Open HS Jobs

I heard the whole staff at Dublin Jerome quit.
Word has it, a number of players have quit already too. They were told they need to cut their hair to a certain length or they couldn't participate.

What a mess, all of the issues over the past couple of months is really sad. Can not imagine that the candidate pool will improve much with all that has taken place, when it re-opens in the Spring.

Last edited:
Word has it, a number of players have quit already too. They were told they need to cut their hair to a certain length or they couldn't participate.

What a mess, all of the issues over the past couple of months is really sad. Can not imagine that the candidate pool will improve much with all that has taken place, when it re-opens in the Spring.
Athletics at that school being run by Progressives? They usually ruin everything they are involved in!

Sad that they have literally killed that program. Had a coach that was on point, and now it is disarray. Its a wonder what happens when you get clueless people involved.

Salem in Youngstown area is looking for a coach. They have a few good years in a row so I was surprised to hear their coach quit or was let go. I think it was the same guy from 2021 team that played Canfield twice and he was a younger coach.

No one here has heard if they hired anyone yet so i'm guessing they hired from within the staff.
To my knowledge the job hasn't even been posted yet. Admin is hoping DeBarr returns.

Regardless, there is word going through the hallways that Ron Johnson is applying for it.

#vomit

To my knowledge the job hasn't even been posted yet. Admin is hoping DeBarr returns.

Regardless, there is word going through the hallways that Ron Johnson is applying for it.

#vomit
I found out a bit more from one of our coaches. The old coach (Debar?) was not let go he stepped away. He was unsure why.

I would guess the job has been posted and already filled as they would be into work outs by now.

Is Ron Johnson Salem's football coach? Did he step down from that to take the baseball coaching role?

I found out a bit more from one of our coaches. The old coach (Debar?) was not let go he stepped away. He was unsure why.

I would guess the job has been posted and already filled as they would be into work outs by now.

Is Ron Johnson Salem's football coach? Did he step down from that to take the baseball coaching role?
Correct, DeBarr resigned. There's a handful of speculated reasons but it was a typical resignation letter with the "more time with my family" reason instead of the "I no longer want to be responsible for these kids and deal with their parents" like most resignation letters.

The position has not been filled. There isn't even any noise of potential candidates or interviews.

Ron is the head football coach, he has not stepped down from that role.

I spoke with a relative of a Salem baseball player earlier today. They finally hired their coach earlier this week and it is Tom Hannan. I don't know anything about him but he was not on the staff last season.

The guy told me Hannan is backfilling his staff with carry-over JV coaches from last season. None of the varsity coaches are returning. Which according to him is a good thing.

I also asked about Ron Johnson being involved and he didn't know if he applied for the job.

They were on Canfield's schedule for this season but now they are not. Hoping they are able to line up to play this season!

Shocked that Saunders is coming out of retirement to coach at Jerome. My son played for him as a starting infielder over a decade ago and Saunders was borderline abusive to the kids and a very poor role model for young men - threw a batting helmet at a player, constantly cussed out the players, publicly humiliated and screamed at players in the middle of the game and telling them a great hit wasn't worth &#4!,. He was resentful that his 2011 team (with 3 D1 college players) didn't make it past regionals and took it out on the players the next few years. Absolutely destroyed the morale of the team and ruined my son's love of the game. The Coffman freshman and JV coaches were extremely positive individuals and then when the players made it up to the varsity team, they found out that Saunders did not live up to his glowing reputation and he lost the respect of so many players and parents. Many parents wanted to meet with him to discuss these issues but didn't want him take it out on the kids. By the time graduation came, it was better to just move on. Heard that one parent of an awesome player (and very nice young man) who is currently pitching in the minor leagues met with Saunders and told him never to cuss her kid out again. During that time, I told my 18 year old son that this experience with a difficult coach would only make him stronger and able to handle difficult bosses - several years later, he has said that dealing with Saunders made him mentally tougher and able to handle rigorous training in a stressful field but he certainly doesn't have good memories of his senior baseball season and has never had a desire to return to the famed field where he always dreamed of playing. I wonder how many others had similar experiences or if Saunders has mellowed out in the past several years. Will be interesting to see how things play out at Jerome.

Last edited:
I spoke with a relative of a Salem baseball player earlier today. They finally hired their coach earlier this week and it is Tom Hannan. I don't know anything about him but he was not on the staff last season.

The guy told me Hannan is backfilling his staff with carry-over JV coaches from last season. None of the varsity coaches are returning. Which according to him is a good thing.

I also asked about Ron Johnson being involved and he didn't know if he applied for the job.

