Potential New Football Programs

Do you know if that is still the case, or is there just dis-interest in playing football in the Kinsman/Badger area now?
Im not 100 percent sure but I would imagine so, a couple years ago they had a few from badger that played. A lot of the badger kids just play soccer tho

Yes, Dublin Scioto won a state title in 1995 after being split from the original Dublin High. This was when they spilt into Scioto and Coffman.
That was a bit of a delicate situation.

The BOE forced the in-place Dublin High School coach to move to Scioto against his wishes. He coached the Irish to the aforementioned state championship, then resigned from the district.

All rising seniors were given the opportunity to attend either of the two high schools. This may have extended to incoming juniors or sophomores as well (I'm not sure of this was the case). The class of 1996 was absolutely loaded with football talent, and virtually all of them chose to follow their coach to Scioto. In all honesty, an un-divided Dublin would probably have won ANY division in the state that year.

I just received a 2023 schedule listing Riverside Academy, out of Cincinnati, as an opponent. Is anyone aware of them starting a team?

Edit: I just received clarification that they meant Riverview East Academy.

Last edited:
793 basketball

768 baseball

717 football.

690 track & field

646 golf

600 cross country

575 soccer

483 wrestling

393 tennis

308 bowling

262 swimming & diving

141 lacrosse

79 ice hockey
How many OSHAA members are there?
How many do not participate in athletics at all? 0?

I don't see Hiland or Kidron CC ever fielding football teams in any form. Soccer is king at Kidron CC, and I don't know if it's true or not, but I'd always heard tales that Hiland's athletic fields sit on land that was deeded under the stipulation that they never start a football program.
Sports of "violence" I'm told.

How many OSHAA members are there?
818 High Schools, 747 7th and 8th Grade Schools

How many do not participate in athletics at all? 0?
I'm guessing 0 also.

I'm not sure how accurate this is.

There are 1,360 high schools in Ohio, made up of 1,152 public schools and 208 private schools.

That would mean there are 542 high schools that are not OHSAA members. Could there possibly be that many vocational, charter, and parochial high schools in Ohio without sports?

Last edited:
what exactly would be the point of being an OHSAA member if you didn't have sports?
The point is moot because 1 of the requirements of OHSAA membership is sponsorship of at least 2 varsity sports per season.

From the OHSAA Constitution (which is separate from the Bylaws which is separate from the General Sports Regulations):

3-3-5 If, during the course of any given school year, a member school fails to sponsor a minimum of two varsity “recognized sports” in any sport season or two OHSAA recognized sports per season at the 7-8th grade level, effective in the immediate ensuing sports season after the school fails to meet this minimum sponsorship obligation, the school’s membership shall be placed on probation. Part of this probation will be that the school’s remaining sports teams shall be ineligible for participation in any OHSAA sponsored tournaments at the high school and/or 7th-8th grade level during that probationary period. However, a school whose membership is placed on probation pursuant to this section may be eligible to participate in the OHSAA sports tournaments during its probationary period upon application to the Executive Director’s Office, membership services department. The Board of Directors shall adopt guidelines regarding objective criteria for the membership services staff to consider in making the tournament participation decision. Furthermore, that school’s probation shall remain in effect for three consecutive sports seasons, during which time the school must resume sponsorship of two sports per sport’s season. If the probationary school fails to sponsor two sports per sport’s season during this probationary period, the school’s membership in the OHSAA shall be terminated. Note: Probation has a different meaning than suspension as denoted in Constitution 3-3-6.

Last edited:
Do Kelley's Island or Put-In-Bay have athletics?
Put in Bay traditionally has athletes that participate in Track and Field and Cross country. Most years when numbers allow they will also field a coed basketball team. Not a ton of families stay on the island year round anymore.

Last edited:
I just received a 2023 schedule listing Riverside Academy, out of Cincinnati, as an opponent. Is anyone aware of them starting a team?

Edit: I just received clarification that they meant Riverview East Academy.
Riverview East returned to playing football in 2022. D7 school...which is actually built on pillars due to its proximity along the Ohio River. Part of Cincinnati Public.

Someone mentioned Kalida earlier (well, two years ago). I remember Joe Verhoff from the Kalida state title basketball team hitting the weight room after that season and getting pretty big, like 6'4" 235-240. He could been a force as a TE/DE in high school and there were other decent sized guys from Kalida back then. Their success in track shows that there was probably speed in that town for a long time. I've wondered from time to time how good they could have been in football.

Someone mentioned Kalida earlier (well, two years ago). I remember Joe Verhoff from the Kalida state title basketball team hitting the weight room after that season and getting pretty big, like 6'4" 235-240. He could been a force as a TE/DE in high school and there were other decent sized guys from Kalida back then. Their success in track shows that there was probably speed in that town for a long time. I've wondered from time to time how good they could have been in football.
They used to have youth football. They unfortunately caught a case of the soccer..

The state of many public schools not just athletically but enrollment and staffing wise are now becoming an unnecessary burden on parents and taxpayers. I know this isn’t the popular take among prideful alumni, but they are living in the past. Not just the pre-covid past, but the 20th century past. All I see on the news anymore is substitute shortage this, bus driver shortage that, impending teacher shortage coming and on and on. I know it’s going to be near impossible for many school boards to read the tea leaves and consolidate. I have no idea what the dissolution of the Ohio state board of education will mean for this process either? If a student lives in a school district and goes to that school, and that school doesn’t offer a specific sport, can they play that sport in a neighboring district?

The state of many public schools not just athletically but enrollment and staffing wise are now becoming an unnecessary burden on parents and taxpayers. I know this isn’t the popular take among prideful alumni, but they are living in the past. Not just the pre-covid past, but the 20th century past. All I see on the news anymore is substitute shortage this, bus driver shortage that, impending teacher shortage coming and on and on. I know it’s going to be near impossible for many school boards to read the tea leaves and consolidate. I have no idea what the dissolution of the Ohio state board of education will mean for this process either? If a student lives in a school district and goes to that school, and that school doesn’t offer a specific sport, can they play that sport in a neighboring district?
No, they can't. What you describe can happen only in the case of a private school not offering a sport - in which case the student could play that sport either in his/her district of residence or the public district in which the private school is located, if they are different.

Medina Christian Academy is working on geting a program going in 2-3 years. School has tripled in enrollment in the last 3 years, new gym and classrooms under construction. Enrollment in K-6 grade is over 400 kids and growing. The highschool has about 130 or so students. Currently in process to be OHSSA.

Medina Christian Academy is working on geting a program going in 2-3 years. School has tripled in enrollment in the last 3 years, new gym and classrooms under construction. Enrollment in K-6 grade is over 400 kids and growing. The highschool has about 130 or so students. Currently in process to be OHSSA.
Good luck to them!

What gets me is the patch of land between Van Wert, Defiance, Delphos, and O.G.
No football there!!!!!
Ie. Lincolnview, Fort Jennings, Ottoville, Kalida & Continental.