Ohio Heritage Conference 2023

ghsknightsfan

love the Knights and Grey Ghosts!
as promised to some, i would get this thread going after the state finals.

who are the favorites in the north/south?

are there any major coaching changes?

Hey all, hope everyone is well. North will be interesting. West Jeff, Burg, and WLS all return a boat load. Northeastern is here to stay (I think), but have a lot of holes to fill. Fairbanks will be tough, losing Brogan Green but having Ryker Green back. Triad has maybe the best back in the league returning; I did just hear they got rid of their coach though???

South should be Greeneview's to lose. Cooper Payton seems like the leading candidate for breakout player of the year next year. Cedarville was perhaps the youngest team in the OHC last year. They're my sleeper pick. Southeastern was young and should be tough too. Greenon lost a lot for the second straight season and will need a good offseason. Catholic Central, who seemed destined to be back on track for the 2023 season, seems to have lost just about everyone with the exception of Kamara.

Top 4 rushers are all returning next year; Mitchell (Triad), Kamara (SCC), McGill (WLS), Roland (Burg). Buescher seems on track to set some records his brother set.

Next year is set up to be one of the most balanced and tough seasons in recent OHC history. A lot of young players across the board got their feet wet in a pretty successful 2022 campaign, and some of the top players in the league were sophomores and juniors (even a handful of freshmen).

Going to be a weird one for me next year, having a senior. 256 days until kickoff. See y'all in the fall!

Hey all, hope everyone is well. North will be interesting. West Jeff, Burg, and WLS all return a boat load. Northeastern is here to stay (I think), but have a lot of holes to fill. Fairbanks will be tough, losing Brogan Green but having Ryker Green back. Triad has maybe the best back in the league returning; I did just hear they got rid of their coach though???

South should be Greeneview's to lose. Cooper Payton seems like the leading candidate for breakout player of the year next year. Cedarville was perhaps the youngest team in the OHC last year. They're my sleeper pick. Southeastern was young and should be tough too. Greenon lost a lot for the second straight season and will need a good offseason. Catholic Central, who seemed destined to be back on track for the 2023 season, seems to have lost just about everyone with the exception of Kamara.

Top 4 rushers are all returning next year; Mitchell (Triad), Kamara (SCC), McGill (WLS), Roland (Burg). Buescher seems on track to set some records his brother set.

Next year is set up to be one of the most balanced and tough seasons in recent OHC history. A lot of young players across the board got their feet wet in a pretty successful 2022 campaign, and some of the top players in the league were sophomores and juniors (even a handful of freshmen).

Going to be a weird one for me next year, having a senior. 256 days until kickoff. See y'all in the fall!
enjoy the experience of having that Senior boy play........ let me know how many times you say... "boy, that went fast"

after watching the Burg play Minster this year, i thought a lot of young kids were playing for them that night

i think Cedarville will surprise many. they have a very talented senior class.

i think Greeneview will take a step back, but the Payton kid is going to be a task for everyone on the schedule.

if Greenon wins 4 games next year, it will be a successful year. the current talent pool is just a little dry but heard the middle school team had some nice players with a lot of potential. i would expect them to be fairly competitive again in 2 years.

i think WLS Color makes a great point. there are no obvious front runners in the league for next year. seems to be a lot of balance. it’s hard to make picks in each division for next year. right now i’ll go:

North- West Jeff. QB will be a star so i think this team has the most upside.

South- Greeneview. they will take a step back but they have their QB back as well as the RB Payton. i suspect they will try to win a lot of games depending on Payton, which isn’t a terrible strategy IMO as they did it with his older brother a few years back. i think Cedarville and SE will be able to match the rams next year but getting over the hump of beating Greeneview is very big for those schools.

i think WLS Color makes a great point. there are no obvious front runners in the league for next year. seems to be a lot of balance. it’s hard to make picks in each division for next year. right now i’ll go:

North- West Jeff. QB will be a star so i think this team has the most upside.

South- Greeneview. they will take a step back but they have their QB back as well as the RB Payton. i suspect they will try to win a lot of games depending on Payton, which isn’t a terrible strategy IMO as they did it with his older brother a few years back. i think Cedarville and SE will be able to match the rams next year but getting over the hump of beating Greeneview is very big for those schools.
Greenview: Pretty sure their QB was a senior. They had another QB that played some too that was a sophomore(#2). But yeah, GV loses 14 seniors. Sophomore class for them is very talented. They'll be juniors next year, so I expect them to still be very tough.

Greenview: Pretty sure their QB was a senior. They had another QB that played some too that was a sophomore(#2). But yeah, GV loses 14 seniors. Sophomore class for them is very talented. They'll be juniors next year, so I expect them to still be very tough.
towards the back half of the year they moved the sophomore (#2) to QB full time and the senior (#3) to halfback i believe. so i think #2 got a ton of reps.

saw New Bremen and Mechanicsburg both have week 2 open. hope they can get together and play. the only way Burg will get over the inevitable MAC barrier in the playoffs is by seeing them more often.

Any ideas on the Triad job? Anyone who might have their name in the mix? Or is there an internal promotion expected there?

