Biggest Coaching Waste of Money

Which HC will end up having the most painful contract?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

AEW Champion

Your wife’s favorite poster
Which coach will a school and its alumni most regret giving a huge contract?

James Franklin, Penn State — Has a 10-year, $70 million guaranteed contract that runs thru 2031. Total value of contract is closer to $85 million. Franklin is 72-35 at PSU with one conference title (2016), has three 11-win seasons, but has never lost fewer than two games in a year and is a mere 16-12 from 2020 to 2022, including 5-1 this year.

Mel Tucker, Michigan State — Has a 10-year, $95 million fully guaranteed contract that runs thru 2031. Tucker has limited college head coaching experience (2019 Colorado, 2020-current MSU). He is 16-11 at MSU (10-10 Big Ten) and his 2021 season (11-2) was his only winning season so far as a head coach. They’re off to a poor 3-4 start this year.

Brian Kelly, LSU — Has a 10-year, $95 million contact thru 2031 that could be worth a bit more than $100 million. Kelly has a considerably good head coaching record, including a BCS bowl appearance at UC; a national title game appearance in 2012; and College Football Playoff appearances in 2018 and 2020. However, his reputation for losing big games and not seeming to be a fun coach to play for have followed him to Baton Rouge. LSU is off to a 5-2 start but lost to FSU after special teams gaffes and got blown out at home by Tennessee in a listless effort. The team has also failed to fully use ballyhooed WR Kayshon Boutte.

Jimbo Fisher, Texas A&M — Has a 10-year, $95 million guaranteed contract thru 2031. Fisher’s tenure as a head coach seems to have peaked with a 2013 BCS national title at Florida State, surrounded by ACC titles in 2012 and 2014. Without Jameis Winston, the program sagged off, ending with a poor 5-6 mark in 2017 before Fisher bolted for A&M. Since then, he is 37-17 at A&M, including 22-14 in the SEC. His high mark so far was 9-1 in 2020 with a #4 ranking to finish after missing the CFP. This year he is 3-3 including a puzzling loss to App State and a beatdown in Starkville. Mediocre offense and lack of QB development have been a mark of his A&M tenure.

Brent Venables, Oklahoma — Venables has a six-year, $43.5 million contract thru 2027. He spent considerable time as co-DC and DC at Oklahoma before a decade as DC at Clemson, winning two national titles. He has no head coaching experience and is 4-3 this year (1-3 Big 12), including a blowout loss to TCU and a historic 49-0 loss vs Texas (without Dillon Gabriel). This program was stripped of much of its talent when Lincoln Riley left, but the early results are still cause for concern.

It’s true, it’s true. Trust me …

Mel Tucker easily but all four schools deserve to be pointed and laughed at for their awful contracts. Brent doesn’t deserve to be on this list yet. Also don’t forget BK needed back to back possessions where Auburn lost a fumble (that LSU fell on in the end zone) and a missed FG that resulted in a 10 point swing.

Brian Kelly looks like a guy who's looking forward to retirement. He got is mega-bag at LSU and will put in a half-assed effort till he's canned in 2024

Brian Ferentz @ $900,000.

Jason Candle @ $1.2 million. Every coach in the MAC is better and they earn half of what he makes. The Tim Beckman/Matt Campbell/Jason Candle tree needs to die.

Jason Candle.
Bingo. Very underwhelming value added relative to what he's paid and relative to what a lot of other coaches would deliver at Toledo.

I would be perfectly fine if they moved on from him if he doesn't win the MAC championship game this year.

Brian Ferentz @ $900,000.

Jason Candle @ $1.2 million. Every coach in the MAC is better and they earn half of what he makes. The Tim Beckman/Matt Campbell/Jason Candle tree needs to die.
I have a buddy who attended Mount Union, and I constantly remind him how mediocre Campbell and Candle are when it comes to coaching. I have 2 sons at UT, and they want Candle gone as well because his teams never get up for the big game. We'll see if that changes this year since they've already made the MAC title game in Detroit.

I have a buddy who attended Mount Union, and I constantly remind him how mediocre Campbell and Candle are when it comes to coaching. I have 2 sons at UT, and they want Candle gone as well because his teams never get up for the big game. We'll see if that changes this year since they've already made the MAC title game in Detroit.
They all started when Beckman was hired in 2008. From 2009 to 2022 UT has won 1 MAC title and that was in 2017, which was a down year for the league and against a bad Akron squad. This despite having the top recruiting class in the MAC most years in that same timeframe, the top facilities, and more payroll for coaches.

Scot Loeffler makes less than half of what Candle makes, has half the talent, and beat UT at home last night.

They all started when Beckman was hired in 2008. From 2009 to 2022 UT has won 1 MAC title and that was in 2017, which was a down year for the league and against a bad Akron squad. This despite having the top recruiting class in the MAC most years in that same timeframe, the top facilities, and more payroll for coaches.

Scot Loeffler makes less than half of what Candle makes, has half the talent, and beat UT at home last night.
And let me tell ya, Dad enjoyed that victory last night given that I'm a BG grad (took the boys awhile to respond to my text messages this morning). If Candle was a good coach, a bigger school would've scooped him up by now. BG lost Urban, Dave Clawson and Dino Babers pretty quickly after having some success.

