The Official 2022-23 Transfer Portal Thread

Want to cure this situation, go to a baseball style model with some sort of minor league football option; it gives guys that are purely heading into NCAA football as a pathway to the NFL a paying gig and allow NFL teams to draft HS players and develop them with control for 5 years or so. If a player decides on the NCAA pathway they have to commit to 2 years at a single school before having the option of making themselves available for the draft. If they don't get drafted or don't like their slot they can either go back to their school for another 2 year block or have a 1 time transfer for another 2 year block. I think most players would be happy to give up yearly movement for a paying option to start their career. Coaches may like it too as they have some more roster stability but do lose the ability to bring higher level players into the fold as Freshmen.
There is no way the NCAA wants anything to do with this. The level of play would drop dramatically. We already have guys who take no interest in thier academics - transferring annually to the next best situation.

This all came about because the NCAA got tired of policing these programs, and the schools simply will not police themselves.

Not good...

1670360662296.png

I don't know if we can know just yet, if it is bad or not. I suspect however that many are going to learn the age ole saying that the grass isn't always greener on the other side of the fence. My son transfered this past season, not due to playing time. The new school told him everything he wanted to hear. Most of what they told him ended up being BS, of course. Thankfully, he changed schools for reasons other than football, but it was still disappointing.

With all these QB's in the portal, Indiana should be able to get a decent QB. There is absolutely no reason Indiana football is as bad as it is.
They were down to their fourth string QB for the last 3-4 games due to injuries. Perhaps the they should start with the oline.

They were down to their fourth string QB for the last 3-4 games due to injuries. Perhaps the they should start with the oline.
They've been down to their 3rd/ 4th string QB the last 5 years. It's incredible how many QB's get hurt there. And yes, you build from the lines out.

I don't know if we can know just yet, if it is bad or not. I suspect however that many are going to learn the age ole saying that the grass isn't always greener on the other side of the fence. My son transfered this past season, not due to playing time. The new school told him everything he wanted to hear. Most of what they told him ended up being BS, of course. Thankfully, he changed schools for reasons other than football, but it was still disappointing.
Sorry to hear that, but this should be posted on every message board and social media outlet across the nation for college athletes. When recruiting, coaches are going to tell kids what they want to hear. The thing that kids have to understand is the day you get recruited and commit, that coaching staff is recruiting your replacement. Pick a school for the school, get your free education if it's a full ride and anything else is icing on the cake.

Heard some discussion this morning on the portal subject; many coaches are deciding not to take back players that test the waters in the portal and then decide they want to come back. I get that with bench guys but to do that with starters is kind of short sighted, especially when you look at the coaches that test the hiring waters and then decide to come back with a big fat raise. A very kettle moment for guys like Lane Kiffen.

There is no way the NCAA wants anything to do with this. The level of play would drop dramatically. We already have guys who take no interest in thier academics - transferring annually to the next best situation.

This all came about because the NCAA got tired of policing these programs, and the schools simply will not police themselves.
In the future I could see a professional football league being created, or perhaps the USFL or XFL, that makes college eligibility only 1 year like that of the NBA. Why not risk yourself playing football for free (you know minus the free education a lot of students would die for) when you can immediately get paid, then declare for the draft when eligible.

Heard some discussion this morning on the portal subject; many coaches are deciding not to take back players that test the waters in the portal and then decide they want to come back. I get that with bench guys but to do that with starters is kind of short sighted, especially when you look at the coaches that test the hiring waters and then decide to come back with a big fat raise. A very kettle moment for guys like Lane Kiffen.
I think that's very possible, and it probably depends how good they are, sad to say. I think it's very difficult to trust a player who originally is all in, then after a year wants to transfer, then to want to come back.
I really have never seen the comparison with coaches. For coaches, that's their occupation. Many use other jobs as leverage to get extentions and that's just part of the game you have to play to be able to recruit.

In the future I could see a professional football league being created, or perhaps the USFL or XFL, that makes college eligibility only 1 year like that of the NBA. Why not risk yourself playing football for free (you know minus the free education a lot of students would die for) when you can immediately get paid, then declare for the draft when eligible.
I just don't see a pro football minor leagues. We've seen over and over these other leagues try to get started and people just don't buy in. Now if the NFL would financially support a minor leagues then it may work but they are never self supporting and fan interest is little.

Love seeing the posts on social media with guys announcing their entering the portal.

So basically, I don't like it here because:
1. the coach doesn't like me
2. the are bringing in a better player than me and I don't want to compete for a job
3. another coach contacted me and told me how great I am

But we play the game of saying how much we value the school and yada, yada, yada...

