General NFL Chat

Maybe but is it possible the Browns organization just really sucks. What I find laughable is that the Dolphins supposedly tanked in 2019, the fish won their last 2 games in 19 including an OT win vs the Bengals. If the dolphins had lost those 2 games they would have Joey B. as their QB right now.
Here's the thing about tanking... The players on the field never tank, they try to play their best and win. Same for coaches. They need to for the good of their careers.

Titans OC Todd Downing was charged with a DUI after getting pulled over about 90 minutes after the team plane landed in Nashville, per Pro Football Talk (article linked).

Either he drank really fast or you’d have to wonder if he was drinking on the team plane.

It’s true, it’s true. Trust me …

Titans OC Todd Downing was charged with a DUI after getting pulled over about 90 minutes after the team plane landed in Nashville, per Pro Football Talk (article linked).

Either he drank really fast or you’d have to wonder if he was drinking on the team plane.

Is there a rule against drinking on the plane?

In the out of site, out of mind category....
Thursday Night Football.....

down nearly 20% from last year when it was on NFL network/local markets. First few weeks were good, as many were likely getting the free trial run like I did. At first I would look at the score during the game...now I dont even know unil the next day when I run into the score.
Here's the thing about tanking... The players on the field never tank, they try to play their best and win. Same for coaches. They need to for the good of their careers.
Concur.....players play, organiztions tank.

In the out of site, out of mind category....
Thursday Night Football.....

down nearly 20% from last year when it was on NFL network/local markets. First few weeks were good, as many were likely getting the free trial run like I did. At first I would look at the score during the game...now I dont even know unil the next day when I run into the score.

Concur.....players play, organiztions tank.
I think the Thursday night/ Amazon experiment has bombed horribly. I've not seen a Thursday night game and it's really ok.

I think the Thursday night/ Amazon experiment has bombed horribly. I've not seen a Thursday night game and it's really ok.
I got the free month, went to cancel and they offered another free.....cancelled after that. ANyting I searched for to watch on Amazon was an additional cost so it was not worth it.
First couple of weeks I would seek out the score in game to see what was going on....then i started to only look later for the final. Now it is so fargone in my mind that if I dont accidently see it on Friday then I dont even know who won.

and its really OK. If the Rona tought me anyting...is I can live without watching sports nonstop. Their ratings started high...because of the free trials, and bottoming out with 20% off from last year and much lower than what they promised advertisers.

NFL is getting their money and that is all they care about. Remember the one Sunday game in Europe.....ESPN plus maybe? They said it was their best ever viewed on ESPN plus...but wouldnt diclose the number!

Josh Allen has not looked great lately. I understand he’s dealing with an elbow injury but even his decision making has been terrible.

I hope the Colts go undefeated with Jeff Saturday as the interim coach. Hearing people talk about him like he was just an average Joe drinking buddy of Irsay and not an accomplished PROFESSIONAL FOOTBALL PLAYER, was ridiculous in my opinion.

Baker benched.

Mayfield started and completed 21 of 33 passes for 196 yards, no touchdowns and two interceptions. For the season, he's completed 57.8 percent of his throws for six touchdowns, six picks and 6.4 yards per attempt in seven games. He ranks last in QBR out of 35 qualified passers, per Pro Football Reference.

Baker benched.

Mayfield started and completed 21 of 33 passes for 196 yards, no touchdowns and two interceptions. For the season, he's completed 57.8 percent of his throws for six touchdowns, six picks and 6.4 yards per attempt in seven games. He ranks last in QBR out of 35 qualified passers, per Pro Football Reference.

Darnold is a stiff, they are playing him to avoid giving the higher draft pick to the Browns.

Baker benched.

Boy, what tumultuous couple of years for Baker Mayfield. Prior to the 2021 season, Baker was lauded as an up and coming star in the NFL. Coming off an 11-5 playoff berth 2020 season, trounced the Steelers in the first round of the playoffs and was a bounce or two away from knocking off the vaunted Chiefs in the divisional round. Commercials were flowing for him. Just a year and a half later, he's lost his job in Cleveland, and now Carolina, Has little going for him and unless he's willing to be a backup and bide his time, may be out of football by next season.
If you ever needed proof that pro sports is all about talent and winning, this is a prime case. DeShaun Watson was not only given a blank check and handed a better starting QB job than he had -- AFTER doing all those reprehensible things that certainly there was enough claims that at least part of it has to be true.
Now Baker and Baker and he rubs alot of people the wrong way, but to our knowledge he's never been nothing but a good citizen and person for the Browns. Meanwhile a guy who's going to be the QB, would not be in this position if he had any other occupation other than a pro athlete.

This is the big element that’s sparked chatter over the past several months. It’s unclear why players aren’t interested in playing with Mayfield, but there’s a clear sentiment that he’s reviled around the league.

The truth is: Players talk. They’re friendly off the field and especially those with collegiate bonds share notes on the regular. It was concerning when Odell Beckham Jr. was incensed with Mayfield on the field, and while Cleveland did its best to protect their QB in the wake of OBJ’s release, there’s no doubt that Beckham Jr. failed to do anything of note in Cleveland and flourished with the Rams — but this continued when Jarvis Landry took shots at Mayfield as well.

Compound all this with Panthers receiver Robbie Anderson being outspoken when rumors struck of Carolina trading for Mayfield, and we have quite the tapestry. For whatever reason, it’s clear players just don’t want to deal with the quarterback.

This is the big element that’s sparked chatter over the past several months. It’s unclear why players aren’t interested in playing with Mayfield, but there’s a clear sentiment that he’s reviled around the league.

