Division III State Semifinal: Region 10 #1 Holy Name Green Wave (11-2) vs Region 9 #2 Canfield Cardinals (12-1) at Euclid Community Stadium

Who wins this Division III State Semifinal?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
The venue is great. Other parts aren't, including them turning a blind eye to some issues. Don't have wands and detectors if not going to use them. There is a clear reason why they exist there

Ridiculous take. Canfield's defense has proven again and again against high-power offenses that they are a top defense in all of Ohio. Give credit where credit is due man. They game planned extremely well and stopped Chardon. End of discussion.
Canfield's D played well yes and the game scheme was solid but aside from the two long runs by #11 and #12, Canfieds O wasnt overly impressive. Neither team passed well probably due to cold weather and winds whipping around in the stadium. Chardon had that one potential big gain pass drop which was self inflicted and had nothing to do with Canfield's secondary coverage. Field looked to be a bit slick which may have affected Chardons jet sweeps and speed. And Canfields North/South running game was perfect for the conditions. As far as proving "again and again" i assume you mean against the rest of their competition because this is the first time in 3 years they've showed up against Chardon. After looking back two years, they got outscored by the Hilltoppers by a combined 65-20.

And most schools/regions/divisions will have up and down years. Its a natural progression with attrition and recovery. Hard to load a team up with studs year in and year out unless the school can recruit and thats even limited due to available talent. Chardon is not the same as 2021 and 2020, neither is Kenston or Dover or any of them. Senior heavy teams may have issues next year, hard to say. But as far as D3 Region 9? I believe its the only Region in the state that had all 16 qualifiers with records of at least 6-4.

Chardon’s offense is not that good. Championship defense, yes, but offense, not even close. Canfield could win DIII, because this Division is down. I’m sure I’ll get drilled for saying that, but it is what it is. Canfield won 14-7 against a Chardon offense that is average at best.
Yeah thats a shame because their QB looked to have a solid arm. I think hes listed at 6-3? And it looked like their wideouts had plenty of speed. Their was definitely a clear path to the endzone on that dropped 4th quarter pass. That kid had smoked the CB and FS on that route. I just dont think they coach up that O line for pass protection.

OHSAA should strongly consider changing this game location after the events last night. Metal detectors serve no purpose in that lovely city if you disregard them going off like they did a week ago. Then add gun shots last night. Wouldn't be headed there again if my team was in it
Every time Euclid is mentioned as a possible host or actual host you complain. What gun shots are you speaking of? If Iggy was playing there Friday night against Region 2 with a chance to go to the State Championship with it being Coach's last game if he were to lose
south park beat a dead horse GIF
you would be there. Or you are not a true fan. I grew up in Euclid and have family there. I know everything about that city and what it has become. NOBODY is in danger Friday night. Get off the soapbox already brother!

As I mentioned you can go to the Mentor thread to read what happened last night. Them looking the other way when I set off the metal detectors a week ago is facts.

I dont need faux outrage because you want to deny what Euclid has become. It didn't happen overnight. We lived there from 2002-2004 and saw the beginnings first hand. I highly doubt multiple people are making up what happened last night. If you are in a city that needs to deploy detectors and wants, then use them.

R
Every time Euclid is mentioned as a possible host or actual host you complain. What gun shots are you speaking of? If Iggy was playing there Friday night against Region 2 with a chance to go to the State Championship with it being Coach's last game if he were to lose
south park beat a dead horse GIF
you would be there. Or you are not a true fan. I grew up in Euclid and have family there. I know everything about that city and what it has become. NOBODY is in danger Friday night. Get off the soapbox already brother!
Relax it’s high school football. You can be a true fan without going to a game. I mean it’s Friday night and not every adult wants to go watch their high school football team play again when actual adult things are going on lol.

Canfield's D played well yes and the game scheme was solid but aside from the two long runs by #11 and #12, Canfieds O wasnt overly impressive. Neither team passed well probably due to cold weather and winds whipping around in the stadium. Chardon had that one potential big gain pass drop which was self inflicted and had nothing to do with Canfield's secondary coverage. Field looked to be a bit slick which may have affected Chardons jet sweeps and speed. And Canfields North/South running game was perfect for the conditions. As far as proving "again and again" i assume you mean against the rest of their competition because this is the first time in 3 years they've showed up against Chardon. After looking back two years, they got outscored by the Hilltoppers by a combined 65-20.
again and again is referring to great defensive showings against high-powered opponents this season specifically (Ursuline, Chardon, Chaney).

