Northwest Conference 2022

Late to the party, but congrats to CG and AE. Both teams looked really good in season. That "small" AE line that many said wasn't great and shouldn't have dominated my Knights are getting after it. Grove has a great shot this weekend. AE is hitting a buzzsaw but there is a reason you play the game. Anything is possible. Good luck to both teams and I look forward to making a trip to state semis to support one or both.
sounds like the Flyers are a little banged up

Good luck to both ML & AE as well as CG. I've been hard on the NWC, but AE & CG made it where they should have. Both programs are what the other NWC programs need to want to be & more.

sounds like the Flyers are a little banged up
I read somewhere on the MAC thread that the Flyers defense is setting records. It sounds like it is the next man up mentality and they aren't giving up any points. Is this the best Flyers team you have seen in the MAC in your years of watching or playing?

I read somewhere on the MAC thread that the Flyers defense is setting records. It sounds like it is the next man up mentality and they aren't giving up any points. Is this the best Flyers team you have seen in the MAC in your years of watching or playing?
defensive wise... yes...

Northwest District honors came out last night. Grove was well-represented:
Defensive Co-Player of the Year - Tad Koch
1st team RB - Trenton Barazza
1st team LB - Tad Koch, AJ Schafer
1st team DL - Dillon Bryan
1st team DB - Shep Halker
Several second teams and honorable mentions to go along with that. How'd the rest of the league do? I saw Hershberger of Allen East got Offensive Co-Player of the year

There was two minutes left in the game against a team with no timeouts. Kneel it three times and the clock is killed. Especially in high school when the play clock isn't exactly reset as quickly as professional ball or college. It was a coaching error. I don't put that on the kid. They may have been forced to punt with 10-20 seconds left in the ballgame.
Ask Van Wert about that scenario when they played Wapak. Many argued their coach should have gone for it on fourth down instead of punting.

Northwest District honors came out last night. Grove was well-represented:
Defensive Co-Player of the Year - Tad Koch
1st team RB - Trenton Barazza
1st team LB - Tad Koch, AJ Schafer
1st team DL - Dillon Bryan
1st team DB - Shep Halker
Several second teams and honorable mentions to go along with that. How'd the rest of the league do? I saw Hershberger of Allen East got Offensive Co-Player of the year
Looks like most are seniors, next season that will be tough to replace.

Looks like most are seniors, next season that will be tough to replace.
Grove will be in good shape, especially offensively. Barazza is a sophomore and already the highest voted running back in the district, 4/5 offensive linemen will return and 2/3 receivers will return, plus freshman QB Landon Best has already had varsity starts this year and looked good in them. Not sure about the rest of the league - I expect Bluffton to be better, I think they only had 4-5 seniors. Allen East will probably stay in the top 3 but they're very senior-heavy this year

Hindsight always 20/20.
naw they made the wrong decision in real time. even before the punt was blocked, it was the wrong decision to punt.

10 seconds left in the game. 4th and 1. 5 point lead. would you rather have the football in your potential division 1 qb's hands or the punter?

if you get the first down, you win. if you go for it and don't get it, the opposing team has to go 60 yards in 5 seconds.

if you get the punt away, you win. if you get the punt blocked, you lose.

there's a right answer there, and VW's coach didn't make the right one. Lots of coaches make a bad decision now and then. it isn't a knock on the guy, they just made the wrong decision at the time, and the one way they could lose, they lost.

if you get the punt away, you win. if you get the punt blocked, you lose.
I’d guess that fewer than 5% of blocked punts result in touchdowns, but I’m willing to say that I also think he made the wrong call. I also submit he’d have been ridiculed if he went for it on 4th down, didn’t make it, and Wapak pulled off a miraculous play to win it.

I’d guess that fewer than 5% of blocked punts result in touchdowns, but I’m willing to say that I also think he made the wrong call. I also submit he’d have been ridiculed if he went for it on 4th down, didn’t make it, and Wapak pulled off a miraculous play to win it.
You're right that "the punt gets blocked, you lose" is probably too strong now knowing the hindsight, but I'd guess that percentage goes up, maybe even dramatically, when you're rushing 11 guys.

