2022 CFP Projections

Lastly, having three American teams in the Top 25 while stronger teams like Texas, Pitt, Syracuse, Arkansas, etc. are omitted is ridiculous.
All the American teams are 8-2 (5-1 in conference). You want 4-loss Texas ranked? 4-loss Pitt? 4-loss Syracuse? 5-loss Arkansas?

Pitt, Syracuse and Arkansas are all .500 or worse in conference as well. If you can't have a winning record within your conference, how can you be considered a top 25 team?

All the American teams are 8-2 (5-1 in conference). You want 4-loss Texas ranked? 4-loss Pitt? 4-loss Syracuse? 5-loss Arkansas?

Pitt, Syracuse and Arkansas are all .500 or worse in conference as well. If you can't have a winning record within your conference, how can you be considered a top 25 team?
Texas’s four losses are by a combined 18 points, including a one-point loss to Alabama and 7-point loss to TCU. They absolutely are a Top 25 team.

Arkansas beat the American’s Cincinnati head to head and two of its losses are games that would have been totally different had KJ Jefferson played. I consider them a Top 25 team.

Of the three American teams in the Top 25, they’ve combined for a total of one relevant win: Tulane’s early-season 7-point win at K-State.

It’s true, it’s true. Trust me …

Another great committee showing this week. They are undefeated!
I don’t think so!

If we want competent rankings, we need to put people who know football into the committee room instead of empty-suit athletic directors. Off the top of my head, here would be an ideal 13-man committee that kids could be proud of:

AEW Champion (czar)
Lou Holtz
Steve Spurrier
Philip Fulmer
Bob Stoops
Dan Mullen
Kirk Herbstreit
Joel Klatt
Ray Lewis
Jerome Bettis
Trev Alberts
Caesars representative TBD
MGM representative TBD

Put those 13 gentlemen into a conference room and you get the most influential, impactful roundtable since The Last Supper.

The metrics that each fan base uses to support their team's position is getting almost comical. What is more important, wins over ranked teams, good losses, or the good old eye test? Also the unbalanced talent distribution of the sport really makes it tough to compare teams and leads to blow outs so that those that subscribe to the eye test get their eye candy. Bottom line is it will get even worse when this thing expands and a trending team at 12 gets bounced for a group of 6 title winner.

Texas’s four losses are by a combined 18 points, including a one-point loss to Alabama and 7-point loss to TCU. They absolutely are a Top 25 team.

Arkansas beat the American’s Cincinnati head to head and two of its losses are games that would have been totally different had KJ Jefferson played. I consider them a Top 25 team.

Of the three American teams in the Top 25, they’ve combined for a total of one relevant win: Tulane’s early-season 7-point win at K-State.

Top 25 teams win games, not lose them. There’s no such thing as moral victories, stop hanging hats on losses it’s a bad look.

But he didn’t and is still injured. As such they aren’t a top 25 team.

But I guess losing to Southern Miss doesn’t.

Of course it does. It’s affecting Tulane’s ranking just as much as Notre Dame’s equally awful losses to Marshall and Stanford. Besides, their 2 losses are a combined 10 points - are you already dropping the “losses don’t matter if they’re close” argument you presented for Texas?

Of course it does. It’s affecting Tulane’s ranking just as much as Notre Dame’s equally awful losses to Marshall and Stanford. Besides, their 2 losses are a combined 10 points - are you already dropping the “losses don’t matter if they’re close” argument you presented for Texas?
If you lose close to the top teams in the country, it absolutely matters. Southern Miss and UCF aren’t Alabama and TCU, or even Texas Tech for that matter. Texas is simply better than Tulane and, if they were to meet, they’d knock Tulane even farther below sea level than they already are in New Orleans.

If you lose close to the top teams in the country, it absolutely matters. Southern Miss and UCF aren’t Alabama and TCU, or even Texas Tech for that matter. Texas is simply better than Tulane and, if they were to meet, they’d knock Tulane even farther below sea level than they already are in New Orleans.