They were on Canfield's schedule for this season but now they are not. Hoping they are able to line up to play this season!
Tom Hannan has been around HS baseball and football for about 25+ years (Aurora, Crestwood, James A. Garfield, Lakewood, St. V/ St. M- just to name a few). A Google search would let you know where and in what capacity he has served.

Tom Hannan has been around HS baseball and football for about 25+ years (Aurora, Crestwood, James A. Garfield, Lakewood, St. V/ St. M- just to name a few). A Google search would let you know where and in what capacity he has served.
He was head coach at Nordonia and the last couple years he an assistant at Copley. He still plays baseball in senior league

A lot of jobs open this off-season.

Walsh Jesuit - filled by Joe Bowers
St Vincent St Mary -
St. Ed's -
Rocky River -
Medina -
Hoban -
New Albany -
Little Miami -
Lehman Catholic -

others?
Harrison Fired their coach and is looking...Sad he did a decent job...

Harrison Fired their coach and is looking...Sad he did a decent job...
I’d say Coach Sowders did a Great job at Harrison in his 30+ years Coaching in the Harrison Baseball program. This just shows that the AD,HR,Board Members whoever did this doesn’t give a sh it about the Baseball Players in the program. Those kids are the ones getting screwed here with this just happening!

Have no idea what happened to Coach Sowders but he was very well respected in the coaching community. Also spent many many years in the SWOL and with the FutureStars program.
Difficult to imagine Harrison Baseball without him. It appears all assistants have left the program as well.

Have no idea what happened to Coach Sowders but he was very well respected in the coaching community. Also spent many many years in the SWOL and with the FutureStars program.
Difficult to imagine Harrison Baseball without him. It appears all assistants have left the program as well.
Sowders is a class act. Not sure if something happened otherwise lately. His dad was a coach, brother was a coach, and he was well known in the SWOL organization. I knew him from his JTM Baseball days, JTM transitioned to Future Stars Baseball. Since he had been doing it for so long, I am going to chalk it up to it was time to give it up. Is he a teacher? If so, maybe he is close to retiring. Nonetheless, great dude

I’d say Coach Sowders did a Great job at Harrison in his 30+ years Coaching in the Harrison Baseball program. This just shows that the AD,HR,Board Members whoever did this doesn’t give a sh it about the Baseball Players in the program. Those kids are the ones getting screwed here with this just happening!
I coached with Sowders at Harrison for 6 years. The guy dedicated his life to Harrison Athletics. Meibers, the A.D. is a clown!

I'm sorry but I'm still SMH, from what I understand, Jerome is still yet to work out for baseball other than a :15 toss in the morning. Those kids were coached by one of the best to do it, going to Florida, had core team back and the entitled ruined it. Oh well, you reap what you sow. Gotta think Darby is the favorite again with a revamped TW team that is gearing up[!

I'm sorry but I'm still SMH, from what I understand, Jerome is still yet to work out for baseball other than a :15 toss in the morning. Those kids were coached by one of the best to do it, going to Florida, had core team back and the entitled ruined it. Oh well, you reap what you sow. Gotta think Darby is the favorite again with a revamped TW team that is gearing up[!
Darby and Berlin will be the favorites...

TW lost a lot from last year, and the younger teams struggled as well.

I see a rebuilding year or 2 in the future for the Cards.

Darby and Berlin will be the favorites...

TW lost a lot from last year, and the younger teams struggled as well.

I see a rebuilding year or 2 in the future for the Cards.

Hopefully Berlin is better this year. They were a major disappointment last, ton of talent and struggled. A lot of players move on to college from Berlin, but the bottom line is they underachieved last year.

Never write off Liberty, talent in every grade. Also NA, GC, and OO will be very good.

Anyone know the story at Harrison? Just checked his record in the 9 years of the SWOC. Five league titles with the last one being in 2021. One sub .500 record and that was 12-15. With the 5 league titles Harrison also finished 2nd three times and third once. Kinda crazy!

Anyone know the story at Harrison? Just checked his record in the 9 years of the SWOC. Five league titles with the last one being in 2021. One sub .500 record and that was 12-15. With the 5 league titles Harrison also finished 2nd three times and third once. Kinda crazy!
I heard a few Parents strongly affiliated with a Church in Harrison are the ones behind the complaints! Not much worse than a bunch of “Karen” entitled Holy Rollers! Hopefully at the next Board Meeting they discuss the Sowders non renewal and the job performance of the AD!

Right. Just saw article that said the AD planned to have a Coach by 2/1. Seems to me this AD is not very good at his job! Can the SWLSD Board say Sowders Coaches this season if he wants?
With his name being slung through the mud, if I were Sowders I would tell them to go kick rocks! No way I would go back and coach and work for the guy who got rid of me....