I only care about what they did this year, lots of crying from Chardon. I have so much respect for that program, disappointed in some of their fans here

I only care about what they did this year, lots of crying from Chardon. I have so much respect for that program, disappointed in some of their fans here
I don’t see the “crying” that you’re pointing out. Saying that this Chardon team was no where near the previous two years, especially offensively is facts. I’ve watched every game for 10 years and have the right to make that statement, and it’s true.

So when Canfield pulls out a gritty hard fought 14-7 victory for the Regional 9 Title, I feel pretty confident in saying that Region 9 was not what it was all cracked up to be, because this Chardon team is not on the level of the previous two seasons. I’ve been saying this same thing for 9 weeks but no one wanted to listen, but now perceived as crying.

No crying here, Canfield won, deserved to win, was the better team, and I hope they represent Region 9 as a State Champion for the 4th time in 5 years.

I don’t know if they’ll roll their Region 10 opponent, Holy Name, but I think they win comfortably, 35-14. Good luck Canfield!!

R

Relax it’s high school football. You can be a true fan without going to a game. I mean it’s Friday night and not every adult wants to go watch their high school football team play again when actual adult things are going on lol.
I totally agree with your take. My work has kept me from attending the playoffs this year. But this guy has a hard on for Byers and hates Euclid because he is a far westsider. I'm only pointing out that if Iggy had got past Ed's and this game were at Euclid he would be there. And if not ,( because it was at Euclid) then I would question his fandom. Of course life and work are very valid reasons for not attending. Protesting the location is pointless. It's a great stadium by the way.

The stadium is great. The area isn't. That's a fact. And the rest I said about what happened are facts. The fact you don't like facts doesn't change facts. Euclid should not host a playoff game again until they use the devices they obviously put there for a reason.

Tell us....why are there metal detectors and wands there but not many other stadiums? Coincidence?

The stadium is great. The area isn't. That's a fact. And the rest I said about what happened are facts. The fact you don't like facts doesn't change facts. Euclid should not host a playoff game again until they use the devices they obviously put there for a reason.

Tell us....why are there metal detectors and wands there but not many other stadiums? Coincidence?
I empathize with you. Fans of two Parma parochials were force to travel to Maple Hts. Friday at rush hour with the added benefit of getting wanded for weapons upon entry when a perfectly fine facility was 1 and 3 miles from our respective schools.

That was pure sarcasm. This would be enough:

D3 semi-final: Holy Name vs. Canfield
Yes I know, actually in years past I had my thread titles edited because the moderator wanted to include certain information, they actually made them longer (I am being 100% serious). I specifically remember this happening one time Canfield played SV-SM in the playoffs, maybe 2013.

I don’t see the “crying” that you’re pointing out. Saying that this Chardon team was no where near the previous two years, especially offensively is facts. I’ve watched every game for 10 years and have the right to make that statement, and it’s true.

So when Canfield pulls out a gritty hard fought 14-7 victory for the Regional 9 Title, I feel pretty confident in saying that Region 9 was not what it was all cracked up to be, because this Chardon team is not on the level of the previous two seasons. I’ve been saying this same thing for 9 weeks but no one wanted to listen, but now perceived as crying.

No crying here, Canfield won, deserved to win, was the better team, and I hope they represent Region 9 as a State Champion for the 4th time in 5 years.

I don’t know if they’ll roll their Region 10 opponent, Holy Name, but I think they win comfortably, 35-14. Good luck Canfield!!
So to summarize. The team I follow lost, so the whole region sucks. Duly noted.

Last edited:
People need to stop complaining about Euclid. It's honestly getting kinda old. I was at the Division VI state semifinal game last year (the snow bowl) and I had no problems at all. Yes, things happened after games, and that sucks. My suggestion, if people don't like it, don't go.

I will be there for the state semifinal next Friday. And it is a nice stadium (probably one of the nicest in the area). As far as the actual GAME goes, I expect a solid game between two great teams who did a lot to get as far as they did. Canfield won an ugly one, but a win is a win, no matter how you slice it. Holy Name THUMPED their rival to capture their first regional crown in YEARS, and that's no small feat.

I know the area is not great. You get off the freeway ,park your car , and attend the game. I've parked in the front lot at Parma Town and walked by Antonio's pizza down the dark alley to the ticket booth at Byers. Anything can happen anywhere. I park at Euclid Police station when attending games fwiw.

People need to stop complaining about Euclid. It's honestly getting kinda old. I was at the Division VI state semifinal game last year (the snow bowl) and I had no problems at all. Yes, things happened after games, and that sucks. My suggestion, if people don't like it, don't go.