I'd guess you're also probably right that people would criticize if he went for it and didn't get it. Honestly, the best option might have been to just snap it to the QB, have him run around for as long as he could, and then throw the ball into the 20th row of the bleachers.

Grove will be in good shape, especially offensively. Barazza is a sophomore and already the highest voted running back in the district, 4/5 offensive linemen will return and 2/3 receivers will return, plus freshman QB Landon Best has already had varsity starts this year and looked good in them. Not sure about the rest of the league - I expect Bluffton to be better, I think they only had 4-5 seniors. Allen East will probably stay in the top 3 but they're very senior-heavy this year
Although Grove is losing their trio of senior linebackers and lineman and they play on their strength of a dominant defense. Will they be able to keep up that momentum. Best looks to have great potential especially in the ability to use his feet from what I have seen and their OL has definitely improved over the season. I agree on Bluffton and Jefferson may be working it's way up too.

Although Grove is losing their trio of senior linebackers and lineman and they play on their strength of a dominant defense. Will they be able to keep up that momentum. Best looks to have great potential especially in the ability to use his feet from what I have seen and their OL has definitely improved over the season. I agree on Bluffton and Jefferson may be working it's way up too.
Didn't Jefferson have over 10 seniors on this year's team?

Crestview isn't. They're too worried about dumb crap. Kids getting in trouble for supporting family & neighbors of other schools. Crestview has 3 Indiana neighboring districts. Bellmont is one and had their volleyball team make it to the finals as runner ups. Adams Central (my Alma Mater) is another that is playing at semi state this week and could possibly make another trip to the state finals the following week (most likely runner ups to Indy Lutheran again if we are so fortunate). Heritage is the other that beat Bellmont's volleyball team but a bad draw kept them from state runner ups. Anyway kids have been supporting their family from those schools & others and getting in trouble for not having school spirit. Kids were ragging how bad the football program has become in just a short time. Instead of fixing that problem they focus on clothes of other schools. Yet I didn't hear anything when my son at Adams Central wore Crestview gear when the Knights made the final 4 of volleyball. The culture needs changed in Convoy! Bluffton & Jefferson seem to be trending like Grove & Allen East. Sure Leipsic is too.

It pains me to say but I think Grove is back again next year, and since the regions stay the same they probably make another deep playoff run, they have to much talent back, looks like some talented sophomores so probably two more years of this,,,,,that said I do see Bluffton as a strong runner up and hopefully they get a win or two in playoffs but again that D5 region is nails

I think Jefferson will have a huge drop off. Their senior class was talented but after that I don't think they have much.

I think Jefferson will have a huge drop off. Their senior class was talented but after that I don't think they have much.
After seeing a few NWC games this year and watching WOSN replays I have some thoughts.

The top two will be fine. One of the games I saw was Bluffton/Grove and I attended the first two AE playoff games. You can't replace the OPOTY but AE has good kids. Replacing the DPOTY and those LB's won't be easy either but Grove has plenty back as well. The question is who can rise up and challenge them in 2023. Jefferson simply had a small squad and it looks like their graduation losses are going to smart next year but once they got hot they were a tough out. Teman would have been a dominant player for any school in the NWC. To me it looks like Bluffton can run and they have skill but they lack size. Someone mentioned that they had 4-5 seniors so maybe if some of those young kids grow into their bodies they could be a serious threat. Leipsic was decimated by injuries but the Schroeder kid is real good when healthy. Can he use his speed and get a little shake like Hershberger? I don't know, but if he's healthy he is a threat to be OPOTY next season. Crestview got banged up as well and I really don't know enough about them to hazard a guess. Ada at times looked like they were making progress but what they are returning I don't know. It looks like things might be dry in Spencerville for a while.

