D IV State Semi-Final: Steubenville (12-2) vs Wyoming (14-0)

Who wins?

• Steubenville

Votes: 58 43.9%
  • Wyoming

Votes: 74 56.1%

• Total voters
So a closed enrollment school from an upscale Cincinnati inner ring suburb with a very non diverse enrollment beats an open enrollment team it is a survey. Wyoming is within 10 min of St X, 15 min to LaSalle and 20 minutes to Moeller yet still manages to field competitive teams. My grand nephews go there and are super excited. Having seen Glenville beat up Avon (D2region finalist) I’m guessing Glenville steamrolls Wyoming but you never know.
If your grand nephews go there, then they should have told you that Wyoming is NOT "very non diverse"-- Wyoming looks like America, in just about every major ethnic respect (except Hispanic representation-- there are very few Hispanic students in Wyoming schools-- not close to the ~20-25% of the US population that Hispanics now constitute)... but, for White, Black, and Asian students, Wyoming is very much in-line with the US population as a whole.

He missed one series. Please don’t minimize the job Steubenville did with him. Yes we bottled him up but the first pass he caught in 11 weeks went for a TD. Wyoming OC did a fabulous job getting their playmakers in space and by being able to abort the run and win with the pass. Kudo’s for Wyoming. 1 play was the difference between winning and losing. Proud Steubenville Big Red fan signing off. As far as Glenville goes I think they saw the dangers of loading the box and I think Hester could really go off. At least I hope so. Go Cowboys beat Ginnville!!
I think Hester actually missed two offensive series, but I also think I acknowledged that "Steubenville did a good job on him", regardless... Hester's first pass reception (I believe) did NOT go for a TD-- I think it was the screen pass that moved Wyoming from its side of the field down to about the ~Steubenville 30-yard line-- and Hester broke several tackles on that play.

You may well be correct about "1 play was the difference between winning and losing"-- I would counter that Wyoming had 1 play that ALSO might have been that difference-- midway through the third quarter when Wyoming ran a reverse to Mitchell that resulted in a TD-- that was called back for holding... I'm not saying it was or wasn't the correct call--only that Wyoming had several big plays negated by penalties-- with that one being the most crucial... had Wyoming scored there, they would still have been leading ~26 (or 27)-20, when Wyoming got the ball back midway through the 4th quarter-- and Wyoming certainly then would NOT have gone for the (failed) 4th down conversion late in the 4th quarter that gave the ball back to Steubenville on the Wyoming ~35-yard line... in other words, one play (for Wyoming) would ALSO have made a HUGE difference in the outcome of the game.

I'm convinced that any school that fully utilizes open enrollment will beat a closed enrollment school 95% of the time. They draw more athletes, it's that simple. I'm speaking of the volume vs attrition sports, mainly football.
YOU may be convinced (not sure why you are), but your claim is simply NOT borne out by the facts-- the most successful schools (right now) in Ohio HS football (based on lengths of recent winning streaks-- and overall winning percentages over the last ~decade) are Kirtland and Maria Stein Marion Local-- and, as far as I know, both of them are closed enrollment schools-- and very small ones-- yet they not only pummel the schools in their division, they regularly pound schools in larger enrollment divisions as well. You could also say something similar about Wyoming (a closed enrollment district), which has nearly as high of a winning percentage in recent seasons as Kirtland and MSML, and also regularly beats schools from higher enrollment divisions.

So you had a problem with the game plan?
Yes! I believe you should always get the ball in your best players hand. Although the running game was effective you in turn chewed up much clock and I believe that plays in favor for Wyoming. It keeps the game close. Now I’m not saying throw it 30 times but to play in the biggest game of the year and your best receiver (arguably the best receiver to come out of BR statistically) doesn’t have any catches is insane to me.
It’s the equivalent of Wyoming not handing the ball to Hester because they found early success in the passing game.

....... I have not seen Glenville play, but everything I am reading says they are going to roll Wyoming and that would be a shame because Wyoming is a legit D4 team..
I may be out here with the crickets, but I don't think Glenville is gonna be "rolling" Wyoming this weekend. Matter of fact, I think Wyoming takes home the 'W". Just a hunch. We'll see.....

They targeted him 3 or 4x and his only catch was called back. He only had one catch against Hartley.

If he caught the TD on the opening series, and they won the game, is anyone complaining?
They also didn’t target him until late against linsly and they lost. I just believe you win or lose with your playmakers. If you find a way to get him involved maybe those 3 punts turn into tds and Wyoming is forced to play from behind

They also didn’t target him until late against linsly and they lost. I just believe you win or lose with your playmakers. If you find a way to get him involved maybe those 3 punts turn into tds and Wyoming is forced to play from behind
Realistically, Big Red didn’t need to throw the ball to win. Big Red could of ran the ball on every single snap and would of been fine if not better off. Most of the pass plays set BR back

I may be out here with the crickets, but I don't think Glenville is gonna be "rolling" Wyoming this weekend. Matter of fact, I think Wyoming takes home the 'W". Just a hunch. We'll see.....

Agreed. Glenville is obviously the favorite, but I have a hard time seeing anyone “rolling” the cowboys.

I’m in the camp that thinks Wyoming can win. Ginnville saw the dangers of loading the box. Talent level says Gwinnville is much better, but seeing how the Wyoming OC was able to deal so well when the running game was shut down tells me it’s coaching vs talent and that makes the game 50/50.

