fast.
I'd add Wortham. X's and O's, gets a lot from his less skilled and height challenged players. They don't stop on D. His teams are what we talk about missing, even if he's not molding that top raw talent. He'd be my first grab if I had an opening in a bigger program.

McDonald in year 8 already. And good call with Wortham. Missed him. He always gets a lot out of his teams.

Lehman and Frank have both done great jobs of carrying on the tradition at there schools. I've always thought that Burt gets as much as anyone out of his teams. I forget what the exact numbers are but I read that Wauseon has won at least 17 games or more for 8 straight years or something like that. Wauseon always plays a tough schedule also. OG has as much player talent as anyone in this part of the state year in and year out but McGlaughlin has been really good. It seems like we see OG at state every year 'which is amazing for a public school. I will be interested to see Hieber at PH and how he does. They seem to be on the rise and sound like they have talent for years to come.

Some interesting small school non-conference scores from tonight:

Toledo Christian 61 Ayersville 52 (TC w/o a senior starter tonight)
Genoa 57 Old Fort 46 (OF was previously unbeaten)
Archbold 62 Eastwood 59
Margaretta 67 Port Clinton 58 (Marg. w/o top scorer)

Some interesting small school non-conference scores from tonight:

Toledo Christian 61 Ayersville 52 (TC w/o a senior starter tonight)
Genoa 57 Old Fort 46 (OF was previously unbeaten)
Archbold 62 Eastwood 59
Margaretta 67 Port Clinton 58 (Marg. w/o top scorer)
Is that Archbold/Eastwood score correct? I thought Eastwood was a pretty solid team...this is the least-talented Archbold Team I have watched in a long time...like back to the couple of lean years after their '96 State Runner-Up team.