So we are considering Oklahoma State, losers of 3/4 games, and Texas Tech as top teams in the country?

It doesn’t change the fact top 25 teams find ways to win those close games, especially against the Oklahoma States and Texas Techs of the world. Texas lost those games.

Close losses either count or they don’t count. Can’t have it both ways.

Anyone following college basketball the last week? Take a look at this college basketball season and really think about when YOU start really paying attention. Here's why. College basketball has a 64 team tournament and a 4 team play in. While that's great for March Madness and allowing some teams who had good seasons to get into the tournament, it's also lessened the importance of regular season games. We'll see some college teams lose 8-10-12 games and still get in the tournament.
Currently, most of us watch alot of college football on the weekends as each game is critically important to staying eligible for the 4 team playoff. For most teams, only an undefeated season gets you in, for a select few 1 loss is permitted. This makes games 1-11 critical. In college basketball, it's not that way at all and as great as March Madness is, it's de-emphasized the regular season for basketball. This is what football will look like as we continue to add teams to the playoffs.

Anyone following college basketball the last week? Take a look at this college basketball season and really think about when YOU start really paying attention. Here's why. College basketball has a 64 team tournament and a 4 team play in.
Yeah, it has nothing to do with the fact it’s nearly a 6 month season. 🙄

I'm a Texas fan, they're not a Top 25 team. Top 25 teams don't find ways to lose that many close games. Top 25 teams aren't 11-6 at home over the course of the last 3 seasons.

Arkansas is 2-4 in the SEC, and 5-5 overall with a loss to Liberty at home. They were struggling even before Jefferson got hurt. They're not a Top 25 team.

That Tulane win over Kansas St is a damn good win. Maybe not as good as at top 10 Notre Dame last year, but that's about as good a non-conference win as any out there.

Anyone following college basketball the last week? Take a look at this college basketball season and really think about when YOU start really paying attention. Here's why. College basketball has a 64 team tournament and a 4 team play in. While that's great for March Madness and allowing some teams who had good seasons to get into the tournament, it's also lessened the importance of regular season games. We'll see some college teams lose 8-10-12 games and still get in the tournament.
Currently, most of us watch alot of college football on the weekends as each game is critically important to staying eligible for the 4 team playoff. For most teams, only an undefeated season gets you in, for a select few 1 loss is permitted. This makes games 1-11 critical. In college basketball, it's not that way at all and as great as March Madness is, it's de-emphasized the regular season for basketball. This is what football will look like as we continue to add teams to the playoffs.
No it won't. That's a tired narrative you keep bringing up. People will continue to pay attention to and attend games because football is king. I don't know if you actually even believe this BS you speak of or if you're just trying to hold the line on this stance because you desperately want to be right, but either way the regular season will not have any less importance moving to 12 from 4.

Last edited:
Entirely different dynamic to the regular season for both sports. Basketball has a much longer season with games spattered throughout the week as opposed to the (generally) sacred Saturday game day for college football.

The nature of basketball also lends itself to having a lot more upsets (the tournament is exciting, but definitely not the best way to crown a true champ). Real championship caliber teams do not get upset multiple times in college football (*🙄 at Notre Dame and their losses to Marshall and Stanford *).

No it won't. That's a tired narrative you keep bringing up. People will continue to pay attention to and attend games because football is king. I don't know if you actually even believe this BS you speak of or if you're just trying to hold the line on this stance because you desperately want to be right, but either way the regular season will not have any less importance moving to 12 from 4.
Again, yes it will. Anytime you expand the numbers of teams playing for the championship, it lessens the impact of regular season games. To use a very simple example, in 1970 in the NFL, there were two conferences, 3 divisions per conference. The division winner and one wild card made it to the playoffs, that's it. Regular season games were much more critical then. Now, was the popularity there? No. Access to games was limited, obviously more difficult gamble and fantasy football wasn't around.
So from a college football standpoint, there are 4 going in this year's playoff, and as of today there is what, 6/7 teams with a legitimate claim to make the playoffs, and it's really down to about 5 teams.
Now, will the games be hyped and hyped, of course, the networks do have to "generate" interest and they do that well. But believe me, some of the early season college football games will be less important to many because most of the big boys will have a slush of 2-3 losses they can afford before it takes them out of the playoff.