I think Hester actually missed two offensive series, but I also think I acknowledged that "Steubenville did a good job on him", regardless... Hester's first pass reception (I believe) did NOT go for a TD-- I think it was the screen pass that moved Wyoming from its side of the field down to about the ~Steubenville 30-yard line-- and Hester broke several tackles on that play.

You may well be correct about "1 play was the difference between winning and losing"-- I would counter that Wyoming had 1 play that ALSO might have been that difference-- midway through the third quarter when Wyoming ran a reverse to Mitchell that resulted in a TD-- that was called back for holding... I'm not saying it was or wasn't the correct call--only that Wyoming had several big plays negated by penalties-- with that one being the most crucial... had Wyoming scored there, they would still have been leading ~26 (or 27)-20, when Wyoming got the ball back midway through the 4th quarter-- and Wyoming certainly then would NOT have gone for the (failed) 4th down conversion late in the 4th quarter that gave the ball back to Steubenville on the Wyoming ~35-yard line... in other words, one play (for Wyoming) would ALSO have made a HUGE difference in the outcome of the game.
Can’t argue with that. It’s just tough when you can put a team away with 3 minutes to go and don’t get it done. And the fact that it was an “unforced” error makes it tougher to take. For me that was one of the most exciting games I’ve watched in a long time. Big Red has been in so many big games and have won our fair share and lost some heartbreakers. This one fits into the heartbreaker category. The best part of this years squad was they exceeded expectations in a big way. And the best part of being a big red fan…… we will always be right in the thick of things every year and we will win a whole helleva more than we lose. RRR, tradition never graduates!

Hopefully the freshman qb gets a shot to win the job. Kid is really talented
Agree.... but go ask Marcus Prather in 10’. Took our best WR moved to QB, which he never improved his passing skills since the Canton Mck game as a frosh. I think many thought let Marcus find his way during the season and when the playoffs come he’s ready and tested.
I get it. People use to ask me why Jeff Grill. I would always say “it’s what you don’t see with the younger QB that you do see with the Sr.

I feel like we never get on the same page with our QB/WR passing game. I think the timing/rhythm you just don’t see it.

Agree.... but go ask Marcus Prather in 10’. Took our best WR moved to QB, which he never improved his passing skills since the Canton Mck game as a frosh. I think many thought let Marcus find his way during the season and when the playoffs come he’s ready and tested.
I get it. People use to ask me why Jeff Grill. I would always say “it’s what you don’t see with the younger QB that you do see with the Sr.

I feel like we never get on the same page with our QB/WR passing game. I think the timing/rhythm you just don’t see it.
Isn't this an indictment of coaching?

Isn't this an indictment of coaching?
Your dying to criticize Reno and staff. Give that a rest. He’s the winningest coach in Ohio High School football history. Wins an average of 11 games a year. NINETEEN final fours etc etc etc. Coaching is the biggest strength of the SHS program. It sure isn’t because we out talent anybody.

Yes they are well coached. But Reno will be the first to show you that index card he keeps of teams/games we should have won.

That’s what I like about him. He takes the credit for losses. He owns them and will not run from them. It’s on him and he knows that.

Also unless a QB is talented. Are passing game suffers. We really don’t bring average QB’s along all that well.

RRR

Your dying to criticize Reno and staff. Give that a rest. He’s the winningest coach in Ohio High School football history. Wins an average of 11 games a year. NINETEEN final fours etc etc etc. Coaching is the biggest strength of the SHS program. It sure isn’t because we out talent anybody.
I'm not dying for anything-- I just want to know why the Steubenville fans insist that he is the best coach in Ohio HS football history (with the implication that he is STILL that today)-- and then they keep bringing up problems and issues with the Steubenville team's strategy ("we never get on the same page with QB/WR passing game"), tactics ("tackling the pass"), and execution ("this team regularly stops itself with its frequent penalties")-- ALL of these are coaching issues, if true-- how can BOTH sets of claims be true?

I will readily admit that the coach of my HS's team is NOT executing at the high level he once was, earlier in his career, when he was first winning state titles-- and he is FAAAAAR younger than Steubenville's coach-- coaches can (and almost certainly DO) slip as they grow older... maybe it's time to acknowledge it, if it's true.

I'm not dying for anything-- I just want to know why the Steubenville fans insist that he is the best coach in Ohio HS football history (with the implication that he is STILL that today)-- and then they keep bringing up problems and issues with the Steubenville team's strategy ("we never get on the same page with QB/WR passing game"), tactics ("tackling the pass"), and execution ("this team regularly stops itself with its frequent penalties")-- ALL of these are coaching issues, if true-- how can BOTH sets of claims be true?

I will readily admit that the coach of my HS's team is NOT executing at the high level he once was, earlier in his career, when he was first winning state titles-- and he is FAAAAAR younger than Steubenville's coach-- coaches can (and almost certainly DO) slip as they grow older... maybe it's time to acknowledge it, if it's true.
See Paterno, Joseph…Bowden, Robert…Hayes, Wayne Woodrow.

You had 1 underclassman contribute (RB). I read on here about the WR who was garnering “interest” from D1 & don’t think he had 1 catch. So, I guess running off and on the field is your definition of contributing, then yes we can guess you have all guys back who aren’t seniors.

We can probably go back to your yearly thread posts and see the same quotes. Everyone back next year,
barring injury…..
Well they have 2 contributing RBs back and the returning WR now has D1 offers.

Will pick this conversation back up in the regional final this year because they will be there….. Again.