D IV State Semi-Final: Jefferson Area (11-3) vs Glenville (13-0) @ Perry Perry. “Hoosiers”. In real life.

Who wins?

• Glenville by 17+

Votes: 89 74.2%
  • Glenville by 8-16

Votes: 10 8.3%
  • Glenville by 1-7

Votes: 8 6.7%
  • Jefferson Area by 1-7

Votes: 6 5.0%
  • Jefferson Area by 8-16

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Jefferson Area by 17+

Votes: 6 5.0%

• Total voters
Yeah I doubt that…. West Holmes schedule is garbage yearly. Win the region you are in. Plain and simple.
Senior, Orrville and Licking Valley have all had state title games in the last 5 years. I would like to see 1 of our non conference games against a Stark county school. We had Barberton and Steubenville both in 2017.

Does Cleveland Public school district not have a significant international population that would be interested in soccer?

That's a good question. I've noticed that soccer tends to be more popular with immigrants from countries with hotter weather than the USA. I doubt that many of those immigrants end up in Cleveland. They are more likely to go to Miami, Los Angeles, Atlanta, or Houston.

Almost every school grabs a kicker from the soccer team - that is not an option at Glenville. The kicking at Glenville has always been to say it kindly - horrific. Most of your good programs have kids knocking them in from 40+ yards - Glenville cannot even make extra points.

I think that has always been everyone's perception as well. Imagine my surprise when Glenville kicked a last second 30-yard game-winning FG to beat St. Ignatius one year. I think it was in 2008 but I'm not sure of that. If one had heard that an Ignatius-Glenville game was decided by a last second FG I think most of us would have assumed that Ignatius won. Wrong! Actually, I think Glenville kicked two FGs in that game. I remember seeing highlights of the game.

I can think of at least one team's lack of a kicker probably cost them a state title.

I am sorry if your over in the corner crying... However he Is there best Defensive player, Also Returned a Punt for a TD against us that didnt't have anything to do with lineman. Also if the offensive lineman were blocking a little bit he wouldn't have to be breaking tackles behind the line of scrimmage every play. Is there O -line good sure... Its not great though and thats from watching the WB game and I know our Defense is bad. Glenville's is not....
I konw what you’re saying. WB defense had been giving up large chunks of yards and long td runs against athletic backs all year long . A lot of the damage occurred past the line of scrimmage where bad angles and horrible tackling in space turned average runs into td’s. It’s not taking anything away from the opposition’s linemen but focusing on a weak area of the WB defense. Hitchcock probably accounted for 95 % of their offense .

Last edited:
Senior, Orrville and Licking Valley have all had state title games in the last 5 years. I would like to see 1 of our non conference games against a Stark county school. We had Barberton and Steubenville both in 2017.
5 years ago matters in 2022 in what way???

I konw what you’re saying. WB defense had been giving up large chunks of yards and long td runs against athletic backs all year long . A lot of the damage occurred past the line of scrimmage where bad angles and horrible tackling in space turned average runs into td’s. It’s not taking anything away from the opposition’s linemen but focusing on a weak area of the WB defense. Hitchcock probably accounted for 95 % of their offense .
If I had told you Jefferson would have played cover 0 basically the entire game would you have gladly accepted that? Well Jefferson did AND they slowed down the vaunted passing attack in the process. That takes more than one guy.

I feel like the OHSAA needs to explain why they had two sites picked out. Basically one for West Branch vs Van Wert which I believe was Sidney, and one for Glenville vs West Branch, which was Canal Fulton.
The OSHAA had the Canal Fulton site already picked out, because they basically gave Jefferson no chance to win against West Branch. Jefferson screwed their site plans. Lol

hI feel like the OHSAA needs to explain why they had two sites picked out. Basically one for West Branch vs Van Wert which I believe was Sidney, and one for Glenville vs West Branch, which was Canal Fulton.

I thought it was because if Van Wert came out of R14 then the R13 winner, no matter who it was, would have played the R15 winner, no matter who it was and the R14 winner, Van Wert, would have played the R16 winner, either Cincy Wyoming or Taft.

If I had told you Jefferson would have played cover 0 basically the entire game would you have gladly accepted that? Well Jefferson did AND they slowed down the vaunted passing attack in the process. That takes more than one guy.
True . But Mulinix rushed for a mile instead and they still scored 6 tds.. WB defense and special teams was the difference because they couldn’t tackle Hitchcock.

Last edited:
5 years ago matters in 2022 in what way???
Non conference schedules are usually set several years in advance. West Holmes & Orrville agreed to a long term contract before Orrville won state. They played the first game of that contract the year after and got stomped. Took a break over Covid and since then West Holmes has destroyed Orrville. The point being what is "good" game one year could be a "bad" game the next.

Epic performance by Jefferson's QB, DB and punt returner. Not necessarily a 1 man show but without him you probably aren't playing in week 11. Embrace the fact that you have a kid that had an incredible game in every phase of the game. The corners played well and your line and linebackers were very disiplined.

I think people are getting confused. Two separate people said that Jefferson is a one man team. Nobody was talking about West Branch being a one man team. I don't believe either team is a one man show, or they wouldn't have played for a regional final last week. Stud players can carry a team, but are never the whole team. They can't make every tackle, defend every pass, or recover every loose ball. Two good teams, led by their leaders at QB, who just so happen to be the best athletes on their respective team.