The truth is: Players talk. They’re friendly off the field and especially those with collegiate bonds share notes on the regular. It was concerning when Odell Beckham Jr. was incensed with Mayfield on the field, and while Cleveland did its best to protect their QB in the wake of OBJ’s release, there’s no doubt that Beckham Jr. failed to do anything of note in Cleveland and flourished with the Rams — but this continued when Jarvis Landry took shots at Mayfield as well.

Compound all this with Panthers receiver Robbie Anderson being outspoken when rumors struck of Carolina trading for Mayfield, and we have quite the tapestry. For whatever reason, it’s clear players just don’t want to deal with the quarterback.

I certainly don't have any love for Baker, but why is OBJ such a relevant voice? Other than a one hand catch that made him fameous, he's been a good but not great reciever, and he's wore out his welcomes in locker rooms as well. And Robbie Anderson?? He's really done nothing to warrant any juice. Now, if it's other players on the team ok, but receivers? There isn't a more divisive group on a team that it's receivers.
Everyone wants the ball on every play and that's simply not possible.
I thought it was a mistake for the Browns to bring in Beckham. Just not a good locker room guy.

NFL has big tv audiences for this years Thanksgiving Day games:

“The Cowboys 28-20 victory on Fox averaged 42 million viewers, according to Nielsen, surpassing the 41.55 million average for the Dec. 3, 1990, Monday night game between the Giants and San Francisco 49ers on ABC. Average viewer record numbers date to 1988.

The average viewership for the three Thanksgiving Day games on Thursday was 33.5 million, surpassing the previous high of 32.9 million in 1993, when two games were aired.

The average was also up 6% over last year's average of 31.6 million.

The Buffalo Bills 28-25 win over the Detroit Lions on CBS was the most-watched early Thanksgiving Day game on record with a 31.6 million average.

The night game between the New England Patriots and Minnesota Vikings averaged 25.9 million, the second-highest audience for a Thanksgiving night contest. The Vikings' 33-26 victory was surpassed only by the 2015 game between the Chicago Bears and Green Bay Packers (27.8 million).”

Something that will get little press because it's a GM, not a player, and it's not controversial is the firing of Titan's GM Jon Robinison. The Titans are my team and it's been an interesting ride. No unlike many Titans fans on social media, this isn't pile on Jon Robinson. My guess is he'll be unemployed for less than a few months. He only had 7 straight winning season with the Titans and multiple playoff appearances, including the magical 2019 run to the AFC championship game, falling to the Chiefs when they were beginning their big run.
Robinson came to a team that was a mess, he had a former Heisman QB in Marcus Mariota and rooking Derrick Henry to begin his tenure. The rebuild brought in new head coach Mike Vrabel and this team certainly has the Vrable stamp on it. Run the ball, stop the run, be physical.
The downside is this franchise has never been able to truly maximize the QB position. Only Steve McNair over a couple seasons late in his career has the Titans ever had a "top flight" QB.
I don't dislike Tannehill, actually he was a savior for this franchise the last 4 seasons. Mariota just wasn't going to ever get us there.
Now as a Titans fan, I'm pretty realistic. We've got by with limited offensive weapons, a great defense, special teams and mostly a division that isn't that great. So our success is a little bit masked. Titans games typically come down to the last few minutes and a big play one way or another.
This is a gamble by owner Amy Adams-Schrunk, daughter of Oilers/ Titans deceased owner Bud Adams. The Titans are not deemed at top team, but they also have been one of the better teams in the NFL over the last 4-5 years.
The way the NFL is formatted, sustaining talent is very difficult. Many are pointing to Robinson's lack of retaining receiver AJ Brown as the main reason for his departure, and that's probably part of it. But in the NFL with the salary cap, you can't pay everyone. AJ was great a few years ago, he was hurt alot last season and as we know, when you choose to pay big at one position, it takes away from others.

NFL has big tv audiences for this years Thanksgiving Day games:

“The Cowboys 28-20 victory on Fox averaged 42 million viewers, according to Nielsen, surpassing the 41.55 million average for the Dec. 3, 1990, Monday night game between the Giants and San Francisco 49ers on ABC. Average viewer record numbers date to 1988.

The average viewership for the three Thanksgiving Day games on Thursday was 33.5 million, surpassing the previous high of 32.9 million in 1993, when two games were aired.

The average was also up 6% over last year's average of 31.6 million.

The Buffalo Bills 28-25 win over the Detroit Lions on CBS was the most-watched early Thanksgiving Day game on record with a 31.6 million average.

The night game between the New England Patriots and Minnesota Vikings averaged 25.9 million, the second-highest audience for a Thanksgiving night contest. The Vikings' 33-26 victory was surpassed only by the 2015 game between the Chicago Bears and Green Bay Packers (27.8 million).”
And if there is any reason to think the NFL will stop Thursday games, you're nuts. The NFL is all about making money, TV rights deals are upped every time they are negotiated, with no end in sight.

According to ESPN, Von Miller out for the season with an ACL injury.
That's crushing for the Bills. After the first month, we were pretty much putting the Bills in the super bowl. They've been winning, but still struggle at times and the Bengals and Chiefs are right there. Miller was a difference maker as he could get pressure on the QB.

Baker Freaking Mayfield.

now that Bakers with McVay, a coach like Lincoln Riley, who isn’t intimidated by his intelligence and enthusiasm, maybe he’ll have a fair chance to succeed.

If Mayfield can stay humble, he can easily have an NFL job for many years as a top backup QB and make good money being that guy. I wouldn’t entrust him with a starting QB/team leader role at this point.