Plus Candle is not likable. He walks around with his resting bitch face which I do not think is him, but more what he wants portrayed because he thinks that is what top coaches look like.

It is simply time to part ways.

And let me tell ya, Dad enjoyed that victory last night given that I'm a BG grad (took the boys awhile to respond to my text messages this morning). If Candle was a good coach, a bigger school would've scooped him up by now. BG lost Urban, Dave Clawson and Dino Babers pretty quickly after having some success.
For sure. The MAC has always been a stepping stone.

Saban and Gary Pinkel from UT as well.

Buddies and I would always joke that Campbell sold a bag of goods and he better continue to upsell or he will get stuck. Well, he is now stuck. He was being mentioned for all kinds of jobs prior to a year ago.

Which coach will a school and its alumni most regret giving a huge contract?

James Franklin, Penn State — Has a 10-year, $70 million guaranteed contract that runs thru 2031. Total value of contract is closer to $85 million. Franklin is 72-35 at PSU with one conference title (2016), has three 11-win seasons, but has never lost fewer than two games in a year and is a mere 16-12 from 2020 to 2022, including 5-1 this year.

Mel Tucker, Michigan State — Has a 10-year, $95 million fully guaranteed contract that runs thru 2031. Tucker has limited college head coaching experience (2019 Colorado, 2020-current MSU). He is 16-11 at MSU (10-10 Big Ten) and his 2021 season (11-2) was his only winning season so far as a head coach. They’re off to a poor 3-4 start this year.

Brian Kelly, LSU — Has a 10-year, $95 million contact thru 2031 that could be worth a bit more than $100 million. Kelly has a considerably good head coaching record, including a BCS bowl appearance at UC; a national title game appearance in 2012; and College Football Playoff appearances in 2018 and 2020. However, his reputation for losing big games and not seeming to be a fun coach to play for have followed him to Baton Rouge. LSU is off to a 5-2 start but lost to FSU after special teams gaffes and got blown out at home by Tennessee in a listless effort. The team has also failed to fully use ballyhooed WR Kayshon Boutte.

Jimbo Fisher, Texas A&M — Has a 10-year, $95 million guaranteed contract thru 2031. Fisher’s tenure as a head coach seems to have peaked with a 2013 BCS national title at Florida State, surrounded by ACC titles in 2012 and 2014. Without Jameis Winston, the program sagged off, ending with a poor 5-6 mark in 2017 before Fisher bolted for A&M. Since then, he is 37-17 at A&M, including 22-14 in the SEC. His high mark so far was 9-1 in 2020 with a #4 ranking to finish after missing the CFP. This year he is 3-3 including a puzzling loss to App State and a beatdown in Starkville. Mediocre offense and lack of QB development have been a mark of his A&M tenure.

Brent Venables, Oklahoma — Venables has a six-year, $43.5 million contract thru 2027. He spent considerable time as co-DC and DC at Oklahoma before a decade as DC at Clemson, winning two national titles. He has no head coaching experience and is 4-3 this year (1-3 Big 12), including a blowout loss to TCU and a historic 49-0 loss vs Texas (without Dillon Gabriel). This program was stripped of much of its talent when Lincoln Riley left, but the early results are still cause for concern.

It’s true, it’s true. Trust me …
Scott Frost-Nebraska
Tom Herman-Texas
Mario Cristobal-Miami
Herm Edwards-Arizona State
Bret Bielema (Arkansas tenure)
Rich Rodriguez (UM tenure)
Randy Edsall-Maryland
Lane Kiffin (UT, USC tenures)
Willie Taggert- Florida State
Bill O'Brien-Penn State
Charlie Strong-Texas

Scott Frost-Nebraska
Tom Herman-Texas
Mario Cristobal-Miami
Randy Edsall-Maryland
Bill O'Brien-Penn State
Charlie Strong-Texas
I would not say O’Brien was overvalued at PSU. In fact, thought he did well all things considered after the Sandusky fallout.

Have to agree with the above sentiment that if Candle was any good, somebody bigger would have scooped him up by now. It is an enormous red flag that this is his 7th full year as the HC at Toledo.

Jimbo.

Jimbo.

That Salon read was solid, also a good link to a story on the mess that is Iowa's coaching situation.

I always thought Texas A&M is one of the most delusional fan bases in all of sports. They make it seem like they are one of the top 5 programs in the history of NCAA FB and they have only 1 national title recognized by the AP or Coaches poll and that was over 80 years ago in 1939, have done squat in the BCS/CFP era. They also have a losing bowl record. Then you have the crazy fandom aspects like the yell practice and the former multi story bonfire that was finally ended because it killed 12 people. I will give them credit for one thing, they have a really unique band that is mesmerizing to watch perform.

Scott Frost-Nebraska
Tom Herman-Texas
Mario Cristobal-Miami
Randy Edsall-Maryland
Bill O'Brien-Penn State
Charlie Strong-Texas
Ryan Day should be added to the list. Not a good head coach. His time is running out

Those who voted for Jimbo Fisher technically ended up winning this poll, pending whatever happens with Mel Tucker’s litigation.

I believe that A&M will eventually have paid Jimbo over $130 million between salary already paid and the buyout for a total of 45 wins. At least $2.9 million paid to him for each game he won for the Aggies.