The Official 2022-23 Transfer Portal Thread

AEW Champion

Your wife’s favorite poster
I figure it’s a good idea to have a thread for the portal since it figures to get very busy.

Among names who have recently entered the portal are:

QB Cade McNamara, Michigan
QB Brennan Armstrong, UVA
QB Hudson Card, Texas
WR Decoldest Crawford, Nebraska

It’s true, it’s true. Trust me …

Oregon State QB Chance Nolan has entered the portal. He’s a redshirt junior who was the returning starter this year, played five games this year before a neck strain, and never did return to play.

I gotta be honest, Oregon State is far from the top of my list of teams to tune in and watch, so I don’t have an opinion on him as a player, but the decent numbers and 20 starts mean someone will want him.

Drew Pyne is entering the transfer portal. Best wishes to him at his next destination. All things considered, he did pretty well for being placed into action in a tough spot he shouldn’t really have been in.

A whopping 12 Texas A&M Aggies have entered the portal already, including QB Haynes King and some other guys who were big-time recruits.

Linked is a rundown of all 12 of those guys.

DJ Uiagalelei is expected to enter the transfer portal. Plenty of QBs to chose from this off season...

DJ Uiagalelei is expected to enter the transfer portal. Plenty of QBs to chose from this off season...
His brother, Matayo, is a 5-star DE prospect, and close to the top of the board for OSU, as he's visited several times and is very high on the Buckeyes. It will be interesting to see if the family tries to work on selling them as a package deal so they can play together. Oregon would be a good landing spot for DJ, as they lose Bo Nix, and he's a West Coast kid. Selfishly, I hope Matayo ends up in Columbus - without his brother. Lol.

His brother, Matayo, is a 5-star DE prospect, and close to the top of the board for OSU, as he's visited several times and is very high on the Buckeyes. It will be interesting to see if the family tries to work on selling them as a package deal so they can play together. Oregon would be a good landing spot for DJ, as they lose Bo Nix, and he's a West Coast kid. Selfishly, I hope Matayo ends up in Columbus - without his brother. Lol.
Isn't daddy a big player in this situation? I thought I saw that somewhere...

Isn't daddy a big player in this situation? I thought I saw that somewhere...
He is, yes. And he's been a huge cheerleader for Ohio State throughout the recruitment as well, despite DJ having been at Clemson. I'm sure he will help drive the decision.

Big Dave is indeed very vocal, involved and a bit ostentatious. I’ve read the younger brother wants to make his own name but I wouldn’t be shocked if they both end up at the same school - unless Mateao chooses OSU. I just don’t see DJ coming here. I don’t think that’ll happen though.

Record number of kids in the portal.

Welcome to the giant $chitshow that has become college football. At least pros have to sign a contract. Good lord.

Reactions: y2h

Welcome to the giant $chitshow that has become college football. At least pros have to sign a contract. Good lord.
Yeah. Between that, the playoffs, the loss of regionalization, the NFL-ication and other stuff I feel like I’m heading toward not really giving a chit about college football. That is something I never thought possible. I always said the NFL can dry up and blow away as long as I have college football. They’ve pretty much ruined college basketball and they seem intent on dragging football down too.

And a lot of them won't have a landing spot on the other side.

Increasingly makes the early signing day important for traditional high school recruits. Might get your left behind if you try to wait out the process.

Totally different landscape than just a few years ago.

Arizona's Dorian Singer, who led the Pac-12 with 1,105 receiving yards this past season, entered the transfer portal

Any interest by Buckeyes?

Want to cure this situation, go to a baseball style model with some sort of minor league football option; it gives guys that are purely heading into NCAA football as a pathway to the NFL a paying gig and allow NFL teams to draft HS players and develop them with control for 5 years or so. If a player decides on the NCAA pathway they have to commit to 2 years at a single school before having the option of making themselves available for the draft. If they don't get drafted or don't like their slot they can either go back to their school for another 2 year block or have a 1 time transfer for another 2 year block. I think most players would be happy to give up yearly movement for a paying option to start their career. Coaches may like it too as they have some more roster stability but do lose the ability to bring higher level players into the fold as Freshmen.

Last edited:
Want to cure this situation, go to a baseball style model with some sort of minor league football option; it gives guys that are purely heading into NCAA football as a pathway to the NFL a paying gig and allow NFL teams to draft HS players and develop them with control for 5 years or so. If a player decides on the NCAA pathway they have to commit to 2 years at a single school before having the option of making themselves available for the draft. If they don't get drafted or don't like their slot they can either go back to their school for another 2 year block or have a 1 time transfer for another 2 year block. I think most players would be happy to give up yearly movement for a paying option to start their career. Coaches may like it too as they have some more roster stability but do lose the ability to bring higher level players into the fold as Freshmen.
College has become the minor leagues. The only difference is there is no contract so look for kids to bounce around 2 to 3 times before their career is over. 🤮

College football is alive and well but the game as I know it, and the one I really liked, is dead.

Agree, I have no doubt we will see players skipping their 3rd year of eligibility to avoid injury and prepare for the NFL draft as some did in 20. Maybe Harrison or Henderson, Willams from USC skip their jr. year, I would not be surprised.

This sounds eerily similar to my How to Fix College Football thread where I stated players should be made to sign two-year contracts with their first school so they can’t just get mad at lack of playing time as a freshman and transfer.

A minor-league football option would likely severely hurt college football, though.

Eh. I still prefer current and target-state CFB to the NFL, or any professional sport, any day of the week.

This sounds eerily similar to my How to Fix College Football thread where I stated players should be made to sign two-year contracts with their first school so they can’t just get mad at lack of playing time as a freshman and transfer.

A minor-league football option would likely severely hurt college football, though.

I’m not sure of the answer, but the current free for all isn’t a well thought out approach. It’s interesting to watch it play out however

With all these QB's in the portal, Indiana should be able to get a decent QB. There is absolutely no reason Indiana football is as bad as it is.