D2 State Semi-final: R6 Toledo Central Catholic (13-1) vs R8 Kings Mills Kings (13-1) @ Wapakoneta

Who wins?

• Toledo Central Catholic by a lot

Votes: 26 31.0%
  • Toledo Central Catholic by a little

Votes: 34 40.5%
  • Kings Mills Kings by a little

Votes: 24 28.6%
  • Kings Mills Kings by a lot

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Don't really know anything about TCC, but I know that Kings will give them a good game.

I've watched Kings play a few times this year. Their QB is their biggest threat in the run (lots of QB counters out of an empty formation). They like to spread it out and pass since they have a good OL and some good WRs. The defense has been pretty stout, they take away whatever you do best. Kings has been a stellar program for a while now. It has been a long time coming for them to get their first regional championship this year.

If TCC had a more prolific passing game, I would give them a real good shot at winning the state championship this season. They can still do it, but it will be a much harder road trying to do it by pounding teams at this level.
Their passing is pretty good when it needs to be. They are pretty balanced. In the cold of late November and early December, being able to run is pretty important. Clark is the best passing QB that Central has had in awhile.

Don't really know anything about TCC, but I know that Kings will give them a good game.

I've watched Kings play a few times this year. Their QB is their biggest threat in the run (lots of QB counters out of an empty formation). They like to spread it out and pass since they have a good OL and some good WRs. The defense has been pretty stout, they take away whatever you do best. Kings has been a stellar program for a while now. It has been a long time coming for them to get their first regional championship this year.
I am curious. How big is Kings up front?

Their passing is pretty good when it needs to be. They are pretty balanced. In the cold of late November and early December, being able to run is pretty important. Clark is the best passing QB that Central has had in awhile.
Being able to run is extremely important, but Hoban and Massillon aren't just going to let you do it at will...but mix in a solid passing attack and you can get that state championship. I would add Kings to that list, but haven't seen them enough to know their strengths and weaknesses.

I don't mind Wapak's home side and the visitors side is ok if your on the top row. This to me is not a stadium that should be hosting a D2 semi final. I'm a Sidney resident so of course I'm going to say this game should be in Sidney. Sidney has much better parking, right off the interstate and a way better visitor side. If I was Toledo, I would not mind to travel a other 15 to 20 minutes to a much better visitor side.

Oh well good luck to both teams and safe travels.
WAPAK is a great sight for that game......

Sidney's stadium is very nice. TCC played Trotwood Madison there in a downpour a few years back.

Based on pictures, Wapak's home side looks nice. Not a fan of the broken up stands on the visitor's side. Concourse looks decently sized and paved. Hope TCC gets the home side.
Wapah is ok but nowhere near close to Sidney. Just think of taking 4steps back

They are all over 6 foot with ranging from 220-270 lbs. They have been solid every time I've seen them.
That will be the interesting part. Central's line is always huge. LT: 6'3" 250lbs LG: 6'3" 270lbs C: 6'3" 285bs RG: 6'5" 325lbs RT: 6'5" 355lbs. BUT, I dont know how fast they are. In 2016, we played Trotwood with a similarly sized line but their DT's kept shooting the gaps and it caused Central fits and they shut us out. In general though, I'd say the OLine is Central's strength. The DLine for Central is also huge going 6'3" 280lbs, , 5'11" 265lbs, and 6'3" 270lbs. Cannings has been great at LB and Awls and Vargas has been great at DB. Those two will have their hands full with Kings receivers I think.

If TCC had a more prolific passing game, I would give them a real good shot at winning the state championship this season. They can still do it, but it will be a much harder road trying to do it by pounding teams at this level.
Yeah, sucks that the 6'2" running lefty can't pass.... :D

pretty much.
03-lmfao.gif

Cannings has been great at LB and Awls and Vargas has been great at DB. Those two will have their hands full with Kings receivers I think.
IIRC Cannings is on the line with Ellis as that LB/DE hybrid guy (maybe they both flip flop based on the play?)

If they can loosen up Kings with the pass, Edmonds and Clark will roll up a lot of yards on the ground. I’ve never seen Clark have to pass much.

I think they'll test King's line first with a bit of running. Unless Kings gets ball first and scores. Not sure how they'll respond.

I feel like I'm on a St Ed thread.

Is it King, Kings, or King's?

If they can loosen up Kings with the pass, Edmonds and Clark will roll up a lot of yards on the ground. I’ve never seen Clark have to pass much.
Based on watching very little TCC film, I would agree that TCC should focus on moving the ball in the ground and wearing kings down with their large O line. Throwing against the kings secondary can be hazardous!

Looks like TCC sends a backer just about every play, Kings will likely take advantage of that. So far in the playoffs it’s my opinion that the Kings coaches have “out game planned”everybody they’ve come up against.

Just got a look at that vid I posted early in the thread. Kings receivers are darn good. Great route runners. Great hands pulling in several contested passes. The QB Coker has a quick and strong arm. I don't think his line is going to have to hold that long.

WAPAK is a great sight for that game......
I agree Wapak is a nice sight, but as the voice said its not near as good as Sidney. Like I said earlier, if Kings brings the crowd that they brought to the WW game. I think they will be disappointed in the visitors stands.

I agree Wapak is a nice sight, but as the voice said its not near as good as Sidney. Like I said earlier, if Kings brings the crowd that they brought to the WW game. I think they will be disappointed in the visitors stands.
The home side is just as good Sidney, I have been to both. Yeah it has a track around the field but it is 6 lanes instead of 8 and the seating on the home side is steep which keeps the seating closer to the field. The home side will be very happy with the seating and the visiting side is not that bad. Heard that in the future they are going to redo the visitor seating.

After a season-opening loss, Central Catholic has romped through its schedule all the way to a Division II state semifinal berth.

The 13-1 Irish face another 13-1 team in Kings Mills Kings on Friday at 7 p.m. at Mercy Health Wapak Ford Field in Wapakoneta.

Here are three things to know about Central Catholic's opponent Kings Mills Kings:

1. They have a star QB

Quarterback Will Kocher was the Eastern Cincinnati Conference offensive player of the year this season. He is 273 of 422 passing for 4,168 yards and 45 TDs (12 INTs), while rushing for 716 yards and 13 more TDs.

In the regular season finale against Anderson, Kocher threw for 495 yards and six TDs.

His favorite targets are two 1,000-yard receivers in Michael Mussari (26 TDs) and Jake Cameron (8 TDs).

2. New territory

Kings beat Anderson 46-42 on Friday to make the state final four for the first time in program history. The Knights got past top-ranked and defending state champion Winton Woods in the regional semifinal
https://www.toledoblade.com/sports/...ium=standalone_content_recirculation_with_ads
Since the start of 2022, Kings is 30-3 with all three of those losses coming to Winton Woods.

Under coach Alex Galvin, the Knights are 37-7 in his four years.

3. Experience is key (so is talent)

Coming into this season, the Knights had 16 starters returning from a team that was 11-1 last year.

They have four players on their team who earned All-Ohio honors last season: Kocher (2nd team), Mussari (2nd team), linebacker Nick Hoying (2nd team), and offensive lineman Eli Eruri (honorable mention).
Toledo Blade article on Kings for anyone who doesn't want to shell out money to read it.

As for Stadiums- just north of Dayton… Troy, Piqua, and Sidney all have large beautiful stadiums. Perfect for in between northern schools and Cincy area schools. Troy no longer holds playoff games because they have grass. But that is about to change. Point being, that 15/20 mile stretch or I-75 has some of the best stadiums in the state.

Cal Preps: Central Catholic (Toledo, OH) 31 (74%) Kings (Kings Mill, OH) 21 (26%)

Fantastic 50: Toledo Central Catholic (13-1 D2 R6) by 17 (83%) neu Kings (13-1 D2 R8)

How's the weather looking for Friday?
I would definitely take Kings plus 10. Kings plus 17 is ridiculous, in my humble opinion.

The weather seems to be trending in the right direction. Should be in the 40's or high 30's for game time, and rain should be stopping earlier in the day.

Not sure if it’s true but there’s some people saying the team that sells more tickets will be on the home side. I always thought the higher seed was on the home side regardless.