Division VI State Championship: Marion Local (15-0) vs Kirtland (15-0)

Who wins?

• Marion Local by 17+

Votes: 17 8.9%
  • Marion Local by 8-16

Votes: 56 29.5%
  • Marion Local by 1-7

Votes: 54 28.4%
  • Kirtland by 1-7

Votes: 38 20.0%
  • Kirtland by 8-16

Votes: 20 10.5%
  • Kirtland by 17+

Votes: 5 2.6%

• Total voters
Great Game - still trying to warm my old bones. Before I post my opinions I would like to congratulate Marion Local on a great season. I thought these two teams were carbon copies of each other. ML made more impact plays then Kirtland did and that was the difference - hats off. There will be a lot of kids tomorrow from both teams in the ice tubs.

The game came down to a few plays like most games that pit evenly matched traditional powerhouses. The first thing l noticed walking in was the size difference. ML is big across the board. I thought the halfback pass, the Kirtland offsides on 3rd and short and obviously the pick six were the big plays. The perfectly executed option play was big also. Kirtland used their strength and technique to really go toe to toe with the Flyers defensively. I however think Kirtland was out of sync on offense. Granted much of that was the ML defense. But there were like 4 delay of game penalties and that is very uncommon. The Hornets were being very conservative and it seemed like they were trying to be very cautious on their play calling. They were constantly 3rd and 5 or more and that is not Hornet football. Both teams did not pass overly well and I think total yards were separated by like 30 yards. ML however made the big plays and seemed to keep Kirtland pinned deep most of the second half.

IMO this was high school football at its best. Two teams with homegrown talent slugging it out. The hits were hard and both teams left the game dinged up. Much respect to the Flyers on a great season. I have a serious feeling this is not the last time these two schools will meet for the title.

Thank you. I was thinking both teams probably did not surpass 200 total yards. The one thing that really sticks out to me is the 10 for 13 pass completions for Marion we’re huge
I think the 10 for 13 total is only slightly misleading because at least a few of those completions were touch passes where the QB taps the ball to the receiver right in front of him. Nevertheless, ML was effective passing down the field today when they did I would say.

Gone all day. Just watched the recording. Hat off to ML.

Knew ML would have some gadget plays. The pass to the QB was a good one.

Does Kirtland ever narrow their gaps on the offensive line, maybe to keep the D from just running right through them?

When your QB doesn't have much time to set and throw, maybe don't spend precious seconds dropping back from under center every pass. Pistol? Shotgun?

Kirtland's downfield pass to #10 in 4Q looked like holding or DPI on the DB covering him. #10 could get only his left arm in the air because his right arm was clamped to the DB.

Last edited:
Stats

1670105488036.png

1670105515525.png

1670105550522.png

That MSML is a Catholic school, you’re not very bright
No, it's a public school attended by Catholics. You do understand there is a difference, correct? We can go through all of the differences one by one if you need to, because frankly you seem a little dim by posting this in the first place.

But then again, I'm probably not very bright if I'm continuing this conversation with someone who doesn't understand the difference between a private and public school.

I think it is every year now. I think ML was the smallest school in DVI this year, barely making it past the cut line. Would love to see these two stay in D6, the best against the best.
The base enrollment only changes every two years, but the Competitive Balance number changes every year. If Marion Local's CB numbers drops by a couple next year, they could be in D7.

There have now been 10 seasons of 7 divisions - ML has only lost once to a DVII opponent: New Bremen in 2020 regional final

No, it's a public school attended by Catholics. You do understand there is a difference, correct? We can go through all of the differences one by one if you need to, because frankly you seem a little dim by posting this in the first place.

But then again, I'm probably not very bright if I'm continuing this conversation with someone who doesn't understand the difference between a private and public school.
When did I ever say ML was a private school?

So is it correct that Kirtland started only 2 seniors on defense against Marion?

If so that's amazing because the Hornets' defense was outstanding.

So is it correct that Kirtland started only 2 seniors on defense against Marion?

If so that's amazing because the Hornets' defense was outstanding.
Three seniors started on defense from what I can see. Looks like one of the players had a different # today (they have had jerseys get torn in recent years, so that could be a reason). The Hornets will bring back some solid talent, and so will the Flyers.

Congrats Marion Local 16-0, amazing. The Marion Local defense has to go down as one of the best. 11 shutouts, and 4 games with only one score.

Who is the defensive Coordinator at Marion Local? How long has he been at Marion Local and how long has he been coaching?

As a New Bremen alum, I hope this isn’t the case. LOL
How is the name of your school/town pronounced? I heard the Spectrum announcer say it "Bree-men" with a long "e" in the first syllable--but, the town in Germany, featured in the old children's story "the Bremen town musicians" was always pronounced (here in the US) as Bre-men (with a short "e" in the first syllable...

The Iron Church is open at 8am this AM and the Hornets are out in full force - including the 8th graders. The quest for the 2023 state championship starts today.

Yaaay a bunch of teams got made in china OHSAA trophies and a bus ride home!! Yaaay.

the only difference between what the winners got and what the losers got was the lettering on the green plastic faceplate.

and a beating. the winners all have to buy their own State Championship rings.

The Iron Church is open at 8am this AM and the Hornets are out in full force - including the 8th graders. The quest for the 2023 state championship starts today.
That kind of dedication is awesome - no doubt.

But might a short mental and physical break be a good thing?

Kids won't allow it. The workouts today were deemed mandatory by the Juniors and outgoing Seniors. It's pretty amazing. It's a mindset. I think the thought is once you find an excuse to miss - you will find more excuses to miss. I think their strength was on display yesterday. They were smaller then Marion Local but went toe to toe with them.

It's pronounced BREE men

Maybe at some point on the boat ride over the "founders" changed the pronunciation.

Regardless, the krauts there play good football!
Years ago i had a conversation with a fan from the MAC and he said it was the sturdy German stock from the area and the beer. 🙂 Forget the Catholics and make the Germans play their own championships! 😉

It's pronounced BREE men

Maybe at some point on the boat ride over the "founders" changed the pronunciation.

Regardless, the krauts there play good football!
BREE men would be the Appalachian dialect. like. Eye RACK instead of eh rach. EYE RAN instead of ee rahn

Absolutely not. These kids wanted to be there. They were texting all the people that had keys to the school to find someone to open the weight room today at 8am. 43 kids showed up. Even some 8th graders as they wanted to be with the team now. We will be back next year and see whoever in Canton. Hope it’s ML and we can take that best of 5 series.