True . But Mulinix rushed for a mile instead and they still scored 6 tds.. WB defense and special teams was the difference because they couldn’t tackle Hitchcock.
Yea, Jefferson played well and did a great job exploited WBs weakness over and over again. They also did a good job againt WBs passing game, but WB made some darn good adjustments - still scored enough to win most games and Mullinex had a great regional final game, that cannot to overlooked.

I think people are getting confused. Two separate people said that Jefferson is a one man team. Nobody was talking about West Branch being a one man team. I don't believe either team is a one man show, or they wouldn't have played for a regional final last week. Stud players can carry a team, but are never the whole team. They can't make every tackle, defend every pass, or recover every loose ball. Two good teams, led by their leaders at QB, who just so happen to be the best athletes on their respective team.
I was confused for a minute!!! you are exactly right. They don't win without him, but they also don't win if the other 10 don't perform their rolls. WB is an good example, DeShields had a rough game but they still put up 6 TDS and had a 240 rusher. both teams did their thing, Jefferson just did it a little better.

That's about as close to halfway for both schools as you could get. Does Glenville have a marching band? Jefferson??

I wonder if EBC coaches are watching that film and adding that Jefferson game plan to their offense?

My point was superstar DeShields was taken out of his game somewhat but Mullinix stepped up and ran wild instead and the WB offense scored 6 td’s. WB couldn’t take Jefferson’s superstar Hitchcock out of his game at all. If they had Jefferson would have been in trouble. Some take offense to the one man show comment but WB proved they could score even with a limited DeShields. Does anyone really believe Jefferson is in that game without Hitchcock?

I feel like the OHSAA needs to explain why they had two sites picked out. Basically one for West Branch vs Van Wert which I believe was Sidney, and one for Glenville vs West Branch, which was Canal Fulton.
I thought it was because if Van Wert came out of R14 then the R13 winner, no matter who it was, would have played the R15 winner, no matter who it was and the R14 winner, Van Wert, would have played the R16 winner, either Cincy Wyoming or Taft.
Correct @YTOWN

How it was released:

Division IV State Semifinals – Saturday, Nov. 26, 7 p.m.
If Glenville Wins Region 14:

Region 13 vs. Region 14 at Canal Fulton Northwest Jim Schalmo Field, Dr. Martin Smilek Stadium (Jefferson Area-Glenville)
Region 16 vs. Region 15 at Historic Crew Stadium, Columbus (Wyoming-Steubenville)
If Van Wert Wins Region 14:
Region 13 vs. Region 15 at East Liverpool Patterson Field (Jefferson Area-Steubenville)
Region 16 vs. Region 14 at Sidney Memorial Stadium (Wyoming-Van Wert)

Division IV Regional Finals – Saturday, Nov. 19
Region 13 -
1 Beloit West Branch (12-1) vs. 6 Jefferson Area (10-3) at Niles McKinley Bo Rein Stadium
Region 14 - 1 Cleveland Glenville (12-0) vs. 6 Van Wert (12-1) at Tiffin Columbian Frost-Kalnow Stadium
Region 15 - 2 Steubenville (11-2) vs. 4 Gnadenhutten Indian Valley (10-3) at St. Clairsville Red Devils Stadium
Region 16 - 1 Cincinnati Wyoming (13-0) vs. 2 Cincinnati Taft (11-2) at Lakota West Firebird Field

Last edited:
My point was superstar DeShields was taken out of his game somewhat but Mullinix stepped up and ran wild instead and the WB offense scored 6 td’s. WB couldn’t take Jefferson’s superstar Hitchcock out of his game at all. If they had Jefferson would have been in trouble. Some take offense to the one man show comment but WB proved they could score even with a limited DeShields. Does anyone really believe Jefferson is in that game without Hitchcock?
No they are not in the game without him- he was great in every phase.

I had hoped that the new rules would prevent a team like this in D4, heck these guys beat a D1 & D2 Elite 8 team in the early season. Would be shocked if they have another single digit ball game this year

Yeah wb did outgain Jefferson by 100 yds most of it on the ground. Jefferson had 2 tos and looks like the punt return td was one of the big plays that swung the momentum. Pretty even game as indicated by the score, wb must suck too if you listen to some of the posters lol.

No they are not in the game without him- he was great in every phase.
WB had a kid like that in ‘00 named Matt Rycraft that could take over a game. Took a very average team to the playoffs. 4 guys could miss a block and he could turn a 10 yard loss into a 70 yard touchdown.

WB had a kid like that in ‘00 named Matt Rycraft that could take over a game. Took a very average team to the playoffs. 4 guys could miss a block and he could turn a 10 yard loss into a 70 yard touchdown.
Yeah Hitchcock is a special player , think he took a beating in the 1st girard game and was slowed down for several games middle of the season. They actually started #1 the wr at qb the week after girard and he did really well beating Niles with Hitchcock at wr.

I had hoped that the new rules would prevent a team like this in D4, heck these guys beat a D1 & D2 Elite 8 team in the early season. Would be shocked if they have another single digit ball game this year
and barely got by Van Wert. You don't complain about the private Toledo area schools doing the same, why you shoe horning here? cringe.

and barely got by Van Wert. You don't complain about the private Toledo area schools doing the same, why you shoe horning here? cringe.
It’s one thing to see it in D1-D2, and another to see it in D4-D5. Again read my post, I specifically said D4

Last edited: