Dover 2022/2023

Pile Driver

What are everyone’s thoughts on this year’s team?

I look for them to take a small step backward after last year’s great regular season…before stumbling in round 1 of the tourney. Did we beef up the schedule at all, or are we still playing to rack up wins for BVK?

I heard they got some bad news early with Grove injuring his foot and is going to miss some considerable time.

Likely starters this year? I’d have to assume Gilliard, Stevenson, Hamm, DeVault, for sure. Not sure who fills in for Grove until he gets back. Dover had a fantastic freshman and JV team last year, so curious who is ready to step up and contribute. Ridgeway is a great athlete and should help, Coletti, Barton, and Conner are a few others that come to mind.

B152F43E-779D-41DA-AF63-AC1B4099161D.jpeg

The schedule looks pretty beefed up to me.

Gigax would be the starter at the 5 but is out with an injury right now. The players you mentioned, along with Lurie and Hanner will all be competing for playing time, it all depends on how deep coach will be going to his bench this year.

Gigax would be the starter at the 5 but is out with an injury right now. The players you mentioned, along with Lurie and Hanner will all be competing for playing time, it all depends on how deep coach will be going to his bench this year.
Forgot about Gigax. Hanner coming back out should be good as well, but will take him some time to get back after not playing last season. I don’t see Lurie contributing much more than maybe a few min in blowout wins or losses.

Looks like a good schedule, with some quality OVAC opponents. A matchup with Linsly would be good to see.

Thoughts on the ISA game?
ISA was way better than the last two years, and I heard they had some/a division 1 athletes. Don't know if that is true or not
Missed Gigax with his size and physicality, Does anyone know when he will be back?
Too many turnovers, and had trouble breaking the full-court press.
I think this team has a good upside, with some decent size in the post and decent shooters

ISA had a lot of size and athletic ability, but didn’t seem to be exceptionally skilled. The Dover kids really struggled with the size difference and missed a lot of easy shots due to the threat of a block or anticipation of a challenge.

Overall, it was a good first game. This team needs to be tested. Bob did a lot of shuffling last night with the lineup to try and see what was working well together. You can tell Grove and Hamm were playing through injuries too. Hope they both heal up quickly. I haven’t heard anything on Gigax’s injury, but definitely missed his height last night.

Nice win by the JV. Looks like they have some really good shooters in that Soph class.

The boys really struggled last night when pressured and I'm sure they'll fix that soon. From what I've heard, I don't think you can expect to see Gigax back this season.

ISA had 4 kids that reminded me athletically of Joey Farthing,some of the plays they made were incredible.and had a huge height advantage.
I thought Devalt played a great game and Lurie made some nice passes
. The 3 ball was cold and has to improve. Looked like a major blowout early but Dover got it down to 1 and hung close until the last couple minutes.

Akron Ellet tonight Lets hope for a better outcome than the ISA game

Bummer on Gigax being out for the season. He has had a raw deal. 2 ACL tears, and now this, wonder if he was dealing with this during the football season

Last edited:
Thoughts on the Dover vs Wooster game tonight?
Wooster (1-1) lost to Jackson(2-1) by 12 then beat madison comprehensive(2-2) by 1 point.
I think Wooster's best player is committed to Kentucky for baseball
I think Wooster will be a middle ground between ISA, and Ellet.

I don't know much about Wooster other than they can shoot the basketball very well. Hopefully with a couple games under their belt, the boys will protect the basketball better and start to gel as a team. I'm sure Bobby will have them ready to go and Dover stays on track and builds off their win at Ellet.

Wooster has been tough every year we play them. I look for a dogfight Dover will need to shoot the 3 ball better than they did against ISA.

Speaking of Wooster, has Dover officially applied to the OCC, yet? Anyone know when a vote for admission will would potentially happen?

Good back and forth game with Dover coming out on top 47-42
OCC will be having a meeting soon and may or may not discuss Dover. The ball is entirely in their court. Wooster fans sitting near me said they would be excited to see Dover in the league and think we would be a great fit,means nothing but better than hearing complaints.
Side note,one of the officials tonight was Hosea Davis, he was the QB at Ball State when Daniel Ifft played, also on the team was Perci Garner before he switched to entirely baseball.

Last edited:
OCC will be having a meeting soon and may or may not discuss Dover. The ball is entirely in their court. Wooster fans sitting near me said they would be excited to see Dover in the league and think we would be a great fit,means nothing but better than hearing complaints.
They more than likely will be discussed since the OCC Commissioner is from the Dover area. Hallway talk around some of the recent sporting events is that if they took a vote it would not be unanimous and may not even pass. After having A few contests with New Philly joining the Mansfield area schools are not as excited as they were two years ago. Ashland is welcoming a new Super who was one of the few in the system interested in the idea and West Holmes struggles in most OCC sports and knows that adding Dover pushes them further down. It's all hallway talk but when pushed to vote, who knows.

They more than likely will be discussed since the OCC Commissioner is from the Dover area. Hallway talk around some of the recent sporting events is that if they took a vote it would not be unanimous and may not even pass. After having A few contests with New Philly joining the Mansfield area schools are not as excited as they were two years ago. Ashland is welcoming a new Super who was one of the few in the system interested in the idea and West Holmes struggles in most OCC sports and knows that adding Dover pushes them further down. It's all hallway talk but when pushed to vote, who knows.
I've heard the same but like you said, just talk right now. Word is, at least 2-3 schools are not on board with adding Dover to the conference.

I've heard the same but like you said, just talk right now. Word is, at least 2-3 schools are not on board with adding Dover to the conference.
Even the New Phil fans are not convinced they like the OCC travel. All of the NP Admins that voted for this move are no longer there.

Just a basketball thought, I'd like to have seen a Dover vs Garaway matchup this season, I think it would been a very good game, just not sure why they have never played each other in basketball

Lexington and Madison are the 2 schools that are holding out right now, from the sounds of it. Hopefully Dover can convince one of them to change their minds. Would be a great conference for Dover to join.

Lexington and Madison are the 2 schools that are holding out right now, from the sounds of it. Hopefully Dover can convince one of them to change their minds. Would be a great conference for Dover to join.
Maybe if they paid a large sum of money to them like New Phila did to Wooster.

From a competition and facilities standpoint as a fan I would be in favor of Dover in the OCC. From a travel standpoint I can see how it could be a issue for some of the schools including Lexington.

It is so funny you think that. Are you claiming that New Phila did not cut a check to Wooster?

Not specifically that, but thing after thing you post over multiple forums on here and a lot of it is just not correct. You do you though. Appearing to be the smartest, coolest in the know guy on yappi obviously means a lot to you. Carry on, I won’t get in the way of that anymore for you.

Not specifically that, but thing after thing you post over multiple forums on here and a lot of it is just not correct. You do you though. Appearing to be the smartest, coolest in the know guy on yappi obviously means a lot to you. Carry on, I won’t get in the way of that anymore for you.
I never felt you were in anyone's way. Please, you do you as well. Being in meetings and a part of conversations makes someone a little more informed.