Any ideas on the Triad job? Anyone who might have their name in the mix? Or is there an internal promotion expected there?
i would expect an outside hire. Triad needs to bring in a quality guy who is committed to staying 4-5 years. you can’t develop a culture and build a program in 2 years. the OHC North is a tough division but Triad does not completely lack talent by any means.

bringing in an assistant from a school like Marysville, London, Jonathan Alder, or Bellefontaine seems ideal.

i would expect an outside hire. Triad needs to bring in a quality guy who is committed to staying 4-5 years. you can’t develop a culture and build a program in 2 years. the OHC North is a tough division but Triad does not completely lack talent by any means.

bringing in an assistant from a school like Marysville, London, Jonathan Alder, or Bellefontaine seems ideal.
Or steal one from Mechanicsburg? LOL j/k

Greeneview (week 1), Catholic Central (week 1), and Mechanicsburg (week 2) all still have open dates on the schedule. wonder who they will play? any speculation?

There seems to be a lot of open games in the first two weeks throughout the state but to keep these schools within earshot:

Week 1.
Greenview and Dayton Northridge. This is a team Greenview can beat and get points since their, NR, schedule is less than stellar. Riverside DVII beat them last year and IMO Greenview is a step above Riverside.

SCC and Cincinnati North College Hill. This may seem odd but NCH had around 25 kids on the roster last year. Yes, they have some athletes and yes, they are DV but they are way over their heads in their conference and this would be a good measuring stick for SCC.

Week 2.
To me the obvious would be Mechanicsburg and New Bremen and we know how Mechanicsburg loves the MAC, lol

I know this is a OHC thread but they are kissing cousins to the CBC and I love seeing the crossover. Shawnee rehashed their first two weeks and I think it would have been good to see them line up against Greenview week 1 and Mechanicsburg Week 2 instead of Stebbins and Madeira. I understand why Shawnee does this but local teams have a lot to offer and God knows GV and Mech would be a bigger draw than Stebbins and Madeira.

I miss the years gone by with those week 1 slobber knockers of SCC and Shawnee

Last edited:
There seems to be a lot of open games in the first two weeks throughout the state but to keep these schools within earshot:

Week 1.
Greenview and Dayton Northridge. This is a team Greenview can beat and get points since their, NR, schedule is less than stellar. Riverside DVII beat them last year and IMO Greenview is a step above Riverside.

SCC and Cincinnati North College Hill. This may seem odd but NCH had around 25 kids on the roster last year. Yes, they have some athletes and yes, they are DV but they are way over their heads in their conference and this would be a good measuring stick for SCC.

Week 2.
To me the obvious would be Mechanicsburg and New Bremen and we know how Mechanicsburg loves the MAC, lol

I know this is a OHC thread but they are kissing cousins to the CBC and I love seeing the crossover. Shawnee rehashed their first two weeks and I think it would have been good to see them line up against Greenview week 1 and Mechanicsburg Week 2 instead of Stebbins and Madeira. I understand why Shawnee does this but local teams have a lot to offer and God knows GV and Mech would be a bigger draw than Stebbins and Madeira.

I miss the years gone by with those week 1 slobber knockers of SCC and Shawnee
i think you were 3/3 on your guesses!

Shawnees’ schedule isn’t bad IMO. they win both and the harbins will be great as Stebbins should be .500 as a D2 team in the MVL and Madeira shoukdnt go worse than 7-3/6-4 in the CHL as D5.

in terms of gate, Mechanicsburg and Greeneview vs Shawnee would be killer. those are 2 matchups i’ve wanted to see for awhile. we need some more CBC/OHC crossovers in general.

i remember Shawnee used to load up the OOC schedule, if i’m not mistaken. a lot of GWOC teams including Springfield High at one point? too bad Central has fallen off so much. that “south side” rivalry sure was a good one for awhile.

I know I’m biased,I played and coached and watched Central-Shawnee all those years and I thought it was the best local rivalry. Central more than held their own and crowd’s were great. Kids that had gone off to college often made this the first weekend back home so crowd’s would stand three and four deep around the field.

I know I’m biased,I played and coached and watched Central-Shawnee all those years and I thought it was the best local rivalry. Central more than held their own and crowd’s were great. Kids that had gone off to college often made this the first weekend back home so crowd’s would stand three and four deep around the field.
i can only imagine that crowd would pack Hallinean.

Shawnee showing no class and scoring 80+ on a Central team with less than 20 players put an end to that series.

Shawnee showing no class and scoring 80+ on a Central team with less than 20 players put an end to that series.
That was not a very good year for SCC. If I remember correctly they got beat by a lot by everyone.

BTW, didn't SCC beat Greenview 85-8 in 2005, Cedarville 63-0 and Triad 62-7 in 2007? Pot-Kettle kind of thing...dont you think?

Last edited:
I was at the game. They were playing Freshman by the beginning of the 4th. There was only so much they could do when handing the ball off every play is still resulting in scoring. And having played in this rivalry myself, there was a lot of bad blood on both sides so please don't make it sound like Shawnee has no class and Central is Jesus incarnate.