And then the whack fans fawn over them telling them they love them and wish them luck.
You know what happened 40 years ago when guys transferred....they were ostracized and no one even cared about the kid, and if they ever came back to play, it was booing from the start. But that may hurt someone's feelings these days....

Whole thing is a mess.

If a player was good and had big or growing NIL potential they'd be nuts to not shop around for a better one time transfer deal.

I don't like it, but all's fair to me with coaches jumping ship and leveraging jobs for more money. Your school may bring in a Mel Tucker or a Coach Prime that desires to run your off and use the portal to rapidly flip the roster to their liking to better themselves financially.

If you want this nonsense to go away, scholarships need to become multi-year binding agreements. They are generally year-to-year agreements as is and a Coach Prime type can come in and run off 20-25+ players with ease if they want to flip the roster. I'd be for making initial high school signings a two-way 2-3 year agreement. Player has to stay, and the coach can't run your off campus unless flunking or in legit legal trouble.

Whole thing is a mess.

If a player was good and had big or growing NIL potential they'd be nuts to not shop around for a better one time transfer deal.

I don't like it, but all's fair to me with coaches jumping ship and leveraging jobs for more money. Your school may bring in a Mel Tucker or a Coach Prime that desires to run your off and use the portal to rapidly flip the roster to their liking to better themselves financially.

If you want this nonsense to go away, scholarships need to become multi-year binding agreements. They are generally year-to-year agreements as is and a Coach Prime type can come in and run off 20-25+ players with ease if they want to flip the roster. I'd be for making initial high school signings a two-way 2-3 year agreement. Player has to stay, and the coach can't run your off campus unless flunking or in legit legal trouble.
I’d agree. It’s good for both the student and school if scholarships ran for two years

He got the truck for a dealership in Columbus. If it was given as a gift, I doubt he had to give it back.
Ohio State QB Quinn Ewers Signs $1.4 Million NIL Deal, …
So Bob maybe you have some insight into this. Did Ewers actually get the money? Was there any stipulation that he had to play at Ohio State or is the NIL deal not linked to anything with the school?
I say this because I've seen nothing about these kids and this money actually being paid out.

So Bob maybe you have some insight into this. Did Ewers actually get the money? Was there any stipulation that he had to play at Ohio State or is the NIL deal not linked to anything with the school?
I say this because I've seen nothing about these kids and this money actually being paid out.
We can’t know for certain but that was the whole reason he reclassified and went to OSU. He couldn’t take the NIL deal as a high school student. Given the deal was announced immediately after he reclassified and it’s a Texas based company, it sounds like it didn’t matter where he went. He just had to get to a college campus instead of HS.

I only know what the articles report. As Orin stated a Texas based company.

In the meantime, he’s making bank. He announced his first NIL deal in August with a Kombucha company and now he’s set to sign a lot of autographs.
Multiple outlets reported that Ewers signed a three-season deal with GT Sports Marketing worth $1.4 million. GTSM specializes in autographs for athletes, particularly in TEXAS.

In addition to becoming an overnight millionaire, the man with the bleached blonde mullet got himself a new truck. He signed with Columbus-area automotive dealership and picked up a tricked out Ford F-250 Tremor.

So here is where we are at in college football. Jack Tuttle, who was at one time a 4 star high school recruit, went to Utah, then transferred to Indiana. Played on and off for 4 years, seemed like he was injured most of the time, has transferred to...Michigan?? So he goes from a place where he may get a chance to start, to a school that he has not a chance to play other than in mop up time. If you're a mid level program, how do you compete with that?
If you ever get a recruit that's a little higher than you normally can recruit, the first sign of success that kid is gone. So these lower programs really have a worse chance of competing than normal.

So here is where we are at in college football. Jack Tuttle, who was at one time a 4 star high school recruit, went to Utah, then transferred to Indiana. Played on and off for 4 years, seemed like he was injured most of the time, has transferred to...Michigan?? So he goes from a place where he may get a chance to start, to a school that he has not a chance to play other than in mop up time. If you're a mid level program, how do you compete with that?
If you ever get a recruit that's a little higher than you normally can recruit, the first sign of success that kid is gone. So these lower programs really have a worse chance of competing than normal.
Mid-majors are going to get squeezed both losing good talent and with trying to acquire trickle down talent IMO.

Backups at major schools are increasingly going to be making "roster retention" money that's going to create a conundrum where it's choose to sit the pine and get paid or transfer for a playing opportunity with no money at a MAC or Sun Belt school.