Again, yes it will. Anytime you expand the numbers of teams playing for the championship, it lessens the impact of regular season games. To use a very simple example, in 1970 in the NFL, there were two conferences, 3 divisions per conference. The division winner and one wild card made it to the playoffs, that's it. Regular season games were much more critical then. Now, was the popularity there? No. Access to games was limited, obviously more difficult gamble and fantasy football wasn't around.
So from a college football standpoint, there are 4 going in this year's playoff, and as of today there is what, 6/7 teams with a legitimate claim to make the playoffs, and it's really down to about 5 teams.
Now, will the games be hyped and hyped, of course, the networks do have to "generate" interest and they do that well. But believe me, some of the early season college football games will be less important to many because most of the big boys will have a slush of 2-3 losses they can afford before it takes them out of the playoff.
You continually repeating it doesn’t make it true. The NFL has expanded the playoffs and nothing has happened in regards to interest.

You continually repeating it doesn’t make it true. The NFL has expanded the playoffs and nothing has happened in regards to interest.
Ok, is the interest due to the games themselves, or the gambling/ fantasy aspect??? I'd actually say for some, the last week of the regular season and playoffs are less interesting because the fantasy leagues are over.

Remember when no one cared about Bills-Rams to open the season because both teams could afford a loss? Lol.

Ok, is the interest due to the games themselves, or the gambling/ fantasy aspect??? I'd actually say for some, the last week of the regular season and playoffs are less interesting because the fantasy leagues are over.
Okay, so you’re just going to continually jump from ridiculous claim to ridiculous claim without backing any of it with facts?

Early season college football games already don't matter. If you lose early, you can still make the Playoff. Clemson, Alabama, Oklahoma and Ohio State have all proven that. Look at Oregon, they were 6th before losing last week. They lost by 46 points to Georgia in Week 1, completely fell from the Rankings and made it all the way back to #6.

In the future 12-team model, there would be at LEAST 27 teams in the P5, plus the American which is likely to get the G5 bid this year, playing in games to keep them alive in the Conference Championship hunt. Remember the highest 6 ranked Conference Champions will get in. Then 6 more at-large spots. More games will matter, especially this time of year with a bigger playoff field. To claim otherwise is nonsense.

Last edited:
Early season college football games already don't matter. If you lose early, you can still make the Playoff. Clemson, Alabama, Oklahoma and Ohio State have all proven that. Look at Oregon, they were 6th before losing last week. They lost by 46 points to Georgia in Week 1, completely fell from the Rankings and made it all the way back to #6.
I think it depends. Oregon even winning out was in a tough spot because they got hammered by Georgia, and they are the best team in the country. I also feel Clemson's not capable of losing early and making the playoffs with their ACC schedule.

I'd like to see college football go to some kind of weighted value of games based on the opponents, who they beat, etc. Kind of like the computer points system used by Ohio high school football. I'd rather see WHO you beat, than how many losses you have. Who knows, by the time all this gets sorted out in January, we may see that Alabama is the 2nd/ 3rd best team in the country. They did lose to Georgia and Tennesse in nail biters on the road.

I think it depends. Oregon even winning out was in a tough spot because they got hammered by Georgia, and they are the best team in the country. I also feel Clemson's not capable of losing early and making the playoffs with their ACC schedule.
Oregon was 6th. They were two spots removed from the top 4. They needed to win out, which didn't happen but they were a TCU loss and the Ohio St/Michigan game not being a classic from being #4.

Clemson has literally made the Playoff three times with 1-ACC loss on their schedule. Do you even look things up before you post?

There's already dwindling interest in the playoff because the same 5-6 schools have effectively monopolized access to the 4 team playoff barring falling flat on their faces. By far the best ratings were with the inaugural season of the playoff.

Interest will increase with expansion as more teams have meaningful late season games.