Crestview isn't. They're too worried about dumb crap. Kids getting in trouble for supporting family & neighbors of other schools. Crestview has 3 Indiana neighboring districts. Bellmont is one and had their volleyball team make it to the finals as runner ups. Adams Central (my Alma Mater) is another that is playing at semi state this week and could possibly make another trip to the state finals the following week (most likely runner ups to Indy Lutheran again if we are so fortunate). Heritage is the other that beat Bellmont's volleyball team but a bad draw kept them from state runner ups. Anyway kids have been supporting their family from those schools & others and getting in trouble for not having school spirit. Kids were ragging how bad the football program has become in just a short time. Instead of fixing that problem they focus on clothes of other schools. Yet I didn't hear anything when my son at Adams Central wore Crestview gear when the Knights made the final 4 of volleyball. The culture needs changed in Convoy! Bluffton & Jefferson seem to be trending like Grove & Allen East. Sure Leipsic is too.
That's unfortunate that Crestview is being unsupportive! Hopefully there is a culture change soon before their program gets run into the ground.

It pains me to say but I think Grove is back again next year, and since the regions stay the same they probably make another deep playoff run, they have to much talent back, looks like some talented sophomores so probably two more years of this,,,,,that said I do see Bluffton as a strong runner up and hopefully they get a win or two in playoffs but
Agreed. From what i seen on video i was expecting Bluffton to put up a little more of a fight, their rb looks to have some great speed too, but their size was not enough to compete with Grove's front men. Grove definitely has some talent coming back, i believe a couple of their sophomores even made 1st or 2nd team for NWC.

Agreed. From what i seen on video i was expecting Bluffton to put up a little more of a fight, their rb looks to have some great speed too, but their size was not enough to compete with Grove's front men. Grove definitely has some talent coming back, i believe a couple of their sophomores even made 1st or 2nd team for NWC.
Totally agree, Bluffton is three years away from the title,,,but they will be top three for next two years and who knows maybe we get one. I am very impressed with the Grove sophomores couple of all district guys, can't say I'm happy to see a freshman getting in at QB for them,,, however we have some freshman that are going to really put the league on notice next year, Giesige is a man child the league is going to get tired of seeing him for the next four years

Totally agree, Bluffton is three years away from the title,,,but they will be top three for next two years and who knows maybe we get one. I am very impressed with the Grove sophomores couple of all district guys, can't say I'm happy to see a freshman getting in at QB for them,,, however we have some freshman that are going to really put the league on notice next year, Giesige is a man child the league is going to get tired of seeing him for the next four years
I'll have to listen for that name. From the looks the Grove freshman may be a threat on his feet and passing pretty on point too. Grove's sophomore two way lineman could become a real menace. It's great the NWC has some real talent coming up to follow the graduates.

That's unfortunate that Crestview is being unsupportive! Hopefully there is a culture change soon before their program gets run into the ground.
After yesterday's separate incident involving my stepdaughters' safety, my stepkids may not be attending Crestview much longer if things aren't properly handled. This incident had nothing to do with sports or other school support. I won't go into further detail as I may need to look into legal action as they and others were what I call victims & possible future victims.

After yesterday's separate incident involving my stepdaughters' safety, my stepkids may not be attending Crestview much longer if things aren't properly handled. This incident had nothing to do with sports or other school support. I won't go into further detail as I may need to look into legal action as they and others were what I call victims & possible future victims.
Shoot! That doesn't sound good man.

Shoot! That doesn't sound good man.
Just say I'm disappointed with how things were handled based on what I know so far. I'll get more of the schools side on Monday night to make my decision. Unfortunately their father could want them to remain regardless of their handling. Though surprisingly he's been in a similar mindset as the wife & I so far.

Just say I'm disappointed with how things were handled based on what I know so far. I'll get more of the schools side on Monday night to make my decision. Unfortunately their father could want them to remain regardless of their handling. Though surprisingly he's been in a similar mindset as the wife & I so far.
Good luck, hope you get it all straightened out.