Toledo Area Basketball 22-23

Did you anticipate the margin?
I honestly thought it would be something like this. I knew they would keep it close, which they did for 3 Q’s, but Perrysburg just wore them down and dominated them in the fourth quarter. Pburg won every Q but was only up 6 going to the 4Q…mostly due to some unusually poor shooting. But they dialed up the D and went on a 17-3 to close it out in the 4Q. Ended up shooting 51%.

Anthony Wayne’s non conference schedule is brutal. EC, Whitmer, Columbian, Maple Heights, even Toledo Christian is a tough game. Not many teams around playing a schedule like that.
TCC non conference slate includes Akron SVSM, Trotwood-Madison, Pburg, a tough 3-game tournament out west in Arizona including Cleveland Heights, and Start.

Perrysburg 81
Walnut Ridge 74

Final/OT

Previously I posted that Walnut Ridge was 2-2. Actually MaxPreps was wrong as they actually beat Westerville Central and were actually 4-1 (only loss to Africentric). Their PG is really good. Scored 38....he's only 5-9 but is quick as lightning and finishes really well. Can also hit a step back 3 from deep. Really tough guard. I heard in the loss to Africentric he shot 39 times. They don't have too much other than him, but they should finish with a pretty respectable W-L record this year.

The Schulz kid for Pburg scored 33 on 11-16 shooting (9-13 from 3).

Last edited:
Looking through the district assignments, it looks like D2 Lake will be fairly different.

Bryan, Central Catholic, Clyde, Maumee, Otsego, Port Clinton, Rogers, Rossford, Scott, Wauseon, Woodward (11)

No sign of Sandusky or Columbian. Did both get moved away or did they go down divisions?

Looking through the district assignments, it looks like D2 Lake will be fairly different.

Bryan, Central Catholic, Clyde, Maumee, Otsego, Port Clinton, Rogers, Rossford, Scott, Wauseon, Woodward (11)

No sign of Sandusky or Columbian. Did both get moved away or did they go down divisions?
Columbian moved up to D1.
Sandusky is in the D2 Ashland District.

Last edited:
Yes I thought maybe was a recruiting violation but been hearing way more serious accusations between Coach and player during a game last week.
It is obvious you really love the coach and players from EC. Maybe hold off on ASSUMING things until you get storyline straight

Perrysburg 81
Walnut Ridge 74

Final/OT

Previously I posted that Walnut Ridge was 2-2. Actually MaxPreps was wrong as they actually beat Westerville Central and were actually 4-1 (only loss to Africentric). Their PG is really good. Scored 38....he's only 5-9 but is quick as lightning and finishes really well. Can also hit a step back 3 from deep. Really tough guard. I heard in the loss to Africentric he shot 39 times. They don't have too much other than him, but they should finish with a pretty respectable W-L record this year.

The Schulz kid for Pburg scored 33 on 11-16 shooting (9-13 from 3).
I was disappointed in Perrysburg in their over all play, they were fortunate to win , however they did win and showed something in coming back. The Shultz kid was amazing - awesome form and what a great stroke - I kept saying they needed to find a way to set more high picks for him behind the 3 point line! ! Not sure if the point guard had a bad game (?) but he struggled with too many unforced turnovers, and sloppy ball handling for me- credit Walnut Ridge for their defense - but if Perrysburg expects to advance in the tourney they need to clean that up.

I was disappointed in Perrysburg in their over all play, they were fortunate to win , however they did win and showed something in coming back. The Shultz kid was amazing - awesome form and what a great stroke - I kept saying they needed to find a way to set more high picks for him behind the 3 point line! ! Not sure if the point guard had a bad game (?) but he struggled with too many unforced turnovers, and sloppy ball handling for me- credit Walnut Ridge for their defense - but if Perrysburg expects to advance in the tourney they need to clean that up.
To Perrysburg's credit they played three relatively tough teams in a week and won all three. Walnut Ridge was obviously number 3 which means there was not much prep time from an X's and O's standpoint and the legs were a little drained. Good teams find a way and that is what the Jackets did.

This Friday's Perrysburg/CC match-up should be good. Central has pleasantly surprised even without Johnson. Winning ways on gridiron seem to carryover.

It was definitely their worst game from a turnover standpoint. Just way too many. Also definitely Matt Watkins worst game thus far. Only shot 6–17 (1-7 from 3) and had at least 5+ turnovers… most of which were unforced, or just being lazy.

But you’ve got to give them credit….. they were down 12 in the middle of the fourth quarter, and came all the way back to get a 7 point win over a pretty good team. They won’t see many teams that play that style with the exception of Whitmer and if they would happen to play Lima Senior in the tournament.

I think there’s a good chance that the Central Catholic game on Friday gets canceled with the impending storm. Very cold and very windy with several inches of snow is not a good formula to have a game. Which will be a shame because I think it could be a really good game.