D VI State Semi-Final: Marion Local (14-0) vs. Columbus Grove (12-2)

Who wins?

• Marion Local

Votes: 95 88.8%
  • Columbus Grove

Votes: 12 11.2%

• Total voters
I remember that - he was hurting terribly and did not return to the game for quite a while.

But he's married now and has a family - so apparently all the critical components still function properly.
Got to meet that young man about 5 years later at work. Great guy. Asked him about how is a guy with your last name make it to Mercer County. Parents jobs. But he told me, dad was from Leipsic, and mom was from Kalida. He said the best part is he could walk the halls of Marion Local Schools and date any girl, unlike the rest of the Boys. But once he stepped in Putnam County he was related to a lot of the County. I was like "yep with those 2 names". Wish he still worked where I do. We had great conversations.

CG's AJ Shafer is #7 - correct?

He's a good linebacker and running back. Is he CG hc Andy Shafer's son?

Also, although CG lost to Allen East back in week 5, they held the Mustangs to just 7 points (game was 7-0). That's a good defensive showing by CG, because AE had a potent offense - Herschberger is a talented athlete.

Also, although CG lost to Allen East back in week 5, they held the Mustangs to just 7 points (game was 7-0). That's a good defensive showing by CG, because AE had a potent offense - Herschberger is a talented athlete.
Interesting because Allen East shut out CG and Marion Locall scored 55 on them. I can’t see anyone slowing down Marion Local.

Have to remember ML was throwing the ball up 48-0 under a minute left in the game
AE left their varsity in and was all out blitzing our JV. They tackled our running back right when he received the handoff. If you want courtesy and sportsmanship then you have to give it back in return. Goodwin doesn't run scores up. So apparently that really irked him. Also if you can't keep the other teams JV from scoring on you, you have other issues to resolve.

AE left their varsity in and was all out blitzing our JV. They tackled our running back right when he received the handoff. If you want courtesy and sportsmanship then you have to give it back in return. Goodwin doesn't run scores up. So apparently that really irked him. Also if you can't keep the other teams JV from scoring on you, you have other issues to resolve.
usually in a game like that , with the game out of hand, if one team has their JV's in, the other team should put their JV's in too....

Have to remember ML was throwing the ball up 48-0 under a minute left in the game
That TD almost cost ML their shutout as AE took the KO return back inside the Flyers 5 yd. line. The receiver that caught that the TD pass missed the entire season due to injury bit now has 2 TD receptions in the playoffs, stays healthy he will have a very good career for the Flyers.

Last edited:
Got to meet that young man about 5 years later at work. Great guy. Asked him about how is a guy with your last name make it to Mercer County. Parents jobs. But he told me, dad was from Leipsic, and mom was from Kalida. He said the best part is he could walk the halls of Marion Local Schools and date any girl, unlike the rest of the Boys. But once he stepped in Putnam County he was related to a lot of the County. I was like "yep with those 2 names". Wish he still worked where I do. We had great conversations.

For the NWC.

AE won 12 games and won the NWC but apparently has other issues to resolve

usually in a game like that , with the game out of hand, if one team has their JV's in, the other team should put their JV's in too....
Exactly. If you keep your varsity in and blitzing until then end then you have the right to open the playbook for your jv offense.

At the end...did msml put their starting defense back in to secure the shutout? I've seen teams do that before

ML also had double the amount of players AE had but yeah trot those JV’s out there!
Not quite ML has a roster of 69 players, AE I believe 52 (maxpreps). I am sure AE has a JV team not sure why a coach wants to leave the varsity in the game when it has been decided, give the JV's some playoff experience plus I am sure the starters at that point just want to get the game over. Anna let their starters in the entire game too and ML threw a 4th qtr. TD pass against them as well. JV vs varsity fair game.

ML also had double the amount of players AE had but yeah trot those JV’s out there!
This made me curious as I have heard this said before. Stirred has already posted the roster numbers.

Looking at the official OHSAA division breakdown page
Marion Local is listed 108 boys and a CB # of 5 for a total of 113
Allen East is listed with 133 boys and a CB # of 5 for a total of 138.
Marion Local's total of 113 is the smallest combined number in all of Division VI.

So I'm guessing getting more of your extra boys to go out for football might be one issue to address.

This made me curious as I have heard this said before. Stirred has already posted the roster numbers.

Looking at the official OHSAA division breakdown page
Marion Local is listed 108 boys and a CB # of 5 for a total of 113
Allen East is listed with 133 boys and a CB # of 5 for a total of 138.
Marion Local's total of 113 is the smallest combined number in all of Division VI.

So I'm guessing getting more of your extra boys to go out for football might be one issue to address.
AE has soccer, ML does not. That right there is another 15-20(?) boys?

BOOM