I will be there for the state semifinal next Friday. And it is a nice stadium (probably one of the nicest in the area). As far as the actual GAME goes, I expect a solid game between two great teams who did a lot to get as far as they did. Canfield won an ugly one, but a win is a win, no matter how you slice it. Holy Name THUMPED their rival to capture their first regional crown in YEARS, and that's no small feat.
Finally someone with a reasonable take.

I have been to a few games at Euclid and never had a problem. I am actually surprised there were metal detectors. I think they used them for only 1 of the games i have been to. As for parking--what is the problem with the lot outside of the stadium? There seemed to be enough space, the lot is well lit, and I never had an issue getting out of there.

I have been to a few games at Euclid and never had a problem. I am actually surprised there were metal detectors. I think they used them for only 1 of the games i have been to. As for parking--what is the problem with the lot outside of the stadium? There seemed to be enough space, the lot is well lit, and I never had an issue getting out of there.
Count me in as somebody who has never had a problem at Euclid, and It's been dozens of times over the past 5 or so years. Granted, someplace like Streetsboro, Hudson or Ravenna would be more central for Canfield (and nearly just as close for HN as Euclid is), but based on other OHSAA site decisions, I won't complain about Euclid getting this one (remember it's about who bids and Euclid will absolutely bid on any game possible).

I’ve been going to high school games since 1982,went to Kenston vs University game a few weeks ago and in 40 years of games this was the first time I had been checked for weapons (this is clesrly what they were looking for) so that should give u a heads up there’s a potential problem.with Canfield and Holy Name playing that culture doesn’t present a problem,would I go to watch Euclid play Cleveland Hts or Garfield no

So to summarize. The team I follow lost, so the whole region sucks. Duly noted.
As posted earlier:

Region 9 was down compared to the last 3 years. There were times in the last 3 seasons when 7 of the top 10-12 in the state rankings were from region 9. The addition of the privates this year weakened Region 9 overall. Yeah, Ursuline was good and Chardon Canfield also good. But adding Gilmour, CVCA, VASJ, Hawken and US softened the region.
Losing Steubenville (how they ever were put in region 9 is still puzzling), Hubbard, SVSM, undefeated Dover and Streetsboro (loaded up with Akron city kids and Mike Hall) made for a weaker region and yes Division. Those 5 were better overall than anything added in the region this year. Tallmadge and Aurora were both state ranked in those years also. I think they were both a little down this year.

Of course, these things are cyclical. Division 2 is a monster this year. So many good teams and arguably tougher than D1. No way division 3 got better this year.

If you don't see it that's on you not the Chardon guy.

There is nothing wrong with Euclid. The stadium is fantastic. You are right on top of the field.

Good luck to Canfield. I am really surprised they won Region 9, but they are playing some really good football right now.
Agreed, canfield has been playing very good offense and defense lately.

As posted earlier:

Region 9 was down compared to the last 3 years. There were times in the last 3 seasons when 7 of the top 10-12 in the state rankings were from region 9. The addition of the privates this year weakened Region 9 overall. Yeah, Ursuline was good and Chardon Canfield also good. But adding Gilmour, CVCA, VASJ, Hawken and US softened the region.
Losing Steubenville (how they ever were put in region 9 is still puzzling), Hubbard, SVSM, undefeated Dover and Streetsboro (loaded up with Akron city kids and Mike Hall) made for a weaker region and yes Division. Those 5 were better overall than anything added in the region this year. Tallmadge and Aurora were both state ranked in those years also. I think they were both a little down this year.

Of course, these things are cyclical. Division 2 is a monster this year. So many good teams and arguably tougher than D1. No way division 3 got better this year.

If you don't see it that's on you not the Chardon guy.
The teams entering the region you referenced went a combined 47-11 this year (not counting the playoffs). Ursuline was the D4 state runner up last year. My comment was solely intended for "The Chardon Guy" and his obviously passive/aggressive Canfield takes. He fully expected Canfield to fold but instead Chardon got punched in the mouth. If it wasn't for the blocked punt and short field they wouldn't have scored at all.

Please look at the teams Hawken, US, Gilmour, CVCA played. A very inflated 47-11. Lot of D5, D6 teams on those schedules. Warrensville Hts., Grand Valley, Tuslaw, Trinity, Beachwood, Manchester on their schedules. There's a reason none of them were state ranked like Dover, SVSM, Streetsboro, Hubbard and Steubenville were in those "glory years" years of region 9. And Aurora and Tallmadge were down. No way those privates made for a better region in 2022.