Division I Semifinal: St Edward (13-1) vs Gahanna Lincoln (13-1)

Who wins?

• St Edward by 17+

Votes: 39 45.9%
  • St Edward by 8-16

Votes: 27 31.8%
  • St Edward by 1-7

Votes: 8 9.4%
  • Gahanna Lincoln by 1-7

Votes: 8 9.4%
  • Gahanna Lincoln by 8-16

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Gahanna Lincoln by 17+

Votes: 3 3.5%

• Total voters

Gahanna’s bookends on defense are probably second only to Ed’s. They are very good on that side of the ball with D1 talent, and their offense is greatly improved from earlier in the year. This is not a cakewalk game by any stretch. Like the UA game last year, I could see us in for a dogfight.

Keep sleeping on Gahanna- their defense is legit and their rb is nasty. Eds will take this but Gahanna will fight 24-10 Ed’s
This is not an insult, I promise, but it says a lot about the state of Ohio D1 football, and the dominance of St Eds that being in a "fight" and losing by 2 TDs is considered something positive.

Gahanna has a little more talent than UA did last year, but I'm not sure Gahanna's overall defense is any better. Offensively, I think Gahanna is a little too limited to really threaten the D1 giants.

Anyway, if Ed's doesn't play well they could find themselves in another uncomfortable game where it's a bit of slog to move the ball, BUT, you don't ever really feel like Gahanna is capable of scoring much. I'll say it's something LIKE that type of game, but with a little more a cushion...

Ed's 24-7. But it will be a gradual 24. Gahanna sticks in the game but it never really feels like they can win the game.

the qb play of Ed’s just keeps getting more effective and efficient.

The St Ed’s game plan is run and play great defense. The size and skill of the lines is what makes this team.

field goals / xp are my biggest concern can’t have games where you miss 4-5 kicks.

Lions need some breaks here- turnovers, keep the field turned in their favor, mistake-free football, and hope Ed's has some miscues- the typical fare on an underdog's menu. But anyone in the final four is legit.

Hope Gahanna represents Columbus well.

Ed's was supposed to roll UA last year and clearly didn't. They were clearly the better team of course, but it was fairly competitive and close on the scoreboard. ED's is a 24 point favorite per Pasteur whose numbers have been pretty sharp in these D-1 games in the play-offs overall. To me Gahanna is more talented than that UA team last year but not as disciplined or as well coached overall. 24 is too high though to lay , although ED's '" Can " win by margin higher than this, I think Gahanna can hold them to about 27-28 and they would need to be shut out to cover. I think Mentor just couldn't finish drives so I do think Gahanna will finish at least once in the red zone Made the line 18 . Gahanna defense has some dudes, but did get gashed by the excellent NA RB after shutting him down the first time. SE looking at that tape as we speak, although they don't run that scheme on offense , they can add a couple wrinkles that could try to slightly mimic. [Traps counters etc. }

The best public-school football is in the Columbus area. It's still not as good as the Catholic powerhouses. Eagles will fly in this one.
Is that right? Check the Dayton vs Columbus public school records this season.
GWOC 8-0 vs OCC this year including
Wayne (6-5) beat Pick Central (10-4)
Centerville (10-3) beat Gahanna Lincoln (13-1)

Staying on this thread’s topic though, I’d love to see GL pull the upset. They’re much better than folks give them credit for… mostly those who haven’t seen them play are discounting them. Their defense is nasty and Hubbard is a stud. Really hoping for a GL vs Springfield final!

Anything can happen but Ed’s is gonna run all over and grind this out. Bulloch to me coming into his own and gaining confidence is the number one factor.

that mentor game could have easily have been 42-0 multiple deep drives that didn’t produce.

35-10 Eagles.

Anything can happen but Ed’s is gonna run all over and grind this out. Bulloch to me coming into his own and gaining confidence is the number one factor.

that mentor game could have easily have been 42-0 multiple deep drives that didn’t produce.

35-10 Eagles.
That's a little too optimistic. I think you've got to give Gahanna more credit. I realize a lot of folks don't hold R3 in high regard this year, but Gahanna seems to be a big school program on the rise.
Besides, after 14 weeks of a brutal schedule, we've got a lot of nagging injuries to key players and we'll have to suck it up to get to week 16. I'd love to see us be able to rest some guys, but I don't think Gahanna will afford us that luxury.

I suppose I should be thinking the same way some of the Eagles fans are- respect the opponents, anything can happen, etc.

The reality is that it's only a matter of who Eds defeats for the state title. The Eagles will not be challenged in the state semi-final or final.

the qb play of Ed’s just keeps getting more effective and efficient.

The St Ed’s game plan is run and play great defense. The size and skill of the lines is what makes this team.

field goals / xp are my biggest concern can’t have games where you miss 4-5 kicks.
You covered the bases well. I began to especially notice the passing game make significant improvement week 7 vs Ignatius. Casey Bullocks efficiency, with numbers like 12-14 and 14-18, has been remarkable. Kyan Mason and #4 deserve some credit there as well.

The defense is a given. Numerous guys have emerged in addition to the exploits of one of the best edge tandems in state history. And the kicking game remains something of a concern.

I suppose I should be thinking the same way some of the Eagles fans are- respect the opponents, anything can happen, etc.

The reality is that it's only a matter of who Eds defeats for the state title. The Eagles will not be challenged in the state semi-final or final.
Moeller and Springfield both give me pause, though I do see Eds the favorite, and suspect it's possible we'll all be having the same D1 conversation a year from now.

You covered the bases well. I began to especially notice the passing game make significant improvement week 7 vs Ignatius. Casey Bullocks efficiency, with numbers like 12-14 and 14-18, has been remarkable. Kyan Mason and #4 deserve some credit there as well.

The defense is a given. Numerous guys have emerged in addition to the exploits of one of the best edge tandems in state history. And the kicking game remains something of a concern.
Have to go with Ed on this one. Too big and physical for Gahanna. Good luck from Tigertown.

Moeller and Springfield both give me pause, though I do see Eds the favorite, and suspect it's possible we'll all be having the same D1 conversation a year from now.
We will. Eds is on another level right now. Losing Kilbane and Gideon will be tough, but not enough to slow down another title.